Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

ps4 1tb or not 2b

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Is the ps4 1tb worth waiting for? I don't really want to bite till it goes under 300 with Argos, as, buy now, pay later is my only option

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

Yes, especially if you expect to be downloading any significant amount of digital games and DLC or if you like to have a handful of games installed all at the same time.

I have the 500 GB versions of both systems and that's quickly filled up. Sure a lot of that is installed games but the few digital items I own are in the 40-60 GBs range and I imagine that number will increase as the generation does.

If you can hold out, do it. But if you can find a decent deal on the 1 TB and don't mind adding an external hard drive down the line, might as well.

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Replacing the drive is super duper easy. If you can catch a deal on a 500gb model and a 1 or 2tb laptop drive (I used a 1tb I had from a retired laptop) for cheaper than a 1tb model alone I'd recommend that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Just watch this.

Loading Video...

Here's a link to the 1tb version of the hard drive on amazon. I actually just bought a 2tb hard drive myself.

Edit: Unless you don't have a Ps4 at all and are wondering whether or not to wait for a better skew. At that point I'd compare the price of both options to find a cost effective solution.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I actually just put a new, 2 TB hard drive in my PS4 today. 500 GB is not enough if you plan on playing a lot of larger games. Arkham Knight is about 55 GB fully installed and with the updates. One game. And I can only assume that, on average, games are just going to be getting bigger over time.

So, yeah. Go big or go home!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Just update to a 7200rpm 1TB hybrid drive. Fast and cheaper.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Considering that Argos is selling the 1TB one for £349.99 and the 500GB one for £324.99 (black) / £299.99 (white), I'd say go for it. And that Seagate drive 1TB goes for £44.99, so...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I am completely useless when it comes to computers, but zi managed to replace my PS4 hard drive with a minimal amount of fuss. If you see a deal on the 500 gig drive and the 2 TB is reasonable, go that route. Even a tersbyte is going to fill up fast.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aside from space, doesn't the machine run better, a lot quieter etc?

i don't really plan on downloading games

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna trade in my launch PS4 for the 1tb model mainly cause the improved cooling and the physical power/eject buttons.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hmoney001: wait what? i thought it just had a hard drive? improved cooling?

SimplyGames com have a 500 gig PS4s for just £279 and 1tb for £339

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ exac

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Can never update my PS4, because I'd lose P.T. Silent Hills, and therefore won't be able to sell it for $10,000 twenty years from now.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By monkeyking1969

I just put a 2TB drive in my launch PS4. It not hard, but MAKE SURE you get the latest full install of the OS (790MB - 800MB), Sony makes it tricky since the FULL INSTALL is not at the top when you look for it, Read down on the Sony page until you see info about installing new HDDs and what you need to do.

Basically, just watch the video above with BRAD. I went the same route of buying a external drive, removing it carefully from the case, and putting my old drive in the case afterward....it was pretty easy. I only jabbed the soft spot between thumb and forefinger three times with a sharp knife opening the case that is glued shut. Thankfully I did a very clean job and my new little external drive with the old PS4 dive in it looks perfect.

It is worth itfolks. 2TB is a sizable amount of room. I figure even at the aggressive rate in which I buy downloadable games, I have at least three years of space where I will never have to move anything. Don't wait for 1TB or bigger drives from Sony! Just buy a unit you want now with the holiday pricing/packins, and add the bigger drive later.

NOTE: Changing the drive and getting the OS installed is the easy part. The annoying part is re-downloading, updating, and getting all your DLC again. It took about 24 hours, but every once in awhile you put a discs in and its say, "downloading" and you toss your hands in the air. Just friendly advice - download your game saves FIRST, then start downloading your downloadable games or putting discs in.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I upgraded to two tb last Christmas. It would highly recommend everyone do the same

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OurSin_360

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.