Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 disc installs - playable after digital purchase?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

A friend of mine brought over his PlayStation 4 copy of Need For Speed: Rivals today and I was really into it. I'm thinking about purchasing the game digitally, but I'm curious - will purchasing the digital version enable me to access the current install, or will I need to download another copy of the game?

Having trouble finding an answer to this elsewhere

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By avenlaya

I bet you do. When you have the disk, you still need the disk to authenticate, which brings up the assumption parts of the game are still on the disk. The digital download will end up installing everything, including the authentication.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My guess would be no. It's probably a slightly different file that needs to confirm a disc is in the system but I would say, since you're going to buy it anyway, or at least thinking about it, just try it out and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you just have to delete the disc install and download the game.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I saw a tweet from a Sony person that I'll never be able to find, but it said people with slow connections could rent a disc to install and it would work with their digital purchase.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

That'd be pretty awesome if you could.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jeff mentioned being unable to do that with Injustice, I'd assume that holds true for the rest of the catalog. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't, since on PS3 even save files were incompatible between versions. I was hoping they'd fix all that stuff, but it sounds like they might not have.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By razkazz

Ah yeah, I must've read that tweet wrong. On this PS Blog FAQ they say you have to delete the disc install and fully download the digital version.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@razkazz said:

Ah yeah, I must've read that tweet wrong. On this PS Blog FAQ they say you have to delete the disc install and fully download the digital version.

I hope they patch this out later. So it's just a small download instead, like on the XboxOne.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.