PS4 Box design

• 85 results
#51 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

@redcream said:

This is the Xbox One box design for comparison.

Ugh, not sure I'm a fan of this. Parts of the system are obscured and the layout is confusing. How appropriate.

That said, at least Microsoft's box is interesting. Sony's is a bit boring, really. It fails to show off the system's novel shape and the controller, while I'm sure it's great to use, is a bit ugly face-on like that.

#52 Edited by Mikewarrior (77 posts) -
@djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint?

Here

"A thin strip of PlayStation blue light bisects the surface of PS4 when the system is powered on."

#54 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

@djcmep: I'd love a solid state drive for this with some proper caching for really quick load times.

#55 Posted by Chaser324 (6436 posts) -

Wow...are we really going to war over packaging design too? Is there any aspect of the Xbox One that the internet won't find a reason to complain about or any aspect of the PS4 that the internet won't herald as the second coming?

Moderator Online
#56 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

Wow...are we really going to war over packaging design too? Is there any aspect of the Xbox One that the internet won't find a reason to complain about or any aspect of the PS4 that the internet won't herald as the second coming?

My thoughts going into this. What's wrong with just liking video games, guys and gals?

#57 Edited by SpaceRunaway (861 posts) -

@chaser324: No one in this thread is going to war over anything here. Also this thread is barely about consoles. Perhaps you are projecting a bit.

Edit: Unless that deleted message was spewing some awful nonsense, in which I take that back.

#58 Posted by onimonkii (2435 posts) -
#59 Posted by Cirdain (3078 posts) -

@chaser324: For me personally it's not that. It's the awkwardness of the design. Here let me explain it to you without any internet flamboyancy.

#60 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

I like the PS4 box more than the Xbox One, but who cares how good either cardboard box looks? Either one will get thrown in my closet, never to be seen again, unless I move.

#61 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

@toowalrus: This thread (yeah, it's Neogaf) has some cool mock-ups of different colored PS4 models, and the white does indeed look sexy.

#62 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

i bought a wii u

#63 Posted by DystopiaX (5301 posts) -

@djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint? If it's a LED then it's gonna look really good in a dark room. A silver version of that could be cool.

PS. Is 500GB enough? I know you can change the hard drive but.. Why not go 1TB right away?

Keep costs down. My guess is they're probably already taking a hit on each box sold at $400.

#64 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

What's with Sony and Microsoft both making their controllers look ugly?

#65 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I like the PS4 box.

#66 Posted by geirr (2536 posts) -

pink ps4 or bust

You think that I am joking, but I will fight one of you at random in the street for one.

I will not fight you for one (I'm too scared) but my wife sure will.

#67 Posted by geirr (2536 posts) -

@djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint? If it's a LED then it's gonna look really good in a dark room. A silver version of that could be cool.

PS. Is 500GB enough? I know you can change the hard drive but.. Why not go 1TB right away?

That should be an LED, if I remember the many e3 talks right.

As for the HD, I've no clue why it's not 1TB. They cost like $10 more than 500gb here.

I'm probably putting in an SSD as soon as I get a hold of a PS4 though.

#68 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

I think the XB1 box is really sharp. The composition is striking. Giving over half the box front to the logo floating in black is bold. I like it a lot. Love the controller on the side, too. Great, strong package design.

The PS4 box is nice too, but pedestrian. It is what it is, no more or less.

The important thing is the PS4 box has a PS4 in it, and that thing is gorgeous.

#69 Posted by geirr (2536 posts) -

@redcream said:

This is the Xbox One box design for comparison.

Ugh, not sure I'm a fan of this. Parts of the system are obscured and the layout is confusing. How appropriate.

That said, at least Microsoft's box is interesting. Sony's is a bit boring, really. It fails to show off the system's novel shape and the controller, while I'm sure it's great to use, is a bit ugly face-on like that.

Oh no that's horrible! I've done tons of texture work and when the image just cuts off like that it reminds me of misaligned textures and the seams that follow.

#70 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@djcmep said:

Keep costs down. My guess is they're probably already taking a hit on each box sold at $400.

The majority of consumers won't use 100GB, and for advanced folk putting 1TB in is a half measure. Users that want better storage would likely be unimpressed with the OEM drives regardless of storage. They can buy faster or bigger drives themselves, or try out an SSD if the bus speed is there.

#71 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@artemesia said:

pink ps4 or bust

You think that I am joking, but I will fight one of you at random in the street for one.

WELL YOU BEST BE READY TO THROW DOWN THEN PLAYER.

Unless they've released a Saints Row Purple Edition by then because DAT PURP.

#72 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I think you're all getting a little too excited over this. Console boxes haven't been an artform since the 90s. In fact, the last truly special one was this:

#73 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@djcmep said:

Manufacturing costs.

#74 Edited by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

I think the PS4 box could look more...sleek? Would be nice if it followed the color scheme of the actual console itself.

#75 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -
#76 Edited by Jensonb (1743 posts) -

@evilnights: Are you kidding? Remember the original PS2 box? This thing was iconic:

#77 Posted by VirtuaGrant (52 posts) -
#78 Edited by AndyMP (226 posts) -

The console looks gorgeous. PS4 was already sold on me, well before Xbox did their 180 yesterday.

#79 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -
@jneam said:

@evilnights: Is that seriously the real box?

In Japan apparently (my Dreamcast box is blue). The guy was a higher-up in Sega's marketing division and starred in their adverts, so there is some method to the madness.

@jensonb: You're only saying that because the photo has the horizontal stand in it.

#80 Posted by Jensonb (1743 posts) -

@evilnights: Naw man, I'm serious. The stark simplicity of that blue box lent it a surprising amount of mystique.

#81 Edited by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

@djcmep said:

To keep the cost under the magical 400 I guess. Also that is plenty, it will probably support external hard drives for media and such, so you can install upwards of 10 games in the worst case. Also many people will want to put a SSD in there over the lifecycle of the console (or buy a slim in 5 years or so).

#82 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@jensonb: Ah, I wish I still had my original PS2 box for reference (I think I still have a yellow one for the slim model somewhere). You might be onto something with the notion that the less they show the better it looks though...

Also, not a console, but it was the top result when I searched for "jaguar box":

Awwww...

#83 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

These are the possible but very probable contents of the PS4 Box. Figured I'd put this here instead of making a new thread for it. Even though less people will probably see this.

#84 Posted by Aegon (5545 posts) -

@lord_xp: Yup, all the expected stuff.

#85 Posted by LiquidPrince (15918 posts) -

@chaser324: I have no opinions about the X1 box one way or another. They both look simple and clean, and that is a good thing.

#86 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1422 posts) -

@artemesia said:

pink ps4 or bust

WELL YOU BEST BE READY TO THROW DOWN THEN PLAYER.

Unless they've released a Saints Row Purple Edition by then because DAT PURP.

I want a green one because my favorite color is green. Maybe a dark green instead of a light or regular green. I will not fight you guys for that, I'll just try to murder you all. I WILL KILL YOU UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD!

#87 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

The Xbone box seems too harsh and uninviting, it makes me think of those really pretentious car commercials where cars are just in nondescript white or black spaces with classical musical playing overheard.

The PS4 box looks like something I want to unpack and play with. What can I say, I like colour.

#88 Edited by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -

@jensonb said:

@evilnights: Are you kidding? Remember the original PS2 box? This thing was iconic:

I remember opening that bad boy up on Christmas morning. Life fucking changing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.