Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 getting reports of faulty HDMI jacks

• 78 results
    Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Krullban

I don't understand why the other topic was locked? Seems like a legit issue that is happening?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Anyway, people are reporting that the HDMI jack wont output a signal. IGN and Kotaku both had systems break. It's not really "system wars" to point out something that is actually happening and being reported by gaming websites.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Krullban

From Kotaku.

" A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into. It couldn't make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn't transmit a stable signal to our TV."

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JayEH

I started the original post, apparently I was igniting a console war somehow. Anyway thanks for bringing this topic up for discussion again, people should know there could be problems.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks like a GPU error has been showing up too. Just saw a YouTube video of a guy who's brand new PS4 had GPU problems after one hour of use

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flindip

Not all that shocking. This comes with the territory with early adopters. We all knew this stuff would happen going in. Lets just hope the things don't explode...

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update from IGN.

"IGN has received a detailed account of one PS4 “Play the Future First” winner’s broken console experience so far. As of time of publishing this, Arogon (Reddit username), a 23-year old man in Maryland, will not be receiving a working PlayStation 4 before launch. That was to be his special prize…until the console showed up dead on arrival at 11AM ET. The console would turn on, accompanied by a pulsing blue light (it should glow white) – but it would not output a signal to the television."

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shinjin977

Not really console war stuff, more like par for the course for early adopters. Wish all you early adopters the best, have fun with resogun/DR3 (I am super jealous). I will join you guys next year.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: Or giving it CPR? Did he try a defibrillator?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to buy one. And now I think I'll hold out a bit longer, I got a faulty Wii when I bought it day 1, a Wii for Christs sake.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: Well, your warranty covers for a year. So, what the heck; what else you going to do? May as well join in the madness...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can I just take a moment to say LOOK AT THE COMMENTS IN THAT LINK HOLY SHIT. Sometimes I forget how much better the GB community typically is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flindip: Oh man, don't tempt me, I'm on a really thin edge about this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of a dumb article. Type in the name of any electronic device and "faulty" on google and you'll get a ton of results. There will always be some that fail. There's absolutely no evidence that this is anything to be worried about. It's been like 6 or 7 reports of issues out of 4,000+ consoles out in the wild.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#17 jeanluc  Staff

Ouch. The risk you take buying new hardware at launch. Hope mine doesn't have any problems.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Krullban
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigjeffrey

Damn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: Curse you for making me go there and look, it's super upsetting to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why everyone's been saying to wait these things out. We'll see how widespread the problem is this weekend. I went from excited about my preorder to anxious. I knew the risk when buying a launch console. That being said, I only give brands one chance. If mine is defective, it's getting returned rather than replaced. I don't want to add Sony to my list of unreliable manufacturers. I hope that this doesn't end up being a big thing. That would be bad for everyone, no matter their platform preference.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flindip

@flindip: Oh man, don't tempt me, I'm on a really thin edge about this.

Pfft, do it you know you want to. If your on thin ice already, you may as well jump. You only live once.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jsnyder82

Ya know what? I could definitely use this PS4 money to upgrade to a GTX 780 during Black Friday. I think I might do that, and wait until after the new year for the PS4.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not related but Crashing from Jeff.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

That's a huge bummer if it turns out to be widespread. I wonder if they pulled all the early consoles from the same manufacturing pool or not. Hopefully it won't effect me.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's why you never buy consoles at launch. At least not post 5th Gen.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The other one was locked because the poster said the PS4 launch was mirroring the 360 one (or worse) already.

There a guy with a confirmed HDMI port problem. The other problem the guy has is something else. Maybe he got screwed with a botched firmware update or maybe another hardware problem.

I just want to mention, 1080p/60 video over HDMI isn't quite idiot proof. You can have bad cables, bad connectors (not just on the PS4, but the TV) and just plain bad TVs. My TV required a motherboard replacement because it would space out on 1080p/60 content every 3 minutes or so. On 1080p/60i or 720p/60 it was fine. The reason is because the amount of data is highest on 1080p/60 and the connection was just borderline (bad line termination, if you must know) and only showed at the highest data rates where the error margins are lowest. Last gen it was really common to discover your system had a problem with 1080p/60 when you attached a console, they being one one of the first sources of 1080p/60 content. But I would think that would be less common now given how many other 1080p/60 sources there are today.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

"This is why you never buy consoles at launch..."

Why? The HDMI thing will obviously fall under the warranty and be replaced by Sony. Yes, you have to wait for a replacement, but otherwise you'd obviously be waiting anyway by not buying the console. The only times I've been bitten by faulty hardware design was when the issues presented themselves after the warranty expired, but with the issue being so widespread, the related companies were sort of forced to fix the problem for free anyway.

The software-side issue of Killzone crashing is more of a nuisance, because unless you chalk it up to the rushed nature of both console launches, it might be indicative of the consoles moving more towards becoming PCs - including the negatives that people who buy consoles are trying to avoid. Surely it will be patched, but it shouldn't have to be. --- unless this is all hardware-related as well, but that remains to be seen until more consoles get into the hands of more people.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Residentrevil2

I can't believe... I refuse. NOOOO! Ah, forget it. It's real right? Someone hold me...

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Sergio

Seems like a few cases that may be overblown, which may be perceived as inciting a console war on the forums. There's an acceptable electronics failure rate, and we don't know if this has exceeded it, but it most likely hasn't. I never experienced an RROD on the 360, but reports about it were widespread enough to make it seem as if it went beyond the acceptable failure rate. I've yet to see anything like that for the PS4.

The issue doesn't necessarily lie with the PS4 either. I know my TV is faulty and doesn't detect my PS3 signal if I turn off the TV while the PS3 is on, then turn it back on. I don't have that problem with any other device connected to the TV. I've tried using a different HDMI port and different cable, but the problem only occurs with this specific TV.

My Gamecube had issues playing Rogue Squadron, but the disc work in my friend's Gamecube. I didn't see anybody else with that problem, so my machine fell into the acceptable electronics failure rate. No need to send an anecdote to a web site.

I can pretty much guarantee that there will be issues with a few Xbox Ones out there also.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Well that sucks, but that is the kind of rare issues you can expect at launch. Hopefully it will have been dealt with in 6 months, or a year, where I might buy a PS4.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The HDMI port in my PS3 Slim was pretty weaksauce, I need to work it quite a while to get a non-greensplattered 1080p signal if at all. You want to let that heavy HDMI cable be it in a PS3 or PS4 NOT sit stressed and pulled so that the HDMI cable itself grows a natural twist to it :/

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are not really worry some from like ten thousands of PS4 already in the wild we have like 5 reports.... And the twitch guy is just not smart enough to make it work. The ones at Kotaku were faulty at the beginning so yeah of course it happens with like 3-5% of these consoles^^

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The bottom line is that hardware yields are never going to be 100%, and that's even more true on new hardware. It sucks, but some people over the next few weeks are going to be getting busted PS4 and Xbox One units straight out of the box. Nothing can be done about it.

Hell, even if they were all coming off of the production line in working order, there would still be quite a few damaged during shipping.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

We should get on the ground floor of this issue and start coming up with a really clever name for it: blue light of death? HDMI-gate?

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is unfortunate for gamers.

Is it for sure the HDMI or could it be a problem with the 1.5 patch?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

The guys with HDMI problems like Kotaku could not even start the PS4 once so yes it is te HDMI stuff.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@l4wd0g said:

The guys with HDMI problems like Kotaku could not even start the PS4 once so yes it is te HDMI stuff.

IGN mentioned it wasn't until they installed/were installing the 1.5 patch. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. Like when they bricked all the PS3 with the 4.45 patch.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JesusHammer

@andrewb: Well there's a ton of reasons not to buy consoles at launch. Not that many games and what games there are usually aren't of the best quality, hardware issues like this, newer/nicer versions of the console come out, the price at launch and no sales on them really until the next year. I have never seen a reason to get a console at launch except that it's nice to have brand new things. I waited a little over a year for a 3DS and I felt like it was the best purchase I made all year seeing as how 2 or more of my top 10 games of this year are on it. I bet if I bought one at launch I would've just hated it for months and months until Kid Icarus came out and I would've ended up buying an XL even if I had a regular 3DS. Really what reasons are there to buy a new console at launch except to be in on the new thing? I mean it's not like Sony is cutting off PS3 support.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I live in Europe and got both consoles pre ordered. So I'll just sit and wait what happens during the PS4 launch in the US :D.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is wide spread, I wonder if Sony can afford the $1,000,000,000 it cost Microsoft with the RRoD.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AndrewB

@jesushammer: But I wasn't speaking to anything but the threat of hardware issues as a reason for not buying. In fact, I was going to go back and edit my post to mention the lack of actual games to play as a much better reason.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

@l4wd0g said:

If this is wide spread, I wonder if Sony can afford the $1,000,000,000 it cost Microsoft with the RRoD.

Difference is that Sony is clearly not ignoring the issue since all reports have had their consoles replaced. This is probably just a manufacturing glitch, this happens with ALL electronics since its more to do with mass production than a hardware design failure like what caused the RROD.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

This happened with the PS3 Slim also, I picked one up and spent all day installing games and downloading updates: came back the next day and now no signal but the composite still worked (which of course is not possible on PS4) When I brought it back to the store the next day. I ended up just getting a full refund.

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This really does suck but it's par for the course with launch consoles. Everyone game system I have owned "since PSone" has had problems. I do hope that specifically mine works day one but I guess we will see. Risk, reward being an early adopter.

DaBazz72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

Difference is that Sony is clearly not ignoring the issue since all reports have had their consoles replaced. This is probably just a manufacturing glitch, this happens with ALL electronics since its more to do with mass production than a hardware design failure like what caused the RROD.

? Microsoft didn't ignore anything. They fixed everybody's RRoD free of charge for up to 3 years after you purchased the console.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

We should get on the ground floor of this issue and start coming up with a really clever name for it: blue light of death? HDMI-gate?

HDMSigh?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.