PS4 Launch Event Discussion

• 68 results
#1 Edited by MB (12718 posts) -
banner courtesy of face15

Welcome to the official PS4 Midnight Launch Event topic!

Hello Giant Bomb community! The PlayStation 4 launch looms near, only 24 hours away at this point. Many of you will be attending midnight release events in your hometowns, or even traveling to special events, either to get your long-ago preordered consoles or standing in line all night hoping to get lucky! As you know, this will mean a flurry of activity all over the internet and on Giant Bomb. To help manage things on the forums, this topic is intended as a catch-all for all discussion about various midnight release events.

Please keep this on topic as much as possible! This thread is only for discussion of PS4 launch events (both televised and events you are attending to buy PS4's) No off-topic discussion at any time, or tangents about specific games or other consoles. Any off topic posts may be removed.

Share your plans with the rest of us!

• Are you going to a midnight release?
  • Going alone or with friends?
  • Bringing stuff to do? Handhelds? Board games? Liquor? All of the above?
  • Preordered your console online? Did it ship yet? Already receive it like some lucky people?

Hope everyone has fun with the launch this weekend! Personally, I canceled both of my PS4 and Xbone preorders a month ago and am going to wait this one out until there are some more games I'm interested in. Right now, the most compelling game I've seen is Resogun, so I'm going to give it some time.

As always, our official pointman for any comments, questions, concerns or complaints you may have is Sweep, so please do not hesitate to send him a PM, Skype call, or Steam message at any time of the day or night!

banner courtesty MattyFTM

#2 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

PSN ID: TurboMan

I'm going to.... go to sleep and wait for the UPS man to ring my doorbell. Enjoy the cold weather, ya big dummies!

#3 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

For me, my friend and I are going to GameStop at 6 to finalize our payments then go do random shit until midnight which probably includes bar hopping near by until 12am. I'm looking forward to seeing other Sony fans at the store. Maybe some GB people? Lorain County Ohio duders anyone going to a midnight release?

#4 Posted by Pedrofrazillio (28 posts) -

Pre-ordered mine from my local Wal-Mart store.. Going with a friend, i am staying at the pre-order line and he is staying at the non pre-order line, he will try to get one. We will get there at 10pm, since our city is pretty small and the manager said they will have around 20 non pre-ordered extras PS4 for sale..Hope 2 hours before is enough for him.

I am going with a fully charged phone, food (like snacks or maybe stopping at mc donalds before), and a lot of excitement!!

When i get back, i will already have my PS4 camera, FIFA 14, and the 1.50 patch update already downloaded on a flash drive ready to be installed. After installing the patch, i will be subscribing for the Playstation PLUS and add some people, because i am new on the Playstation world, since i had an xbox 360 before..

If u want to, u feel free to add me and lose really bad at Fifa 14, my PSN is PHFRAZILLIO.

Hope everything works fine to everyone!

#5 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

Nah, I paid my system in full. I'm going friday. No point waiting outside in the cold.

#6 Posted by csl316 (8959 posts) -

I've been to many game launch events, but never a console. But this time around I preordered a PS4 off Amazon as soon as they announced a price.

Thought about canceling a couple times, but I'm all in now with 4 retail games and 3 downloadable day one (but I only paid for 2 out of the 7, what a world). So my plan? Get home from work, go to a concert, then hibernate for the rest of the weekend with an open invitation to any interested friends.

I always recommend bringing something to do for a midnight launch event. It can get quite boring if they don't have swag. One of my favorites had us sitting around watching the Vanquish Quick Look, good times.

#7 Posted by blabbermouth64 (29 posts) -

I do not have a pre order but want to get one tomorrow night. Any suggestions? I've never been to a console launch before, but I was going to go to a Best buy after work which would be around 6-6:30. Do you guys think that is a sufficient plan? How many non preorder systems do they usually have? What's a good plan B if I don't get one from best buy?!?

#8 Edited by MB (12718 posts) -

@blabbermouth64: I don't know if Best Buy ever releases numbers on how many systems they have, but what I've seen them do in the past is come out at some point in the evening and hand out numbered cards to people in line that correspond to the number of systems they have...that way people aren't waiting in line for hours who don't have a chance to get a system.

If you're a Costco member I think that may be another option on Friday morning, from what I understand they are going to have a bundle for around $489 with a second DS4 and a year of PS+. There have been incidents in the past where Costco employees bought up all launch consoles before the store even opened though, so I guess you're taking your chances just like with anything. Otherwise, you should be scoping out Targets and Wal-Marts, places like that. Forget about game stores like Gamestop, they are the devil anyway.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

I will accept payment of £350 for the use of my banner, thank you.

#10 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1065 posts) -

Well done, Matty.
ReTarDedFisHy is making his little brother wait in line. Gotta love sibling superiority.

#11 Posted by Finis (70 posts) -

UK here so I'm waiting until the end of the month for release :(

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

Will this thread be used for spikes all access reveals ?

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: Since the Spike event is in the run up to the midnight release, I'd say it's fine to put that discussion here.

#14 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I got a text from GameStop saying that payment finalization was at 10pm, but the website said 6. I tweeted them about it an they of course were unhelpful. I wound up getting a revised text later in the evening, so I would say my campaign to eliminate confusion was a success. Very exited.

PSN morrelloman

#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

So...there are rumors for the all access event on Spike

PS4 Launch

Destiny trailer

inFamous Second Son Trailer maybe Demo soon

The Order 1866 gameplay

Mad Max Gameplay Reveal

Deep Down Trailer

USF4 Port

Last of Us DLC maybe PS4 port

MGS5 exclusive DLC

Epic Game

Santa Monica game( Not god of war)

Parapa the Rapper sequel (It is in the works supposedly)

Demon Souls 2 ( Again in the works supposedly)

Announcement from Sony R&D (VR)

In my opinion i just expect a few release dates and a new game announcement.

#16 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: A lot of those sound believable.

The trailers for games we already know about are all very likely. An inFamous demo in the near future also sounds like a good possibility as that game isn't all that far off. There have been some Mad Max gameplay leaks recently, so that game is certainly in a playable form.

The MGS V exclusive DLC seems all but certain. Not that big of a deal. That's just standard operating procedure for major releases these days.

Not too sure about the Street Fighter and Last of Us ports. The SF port seems like the much more likely of the two. I'd think Naughty Dog and Sony are probably more interested in creating a new AAA franchise.

The one that seems the least likely is Demon's Souls 2. With the strength of the Dark Souls name and with DS2 not even released yet, why would they go back to the Demon's Souls name?

#17 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

@chaser324: I think the rumors about Demon's Souls 2 started when the head director Hidetaka Miyazaki announced he was not working on Dark Souls 2 but is working on a "Secret" Project. Also the same guy who first broke the news of Driveclub being delayed said on neogaf that Demon's Souls 2 was supposed to be announced at TGS but it didn't happen.

#18 Posted by firecracker22 (553 posts) -

Doing the midnight release with my brother tonight. No preorder, so it could be a miss. But, still going to try and see if we can get one at best buy. If that doesn't work out, then my shots in the dark will be KMART and Sam's Club.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

What is a PS4 and what does it do?

#20 Posted by firecracker22 (553 posts) -

So, just as an update, I'm still stuck at work. But, my brother has the day off. He's just made it to Best Buy...and there's already a line forming. He, and our brother laws, are sitting in 9th or 10th in line now. As soon as I'm out of work, I'll join them.

It appears that now, it may only be a matter of waiting...

#21 Edited by Jackel2072 (2268 posts) -

I waited 24 hours in line once for a console.... And li never do it again. Thank you amazon!

@blabbermouth64:

Well it varies from store to store but I can tell you the target I used to work at has 33 of em in the back room. Granted all 33 are spoken for due to pre orders. They also over sold on pre orders so this will be a fun mess for them. And around the time of the PS3 they got in a whole 8 units. So like I said it varies on a lot of different things. The only thing you can do is go wait in line and hope who ever the manager is, is nice and informs the line the number of systems they have.

#22 Posted by MB (12718 posts) -

The Best Buy closest to my house already has at least 35 people in line as of 3pm. They were all bundled up getting ready for possible rain tonight, behind this portable barricade along the front of the store. They looked like a bunch of refugees getting ready to show their papers, please!

#23 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

Officially number 8 to get the ps4 at my local GameStop. now enjoying a tall great lakes Christmas ale to celebrate

#24 Edited by MB (12718 posts) -

Saw a post on Cheapassgamer that "confirms" Costco will have PS4 bundles on Friday morning for $489.99 that come with a year of PS+ and a second controller. I didn't see any sources cited for this information, but it's what has been going around the net. For those without a preorder, this may be one of your best bets. If you aren't a Costco member you can always buy a membership when they're ringing up your purchase, too. Should be around $50-$60 for a year.

#25 Posted by Jackel2072 (2268 posts) -

@mb: can't confirm the price but yes Costco is getting some in. Remember though you need to be a member to buy anything there.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

My midnight launch is staying up late, listening to podcasts and playing Civ 5. Sleep then watching the Live Stream all day until Fed Ex delivers me console. Hope it comes with some games, just got an email saying they were delayed a day or two, kinda sucks...

PSN ID: NTylerWeTrust

#27 Posted by Raisu (8 posts) -

Number 16 to pick up at my GameStop. There was only about 10 more people behind me to finalize their sale and get a number. Don't know how many preordered total though. Glad I won't have to stand outside for too long. It's not terribly cold but supposed to be around 32 degrees at midnight.

#28 Posted by theninjamonke (31 posts) -

Guys the best idea is to get to gamestop sunday morning an hour before they open or any other store that was selling PS4's and see if they have a PS4 that didn't get claimed by the person who pre-ordered it. This will not work in a big city though

#29 Posted by MB (12718 posts) -

Well, I called three of the closest Costco stores to me and had reps look up the supposed item number for their PS4 bundle, and none of them could find any indication that any bundles had even been ordered, let alone shipped to stores. To be fair, I had to spell PlayStation for two of them, and the third guy said "we normally don't get bundles like that for a year or two after release." Right.

So much for that idea, I'm just going to go back to not buying a PS4 I think. Too much work. If anyone gets a line on a good location for PS4's on Friday morning in the San Francisco area, shoot me a PM.

#30 Edited by squiDc00kiE (360 posts) -

I'm going to my local Gamestop which just so happens to have a bar attached to it. So that will help the time pass.

#31 Posted by oubipaws (4 posts) -

Number 2 at local GameStop; relaxing at home and going back at 11:45 to pick up the console :-)

#32 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

Just to double check. When you buy the ps4 you get one month of PS+ free right?

#33 Edited by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

So I preordered the PS4 for instore pickup on bestbuy.com the hour it went up so I could avoid launch crazy and just waltz in tomorrow.

Instead of listening to my own sane logic, my wife and I are eating dinner right now at the Applebee's directly infront of said Best Buy store, so we can walk into it come midnight.

The hype sickness, I have it.

Edit: Whats worse is that I will likely do the exact same thing next week for the XBO instore pickup preorder I have.

#34 Posted by D_Mac (136 posts) -

Well, we're now two hours from the EST midnight launch events for PS4s. Take it back two days: the wife and I took in a few games hanging around we want to trade in at our local Gamestop here in Toronto to knock a couple more bucks off our preorder. At this time I got the skinny on how the midnight launch would go down. Most notably, the sales guy talked us into getting the 15 dollar power-up card, primarily because he mentioned there would be two lines for pre-order pickups, one for the pro card holders, and one for everyone else, and that the pro card holders would be processed first. Being old, old people, we opted for the 15 dollar card, and headed out, but something didn't sit right with me. This was especially a concern because the sales clerk mentioned that they are oversold on preorders and they won't have enough units to fulfill them.

This sounded familiar to me, I seemed to recall a story like this were Gamestop was trying something similar, ie forcing customers to pay more money to get access to their unit. Essentially, he said to me that I possibly wouldn't get the thing I paid for in advance, on time, unless I gave them more money.

This is my first console launch buying from Gamestop (I used to live near a big box store in the suburbs, and they handled things very differently). Is this normal? Are American shops doing the same thing, how about other Canadian stores?

#35 Posted by JayEH (535 posts) -

@d_mac: That sounds fishy. There should be no reason why you should have to pay for the card. Sounds like the guy just needed to meet his quota and was making up some BS to do so.

#36 Edited by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

@d_mac: from everything I've seen over the years, you're much better off doing your hardware preorders from a best buy, future shop, or even a walmart. Most dont start taking preorders until they have first allotment estimates. Gamestop will take preorders before the hardware is even officially announced, and makes no guarantees.

#37 Posted by Mittt (45 posts) -

I am 2nd in line at a Walmart with 7 systems over their preorders. I walked in about 10 minutes ago. The person in front of me is a very sweet elderly lady.

Sometimes, living in a small Texas town has its advantages.

#38 Posted by D_Mac (136 posts) -

@jayeh said:

@d_mac: That sounds fishy. There should be no reason why you should have to pay for the card. Sounds like the guy just needed to meet his quota and was making up some BS to do so.

Doesn't? I'm used to this sort of thing, paying for priority access/VIP access for lines at theme parks and whatnot, so it didn't bother me initially, but now that I think about it, it seems kind of dishonest. I'll be sure to take photos of the whole scene soon, so you guys can check it out.

@eujin, you're right, should have gone to the Futureshop down the road. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

#39 Edited by MB (12718 posts) -

@d_mac: Gamestop is infamous for pushing their discount card subscriptions on people. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a rogue employee trying to pad his numbers, an overzealous store manager trying to sell pro cards, or even a new Gamestop corporate policy.

I'd ask the store manager and then probably write an email to their corporate office to try and get some answers no matter what the manager's answer is. That sounds super shady.

#40 Posted by firecracker22 (553 posts) -

So I'm standing in line now outside of bestbuy. The line was pretty damn long, until tickets were handed out. Anyone without a ticket was sure not to get one. So now it's a matter of waiting. We're number 12, so it's looking good. Right now, they're letting in people who hqve preordered to pay.

#41 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

If you're looking to order a PS4 online and also happen to be in the market for a tablet, Amazon is going to have a PS4 / Kindle Fire bundle for $600 starting at 12:01 EST tonight.

#44 Posted by blabbermouth64 (29 posts) -

Thanks guys. I am currently 20-something in line and I'm hoping I get my hands on one! Good luck to everyone else also trying to get one without a pre-order!

#45 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (764 posts) -

Amazon baby! Getting it probably at 2 p.m. today and I didn't have to deal with people, the drive, shipping or taxes! :D

#46 Posted by MB (12718 posts) -

Amazon launch bundles are available right now, I just bought one. Get on it fast.

#47 Posted by Gruebacca (525 posts) -

I stood in line at Best Buy, and then bought mine off Amazon. Oh well. I had some fun while I was there.

#48 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2188 posts) -

You guys might want to try one of your own HDMI cables, as Sony's super cheap cable might be causing the port damage.

#49 Edited by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

PS4 hooked up, updating to 1.5 now.

#50 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6309 posts) -

My brother just stood in line for three hours at Wal-Mart to keep a friend company while he bought one. I think he was ready to get all stabby stabby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.