Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Pro - In Hand

• 81 results
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, Amazon was very efficient with delivery, my PS 4 Pro arrived for the first delivery from UPS today.

Sadly, this is the weekend I am going off island with my vehicle. I have to move two 19th century paintings, and my job pays to have my car ferried, so I jump at such opportunities. But, with two paintings to transport, my bag, and sad feline friend it would be too much to bring the Pro with me.

Standard looking box
    Standard looking box
    They point out -as a cool game to play -No Man's Sky ...ouch!
    They point out -as a cool game to play -No Man's Sky ...ouch!
    PRO Enhanced....!
    PRO Enhanced....!

It will be Tuesday before I can even touch it, but still nice to have.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Quipido

At least you'll get the games downloaded till Tuesday!

I got mine today as well, I have been enjoying it a lot. It's exactly as expected, specificaly without a 4k TV. Looks great, the supported games run very well ("forward compatible ones".) At first I was put off by the idea of upgrading mid-cycle, but when I realised it's so cheap to upgrade (selling the original console) and all the games carry over, I think it's awesome. Good times.

EDIT: To actually contribute some semi-useful info, the console is really quiet, only makes a small ammount of hum when istalling a game from the Blue-Ray, otherwise it's much quiter than the ogPS4. Also after running games for 5-6 hours straight, it didn't heat up at all, it was just warm on the top, same as regular PS4. Seems like a pretty solid build.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think that means it runs faster when vertically oriented. Figures they'd find a way to sell accessories. :p

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the original PS4 design way too much to trade it in for a PS4 Pro :/

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i guess you're not a fan of the third bun, huh???

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

I wasn't really thinking much about the idea of getting one, but after reading the Digital Foundry review and thinking about the convenience of having a second PS4 so I don't have to keep moving my current one back and forth between the two different places I play it in...I might just go for it now, the price is reasonable enough (especially considering the money I saved by not getting a VR headset). Then maybe a decent 4K/HDR TV next year once prices have come down a little more.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Puchiko

The power savings alone that Digital Foundry found in testing has made it worth replacing my launch PS4. I've never had any heat or noise problems like other peeps on my old PS4 and the fact this runs cooler and quieter is a bonus as well. I don't have a 4K TV but the super sampling has me more excited than native 4K.

If Sony released a new PS4 PRO every year I would buy it...

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Zurv

I just got mine.. put a 2TB SSD in.. and .. i guess it will collect dust till horizon dawn comes out....

edit: the 1tb in there is some junk 5400rpm. ouch. they still use those. that makes me sad.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I am buying one but going to wait and see a little if a FFXV bundle rears its head.

MrTrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrTrecker

When I woke up today I didn't plan on buying one, but I had a 10% off coupon, was in Target on my lunch break, and thought "why not."

It's been sitting in the trunk of my car all day, so I'm looking forward to getting home and playing Journey with my girlfriend, then DOOM after she falls asleep. Aside from a Wii U I had last year, I haven't had a console since the 360 and haven't played a "AAA" game since Metal Gear Rising, so I think/hope FFXV and Last Guardian end up being mind blowing on our 4k tv.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank

@probablytuna said:

i guess you're not a fan of the third bun, huh???

No Caption Provided

Its all about them buns with Sony!

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait for the model that includes a 4K blu ray player. The XboxOne-S has it but not the PS4 Pro? WTF Sony...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who bought the day 1 PS4, I'm really tempted to get this and I feel bad.

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By OrwellHuxZam

I'm actually having trouble getting the console to display in 4K. It worked initially, then just stopped. I think it's a cable issue.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to buy one but I already have a PS4 that is six months old and I don't have a 4KTV so I just can't justify it right now.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Seikenfreak

Mine arrived this afternoon. First thing was to test it with my AV receiver and see if 4K/HDR worked: It did not BUT.. I think that is because the TV and receiver are not playing nicely. The Xbox One S didn't want to work either so I guessed the system wasn't handshaking correctly with the receiver. Upon this test though, I am inclined to believe it is the TV and receiver. I've been in contact with someone at Yamaha about the issue since the XoneS and now I need to update him on the PS4 Pro, or more specifically that it seems to be the TV. Both TV and receiver are 2015 models that support 4K/HDR. PS4 Pro seems to work fine when plugged directly into the TV though.

Anyway, now that I barfed all that irrelevant info out, after testing the above, I installed a 1TB SSD and it's been transferring the data from my old PS4 for a few hours now and will be through the rest of the night. So I didn't play anything on it yet.

System doesn't seem big or heavy IMO. Not hearing fan noise.. but I never really did on consoles.

Oh and I randomly got a $20 coupon from Amazon for CoD: Infinite Warfare.. so even though I haven't bought a CoD game since World at War, Jeff said the campaign is cool.. so whatever why not give it a shot.

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought a PS4 day one and am now really tempted to buy a PS4 Pro. Don't have a 4K TV yet and probably won't till some time next year, but I've heard very good things about Playstation VR and enhancements to the sharpness and graphics quality with the PS4 Pro, and that's something that I really, really want. However I just can't decide on what to do with my old PS4 then. Trading it in at Gamestop would probably be an option, but I would of course like to transfer all my data to the PRO, which would require the old and the new PS4 to both still be in my possession at the same time, or am I missing another option here?

Of course I could also just try to sell my old PS4 a few days afterwards, but I'm really not sure how much money a day one launch model is still worth and if it's even worth the hassle.

So... yeah. Really undecided over here. Anybody else on the fence like me?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand your caption on the 2nd picture? It's tempting to get one, but I'm gonna hold off. By the time I get a new TV, something else will be out I'm sure.

cigaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cigaro

I got my PS4 Pro hooked up to my 65 inch LG C6 OLED....

Only game I have tried so far is Last of Us. Boy does that game look pretty running at 4K with HDR.... especially considering that it was originally made for PS3.

I am updating Uncharted 4 right now... I cant imagine how that game is going to look holy hell. Really digging the new DS4 also... love that they added a light bar to the touch pad.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joker8765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@knurrunkulus: If you have an external hard drive you can backup your PS4 to it and then use that backup to restore on the PS4 pro. I did it that way and it worked perfectly.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone have experience on how quickly the transfer process takes via ethernet?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#28  Edited By sammo21

I'm a big Sony fan and the PS4 Pro kind of bums me out. The Digital Foundry reviews have me wondering why this thing is coming out this year at all and not coming out next fall with better specs and as a direct competitor to the Scorpio.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being out first guarantees sales now, not later.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz@rinsatori Took me like.. 8 or so hours to transfer around 350GB >.>

That was through a router, not directly between systems. Didn't see anything online about direct being faster so I just did it through router..

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying the Pro. Great to get a 3-year GPU bump to keep things current in the same way a PC gets a GPU bump about every 3 years to keep up with the visuals. Seems to be a bit of a lottery on fan noise levels, but I'm doing pretty well - as long s there's not a disc spinning in the drive then it's all good. Lots of nice visuals coming out of the box too, going to dive into VR at the weekend and see if there's much of an improvement there.

As to doing data transfers, all PS4s have gigabit ports so if you directly connect a cat 5e cable you can transfer about a GB every 8 seconds (up to 450GB/hour). Does require you to sign into PSN via the wifi before you can start the direct transfer. Have heard some pretty bad things about connections going via a router so probably best to avoid that, even if you're using a gigabit switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@seikenfreak: Yeah i used cable. Also i have replaced the HDDs in both so i bet that helped a little.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im reading that some games are performing worse even at 1080(due to supersampling). Skyrim and deus ex and some other games

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@oursin_360: Yeah, Brad tweeted that article out earlier today. It's a shame too. Sony seems to have just screwed this whole thing up. It seems unreal that the Sony from 3 years ago has turned into what it is in 2016.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seikenfreak

But.. aren't the frame drops not even that bad? Like 3-5 in specifically tough spots in games? Except for the one game where it was dropping 5-10 fps? I can't remember.

Not sure what the big deal is. I'd guess people are more hung up on the whole messaging thing rather than the actual issue.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are paying extra for an upgraded machine that only exists to make games run better and it's doing the opposite - I'd be pissed at that too :-(

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: If you buy Last of Us on the PS4 and run at 1080p it runs better than it does on the PS4 Pro running at 1080p. Supersampling or not, this is not really something that's acceptable.

I expect Sony to be cracking down on this hard in this next week. You can't have this kind of messaging about your new system going out right before December.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sharpens internet pitchfork*

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: That's... basically it's really weird to see people loving to hate the Pro so much that they are coming up with magical fantasies.

You can play tLoU on the Pro in non-Pro mode. You can not patch it, so then it'll run as a PS4 and it'll run identically to the PS4 base. Exact same framerate, exact same 1080p rendering.

However, you can run it fully patched and it'll be in Pro mode. Here, you can run it at 4K where it'll be 30fps (like the original game) or can run it in 1800p, where it generally hits 60fps.

3200x1800 is about three times the pixel count of 1920x1080. It's lovely, looks great. But there is no 1080p mode. There's no way of getting the game to look like the base PS4 without removing the current patch so it runs in non-Pro mode and so runs at exactly the same framerate as the base PS4.

You can only see the Last of Us looking significantly better. If can either run at 60 or 30 fps with some difference in detail, but that 1800p mods looks real nice on a FullHD TV. In some scenes, that version drops a few frames so is more 55fps than locked 60. It's the first patch and they may well come back and do another optimising pass to get it just right but I don't think we've ever seen a console that doesn't release games that sometimes drop frames. Like, this has always been how consoles work - they basically never have 3D games that are so conservative in their rendering that they are always, 100% running at peak resolution (in the era of games dropping res rather than dropping frames) and framerate. This is... perfectly normal. The sky is not falling but people who really need to hate the Pro for some ideological reason are being pushed into a feeding frenzy based on a preliminary report before detailed info is out and which Sony have said they're looking into on the very first Pro firmware with launch day games.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: I think with new hardware there should be an expected level of issues, but I don't think it's "pitchforks" to expect your new console to perform like it's supposed to. And saying you can play a generation and a half old game without the upgraded patch to get it to run right kinda goes against the point of paying for a new 400$ machine, and i read it was way more than just 5fps drops at times.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shivoa

@oursin_360: See, "run right" - what? You mean a game that's running at basically 60fps is terrible because it drops a few frames? Wut? It's not that you need to not patch to get it to run right, it's saying that it's impossible to frame this as a regression (which is the framing); if anyone genuinely believed this was a regression (which I severely doubt) then they could play it exactly like the PS4 base did. The fact that no one would ever do this is, quite clearly, showing the lie that anyone actually thinks this is a regression in performance.

The new console is performing as expected. It is playing games that look much better and often also with higher framerates. Like how GTA V came to new platforms and looked better and played with less drops but just because that is true doesn't mean that there were no games that couldn't drop lower when cranked up over a transition to a new performance level. This is literally people going out of their way to find the exceptions, the minor regression (it's not like games that used to run at 60 are dropping to 30 or actually looking worse - games are all getting things like triple the pixel counts with Pro mode), in order to feed a terrible crusade against... mid generation GPU upgrades. Trying to hunt for desperate rationalisation "Oh, it's completely pointless unless you have a 4K TV and no one has one of those".

Side-by-side with the base PS4 title running on a 4K screen, there is a big, big boost to image quality overall in Battlefield 1, but there's very much the sense that similar to the likes of Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2, we're sitting at a resolution threshold at some kind of midpoint between 1080p and 4K. The irony is that the quality of the presentation when downsampled to 1080p is really impressive - a clear visual upgrade over the base PS4 title. PS4 Pro owners who haven't made the jump to a 4K screen are definitely in for a treat here.

It's important to point out that PS4 Pro's BF1 enhancements are not simply limited to resolution. Moving through some of the more demanding areas of the campaign, Pro frame-rates are significantly improved over the more variable base PlayStation 4 version, so it's clear that some GPU power has been dedicated to ensuring a smoother experience overall - not just in upping pixel-count. [EG/DF]

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: It may be performing how you* expected, but obviously that's not the case for everybody. "run right" = same performance as ps4 version

Again, don't own one and don't plan on it now but people have the right to complain about their equipment not running how they expected it to, even if it is fine for you.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be great if more Pro owners were complaining. But this all seems to come from people who don't own one, were vocal about their ideological dislike of the concept of a Pro, and are running with any scrap they can.

What does "same performance" mean? Running the same? It does that - you can literally choose that option but no one would. Run with radically more detailed visuals and a slightly different performance profile that's roughly the same framerate? Does that too. going to go to war over a few games that average a few less frames per second while looking much better at the same time? If that's your genuine concern then you should absolutely be returning your Pro because this isn't the console for you.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OurSin_360

@shivoa: I would like to hear from more owners, and roughly the same isn't the same especially when you get into the sub 30 territory(skyrim/deus ex etc). I don't really need any better visuals, I understand not running the best at 4k but just give me 1080 60 with no supersampling. Maybe they will patch in these options? I don't frequent too many forums so i don't see all the "pitchforks" people are claiming, unless you mean people like me who were/are on the fence about upgrading?

also for anybody who owns one, how important is the HDR when 4k gaming? I got my tv before i even knew exactly what that was.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HDR is on the base PS4 so that's definitely not something you need to upgrade for. Yes, HDR is a 4K TV feature so it makes sense to throw more pixels at your 4K TV if you're using HDR but you don't need the Pro to get the benefits of HDR.

It's something you can only really see for yourself. Luckily, in the next year or two then every store that sells TVs will be able to give you a good idea of the difference as they move to selling more HDR TVs and pushing it.

On a good TV, it's the difference between 250nit and 1000nits. The white objects in a scene are four times brighter. Rather than having to paint some light bloom around white stuff to give the impression it is bright, the object is actually bright. Why you need a good TV to pull that off is you still needs the blacks to look good, to still have details in the dark areas. The backlight is also made to better output colours so greens can be greener (same for the other primary colours but the green really pops) - that's something you'll be seeing if you look at some of the new Apple gear when watching DCI-P3 content that uses a larger gamut than the sRGB range we currently build around.

Games are only just starting to move to HDR so it's still early days. Lots of work to get the tone mapping looking good on a wide range of different sets (eg LOED TVs often top out just above 500nits) and provide the settings so users can tweak their own experience. But this is a transition that is going to happen. Eventually, you'll just expect it in new games and older games will just be "those dim ones with dull colours" as another way to tell the era games or movies come from.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa said:

HDR is on the base PS4 so that's definitely not something you need to upgrade for. Yes, HDR is a 4K TV feature so it makes sense to throw more pixels at your 4K TV if you're using HDR but you don't need the Pro to get the benefits of HDR.

It's something you can only really see for yourself. Luckily, in the next year or two then every store that sells TVs will be able to give you a good idea of the difference as they move to selling more HDR TVs and pushing it.

On a good TV, it's the difference between 250nit and 1000nits. The white objects in a scene are four times brighter. Rather than having to paint some light bloom around white stuff to give the impression it is bright, the object is actually bright. Why you need a good TV to pull that off is you still needs the blacks to look good, to still have details in the dark areas. The backlight is also made to better output colours so greens can be greener (same for the other primary colours but the green really pops) - that's something you'll be seeing if you look at some of the new Apple gear when watching DCI-P3 content that uses a larger gamut than the sRGB range we currently build around.

Games are only just starting to move to HDR so it's still early days. Lots of work to get the tone mapping looking good on a wide range of different sets (eg LOED TVs often top out just above 500nits) and provide the settings so users can tweak their own experience. But this is a transition that is going to happen. Eventually, you'll just expect it in new games and older games will just be "those dim ones with dull colours" as another way to tell the era games or movies come from.

You think it's worth a tv upgrade if you already have a 4k tv without it? HDR feels like the one thing i'm missing right now, seems like it's the real upgrade from what everybody says. :-(

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: A good HDR TV aint cheap. I wouldnt upgrade if you already got an 4k TV.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shivoa

@oursin_360: Right now, the really nice HDR sets are not priced for normal people. I'm not saying it's a good idea to buy a $5000 TV when in 2 years that quality may well be in $500 TVs. Right now you can't get affordable, low input lag, & HDR worth having - even only getting two at the same time seems a stretch.

I also have concerns about how the standards are going to pan out (especially vs technical capabilities of various displays). We're building a signal standard based on Rec.2020 but no one even suggests we'll get Rec.2020 backlights, P3 is basically the half-way step from sRGB to Rec.2020. Hollywood is going for P3 so at least movies are going to be good on those display - and it is enough colour for most things you'll see in nature. But we don't even have working colourspace management on any Windows PCs yet, so everything is broken there (some games can call to vendor-specific APIS which is how PC HDR games work today).

Backlights that can hit above 1000nits are good (but OLED means stuff can't rely on it). 10-bit per pixel panels are good (12-bit are even better but for a mainstream migration, 10-bit is enough to avoid banding while giving better peak brightness). Large colour spaces are probably good and having systems capable of managing colourspaces is essential to that (which is work not close to done yet). The in-display tone-mapping (see link above) is concerning and why I think there may be movement as tech advances to catch up more to where the ideas of the HDR standard came from. Right now there's a touch of wobble in ideals (brighter displays with better contrast and deeper colours) vs implementation (brighter displays which don't really do great contrast but try to fake it with deeper colours that you can't manage properly from many sources and which is all at the mercy of iffy algorithms in the displays designed by the people who think TVs look better when you run a harsh sharpening algorithm on them [TVs ship with high sharpness - something which only leads to terrible sharpening halos and loss of image quality]).

I think it'll be good to have more bright displays out there, it'll be good for colourspace management to become normal. HDR does look good. But I'd not say throwing a lot of money at what is out there today is a great move and if you're already on 4K then you should be good (as long as you've got HDCP 2.2 so you're not going to get locked out of content for DRM reasons). At some point, there will hopefully be some cheaper TVs that offer a clear upgrade from your current set in terms of brightness and colour depth - that'll be a time to consider the switch over. It'll also be when more than a handful of games and video sources are offering good 4K HDR content to watch/play on the TV. At that point there may well be a new high-end which is actually working out how to make bright work with great contrast and the content will be there to make the best of it. Even the most expensive sets are possibly a mid-step to actual staggering HDR quality.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Are you an art dealer? Better yet, are you an art smuggler?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: @shivoa: thanks for the advice i think i will wait, i saw some cheap hdr sets but they probably arent great. Not sure if my set is hdcp 2.2 i use it mainly as a monitor and pc gaming ( i do know it gets ycbcr444) which seemed like a big deal when i was researching. Hdr didnt start being discussed really until like a few weeks after my purchase lol. Its a cheap set but it does what i want

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.