PS4 memory crisis incoming?

• 82 results
#1 Edited by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

So this thread has popped up on NeoGaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634711

Long and the short of it is that tomorrow Eurogamer is posting an article about something "dramatic" regarding the PS4's memory, something seemingly dramatic enough that apparently Sony pressured Eurogamer to keep quiet about it until tomorrow due to them (Sony) needing to prepare a statement in response.

Any guesses as to what the bomb's going to be?

#2 Posted by narujoe93 (2458 posts) -

I dont know, but sony is riding a fine line with this next gen stuff. They can lose supporters just as quickly as they've gained them

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4033 posts) -

Chuck E. Cheese's manufactures the first RAM batches.

#4 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

Don't tell me it's NOT going to double as a grill.

#5 Posted by Akyho (1550 posts) -

PS4 could be bad?.......FUCK IT!! AM OUT!

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2644 posts) -

No it's simple guys. For the PS4 to work it requires Twinkies to not be produced anywhere in the world. Since production is back up for Twinkies the PS4 will no longer work.

#7 Edited by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

Has CBoat come out to cock fed the people that are overreacting? "Here i'll nurture you"

#8 Edited by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

Did you even read the thread?

lol

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19174 posts) -
#10 Edited by Darji (5295 posts) -

Sony did not pressure them but rather wants to comment the right way to this. And if you are a good journalist you wait for a companies response.

lol

"i'm seeing Gaf and amazes me how it has become a huge mountain from a tweet"

"Calm down! It's just some info about how memory works and nothing more. Nothing serious! "

haha

#11 Posted by narujoe93 (2458 posts) -

GOD DAMN ROOSKIES

#12 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

GOD DAMN ROOSKIES

Spanish russians are the most devious of russians.

#13 Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

GOD DAMN ROOSKIES

Possibly the dumbest comment i've ever seen. HAHA

#14 Posted by narujoe93 (2458 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

GOD DAMN ROOSKIES

Possibly the dumbest comment i've ever seen. HAHA

DIDNT YOU KNOW? JEFFY GERSTMAN IS A SLEEPER AGENT FOR THE COMMIES, AND GB IS A FRONT FOR THEIR DASTARDLY DEEDS. GAMEBOMB.RU IS THE HOME BASE

#15 Edited by Dixego (357 posts) -

@psylah said:

@naru_joe93 said:

GOD DAMN ROOSKIES

Spanish russians are the most devious of russians.

I, as a spanish russian myself, can verify this statement as true.

#16 Posted by avenlaya (55 posts) -

I think it's just going to be along the lines of how much RAM they were expecting to have to make the consoles. Maybe there was a delay on the amount that was promised by Sony's distributor.

#17 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

at least we got a nice gif^^

#18 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

@darji said:

at least we got a nice gif^^

"Oh god oh god oh god don't fuck this up am I pressing too hard? oh god oh wait I got it"

#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@banefirelord said:

So this thread has popped up on NeoGaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634711

Long and the short of it is that tomorrow Eurogamer is posting an article about something "dramatic" regarding the PS4's memory, something seemingly dramatic enough that apparently Sony pressured Eurogamer to keep quiet about it until tomorrow due to them (Sony) needing to prepare a statement in response.

Any guesses as to what the bomb's going to be?

Chances are its a downclock of the memory.

Nothing major.

If its even something major. OR OS taking more Ram.

#20 Posted by Syed117 (388 posts) -

I don't really care if its some lowering of the promised specs, would be disappointing but not a deal breaker. Maybe it's something good?

Just don't want a delay or to find out that best buy can't honor my pre order because they found out that Sony can't deliver enough systems.

That wouldn't make sense though because amazon opened up pre orders for bundles again.

#21 Edited by oldenglishC (860 posts) -

oldenglishC-boat says expect 4.2 GB of RDRAM.

#22 Posted by Korwin (2725 posts) -

Probably a fab problem that needs to be worked out with the manufacturer, might just potentially cut the supply chain availability down a bit.

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

For what? For games? Isnt that less then Xboxone? Why 4.2?

#24 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4033 posts) -

@oldenglishc said:

I just wiki'd that, and realized that's a hilarious joke. I fucking liked it.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@oldenglishc said:

I just wiki'd that, and realized that's a hilarious joke. I fucking liked it.

I doubt its anything serious.

#26 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

The fuck? Why is this a thread?

#27 Posted by Zeik (2117 posts) -

Sony inadvertently used up all the memory and we're on the verge of a memory apocalypse. A Mempocalypse.

#28 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

I like to browse GAF as much as the next guy, but ya'll need to stop acting like every little thing they discuss is gonna lead to a bombshell. At the end of the day it's a videogame forum and they have as many dumb fanboys jumping to conclusions as anywhere else. That thread proved as much. Console wars bring out the worst and Neogaf is no exception.

I mean for fuck's sakes man, this thing was debunked before you even made the thread.

#29 Posted by Mcfart (1429 posts) -

They're using DDR1 RAM

Imagine the outcry.

#30 Edited by Evilsbane (4348 posts) -

All the ram will be replaced with floppy disks, it is the only rational explanation!

#31 Posted by schreiberty (189 posts) -

so is this actually anything or what?

#32 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

Sony, in an effort to compete with The Cloud, has figured out a way to harness the earth's molten core to offload AI routines. Phil Fish has been tapped to make the announcement tomorrow morning.

#33 Posted by Zeik (2117 posts) -

Sony, in an effort to compete with The Cloud, has figured out a way to harness the earth's molten core to offload AI routines. Phil Fish has been tapped to make the announcement tomorrow morning.

I read that as "trapped" at first.

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (12986 posts) -

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

#35 Edited by msavo (7523 posts) -

I love how overblown this got.

#36 Posted by xyzygy (9637 posts) -

What was overblown? What's the actual news? What's going on?

#37 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4033 posts) -

@msavo said:

I love how overblown this got.

Yea, I know. Chuck E. Cheese isn't even that bad.

#38 Posted by isomeri (1176 posts) -

GDDR5 is expensive and hard to obtain in large quantities. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony are having issues meeting their production targets because of this. But I doubt that they would backtrack to using GDDR3 after how much they've touted the superior memory as a major feature of the PS4. Then again judging from the Xbox One news of the last couple of months I guess anything can happen.

#39 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4677 posts) -

16 GB GDDR5!!!

You heard it here first!

#40 Posted by Landmine (518 posts) -

@zeik said:

@krakn3dfx said:

Sony, in an effort to compete with The Cloud, has figured out a way to harness the earth's molten core to offload AI routines. Phil Fish has been trapped to make the announcement tomorrow morning.

I read that as "trapped" at first.

Fixed.

#41 Edited by Humanity (7998 posts) -

PS4 doesn't need to be always online but you need to hook it up to a stationary bike and always be pedaling. The faster you pedal the better the graphics.

#42 Posted by SomeJerk (2978 posts) -

This is actually nothing. Just the Eurogamer guy writing in a "teehee we have a big dramatic secret of shit" way.

#43 Edited by narujoe93 (2458 posts) -

Its like no one actually read this thread and glossed over the 10th comment. The one showing the same guy tweeting how ridiculous gaf is and how its just going to be a story detailing the spec

#44 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Memory Crisis Incoming? New Metal Gear spin-off?

#45 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Its like no one actually read this thread and glossed over the 10th comment. The one showing the same guy tweeting how ridiculous gaf is and how its just going to be a story detailing the spec

So why did he say Drama? Sound like he wanted attention *The twitter dude*

#46 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -
#47 Posted by MildMolasses (3197 posts) -

@humanity said:

PS4 doesn't need to be always online but you need to hook it up to a stationary bike and always be pedaling. The faster you pedal the better the graphics.

Where can I pre-order the bike?

#48 Posted by jimmyfenix (3687 posts) -

So, I ain't readin' 2000 posts, especially if this thread went the way I think it did...

Is this an apt summary of this thread?

- Nebulous tweet from some duder who thinks there might be "bad news" on the horizon for Sony.

- Thread gets posted.

- Anti-Sony fanboys come flocking in full of glee and smiles.

- News turns out to not be a reduction of RAM.

- Anti-Sony fanboys scamper back off into the woods, editing posts left and right

- PS4 is architecturally the same as we thought it was last week

This guy from neogaf got it right.

#49 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So, I ain't readin' 2000 posts, especially if this thread went the way I think it did...

- Nebulous tweet from some duder who thinks there might be "bad news" on the horizon for Sony.

- Thread gets posted.

- Anti-Sony fanboys scamper back off into the woods, editing posts left and right

So twitter guy wanted attention and got the wrong kind.

#50 Posted by jimmyfenix (3687 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

So twitter guy wanted attention and got the wrong kind.

Pretty much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.