PS4 does not support five controllers

• 96 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4295 posts) -

Facts.

1. Xbox One supports eight controllers playing together on the same console.
  2. PlayStation 4 is confirmed to support four controllers.
  3. PlayStation 3 supports seven controllers.
  4. Oh, and the Wii U can support four controllers and a GamePad siimutaneously

FIFA, Madden, NHL, and NBA Live. That's all I could think of. Even if you only have four friends and yourself, and want to play like a PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2. Well, you can't do it. When's the last time you and four other friends played together on the same console?

#2 Edited by Aegon (5764 posts) -

Boo-hoo

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3405 posts) -

Yeah I have never used more than 4 controllers on ps3 and that was to play rampart....

#4 Posted by ModernAlkemie (368 posts) -

Eff other people.

This is my video game box. Go get your own if you want to play.

#5 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

If it supports 1 that's good enough for me!

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Its a game changer for AA batteries

#7 Posted by Nightriff (5245 posts) -

The most I use now is 2 and that is even rare. I love a LAN type of setting but it just doesn't exist anymore thus owning more than 2 controllers makes very little sense. I even cancelled my preorder for a second PS4 controller.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The last time me and three friends played on one console was the PS2. This doesn't really matter to me at all. As long as it supports 2, I'm fine.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6634 posts) -

But how will I be able to... err... if I ever need to... and the... what about...

#10 Posted by spraynardtatum (3513 posts) -

Are there any games that support 7 controllers? I bet Lair did because why not.

#11 Edited by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

@shagge: Imagine all those AA Batteries you would need to buy to support 8 X1 Controllers.

#12 Edited by Sterling (2599 posts) -

Oh noes! Worlds are ending. The consequences will never be the same.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6634 posts) -

@shagge: Imagine all those AA Batteries you would need to buy to support 8 X1 Controllers.

Buy ALL the Eneloops!

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3605 posts) -

Even first year of university living in the dorm when everyone played games I can't think of a single time we ever would have played a game with more than 4 people at the same time, the only game I could see sucking with four or less people would be Johann Sebastian Joust.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4921 posts) -

I'm pretty sure if I had 7 people over none of us would be interested in the consoles.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

When the fuck would I have 7-8 people playing on one console with separate controllers? Really?

#17 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

not since WW II has there been such a trav-

ah fuck it i know this is a troll post

#18 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

Possible reason:

The BT spec on the PS3 allowed for 8 devices, but the PS3 was considered one of those devices, so it only supported 7 extra controllers.

It's possible, although unconfirmed, that the touchpad on the DS4 takes up a spot on the BT chain independently of the rest of the controller, which would mean having 4 DS4 controllers in use would mean the PS4 sees 8 devices. The weird part about this would be if the PS4 is no longer considered to be a device on the chain, otherwise only 3 DS4 + touchpads would work simultaneously.

I'm sure the only way we'll know any of this for sure is once the system is in the wild. I've never had more than 2 other people on a PS3 at one time, so this doesn't really affect me, but I do know people who have played Fifa in 5-7 player configurations on the PS3 in their college dorm.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11448 posts) -

How many games are there that support more than four players on PS3? That X-Men arcade game port is the only one I can think of.

I don't think this is an issue. I think Microsoft is crazy for making that a thing on Xbox One. Some poor sap is going to buy seven extra controllers and then never use them all at once. Though, I suppose that would be his fault for being dumb.

#20 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4295 posts) -

A Royal Rumble would be dope on five controllers. I dunno.http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3038777/shawn-micheals-in-2006-royal-rumble-o.gif

#21 Posted by Nonused (221 posts) -

I am an octopus and I support the Xbox One.

#22 Edited by GreggD (4510 posts) -

Johann Sebastian Joust on XB1?

#23 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

@nonused said:

Octodad on PS4 should have 7 player local multiplayer.

#24 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

VR support trumps more than 4 controllers anyway. It is known.

#25 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

The only time I hooked up 6-7 controllers on my PS3 was for Bomberman Ultra a couple times.

#26 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

RIP Sony

#27 Posted by Nonused (221 posts) -

@thephantomnaut: Nice try, but you won't sway my brand loyalty that easily.

#28 Edited by EXTomar (4921 posts) -

I guess the PS4 really is for the rest of us since XBO is only meant for those with large living rooms (with no furniture in the center) for 8 people to gather around a gigantic HDTV.

The PS3 could handle 7 Bluetooth devices but I am pretty sure that PS3 controllers only have 4 LED lights to indicate which controller it is assigned. How did we miss this scandal for so long???

#29 Edited by Corvak (1160 posts) -

I got through the entire PS3 only owning one controller, I think i'll live. For 360, I have three. One wired one on my PC, one permanently plugged in through play and charge because I hate AA batteries. The other sits in a drawer and is never used.

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

@nonused said:

Wait. Dad? What do you mean you're an octopus!?

#31 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

That last time that mattered to me was on the SNES, playing Super Bomberman and Fifa with a SuperTap.

#32 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

People cant take a joke: The thread.

#33 Edited by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

This means you don't need 4 friends anymore.

#34 Posted by Korwin (2983 posts) -

Man, imagine the framerate of a 7/8 player split screen match :P

#35 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

The last time I played with more than 4 people physically in one room on one console was let me think.. NEVER.

#36 Posted by jgf (394 posts) -

I just learned that PS3 supports more than 4 controllers. So nevermind :)

#37 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
#38 Edited by ShaggE (6634 posts) -

People cant take a joke: The thread.

Pretty sure just about everybody is responding with mirth in their hearts.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

When the fuck would I have 7-8 people playing on one console with separate controllers? Really?

What if you want to play four games of Ikaruga at once and happen to be a spider? WHAT THEN!?

#40 Edited by ConfusedOwl (961 posts) -

7 People? hell I barely even play with 2 most of the time. I'm so alone.

#41 Posted by Grilledcheez (3955 posts) -

GENERATION OVER, xbone wins!

#42 Posted by Killroycantkill (1421 posts) -

GG Xbone is teh winnars.

To be more accurate the PS3 supported up to 7 bluetooth devices, it's just 7 of those could be controllers.

#43 Edited by LeYcH (216 posts) -

I don't even have 4 friends never mind 7.
Does not affect me, do not care.

#44 Posted by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

Literally zero times.

#45 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -
#46 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

There goes the teledildonic orgy i had planned with myself.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#48 Posted by Sergio (2193 posts) -

This just means I'm going to need a much bigger TV than my 55" when I eventually get an Xbox One in a year or two so it can handle 8-player split-screen games without making things impossibly small to see.

#49 Posted by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

Oh well, the max I ever use is 2.

#50 Edited by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

So I finally can play 4v4 on one screen? Not since Goldeneye have I been this delighted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.