PS4 Announcement on 20/2?

• 57 results
#1 Edited by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Playstation Blog just posted this teaser, which reveals the date 20/2. (I just realized you yanks might not understand the date: it's February 20th)

Is it, as thinks, just a red herring? Or an official PS4 reveal?

Edit with personal thoughts:

So just a week or so ago the CEO of Sony Kaz Hirai said that they were waiting for Microsoft to make the first move before talking about Orbis for realsies. Was that just him talking out of his ass? Or was it a ruse? For all we know, this might not even be an Orbis-related announcement (which will boil the blood of a lot of people, I imagine). Speaking of Microsoft, how will they react to this? Can we expect an announcement from them on February 19th? Will they remain silent until E3? Or hold their own event soon after Sony's? It's fun to follow these things, and I'm looking forward to February 20th with excitement. Either Internet will go up in flames because Sony won't mention Orbis, or Internet will go nuts debating over the newly announced console. Fun stuff!

#2 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Can't think of anything else it could be really.

#3 Posted by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

I bet they'll be releasing the PS4 on that date. I can guarantee it.

#4 Posted by Drazat (168 posts) -

Move 2 and remember i called it.

#5 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

Its the Sony mylo 2. I know it!

#6 Posted by OrangeSponge (53 posts) -

@TheKramer89: That's madness, but interesting. I can't wait to see.

#7 Posted by blessey (22 posts) -

Not the PS4 announcement.

Sony just said they would wait the Microsoft event before doing theirs, and we've got no date from Microsoft.

I'm thinking of a completely new PSN, with cross-platform in mind (VITA, PS3/4, Xperia, TV maybe ?)

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2929 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Is it, as thinks, just a red herring? Or an official PS4 reveal?

What does Sony gain from a 'red herring' though? I guess they can gauge consumer anticipation but trolling everyone won't go down well and will actually have the reverse response.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

They will actually be announcing Playstation All-Stars Karting.

#10 Posted by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

New console hype mode start, here we gooooooooooo

#11 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2918 posts) -

They should just go ahead and call it triangle O square X.

#12 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -

If they do my prediction was correct.

#13 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

MY BODY IS READY!

#14 Edited by l4wd0g (1908 posts) -
#15 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Didn't Kaz say they were going to let Micro make the first move?

#16 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -
@blessey

Not the PS4 announcement.

Sony just said they would wait the Microsoft event before doing theirs, and we've got no date from Microsoft.

I'm thinking of a completely new PSN, with cross-platform in mind (VITA, PS3/4, Xperia, TV maybe ?)

I believe it was Kaz Hirai who said that and I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I really don't see why they'd make a teaser like this for something as (relatively) trivial as a PSN overhaul either. That would really make more sense paired with a console announcement. I suppose Sony's done some dumb shit before though so who knows.
#17 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

@zyn said:

MY BODY IS READY!

Zing!

#18 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the PS9.

#19 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -
@l4wd0g I don't know if you're joking or not, but that's clearly a fake Twitter account.
#20 Edited by KaneRobot (1420 posts) -

I'm sure they want to at least get the word out before Microsoft this time, if not the actual console itself. Probably both.

Xbox announcement confirmed for 2/19?

#21 Posted by l4wd0g (1908 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex I was being derisive

#22 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

well fuck!

#23 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -
@l4wd0g
@FunkasaurasRex I was being derisive
Fair enough. My apologies then.
#24 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

If this isn't the new console then Sony fucked up. That video seems to indicate serious business going down.

#25 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@blessey said:

I think you are right. Unveiling the new PSN now makes a lot more sense than anything else I can think of. Whatever it is, I would bet just about anything that it's not PSforbis.

#26 Posted by Nilazz (607 posts) -

It's actually the playstation vita with a UMD drive!

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an announcement of a announcement.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Yes.

#28 Posted by squiDc00kiE (350 posts) -

It better be a PS4 announcement. Sony has a recent habit of making announcements at specific events they throw. As far as the quote about waiting for Microsoft, I believe it was more along the lines of "I don't see the point" rather than "we won't" which makes it basically meaningless. If its not the PS4, it's just going to be annoying.

#29 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1026 posts) -

The earlier the better.

#30 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Finally.

#31 Posted by RioStarwind (485 posts) -

If this isn't a PS4/Orbis announcement then they made a serious mistake of using that tagline on top of the PS blog post.

#32 Posted by Lukeweizer (2608 posts) -

PSP VitaGO.

#33 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

The quote was "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?" But as others have pointed out, this makes no sense. The hardware specs have got to be locked in by now for both companies. And notice, this quote doesn't actually say they will let Microsoft go first. This is just Kaz spitballing during an interview, and the Internet ran with it. My opinion is that Sony is definitely announcing some new hardware feb 20.

#34 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -
@Cincaid said:

Playstation Blog just posted this teaser, which reveals the date 20/2. (I just realized you yanks might not understand the date: it's February 20th)

No, none of us Americans have never ever seen the date written with the month second and we were sitting here utterly confused until you enlightened us.
#35 Posted by Solh0und (1756 posts) -

Gaikai announcement? I rather it be that right now.

#36 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (601 posts) -

Imagine if it's just a Vita redesign.

#37 Posted by Sterling (2072 posts) -

Vita Slim!

#38 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -
#39 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@KevinK said:

@Cincaid said:

No, none of us Americans have never ever seen the date written with the month second and we were sitting here utterly confused until you enlightened us.

Haha :D

#40 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

Here we go! Line them up!

#41 Posted by Ryanmgraef (228 posts) -

Vita redesign and made the standard ps4 control device. Packed in with every ps 4 . 400$ bundle.i would buy that Shiite!

#42 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

________X________________________ BOX________________________360

#43 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I would think that Sony would want to get the jump on Microsoft this time around. We talk a lot about system specs when consoles first come out, but they're ultimately moot; software sells systems, not hardware.

Personally, I'm interested to see how they've designed the interface and how they're handling media-center type apps. I use my PS3 for Blu-Rays, Netflix, and Hulu about as much as I play games on it, and I'm not a fan of the interface at all, and I think Netflix looks like crap when I run it through the PS3.

#44 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@killacam said:

Classic Kaz

#45 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I hope that is what is it. Why else would it be? They must know by making a big deal out of this people are going to be expecting orbis. No way they would want to disappoint fans. I'm ready to get hyped for mew systems.

#46 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@killacam said:

Classic Kaz

Sony also knows they can not compete with MS at E3 as far money spending goes. This is a way to get around that.

#47 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

"The console formally known as playstation"

#48 Posted by Rasmoss (433 posts) -

It'll be a release date for The Last Guardian.

#49 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I bet it'll be an announcement that Sony has secured the rights to one week of exclusivity on the first two pieces of DLC for Battlefield 4.

#50 Posted by Max_Cherry (1131 posts) -

They're going to announce Internet Explorer 5.0 for Playstation Plus subscribers, of course!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.