Prospective PS4 owner here: How do you like yours?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by stryker1121 (1527 posts) -

In the next couple of weeks I'm planning on buying a PS4. Very simply to duders that own the system, how do you like it so far? Are you happy with your purchase, and why? Anything you're disappointed with thus far?

Bit concerned about space with 500GB and mandatory installs. Otherwise, I'm mostly a campaign gamer w/ little interest in multi-player. Will the PS4 satisfy my gaming needs? Any insight you guys could bring would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

It's a good system. It'll be fun to see how developers use it over the next decade.

The interface is my least favorite part, especially the party system. Inviting people to a party on 360 involved going to your friends and pushing X on their gamer tag. On PS4 you need to separately create a party, add people to a list, and then hit send on that list. That's a bummer. I think the store interface is pretty terrible too.

Those sorts of things will evolve over time, but hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Oh, and the chat quality for the parties is the worst I've ever heard. I can barely understand anything my friends are saying. It could just be the mics that they're using--the two that are hardest to understand use the shitty earbud that came with the system, so that could probably explain that part. The other friend that I can understand pretty well uses this and it sounds like a really shitty phone call with him.

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

Its great just needs time for the games to start flowing and to see where this whole PSNow thing is going(probably into the toilet).

#4 Edited by ripelivejam (4312 posts) -

It's great if you like ps3 games amirite?? [/badremasteredgamesjoke]

Seriously though the controller is exquisite. Only thing wrong with it really is i think it could stand to be even bigger. The ps4 i have access to does seem to overheat and freeze quite a bit, but we do keep it in a small cabinet that my roomate tends to keep mostly closed all the time...

#5 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

It's fine. Honestly, I've had mine since launch, but haven't gotten much use out of it. I like the controller for the most part, but don't like the system UI as much as the XMB.

#6 Posted by Shindig (547 posts) -

Fine and dandy but I've already had to buy a new controller because the previous owner's left stick went wonky.

#7 Posted by Nodima (1244 posts) -

It's great but I've owned it since February and my first controller's analog sticks began tearing on day 4; I bought a second controller near the end of March and it began tearing as well in the middle of July. Can't say enough about how much fun I've had with the next gen sports games, Destiny beta, inFamous, finally trying out Fez and even middling stuff like Watch Dogs. Everything about it just feels new.

One other nag, my system has NEVER recorded video, or if it does it only does it in 2-5 second intervals once a month or so. I've asked around everywhere and can't get a response; I plan to get a bigger hard drive after my birthday next month and hope re-installing the system software will sort things out.

#8 Edited by Amafi (878 posts) -

I love it. I play games on the toilet on it using the vita, the controller is great minus the battery life, and it doesn't get very loud or hot (at least not yet). Games aren't there yet though.

I've also been lucky with my controllers I guess. I've got the one that came with the PS4 and one I bought a couple of months before I bought the PS4 to use with my PC, and there's no sign of wear on either. There must be just straight up shitty manufacturing runs of the things out there. Or maybe quality control hasn't been what it should be, because I hear a lot of people talk about squeaky triggers, sticky bumpers and rubber peeling off sticks.

#9 Edited by Ares42 (2731 posts) -

It's fine. While I still don't think it has enough good triple A games to really be worth the purchase (think I've only played four $60 games on it so far), it has a good amount of decent to good "minor" games that makes it worthwhile booting it up once in a while. Games like Mercenary Kings, Rogue Legacy, Warframe and Resogun can keep your attention for a while if you're into that kinda stuff.

Pretty happy with the base system overall though, the only real problems I've had with the console so far is that some games have some "rushed for launch" qualities to them.

#10 Edited by csl316 (8985 posts) -

I like it a lot. Have 10 physical games plus some digital ones. It's my preferred system at the moment, and I use it for Amazon Prime.

It's basically fulfilling the role that my 360 fulfilled last gen. I'll get the Xbox One for exclusives eventually, but right now I'm really happy with my PS4 (and Wii U!)

#11 Edited by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

Deciding which console to buy is super hard, I'm actually in the middle of deciding too. Grrrrr

#12 Edited by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -

I like mine, had it since July. The controller is probably the best I've ever used. I'm using it for my PC and my PS3. I think the user-interface could use some work, and there's some things that the system is straight up missing (like the ability to pause downloads). I also don't think the console has a system-selling game yet. There's some good games on it, but nothing outstanding. Honestly, it feels more like an investment for the future right now. There's some really exciting games coming out over the course of the next year, and when we reach the point that they start releasing, I think I'm going to feel much better about getting a next-gen system.

#13 Posted by Dussck (298 posts) -

I've got one since launch and I like it alot. I'm not gaming more then an hour a day on average, so I'm not feeling there's not enough games to play. I like the mix of big and smaller (indie) titles and looking forward to alot this year and early next year.

Playing The Last of Us now (that game has some amazing gameplay) and some Rogue Legacy (mostly on Vita), looking forward to next month to dive in Destiny's world with some friends and after that it's crazyness in october and november.

#14 Posted by spookytapes (264 posts) -

I've had mine since launch and don't have many complaints. I've finished a handful of games on it so far. It's fine. I like it better than the Xbox One that I got around the same time.

Having the headphone jack on the controller is great. I just plug my big fancy headphones that have an inline mic in and it works perfect for me. I like the touchpad on the controller as well. The UI needs a little refinement but is much snappier and easier to get around than the xbox one dash IMO.

#15 Edited by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

I really like it. It started off as just an AC4 and Battlefield machine but now it's where I play all the weird indie games I get with ps+. I'm actually having a good time with Playstation Now at the moment, I used to rent games a lot before digital became

big. Why go pick up physical media anymore? So I pan on using it to play games I wouldn't normally try on the ps3. The 3 month rental tends to be worth it for most of them.

Oh and best device for Netflix and movie rentals. I use it for that pretty constantly.

#16 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (659 posts) -

I'm really enjoying mine. I haven't needed to delete anything yet. I have five disc based games, 10 months of PS+ games, a digital copy of Injustice, and a few other downloaded games (Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Worms, ect). Installs don't take very long off of the disc if you need to delete something to make room later on (many games can be played before installation is complete). My PS4 is my primary Netflix/Hulu/YouTube box in my house (simply for the speed in which it loads those things). I even watch Giant Bomb content on my big TV through the browser.

For me personally, I feel there are enough games to justify the purchase right now. But also remember that you're buying it as in investment for the next 6+ years of games. Nothing really that I dislike about it. I wish I could play media over my home network or off of an external hard drive or USB stick. Still waiting to be able to import my own music.

Pro tip: If you don't already have PS+, just get a 3 month card for now. Around Black Friday you can get 1-year PS+ cards for $30. Last year I was able to tweak around with some deals and got 3 years for $80.

#17 Posted by BatmanBatman (411 posts) -

I like mine, although I only own 4 games so far. I think overall it's a nice system and the interface is pretty good in my opinion (although I'm mainly a SP guy, that does not care to much for zhe onlinez) I can also see the 500GB becoming small pretty fast, depending on how you use it -- The gamepad is borderline superb imo -- There is the obvious lack of titles right now, so I'm playing much more of my other systems, but I'm hoping that will change soon enough. All in all pretty happy with my purchase.

#18 Posted by stryker1121 (1527 posts) -

It's great if you like ps3 games amirite?? [/badremasteredgamesjoke]

Seriously though the controller is exquisite. Only thing wrong with it really is i think it could stand to be even bigger. The ps4 i have access to does seem to overheat and freeze quite a bit, but we do keep it in a small cabinet that my roomate tends to keep mostly closed all the time...

Funny you should say that, as the recent release of TLoU remastered has spurred to pick up a PS4 now rather than wait til more games drop in the fall. Seems a bit ass-backwards on my part.

#19 Posted by MethodMan008 (817 posts) -

I hate the stupid UI.. Can't wait till I have a better way to orgainize all my games.

Other than that, it is a good system so far.. I prefer the DS4 to the Xbox One controller, though it is by a marginal enough amount that I still use the Xbone controller on my PC.

#20 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (298 posts) -

I just sold mine to a friend for 380$.

#21 Edited by planetfunksquad (467 posts) -

Had one since the end of June. I like it a lot. I can see it being a great system given a few years but right now, along with the Xbox 1, I wouldn't consider it a must have. If you can't see anything that you HAVE to play on it then theres nothing wrong with waiting.

#22 Posted by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

It's a good system with a solid foundation and a very bright future ahead of it filled with a lot of awesome games. Right now though I would say wait to get one until there are a handful of games you REALLY want to play on it.

#23 Posted by impartialgecko (1631 posts) -

Great controller. Enough games on the system that if you're not playing everything on PC it's worth getting. Having a blast with mine.

#24 Posted by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

I'm happy I made that early investment, PS+ and Destiny alpha then beta and crazy Japanese shit has been great and then the surprise Bloodborne coming Q1 2015, I am thrilled but stuck waiting. The rubber on the DS4 has started giving up only now (launch), there's a new "model" of DS4 pad out with entirely different rubber out, same with the PS4 itself to have more reliable BR drive mechanics and wifi.

It's not as good of a console as the NeoGeo AES but what is? It's #2, same for the DS4 pad, next after the NeoGeo AES stick.

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11306 posts) -

I like it a whole lot. It's a swell system.

#26 Edited by BigSocrates (402 posts) -

It's okay. The biggest "problem" is that I haven't really played much AAA stuff on it. I've spent much more time with games like Transistor, Crimsonland, and Rogue Legacy that just don't require the PS4's horsepower. Battlefield 4 was a massive disappointment, but that's not the PS4's fault. Personally I'd probably have been better off waiting until there were some games that really excited me, though I doubt the Ps4 will drop in price too much before there's something I'm desperate to play, so in the end I'm not too upset with the purchase.

And Transistor was a hell of a game, so I'm glad I got to play that when it was released.

#27 Edited by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

I honestly haven't been getting much use out of it in terms of games. Also if you have a Vita, remote play is pretty great. I've mostly been using it to watch stuff on Amazon Video and Crunchyroll.

#28 Edited by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

I've been really enjoying it. The top tier games are still few and far between, but that will only improve. All the big games this fall look great, Destiny, Far Cry, LOTR, Assassin's Creed. The smaller stuff is great, though. I don't have a PC and I'm really enjoying having a system to play these cool PC games that have been coming out over the last few years (Rogue Legacy, Outlast, Don't Starve, Surgeon Simulator comes out soon, etc.).

The PS4 seems to have taken the "lead platform" position the 360 had last gen, and while the differences are usually pretty minor, they are still there. Sony's first party and exclusives still feel more unique than those found on the One. And then something like Bloodborne exists and solidifies the choice for me.

That said, in actuality I have not used it much in the last few months. My back catalog, thanks in part to PS+, is huge on the PS3 and I've been trying to dwindle it down.

#29 Posted by Glottery (1322 posts) -

Having lots of fun with it, though I'm still waiting for the Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter/Crash game of the generation. Stupid Knack...

#30 Posted by ripelivejam (4312 posts) -

damn it i should have said lightly braised.

#31 Edited by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

"Oh no, you should skip it. I mean skip this whole generation really. Did you like the previous consoles? You did? Ahhh well still skip it. Mandatory installs are so bad! And there's no single-player games ever being made ever again!"

I mean was anyone ever going to say that?

#32 Posted by Bleaker (25 posts) -

@glottery: Well Ratchet and Clank is getting remade for next year so...FUCK YEAH!

Anyway, this console has basically become the entertainment center of my room. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I use it for Netflix and Blu-rays a lot. The games are the real reason to get any next gen system...but you can get most of them on the older systems. Some of the truly great games like Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed 4 and MGS 5 (yes I still fucking love that shortass game) can be bought on the older systems. Killzone: Shadow Fall and Infamous: Second Son are both fantastic, but Infamous has no replayability (virtually) and Killzone's multiplayer is great...but slowly dying.

The UI is great for me. I wish I could have folders and themes and what not, but having a Party Chat is a great improvement from PS3. Menu's are cluttered, but you get used to it. Trying to use an Xbox One is a clusterfuck I tell you. Not trying to dis that console but that UI is godawful for me. I can not find my way around anything. So far I love the PS4, but there isn't a whole lot to play. Until October. Then boy are we in for some treats.

#33 Posted by Glottery (1322 posts) -

@bleaker said:

@glottery: Well Ratchet and Clank is getting remade for next year so...FUCK YEAH!

Oh yeah, because of the movie and all, had totally forgot about that! Could've used a completely new entry in the series, but hopefully a remake of a 13 years old game will change drastically enough to feel somewhat fresh and new.

#34 Posted by overnow (219 posts) -

I love everything about it except that I've gotten the squeaky R2 on 2 controllers so far and I think I may be close to getting it on a third, the noise hasn't started yet but I noticed a change in how pulling it felt with the other two before they squeaked and I'm starting to feel that a little with my new one.

I would also really evaluate the games list. I personally waited until July to buy mine so I had 4 games off the bat that I wanted/had not played elsewhere (UFC, Watch_Dogs, Infamous, and Need for Speed) plus all the PS+ stuff, but if you have aren't the type of gamer who really has one specific genre that you enjoy then I would probably wait for there to be a few more options within that genre.

#35 Posted by Aquablak (198 posts) -

Love the system, love the controller, zero regrets in going with the PS4 this gen (was a big 360 guy last gen).

That said, my controller is currently getting repaired (broken R2), and I've got a friend who's had the rubber on his analog stick wear through, so the build quality on the controllers leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, I wish I could watch ripped videos from a flash drive.

Apart from those issues, I have zero complaints and would do it all over again.

#36 Posted by mbradley1992 (239 posts) -

My wife uses it for Netflix. That's genuinely the most use it's gotten overall. There's nothing to play on it really. Infamous was really the only thing new and exclusive that was good. Killzone and Knack were, well, launch game quality. The Last of Us: Remastered is great if you are in love with the game enough to spend another $60 on it (assuming you played it on PS3). Everything else good is multi-plat. I love it and think it's an incredible system. I WANT to use it. There's just a drought right now.

#37 Posted by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

Question to those about the controller quality - what exactly happens with the rubber on the sticks? I see some people use the word "tear"... does it just kind of wear off quickly and easily or does the rubber split or something? I just find it so hard to believe that the rubber would wear down so fast on a console that has been available for at most 9 months.

#38 Posted by SSully (4234 posts) -

Really enjoy it. There is a ton of great downloadable games(especially if you dont have a pc) and plenty of regular games as well. Infamous Second Son is probably the best exclusive still.

My biggest complaint is there is no way to pause downloads. It seems like such a simple thing to leave out.

#39 Posted by TurboMan (7605 posts) -

Great machine that I use often for Netflix/WWE and the occasional afternoon playing a PSN game or FIFA/NBA/Whatever's in the rotation.

No giant AAA games have popped up for it (Infamous was great but short) that are things you need to buy the console to experience just yet, but it's the only console I use to play games on right now. Works great with a vita, I use cross save all the time.

#40 Edited by isomeri (1319 posts) -

My console's maybe a tad loud, the right trigger on one of my controllers is starting to give out and there isn't much to play on the platform yet. Other than those complaints I've had a really good time with my PS4.

#41 Posted by MEATBALL (3334 posts) -

I really like the system. The controller is fantastic, I'm happy with the UI and most of its features, games look great, and it looks like it's the best place to play most 3rd party titles. I don't have an Xbox One, so I can't speak to how the PS4 compares to it, but I'm very happy to have bought it (I'm hoping I'll be able to buy an Xbox One some time before the year is out - Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection is a pretty nice lineup for the rest of the year)

#42 Posted by EthanielRain (882 posts) -

It needs to play media from USB like the PS3 does. Otherwise I love it, great console so far.

#43 Posted by cannonballBAM (605 posts) -

@stryker1121: I love it and P.T. is the best game I have played all year. So you will already have a good game waiting for you at no cost.

#44 Posted by Mitch0712 (478 posts) -

@stryker1121: I'm enjoying all the free games from PS Plus as well as the streaming and sharing features. Right now I'm playing Rogue Legacy and The Last of Us. I think you'll enjoy one.

#45 Edited by Maginnovision (488 posts) -

I have used mine for rogue legacy. Play on ps3 in my office, vita wherever, and ps4 in front room. I literally haven't used it for anything else. Oh yea, I use my xbox one for all my Netflix/amazon videos.

#46 Posted by whitegreyblack (305 posts) -

Pretty neat so far, but I honestly do not own much for it and might not own much for a while (I am severely limiting how quickly I can buy games since I have a seriously huge game back-log).

The system is OK to look at, stays quiet and does not get nearly as warm as my fat PS3. Controller is nice and fits the hands well, but I do actually find my thumbs getting sore from the shape of the thumbsticks.

Not a fan of having to pay for PS Plus to get actual multiplayer (though, I guess it was going to happen at some point, right?) but I will likely drop PS Plus after my buddy & I thoroughly complete Diablo 3 & Destiny; since I rarely play games online and the free monthly games have been novel but not essential (for my situation, anyway).

Games library needs to heat up, but that will certainly come with time.

I have used Netflix on the PS4; though a WDTV-Live is my small, silent Netflix streaming box of choice. I do have to say that Playstation 3 & 4 have the best Netflix apps I have used. I am a bit bummed about DLNA being nixed, but again - that's what I bought the WDTV-Live for (I used to use the PS3 for DLNA on my main TV, but that got moved down to the game room).

Bottom-line: if there are games you buy and enjoy, it's worth it. If you can wait a while, then wait and know that the system and games will be waiting for you, when you are ready. I would have waited until at least 2015/2016 if my friend and I did not want to play Destiny co-operatively.

#47 Posted by antonphotog (9 posts) -

I am really happy with mine. it might be missing some features that are baked into the ps3, like all the media stuff, but that's going to be there in the future. its not a big deal to me because i stream my entire library of videos via PLEX. the webapp works perfectly in ps4's browser. also giant bomb.com works very well in ps4 browser and you can watch all videos no problem. the only thing that doesn't seem to work are audio podcasts, but i have my phone for that. The games are pretty great, you got some nice freebies with ps plus, im excited to see what the future holds.

I would just go ahead and pick one up now, or get the white destiny bundle, if you wait for a price drop i think your gonna be waiting for at least 3 or 4 years (maybe longer). The biggest factor i would say now is basically if your big on multiplayer and your friends have it then just go ahead and get one. If you want to wait on picking one up know that the only thing you are really waiting on is more games to come out, because like i said earlier i doubt a price drop will be coming within the next 4 years.

#48 Edited by Marcsman (3239 posts) -

Right now is the absolute best time to own a PS4. With Diablo III UEE & inFamous First Light. I'm having a blast. Plus Destiny in 9 days. Wahoo. The Golden Age of Sony has returned.

#49 Posted by OneLoneClone (92 posts) -

Great system, but the rubber on the thumbsticks wears off pretty easily and the triggers can get squeaky.

#50 Edited by ZokuGojira (26 posts) -

Haven't had any issues with R2, L2, but R1, L1 were sticking a bit. Fortunately, there are vids on Youtube that show how to pop those out without disassembling the controller, and clean out any gunk that's causing them to stick. No problems since.

Rubberized thumbstick covers are recommended, but check out the ones marketed for the 360 controller, rather than the ones that say DS3, DS4. Anything that fits the DS3 thumbsticks is too damn big for the smaller, thinner DS4 sticks. There'll likely be some trial and error here, but the various tabs and covers are usually only a few bucks for a package.

What I ultimately did is picked up a set of Modsticks Pro aluminum thumbsticks, since I like the idea of something that won't wear out. The tops can be unscrewed and swapped out, but I like the low-rider set and will probably put some lock-tite in there soon to prevent accidental loosening during intense gameplay. But the experience of disassembling and reassembling the DS4 is not one I'd recommend unless you have a great deal of patience, experience working on controllers, a steady hand, a clean workspace, and most importantly of all, the disposable income to buy a new controller if you stuff it all up with one careless move.

Loving the PS4 and its quick, responsive interface. Plus has been a huge value, and with it my games collection has grown to the point where I could probably spent a year or more just going through my backlog. Largely on the PS3 that I already had, of course. One of my first purchases for the PS4 was a 1 terabyte hybrid drive, for under a hundred bucks, which is very easy to install, freeing up the included 500gb drive for use in a PS3 and potentially dropping the cost to get set up with one of those systems quite a bit. Definitely look into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.