Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Box design

• 83 results
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Insectecutor

@redcream said:
    No Caption Provided

This is the Xbox One box design for comparison.

Ugh, not sure I'm a fan of this. Parts of the system are obscured and the layout is confusing. How appropriate.

That said, at least Microsoft's box is interesting. Sony's is a bit boring, really. It fails to show off the system's novel shape and the controller, while I'm sure it's great to use, is a bit ugly face-on like that.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Mikewarrior
    @djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint?

Here

"A thin strip of PlayStation blue light bisects the surface of PS4 when the system is powered on."

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djcmep: I'd love a solid state drive for this with some proper caching for really quick load times.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55 chaser324  Moderator

Wow...are we really going to war over packaging design too? Is there any aspect of the Xbox One that the internet won't find a reason to complain about or any aspect of the PS4 that the internet won't herald as the second coming?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...are we really going to war over packaging design too? Is there any aspect of the Xbox One that the internet won't find a reason to complain about or any aspect of the PS4 that the internet won't herald as the second coming?

My thoughts going into this. What's wrong with just liking video games, guys and gals?

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@chaser324: No one in this thread is going to war over anything here. Also this thread is barely about consoles. Perhaps you are projecting a bit.

Edit: Unless that deleted message was spewing some awful nonsense, in which I take that back.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@chaser324: For me personally it's not that. It's the awkwardness of the design. Here let me explain it to you without any internet flamboyancy.

No Caption Provided

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like the PS4 box more than the Xbox One, but who cares how good either cardboard box looks? Either one will get thrown in my closet, never to be seen again, unless I move.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@toowalrus: This thread (yeah, it's Neogaf) has some cool mock-ups of different colored PS4 models, and the white does indeed look sexy.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i bought a wii u

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint? If it's a LED then it's gonna look really good in a dark room. A silver version of that could be cool.

PS. Is 500GB enough? I know you can change the hard drive but.. Why not go 1TB right away?

Keep costs down. My guess is they're probably already taking a hit on each box sold at $400.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What's with Sony and Microsoft both making their controllers look ugly?

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the PS4 box.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

pink ps4 or bust

You think that I am joking, but I will fight one of you at random in the street for one.

I will not fight you for one (I'm too scared) but my wife sure will.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djcmep said:

Is that a blue led in the middle or is that just paint? If it's a LED then it's gonna look really good in a dark room. A silver version of that could be cool.

PS. Is 500GB enough? I know you can change the hard drive but.. Why not go 1TB right away?

That should be an LED, if I remember the many e3 talks right.

As for the HD, I've no clue why it's not 1TB. They cost like $10 more than 500gb here.

I'm probably putting in an SSD as soon as I get a hold of a PS4 though.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the XB1 box is really sharp. The composition is striking. Giving over half the box front to the logo floating in black is bold. I like it a lot. Love the controller on the side, too. Great, strong package design.

The PS4 box is nice too, but pedestrian. It is what it is, no more or less.

The important thing is the PS4 box has a PS4 in it, and that thing is gorgeous.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redcream said:
    No Caption Provided

This is the Xbox One box design for comparison.

Ugh, not sure I'm a fan of this. Parts of the system are obscured and the layout is confusing. How appropriate.

That said, at least Microsoft's box is interesting. Sony's is a bit boring, really. It fails to show off the system's novel shape and the controller, while I'm sure it's great to use, is a bit ugly face-on like that.

Oh no that's horrible! I've done tons of texture work and when the image just cuts off like that it reminds me of misaligned textures and the seams that follow.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@djcmep said:

Keep costs down. My guess is they're probably already taking a hit on each box sold at $400.

The majority of consumers won't use 100GB, and for advanced folk putting 1TB in is a half measure. Users that want better storage would likely be unimpressed with the OEM drives regardless of storage. They can buy faster or bigger drives themselves, or try out an SSD if the bus speed is there.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia said:

pink ps4 or bust

You think that I am joking, but I will fight one of you at random in the street for one.

WELL YOU BEST BE READY TO THROW DOWN THEN PLAYER.

Unless they've released a Saints Row Purple Edition by then because DAT PURP.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think you're all getting a little too excited over this. Console boxes haven't been an artform since the 90s. In fact, the last truly special one was this:

No Caption Provided

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djcmep said:

Manufacturing costs.

Avatar image for houseofballoons
    HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By HouseOfBalloons

I think the PS4 box could look more...sleek? Would be nice if it followed the color scheme of the actual console itself.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By Jensonb

@evilnights: Are you kidding? Remember the original PS2 box? This thing was iconic:

No Caption Provided

VirtuaGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By andymp

The console looks gorgeous. PS4 was already sold on me, well before Xbox did their 180 yesterday.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By EvilNiGHTS
    @jneam said:

@evilnights: Is that seriously the real box?

In Japan apparently (my Dreamcast box is blue). The guy was a higher-up in Sega's marketing division and starred in their adverts, so there is some method to the madness.

@jensonb: You're only saying that because the photo has the horizontal stand in it.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@evilnights: Naw man, I'm serious. The stark simplicity of that blue box lent it a surprising amount of mystique.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Wuddel

@djcmep said:

To keep the cost under the magical 400 I guess. Also that is plenty, it will probably support external hard drives for media and such, so you can install upwards of 10 games in the worst case. Also many people will want to put a SSD in there over the lifecycle of the console (or buy a slim in 5 years or so).

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jensonb: Ah, I wish I still had my original PS2 box for reference (I think I still have a yellow one for the slim model somewhere). You might be onto something with the notion that the less they show the better it looks though...

No Caption Provided

Also, not a console, but it was the top result when I searched for "jaguar box":

No Caption Provided

Awwww...

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

These are the possible but very probable contents of the PS4 Box. Figured I'd put this here instead of making a new thread for it. Even though less people will probably see this.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I have no opinions about the X1 box one way or another. They both look simple and clean, and that is a good thing.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@artemesia said:

pink ps4 or bust

WELL YOU BEST BE READY TO THROW DOWN THEN PLAYER.

Unless they've released a Saints Row Purple Edition by then because DAT PURP.

I want a green one because my favorite color is green. Maybe a dark green instead of a light or regular green. I will not fight you guys for that, I'll just try to murder you all. I WILL KILL YOU UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD!

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By mrfizzy

@jensonb said:

@evilnights: Are you kidding? Remember the original PS2 box? This thing was iconic:

No Caption Provided

I remember opening that bad boy up on Christmas morning. Life fucking changing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.