Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Killing it. 18.5M Consoles Sold & 10.9M PS+ Subs.

• 65 results
    Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

In a Japanese press release that Sony put out today, or tomorrow, as Japan is in the future, it was revealed that the PS4 is selling well. Really well. Read this super awesome Google translated news.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) to sell "PlayStation 4" (PS4 ™), the New Year's holiday shopping season of 2014 ※ 1 in 410 million units ※ 2 to achieve a more real sales, 2015 1 worldwide total actual sales volume is 18.5 million units in the month the 4th time ※ 3 was exceeded. Continue, has continued to spread expansion in history "PlayStation" hardware fastest ever.

The term "Actual Sales Volume" could suggest that is sell-through, and not just shipment to retailers, which is impressive if that's the case. On track to hit 20 Million by March, in my opinion.

In addition, masterpiece game on PSN℠ that can be enjoyed on the number and time of without limitation free or "free play", that can be network play and cooperation play in other players and PS4 ™ "online multiplayer", etc., subscriber only features the number of subscribers and benefits membership services "PlayStation Plus" available (PS Plus) has exceeded the total 10.9 million at January 2, 2015.

Lots of PS+ members.

Also Persona 5 is mentioned as a game coming out this year, which isn't actually concrete, but I'm starting to think it won't be pushed into 2016.

March Update! I don't want to say I called it, but I super called it. 20.2 million in March.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If only it had some exclusives to play.

I haven't turned mine on for more than Madden in weeks.

...sob

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cool. I really like my PS4.

But this holiday was the first time I thought they weren't too deserving after dropping the ball on first-party stuff. Ah well, I know it's coming. Eventually.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Good on them. They bet on gamers and are being rewarded for that.

Love my PS4. The games will come.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. Really love my PS4 and wish them the best. Looking forward to some of the stuff coming out this year, like The Order.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Cool. I really like my PS4.

But this holiday was the first time I thought they weren't too deserving after dropping the ball on first-party stuff. Ah well, I know it's coming. Eventually.

Yeah, the games weren't really there at all.

2015 is actually looking really hot though. Bloodborne is close, so I can kind of forgive this holiday...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's good to hear, a healthy market is good for all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking shit that's a lot. Damn.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@viciousbearmauling: After a year of broken games, I'm more than fine with waiting for some of these to come out right. Sony has some damn good teams.

But man, I keep forgetting how close Bloodborne is.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All those subscriptions sadden me.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be playing all of these on my PS4 - Bloodborne, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and Metal Gear Solid V...... I'm beyond stoked for this amazing year.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Good for Sony. Hopefully we'll see them step their game up when it comes to first party offerings.

Definitely gonna try to get one for myself by or around Summer time this year.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The 8-4 podcast has been beating the drum that PS4, and home consoles in general, just aren't selling in Japan. So I'd love to see these numbers broken down by region. In a way, it's even more impressive if all these sales are coming from Europe and North America.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nice to hear they're making a lot of money with sales & PS Plus subs, someone within Sony has too.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I still don't know why people are saying PS4 doesn't have games to play. That's just silly.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully all those sales make them work extra hard on getting suspend and the network infrastructure up to speed. Not good enough yet.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

What's the XBONE at by comparison?

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@demoskinos said:

I still don't know why people are saying PS4 doesn't have games to play. That's just silly.

I have a PC, outside of Infamous (which I thought was lifeless) I'm hard pressed to think of any games that have came out for the system, unless Knack, Killzone and Last of Us count.

If you only have a PS4, sure there's some reasons to turn the thing on - assuming you are interested in all the non-exclusive games.

For me all the multiplatform games end up better on PC and all the indie/PSN games are usually there too. So, my PS4 doesn't see too much use as I'm waiting for something I can't get anywhere else.

It's annoying because I like the system but it's suffering from Xbox 360 syndrome where almost everything is also out on PC.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I still don't desperately want one, and no exclusive title in the horizon seems to suggest that that will change anytime soon - but good for Sony, and the industry, that there is this much demand for next-gen content.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allprox said:

What's the XBONE at by comparison?

It was last reported at 10 million, though that was around when the price drop started so it's probably slightly higher by now. (Definitely not 18.5 million high, though.)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Seriously though need more games, could give two shits if it's exclusive or not. This generation needs more big budget new IP. So many remakes and indie game but I want something to show the power of these systems, damn it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@turtlebird95: It was 10 million sell in right?

The report was through retailers, which is obviously less impressive than sold through consumers, but hey. 10 Million sold to retailers is still 10 million sold for MS. Pretty healthy numbers considering it hadn't even been out a year yet.

There's a few sites posting articles about how it sold 10 million through consumers a few days ago, though they're taking data from VGChartz so take that with a grain of salt.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Good on them. They bet on gamers and are being rewarded for that.

Love my PS4. The games will come.

Pretty much. It's not that Sony wouldn't like the mythical "broader market" dollars, but they understand that you need to start at the core and work your way outward. MS wanted to start at the outside from the off, didn't really understand what people buy these boxes, as opposed to cheaper stream boxse like Roku and Chromecast, for. And like many pundits, they bought into the idea that the consumer doesn't want ownership anymore.

Then there's that 3rd console slump being a factor. The Nintendo and Sony had their falls from grace with the N64 and PS3 respectively (though Sony managed to eventually turn the ship around). It seems almost inevitable in this industry that console makers that enjoy huge amounts of success tend to get fat and happy... Though MS is odd in that only one of its previous two consoles was successful, compared with two for Nintendo and Sony. That's a much quicker zero-to-complacent time than I imagine we'll see again soon.

Overall, this IS a victory for Sony, but moreover, it's a victory for competition. Without multiple console makers pushing against one another, consumer options are greatly reduced, and companies are able to more easily screw them over. Makes me wonder how awesome things would be if Nintendo were actually competitive, or Sega hadn't drilled themselves into the ground...

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@yukoasho said:

Overall, this IS a victory for Sony, but moreover, it's a victory for competition. Without multiple console makers pushing against one another, consumer options are greatly reduced, and companies are able to more easily screw them over. Makes me wonder how awesome things would be if Nintendo were actually competitive, or Sega hadn't drilled themselves into the ground...

Its a victory for "dedicated gaming", or however you want to call the group that is willing to buy hardware for games alone. Everyone seemed to think that phones were going to kill consoles and all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are fantastic numbers, though I'm still baffled as to why it's so high.

I bought a PS4 back in April and I feel severely let down by the games library. I feel like Sony became far too complacent post launch, and I've been craving for more titles. It doesn't help Sony that a lot of third party games got delayed to 2015 as well. In 2014, I played the Wii U far more than I did the PS4. I'm hoping this year it'll be a little bit more even.

It's hard to recommend a PS4 to my friends who aren't avid gamers, because the content simply isn't there. It'll be much easier to recommend to people by summer 2015/fall 2015.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

I bought a PS4 back in April and I feel severely let down by the games library. I feel like Sony became far too complacent post launch, and I've been craving for more titles. It doesn't help Sony that a lot of third party games got delayed to 2015 as well. In 2014, I played the Wii U far more than I did the PS4. I'm hoping this year it'll be a little bit more even.

It's hard to recommend a PS4 to my friends who aren't avid gamers, because the content simply isn't there. It'll be much easier to recommend to people by summer 2015/fall 2015.

i would argue the indie/smaller downloadable titles for the system have been pretty damn sweet, as well as the PS+ free game options. they have "exclusives," just not of the massive AAA sort.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@mosdl said:

@yukoasho said:

Its a victory for "dedicated gaming", or however you want to call the group that is willing to buy hardware for games alone. Everyone seemed to think that phones were going to kill consoles and all.

This is true. People have said "x" is going to kill console gaming for ages. When you get old enough, you hear it all, really. I remember how the Wii's casual audience was going to render hardcore gaming obsolete, I've heard how mobile is going to kill off dedicated handhelds, how PC's dying, then how PC's going to render consoles obsolete, how digital will completely replace physical distribution... In the end, it's just the short-sighted ramblings of people who can only see things in binary - that one can only exist at the cost of others. The continued success of games consoles - ACTUAL games consoles - defies the pundits, and makes me smile from ear to ear.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for Sony. As someone who played way too much PS4 last year I can say I was quite satisfied with the lineup of games. Big exclusives were few and far between but seeing as I don't have a good enough PC, the third party games made up for it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you buy it, the games will come!

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Nilazz
    No Caption Provided

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I like my PS4 . . . for playing Blurays and watching Netflix ;)

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 is kind of the Netflix player lately. But I watch Netflix a lot. If FF14: ARR were cheaper on the monthly I might have stuck with it but (thankfully for my spare time) its just out of my comfort zone on monthly payment. As much as I liked Last of US HD I hope this isnt the year where I'm expected to just play a bunch of "remastered trilogies". Just waiting for Persona 5 I suppose.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeJerk

We're even getting a proper turn-based combat JRPG this year, localized, for PS4! Or at least one because you never know

(PS: The XboxOne only sells in the US and the UK, and that's "only sells", not "only sells well". Competition compared to last generation? We'll see.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

We're even getting a proper turn-based combat JRPG this year, localized, for PS4!

What's this?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@somejerk said:

We're even getting a proper turn-based combat JRPG this year, localized, for PS4!

What's this?

Probably means Persona 5.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great and all, but I really hope Microsoft/Sony do something more creative next year. The only thing I turn my PS4 on for anymore is to play some Blacklight: Retribution here and there. The Xbox One is primarily for Terraria & Destiny. I don't want to sound spoiled, but the selection has been paltry so far.

That said, though, I am a very picky gamer. It's also possible that my tastes in gaming have changed so much that the consoles will only offer me one or two "smash hits" per year, which, with retrospect, might not be such a bad as it sounds.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: I have no idea. I do know that the game has been rumoured for release in 2015 for awhile now, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 box is seeing more use as a Netflix/Youtube/Now.TV and soon WWE Network player as opposed to an actual game machine. But it's still a nice system, but it needs games!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them. In terms of first party games, PS4 has the title right now. The only Xbox 1 title I'm anticipating is the Remedy game.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

18 Million squeaky triggers.

Loving my PS4 so far. Incredibly hyped for Bloodborne, Persona 5, and MGS5.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

that ps+ attach rate is mental!

I guess that's what happens when you launch a subscription service with real value.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think I'm more surprised by the ratio of consoles to PS+ subs. Nearly 60% is kind of crazy.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@haz said:

To be honest both of the consoles are hardly worth buying if you already have a good enough PC. There's a lot of great games to play on both but exclusives make up an embarrassingly small amount of them.

That's the reason I am disappointed with my PS4.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I'm happy with my PS4. I get more use out of my PC sure, but I like the exclusives I've had on PS4 and some of the indie games I've gotten through PS+ that I never got around to getting on PC like Don't Starve. Plus it lets me and my girlfriend play Minecraft on the same screen together which has been great fun. My PC is starting to chug though with games, DAI is pushing its limits with everything set to medium and I don't feel like dropping cash right now for an upgrade to it until Witcher 3 comes out and sets the bar for what card sets the new standard that I'm happy with.

It's the first year, growing pains and all. Most consoles never have an excellent first year with exclusives and I knew that going in buying it day one. This year looks set to be a good year though. I like the look of The Order, Bloodborne and Persona 5 went from being off my radar to being number one on it after playing P4G.

I can easily see Bloodborne (provided it's not a trainwreck) helping to push them over the 20 million units milestone.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only just got a PS4 and so far am super impressed by it. Controller's a massive step up from the Dual Shock 3 and I really like the UI and as a late-comer to this new generation, I also have a nice little stack of games for me to play before Bloodborne comes out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Good for them but I echo the sentiment of others that there simply aren't that many good games out for it right now. I literally own two games for my PS4 and don't really know what to buy until like.. March? I don't even know when new games are coming out because of all the delays. Also for that many sales the PSN still isn't very good and the controller has a terrible battery lifespan. So you take the good with the bad I guess, the good being that it runs games fractionally better than the competition and thats about it.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By johnnymcginley

In my opinion the games library was fine for a first year of release.

It'll only improve so those 18m people have a lot to look forward to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.