Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Has Important Day One Firmware Update

• 162 results
    courage_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It will be like Gran Turismo HD all over again, the day everyone was downloading the same thing all at once. This will be a good test of whether Sony's "We are fixing PSN" talk has truth to it. I have no doubt that Xbox Live will be up and running when the Xbox One launches, but I give PSN a 50/50 chance of being on fire come November 15.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By chilipeppersman
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh by the looks of it HDCP will be removed in a firmware patch after this. Early 2014?

So high five to the bombers who have HDCP scrubbing equipment at the ready, let's have fun together..

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But who wouldn’t be connected to the Internet

More than enough people to be more than a little incensed about DVD/Blu-ray playback being a part of that patch.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@cikame said:

So if you don't have the internet you can't use it to watch movies?

I don't know why they had to restrict that.

I can't imagine someone who is paying 400 bucks on launch day, doesn't have internet or another device that plays bluray and dvds.

I was originally thinking what @cikame said, but you bring up an excellent point. (comment section of something on the interwebs being constructive, another reason I love Giant Bomb)

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

most of those features were probably done in time to be shipped with the machine, in fact they may actually hvae been. requiring the day 1 patch to unlock em is just a clever way of making sure everybody will grab that day 1 update.

dekinblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steelerzfan101 said:

Umm...some of that stuff seems like it should have been in the original firmware...but what do I know.

They made the 1.0 FW very basic. Same as the PC's safe-mode, to allow easy access for developers who got the ps4 early. Also it allow them to get it stable enough to start manufacturing very early. Basically, they got it running on safe-mode with very basic UI and just start making it.

@syed117 same answer as above as to why people are not angry

@professoress the X1 can not play games without the day1 update, ps4 can (this patch is only for the social, internet, music, etc features) that was why people was piss. Both need update but at least with this one if I wanted to start playing knack right away I can and update later.

What about the PS Camera? it's not on the list, and it's gotta work from day one because Playroom is on every PS4 day one. If things like the BD player don't work, why would the camera?

I think they're withholding these features. Possibly they want a ping from everyone day one. Maybe they wanna see how people connect with it. I'm sure they'll allow you to patch from anything else that has access to the internet, including your phone.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By HellknightLeon

This thing better not be like Dota... that game patches every freaking day it seems... sometime twice a day... guh...

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense, they had to start production of the units before any of this stuff was finalised i guess.

FreedomTown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By FreedomTown

Surprise Surprise. Gaming media sites aren't demonizing the PS4 for something so preposterous and atrocious! as a day one patch to get , of all things, online multi-player to work.

Microsoft supporters, go stand over there so we can discredit you at every turn. Sony, come over here and get your free pass. Gotta love media outlets! Sony is too "cool and hip" to discredit, the kids love the ps4!

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But who wouldn’t be connected to the Internet

More than enough people to be more than a little incensed about DVD/Blu-ray playback being a part of that patch.

They will probably put the update in some games, like Microsoft did when they changed the dashboard.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SARRISS

Coming in hot indeed

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By shishkebab09

All this means is they've been manufacturing this system since before they had all these features completed in the OS, which means there will be a LOT of systems at launch. This is good news.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#114  Edited By sammo21

Guess what, the day I bought my video card it had a patch. HOLY SHIT!

People are so freaking hyperbolic about this stuff.

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedomtown: Are you kidding? When has anyone EVER been able to play online without the latest firmware? If you're concerned about playing online, then you have internet and you'll get the patch!

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977 said:

@steelerzfan101 said:

Umm...some of that stuff seems like it should have been in the original firmware...but what do I know.

They made the 1.0 FW very basic. Same as the PC's safe-mode, to allow easy access for developers who got the ps4 early. Also it allow them to get it stable enough to start manufacturing very early. Basically, they got it running on safe-mode with very basic UI and just start making it.

@syed117 same answer as above as to why people are not angry

@professoress the X1 can not play games without the day1 update, ps4 can (this patch is only for the social, internet, music, etc features) that was why people was piss. Both need update but at least with this one if I wanted to start playing knack right away I can and update later.

What about the PS Camera? it's not on the list, and it's gotta work from day one because Playroom is on every PS4 day one. If things like the BD player don't work, why would the camera?

I think they're withholding these features. Possibly they want a ping from everyone day one. Maybe they wanna see how people connect with it. I'm sure they'll allow you to patch from anything else that has access to the internet, including your phone.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I completely expected a day one patch.

I'd bet the Xbox One has one as well.

The Xbox One Day One patch must be downloaded in order to play offline. Seriously.

Petruccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Maybe some games will carry this update on the disc as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PS3 also had firmware update at launch.

SONY and MS also wants to know how many consoles were sold and connected to boast numbers.

This was an expected thing? I believe there will be many upgrades in the first year

grimmie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

time to grab a hot cup O coffee and read all the coments saying how it is acceptable for Sony to this but not for Microsoft

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By zels

@budwyzer said:

@professoress said:

"But who wouldn’t be connected to the Internet, anyway?"

If this was XBox One related I can't help but feel like I'd be reading a long list of comments grumbling about how we shouldn't have to have an internet connection for this sort of stuff.

Internet shouldn't be required, and neither should power!

The XBONE needs to have a battery powered Cellular chip built-in so that it can receive OTA updates 24/7. Even while sitting in a train car and being hauled across the country! Also, even while it's unplugged and sitting in a closet. Or off and the power goes out!

ANyway, I have shit internet. I live in the country and am on a WISP. I download things I need by using Free Download Manager, because it will keep retrying after the wind blows and knocks my antenna around and my internet breaks. It also breaks apart the file into sections and downloads 10 sections at a time instead of just trying for one at at time. Can PSN do this? Or will it just restart when my connection dies at 50MB?

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item650388/Update-features-%28ver-4-50%29/

Hagane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Hagane

Do we know if the games take up all of the Blu-ray's storage? If not they could include this firmware with every physical game like they did with UMDs.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

Wouldn't Sony allow you to download the patch on a computer and install it on the PS4 from a USB stick or something, if you truly do not have Internet access on your PS4? That was possible with the PS3 at least.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

What gets me is the version number; HOW CAN A NEW SYSTEM ALREADY BE AT VERSION 1.50? I also don't care if there's a day one patch, mainly because it's 2013 and I'm connecting to the internet anyway so what do I care?

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Nice $ony, not everyone is a billionaire that can afford internet!

I really hope that "$ony" becomes the new "Micro$oft". I really do.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By grilledcheez

WELL, hope their servers aren't shitting the bed day one so I can make use of the features that actually make it a PS4

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about the troops?

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Scarabus

So they're putting in all the functionality they didn't need in the dev kits.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrjorowe said:

What about the troops?

Won't someone, ANYONE, think of the children!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#129  Edited By tourgen

that's a real bummer. I know most people won't care but it will affect some people. As long as it plays my game out of the box I won't really care. If I have to USB a firmware update to play day 1 I'm going to be pissed, box it up, and return it as defective.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We live in a weird time. Consoles comin' in hot, guys!

kirathian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Wouldn't Sony allow you to download the patch on a computer and install it on the PS4 from a USB stick or something, if you truly do not have Internet access on your PS4? That was possible with the PS3 at least.

This. If the PS4 does this it would be nice to have the patch out a few days before launch so us crazy people have it downloaded and ready. Hell if PSN does get completely destroyed, I could see the Giantbomb / Gamespot offices sharing a USB stick to update all of their PS4's. As annoying as it is, the USB thing could be a decent backup plan for launch woes. (Watch it not be supported lol)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Look at you nerdy PC virgins with your constant patches and stuff, I just put a disc in and fucking PLAY THAT SHIT!"

I miss those days. Now we are all equally fucked.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, standby suspend resume, where did you go?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Well, you can still play the games just fine, right? Both single player and local multi. And you only have to patch (this patch) once.

So that's still a million times better than "always online".

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes, day-one patch to watch Blu-ray/DVD's? Shouldn't that be part of the system's firmware core? What next, day-one patch to use the controllers? I'm not surprised at a day-one patch, but I am surprised at a couple of features requiring it. Hopefully, by the time I pick one up next year, these stumbling blocks will have been fixed (and a whole new set will be in play).

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony has day one patch, everyone be like "Well who isn't online anyway?"

Microsoft has day one patch, everyone be like "Fucking fail console, M$ suck! Releasing half a console BWUAAAAAAAA!"

Hey, I'm just sayin'.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Well I hope that they could at least put this on the box for those who might not have internet. And later make it standard it upgraded firmware as fast as possible. At least for remote play, music and blu-rays.

jacksonroye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By jacksonroye

You know, I never agreed with the complaints on the PSN's speed. Where I live (in the deep south) it's always been pretty fast. I currently have 50 mb broadband from Comcast, but even 5 years ago when I had an 8 mb connection it was always fine. Wonder what the deal is with the Bay area?

Edit: inb4, I know my speed isn't the only factor, just throwing that out there. I know Arthur Gies from RebelFM/Polygon has complained about the PSN's slow speeds despite having something ridiculous like a 150 mb service at home.

ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME
    _iSoar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayjonesjunior:

That was the logic in general when it came to Xbox One, but, apparently, since it's Sony doing it now it's a really good thing. I guess no one has to mention the military personnel or people who can't afford internet connections when Sony requires the internet to use their system. They are very similar systems, both will push digital downloads as they should and that digital content will have DRM on both systems as they do now. But we had to have a holy war when the evil MS did it, but everybody trusts and loves Sony, so when they do it, it's a great and welcome feature. I am buying both systems and I want digital.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All that for a small firmware patch? WTF is wrong with you Killzone Mercenaries...

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Look at you nerdy PC virgins with your constant patches and stuff, I just put a disc in and fucking PLAY THAT SHIT!"

I miss those days. Now we are all equally fucked.

Yes, things were so much better when broken things stayed broken forever.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

It sounds weird, but makes too much sense. Prepare the basics to get a stable default firmware to build the machines with, and then work on the first "live" version with all the bells and whistles.

A downloadable version that can let us patch machines via USB should be a thing.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

last year there was a solid month of bitching about Nintendo's day 1 Wii U patch. Not like so much bitching it was the biggest deal, but every chance anyone had, they brought it up, and it was annoying. Lets not be retards again.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Corvak

Xbox One has a day 1 - it changes the original firmware to suit the changes MS has made since the original annoncement of the system. (the cloud, used games, etc.) Xbox One also has a mandatory online activation.

But this is perfectly normal, given the reality of manufacturing and distribution. Having a day one patch means that the firmware teams for both systems had additional months to work on the software end.

Also, I wonder if PS4 discs will have recent firmware on them. This patch is a special case, since all the games will be printed before its release - but often a game will have the current firmware on its disc.

Though as far as PSN speeds go, I don't have crazy fast internet (just the basic 20mb down from my ISP), but once I switched my PS3 to a wired connection, my download speed became comparable to that of my desktop PC downloading from Steam. I get the feeling a lot of the speed issues people have may be attributed to the PS3's wireless hardware, or possibly some spotty connections between PSN and certain ISPs.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id bet the ability to play movies is already there they are just blocking it so that they are sure everyone has to get the patch to do anything

Cadallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL@ the butthurt microsoft fanboys trying to say we should be angry about this.

An OS update? Over the internet? Sure guys, totally shocking.

Also TOTALLY the same as Microsoft trying to dictate that they should have a live, always on internet connected webcam feed in your living room.

Try harder, you're not going to get very far by claiming we should be upset for Sony giving us product support.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Day one patches for consoles are a thing now. Let's all un-celebrate!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.