Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Crashes when playing Blu-Ray movie

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

My PS4 will crash when trying to play a Blu Ray movie. It plays game disks and all other apps fine so far. When I play a disk, the console freezes, black screen. I have zero control and can't even hit the Home button. The power button won't even react to me. I have to unplug the power. Anyone else hear about this or have a solution?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

This sounds like a dumb question (because it is), but what movie was it?

Also, this seems like a weird issue. Has it happened more than once?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm watching "Crystal Lake Memories" a 7 hour Friday the 13th documentary because I'm a lunatic. I haven't experimented with movies because it always works EVENTUALLY.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Did you download that first patch? I remember hearing that you couldn't play blu rays unless you downloaded that.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you download that first patch? I remember hearing that you couldn't play blu rays unless you downloaded that.

Yes. I HAVE played movies. But randomly it just crashes the system when initially launching it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mooseymcman said:

I'm watching "Crystal Lake Memories" a 7 hour Friday the 13th documentary because I'm a lunatic. I haven't experimented with movies because it always works EVENTUALLY.

I don't know what to say! I haven't tried on mine, but Tokyo Drift seemed to work on Jeff's, so who knows!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spraynardtatum said:

Yes. I HAVE played movies. But randomly it just crashes the system when initially launching it.

Are you sure you have a blu ray disc and not just a sheet of delicious oatmeal raisin cookies straight from the oven? I've made that mistake before and it nearly bricked my console.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Are you sure your PS4 is not feeling blue? HEYYO HIGH FIVE

*cough* Anyways, yeah it sounds like a unique problem for sure. Only thing I could say is call Sony support. Been hearing good things about their customer support.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By rangers517

I've seen a bunch of people having this problem. I think Blu-Ray playback is going to need a patch. Seems like maybe it's just certain Blu-Rays?

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Another silly question but its not a burnt/backup/homemade disc is it?

i know with the Xbone it doesnt play DVD-R BD-R etc

albert1306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By albert1306

Just to help you out. Your not crazy I just found your post after googling the same issue. I put "epic" (new right out of the package - for that guy) in and it started to spin the disk up and had their equivalent of the spinning disk on the screen - for 4 seconds then pitch black ... And had to unplug it. I tried it again and no problem. Mine has also crashed a couple of times on other games .

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kaos_cracker

@epicsteve: You test other blu-ray movies? I know at the beginning of some they have a warning that the blu-ray disk may be newer than your player. It could just need a patch again to stay updated. Or I could be wrong.

StillAThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happened to me, too. I did the old "unplug it then plug it back in" trick, and the blu-ray went fine.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 will crash when trying to play a Blu Ray movie. It plays game disks and all other apps fine so far. When I play a disk, the console freezes, black screen. I have zero control and can't even hit the Home button. The power button won't even react to me. I have to unplug the power. Anyone else hear about this or have a solution?

Will you be watching it in parts at least? And watching the film that coincides with each part?

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if this were a thread on the xbox forum, you would have half these guys and other sony fans telling you that the machine is a piece of shit and how terrible it is in every way and that you're an idiot for buying it.

Try a few different movies and if you run into the problem again, give Sony a call and have them replace it. It's a hassle, but you don't really have a choice if there is something wrong with the machine.

Sveppi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Sveppi

Mine froze a couple of times during playback of The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday. The movie just stops and the console is completely unresponsive as described in the OP. After the second time I just gave up and plugged in my PS3.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't remember what unit I watched a BD on over the weekend! Guess I'll have to watch one later to test. Still, I'd reject a 7 hour film about Friday the 13th so I can see where you PS4 is coming from.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

My PS4 locked up and I had to hard-restart everything in the chain when I tried to watch Johnny Mnemnonic on DVD, but the other DVDs and BRs are fine.

I think PS4s have personalities, and mine has poor taste.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@somejerk said:

My PS4 locked up and I had to hard-restart everything in the chain when I tried to watch Johnny Mnemnonic on DVD, but the other DVDs and BRs are fine.

I think PS4s have personalities, and mine has poor taste.

No sir you have bad taste!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zirilius

Haven't had any blu Ray crashes but I have had mine lock twice while watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I think it hates Walter's wife as much as I do.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another silly question but its not a burnt/backup/homemade disc is it?

i know with the Xbone it doesnt play DVD-R BD-R etc

PS4 plays them. I tried. PS3 also.

Also, my PS4 can't play the rental version of RED 2 on Blu-Ray. The PS3 plays it though. The PS4 makes strange clicking noises when you insert the disc and eventually says unrecognized disc.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

@epicsteve: I don't remember right now where the setting is in the system, but the first time I put in a blu-ray, there was a box asking something like 'do you want to allow the player to go online'. Maybe you hit 'no', and you're getting stuck in a loop where the movie wants to go online for whatever reason, and the system won't let it?

Paris_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Paris_Hughes

#16 Edited by Sveppi (121 posts) - 1 day, 9 hours ago

"Mine froze a couple of times during playback of The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday. The movie just stops and the console is completely unresponsive as described in the OP. After the second time I just gave up and plugged in my PS3."

EXACT SAME MOVIE AND THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD WITH MY CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! :O

Hey guys I'm new here to the site but I found your article while searching to see if anyone had the same problem as I did. Here's a video I had recorded to see if other people were having the same problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMggLiISHkk

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've answered "no" to that question every time (save one) in the entire time I've had a Blu-ray player (PS3 and PS4) and I've never had a Blu-ray that gets hung up because you answered no. In fact, there was one Blu-ray (I think a Pixar one) that was unplayable for a few days when it came out if you answered yes, because the servers the disc would try to contact were messed up/crashed/overloaded.

Anyway, if you answer no to that question, it will ask you again next time you insert a disc. Only once you answer yes will it stop asking you each time. This is true of PS3 and PS4. I've answered no to that box over a hundred times in my life. Stupid Sony.

@epicsteve: I don't remember right now where the setting is in the system, but the first time I put in a blu-ray, there was a box asking something like 'do you want to allow the player to go online'. Maybe you hit 'no', and you're getting stuck in a loop where the movie wants to go online for whatever reason, and the system won't let it?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Good to know; maybe he's running into the inverse problem then? If @epicsteve selected 'Yes', and something between his box and the servers the disc is looking for is broken, maybe that's causing the problem? Do you remember if there's some instruction in the alert that says where you can change the setting?

I've answered "no" to that question every time (save one) in the entire time I've had a Blu-ray player (PS3 and PS4) and I've never had a Blu-ray that gets hung up because you answered no. In fact, there was one Blu-ray (I think a Pixar one) that was unplayable for a few days when it came out if you answered yes, because the servers the disc would try to contact were messed up/crashed/overloaded.

Anyway, if you answer no to that question, it will ask you again next time you insert a disc. Only once you answer yes will it stop asking you each time. This is true of PS3 and PS4. I've answered no to that box over a hundred times in my life. Stupid Sony.

@sarahsdad said:

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

I answered "yes".

Funky_Chucken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having the same problem with every Blu-Ray I own. I then remembered I had a similar issue with my PS3. Try going into your PS4 settings, and then video playback I think, and turn OFF 1080p/24hz... this still gives you a 1080p signal but disables the 24hz (24 framerate) setting. Allot of HD tvs do not support 24hz. I have had zero problems after doing this. I hope it helps.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16 Edited by Sveppi (121 posts) - 1 day, 9 hours ago

"Mine froze a couple of times during playback of The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday. The movie just stops and the console is completely unresponsive as described in the OP. After the second time I just gave up and plugged in my PS3."

EXACT SAME MOVIE AND THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD WITH MY CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! :O

Hey guys I'm new here to the site but I found your article while searching to see if anyone had the same problem as I did. Here's a video I had recorded to see if other people were having the same problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMggLiISHkk

You would think a movie by Sony would work perfectly.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So I went ahead and tested a movie (Halloween 35th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray) because I get worried when I read things like this. It worked fine thankfully , so it's either the disc drive or the disc itself try another movie.

nortonader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this problem especially with RedBox Movies. I found if I hit options and went to Settings all the way to the right. Then I clicked Connect to the Internet, and set it to "Do Not Allow." This actually worked. Try doing this and seeing if this works for you. To get it to reload the disk and unfreeze I clicked on "Blu-Ray Dics Data Management" and it pulled up a new menu. I then clicked the options button and selected delete... Select All and then go to delete. This forced the system to reload the disc and unfreeze. If I had to guess this is a problem with the server (I find it is Universal Studios Movies), but it could be other movies. Happy New Year Everyone, and Good Luck!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been watching quite a few things during the break. Haven't experienced any of this.

vpkb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 won't read "Wrong Turn 5", it keeps locking up after the Twentieth Century intro. The disc is brand new out of the box. It plays in my PS3 just fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.