Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS+ Won’t Be Required to Record and Stream Games on PS4

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Yoshida has confirmed on Twitter that Recording and Streaming won't be locked behind a pay wall, like other platforms. I kind of figured it wouldn't, given the "share" button on the controller, but in light of other platforms requiring a paid subscription to use it, it's good to know Sony will still only keep paid retail MP behind the PS+ paywall. As someone who pretty much only plays multiplayer on the PC to any real extent, I'll still pay for PS+ for the games, but it's cool that letting my Plus account lapse wouldn't block functionality for things like this.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I kind of figured it wouldn't, given the "share" button on the controller

I want Adam Boyes to make a video about this now.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It does seem strange that Microsoft is putting that feature behind a pay wall considering many people already stream games on current consoles.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is surprising, but I guess shouldn't be. I figured with the 400$ price tag, they'd put most of the key features behind a paywall. But yeah, they wouldn't have a whole button dedicated to sharing on the controller if you could only use it with PS+.

I also do all my multiplayer gaming on PC. Even then I'd say that multiplayer games make up only about 25% of my PC gaming. I play consoles for experiences I can't get on PC such as Japanese games, whatever Naughty Dog's next big game is, any exclusives in general, and Rockstar's next big game that isn't getting a PC port. Those experiences are always single player, so the PS4 is a very attractive secondary platform for someone who isn't terribly big on multiplayer gaming.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Krakn3Dfx
    No Caption Provided

Fake Hirai bringing it, lol.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, this will not be an issue for most hardcore Playstation gamers, as most have Playstation Plus. The key is in the messaging. Sony is still pushing to provide additional services people want in their subscription service while Microsoft forces all services behind their subscription service, basically forcing players to get it in order to enjoy most online services. In the end, most gamers get the same thing (whether or not the choose a PS4 or a X-box One), but to Sony's credit, they look like the good guy.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm really excited for the streaming feature, if it works as advertised. Being able to sit in on a friend's playthrough of a game -- or subject them to my own fumbling -- will be a lot of fun.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That's good for those who were looking to use that feature on either console.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimmyfenix

@superkenon: Friend 1 - "Hey dude im stuck against this boss in Killzone Shadowfall"

Friend 2 "No problem, Here is the boss fight " Shares video to friend

Friend 1 " Thanks dude! Oh wait you just need to shoot him in the head then ?"

Friend 2 "LOL"

I cant wait for the sharing features.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeJerk

They've talked of the ability to do something where a viewer can press a button, while viewing the stream, and give the player a health boost for example.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, from a comment on Kotaku about this. All of this sounds pretty cool:

"It's actually NOT capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded incase you do something unexpected, rather than wishing you had been recording and trying to recapture it. While actively recording/streaming, you're virtually unlimited.

Also, the retail PS4s we have here at work, we're able to capture footage from them using the same devices we've been using on the 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU.

Definitely not at liberty to say, sorry... but we are a studio with two unannounced multi-platform next gen titles in development.

Also the PS4 allows you to upload the videos to your PSN profile, or save them to the harddrive where they can be exported and brought into something like Premiere or Final Cut. You aren't limited to the included editing software or anything."

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, you still have to pay for multiplayer, not totally satisfied till they get rid of that, might wait for the price drop if that's the way there doing things.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51 said:

Meh, you still have to pay for multiplayer, not totally satisfied till they get rid of that, might wait for the price drop if that's the way there doing things.

lol

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bigjeffrey

Good for the people that wont be paying for PS+, Still sony pissed in your mouth by locking out multiplayer.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for the people that wont be paying for PS+, Still sony pissed in you mouth by locking out multiplayer.

It hurts because it's true.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Good for the people that wont be paying for PS+, Still sony pissed in you mouth by locking out multiplayer.

Been paying for PS+ for 2 years when MP wasn't locked behind it because of the other stuff it offered. I'm not too worried about it tbh. Unlike XBLG, you actually get something out of PS+.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Also, from a comment on Kotaku about this. All of this sounds pretty cool:

"It's actually NOT capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded incase you do something unexpected, rather than wishing you had been recording and trying to recapture it. While actively recording/streaming, you're virtually unlimited.

Also, the retail PS4s we have here at work, we're able to capture footage from them using the same devices we've been using on the 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU.

Definitely not at liberty to say, sorry... but we are a studio with two unannounced multi-platform next gen titles in development.

Also the PS4 allows you to upload the videos to your PSN profile, or save them to the harddrive where they can be exported and brought into something like Premiere or Final Cut. You aren't limited to the included editing software or anything."

That's all good news to people like me. I was worried they'd prevent traditional capture methods to force people to use their system.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

Good for the people that wont be paying for PS+, Still sony pissed in your mouth by locking out multiplayer.

I can live without multiplayer. The world won't end.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@excast said:

It does seem strange that Microsoft is putting that feature behind a pay wall considering many people already stream games on current consoles.

Not really, they had every pay for peer to peer multiplayer the first time around when people were already doing that for free with dedicated infrastructure on PC so this is totally their M.O.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Still sony pissed in your mouth by locking out multiplayer.

So is Microsoft just flat out taking a shit in your mouth?

And what about Nintendo? Are they letting people piss in their mouth seeing as how nothing is locked under a subscription fee and they give you $5 for every $50 you spend in the e-shop?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good to know! The less features behind a pay wall, the better for the mainstream.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.