Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS3 Games on PS4?

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By chilipeppersman

So Im stoked about the PS4. This is coming from a person who has been a windows/xbox person my whole life. I only had a PS2/PSP for about 6 months and sold it. What Ive never had is a PS3, mostly because I got my X360 cheaply off a friend and a bunch of Xlive for free, so much that I have it till December 2014. That given, I have not been a fan of X360 exclusives, and im very jealous of the exclusives on the PS3, but im saving my money for the PS4.

So the question remains, for someone like myself who never bought a PS3 and probably never will, can I expect to purchase exclusive PS3 games (i.e. uncharted series, last of us, Killzone series) through the PS4? Maybe through Gaikai? I heard that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with physical PS3 Disks. Can anyone confirm this? Or is it still in the rumor mill? Thanks duders :D

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

PS4 is not BC at all with PS3 (physical or digital) the only "hope" of playing PS3 games on PS4 is the Gaikai technology

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@anwar said:

There aren't that many games at launch and if you want to play ps3 exclusives that badly, why don't you buy a ps3 and some good exclusives until the ps4 has more and better games?

This is the answer. They are releasing a super slim PS3 for like 200 bucks. Get this thing and hook it up to a External HDD

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

You really should just pick up a PS3. Even if the PS4 can stream PS3 you'll have to wait awhile for all the good games to be streamable.

This is a really good deal right here.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The only hope you have of playing PS3 games on a PS4 is Gaikai at some point in 2014. The PS3's hard architecture is going to make it extremely difficult to port those games over, especially something like Last Of Us, where the coding was so specifically oriented to the hardware.

I would pick up a PS3, word is the 12GB version is launching this Sunday for $200, or you can pick up that GTA5 bundle for $270, which is an awesome deal.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That 12GB PS3 is a waste of money. The only way that thing becomes useful is if you buy the mounting kit and a larger HDD. By then you've already spent close to the GTA5 bundle. Get that and just wait on the PS4 especially considering you have a gaming rig.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I still totally want the ability to buy digital PS1/PS2 at least on PS4. There is so much Sony stuff I have missed out on kind of in and out of that console brand for awhile. PS3 may be a real longshot but we can hope right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.