PS4 sells through 2.1 million units as of Dec. 1

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Apparently stated by Andrew House via this PS Awards stream going on right now, the PS4 has sold through (meaning sold to customers) 2.1 million units since its launch worldwide.

It's been officially posted by the PS Blog now:

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

#2 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -
#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4793 posts) -

consoles are dead

#4 Edited by Emoney244 (153 posts) -

RIP

#5 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3186 posts) -

People just don't have the money. :(

#6 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

Impressive numbers. I'll be interested to see where the numbers are this time next year, but it makes me glad to see people still want to buy dedicated gaming hardware.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

If you do the math of PS4 to burger, how many Whoppers is that?

#8 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1446 posts) -

@humanity said:

If you do the math of PS4 to burger, how many Whoppers is that?

2.1 million PS4s x $400 = $840 million

$840 million / $2.39 (price of Whopper) = 351,464,435 Whoppers

Or you could go crazy and buy 255,319,148 Double Whoppers (at $3.29), or 200,477,326 Triple Whoppers (at $4.19).

#9 Edited by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -

Awesome work, Sony.

Awesome work, people who bought a PS4.

  • 2013.12.03 and started broadcasting this site, at Ustream from 16:30 a pattern of winning!

#10 Edited by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

And a lot more people will buy Ps4s when the good games arrive.

#11 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

More like Xbox What am I right?!

#12 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@humanity said:

If you do the math of PS4 to burger, how many Whoppers is that?

2.1 million PS4s x $400 = $840 million

$840 million / $2.39 (price of Whopper) = 351,464,435 Whoppers

Or you could go crazy and buy 255,319,148 Double Whoppers (at $3.29), or 200,477,326 Triple Whoppers (at $4.19).

Godspeed you brave soul.

Since the population of the United States is 313 million people, Sony could buy a Whopper for every person living in America and have leftovers.

#13 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

Well done sony! But we all know ouya will win this gen.

#14 Posted by Grillbar (1797 posts) -

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird
i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner
so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days
and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low
now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

#15 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@grillbar: The answer is simple: significant shortages.

I think the official number they gave for Europe was 700k.

#16 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

#17 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

#18 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@snail said:

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

#19 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

#20 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

#21 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@darji said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

I'm still waiting for you to get me a PS4 since you're the official Sony representative for Dusseldorf.

#22 Edited by Raven10 (1727 posts) -

@grillbar: doubt they had many more than 1 million consoles ready for launch in each territory. I know some stores in the US had a very limited number of PS4's in on Black Friday but the thing was sold out nation wide by the time the sun rose. These are pretty great launch numbers and it's even more important to note that there are well over 1 million people worldwide on the wait list to get a system.

#24 Edited by Snail (8580 posts) -
@darji said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

I would be honestly surprised if Spain still had the buying power to represent 15% of any market in Europe. And buying the PS4 online from Portugal gets you the console in your hands, allegedly, in 1-2 weeks time.

I don't think you understand how dire the economic situation is for the middle class in these countries.

#25 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@snail said:
@darji said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

I would be honestly surprised if Spain still had the buying power to represent 15% of any market in Europe. And buying the PS4 online from Portugal gets you the console in your hands, allegedly, in 1-2 weeks time.

I don't think you understand how dire the economic situation is for the middle class in these countries.

I don't know where you're from but currently I'm living in Poland - that's Eastern Europe right on the border with Germany. The economy in this country is poor and after the union backing dries up it will most probably go completely belly up (thats in about 5 years). Average pay is fairly low all around, the job market sucks and prices get converted from the Euro to the benefit of no one. The PS4 costs roughly $200 more after you translate it into the Polish currency and yet despite this dire economic situation it sold out everywhere on the first day of release. Supposedly more units are coming Friday. So since I didn't take a day off from work and camp outside the Best Buy equivalent all night, I'm not gonna get my hands on one of these next gen consoles for at least a month or two (well technically just the PS4 cause despite Microsoft showcasing the Witcher 3 at their conference, the XBO is not coming to Poland until sometime late next year).

#26 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

@humanity: That's not my point though. I'm not saying there's no country in Europe with an economy strong enough to sell out all stocks of the PS4. I'm also certainly in no position to talk about Poland's economy.

Earlier comments implied that the console is sold out "in Europe" until March. I was pointing out that that is only likely to happen in select few countries. It isn't that much of a longshot to speculate that the only time when the PS4 probably won't be readily available in Portugal will be around Christmas.

#27 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@snail said:
@darji said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

I would be honestly surprised if Spain still had the buying power to represent 15% of any market in Europe. And buying the PS4 online from Portugal gets you the console in your hands, allegedly, in 1-2 weeks time.

I don't think you understand how dire the economic situation is for the middle class in these countries.

Especially in these countries entertainment like this has a high demand. People need to relax and it is much cheaper on the long run to buy a console than lets say go to the cinema each week.

#28 Posted by probablytuna (3539 posts) -

Compred to the Wii U's 3.9 million units as of September this year, this is an impressive number. Well done, Sony. You'll get my money.... next year.

#29 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@snail: I'm only stating that it very well may be ALL of Europe, or most of it. I'm not from here, but I'm currently living here. The PS4 is a fairly expensive piece of hardware for the common Pole to purchase and typically this has been a PC centric country, with consoles as an expensive side hobby that only a few entertained. Despite all this the console is completely sold out within one day in several Best-Buy sized electronic retailers, not to mention smaller independent Game shops which still thrive in this country. So I'm also not going to guess at the stock situation in Portugal or Greece, the latter having more important things to think about like astronomical unemployment rather than playing that hot new Knack game, but I'd guess it's also probably selling out a lot.

#30 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

wait wait wait? Is sony gonna buy me a burger or not?!

#31 Posted by jgf (382 posts) -

Allow me to quickly summarize the situation in Germany with this video:

Better preorder on amazon...

#32 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -
@darji said:

@snail said:
@darji said:

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@snail said:

@nictel said:

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

It is the case in most of Europe. And it is definitely the case in Portugal since this always was a Sony country. In France you have to wait until March right now. This think is mostly sold out.

When people say "Europe" they usually mean UK, Germany and France, maybe Italy if they remember it exists.

Spain is like 15% of the market as well and the other countries are not that small either^^

I would be honestly surprised if Spain still had the buying power to represent 15% of any market in Europe. And buying the PS4 online from Portugal gets you the console in your hands, allegedly, in 1-2 weeks time.

I don't think you understand how dire the economic situation is for the middle class in these countries.

Especially in these countries entertainment like this has a high demand. People need to relax and it is much cheaper on the long run to buy a console than lets say go to the cinema each week.

Where do you live?

I went to a private school in Portugal. Not a mad expensive place, but if people could afford it, they were part of the middle class. And, when it came to video games, life was lived accordingly: my friends had the new consoles within their launch windows, there were enough people in the playground with Game Boys that you could link cable to trade Pokémon, play Kirby minigames, or, later on with DSs, hang out with virtual puppies.

The friends I kept are all into video-games. All of them. Some way more than others, but the vast majority avidly plays games to this day. Some of these bought the PS3 when it cost 600€. Yet I know only one single person that bought the PS4 at launch. No one pre-ordered it. I would be happily surprised if any one bought it for Christmas. Heck, I know no one else personally who owns a 3DS, and only one who has a Wii U.

The middle class is suffering. People are counting pennies. Like you pointed out, you can't just ask someone to go to the movies like you could before. And buying a 400$ product for video-games is not something a lot of people are willing, or even able, to do. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just walk in and buy a PS4 at any popular franchised tech store in the country.

The way you speak so abstractedly and pseudo-analytically of "these countries" makes me pretty confident in the assumption that you don't live here.

#33 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@snail: I live in Germany and while it is true that I can not say the exact situation there, history has proven a lot of times that people in financial and economical crisis often related on media and technical entertainment to relax. For example in Germany before and during the second world war money and financial issues were a huge issue, but none or less cinemas and other forms of entertainment to forget all this have boomed at that time.

Of course this will not influence everyone and people surely will now wait longer to get such a expensive piece of hardware and Sony most likely did not ship 250K consoles there for sure, but I am pretty sure that this thing is still mostly sold out in Portugal for example. And to be honest in the long run a console is way more productive than going to the cinema. You pay a lot for something you will use for years to come so it is definitely worth it in the long run.

#34 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@darji: Don't answer if it's too personal but did you grow up in Eastern or Western Germany?

#35 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji: Don't answer if it's too personal but did you grow up in Eastern or Western Germany?

Why should that be to personal? As long you don't ask for my true name you can ask me almost everything XD

I grew up in Western Germany but I know a lot about Eastern Germany as well since my uncle comes from there. Why do you ask?

#36 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@darji: Just curious since I've heard that to this day Eastern and Western Germans don't mix that great. Since your family comes from the wealthier part of Germany I assume you probably have a different outlook on things as opposed to the much impoverished Eastern side.

#37 Edited by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

@grillbar: Its the best selling console launch in history. Nothing has sold that much on its launch. Its beeen extremely successful. The 360 only sold around 300,000 on launch. And the Wii only 600,000.

#38 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -
@darji said:

@snail: I live in Germany and while it is true that I can not say the exact situation there history has proven a lot of times that people in financial and economical crisis often related on media and technical entertainment to relax. For example in Germany before and during the second world war money and financial issues were a huge issue but none or less cinemas and other forms of entertainment to forget all this have boomed at that time.

Of course this will not influence everyone and people surely will now wait longer to get such a expensive piece of hardware and Sony most likely did not ship 250K consoles there for sure but I am pretty sure that this thing is still mostly sold out in Portugal for example. And to be honest in the long run a console is way more productive than going to the cinema for example. You pay a lot for something you will use for years to come so it is definitely worth it in the long run.

Not when the media costs 400€ with no games in it. You're thinking of cinema in the Great Depression. They're two very different things.

Without full certainty, I wouldn't be too surprised if, right now, you had no issues finding a PS4 in the southern countries: namely Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain. By surveying websites, Italy seemed to be the only one that presented a challenge. This is far from "sold out 'till March".

As for your suggestion in your last two sentences, I don't agree with it, and I don't think you'd have a lot of luck convincing people.

I only took issue with the generalization of European markets. They can be quite disparaging in economic stability, and the consequent consumer habits.

#39 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji: Just curious since I've heard that to this day Eastern and Western Germans don't mix that great. Since your family comes from the wealthier part of Germany I assume you probably have a different outlook on things as opposed to the much impoverished Eastern side.

The situation in East Germany was totally different. Yes they had less money, but the problem was there was nothing there to buy due to their system.The media and entertainment that existed there was mostly self made and also really popular. And even western products like rock music etc. which were "smuggled" in there were really popular and people bought them for a lot of their money.

Also I never came from a rich family myself. I was totally under mid class in my opinion. I had to save a lot for my consoles or the stuff I wanted and I still have to do that. But each person has different priorities and since I do not smoke or drink alcohol for example I have a bit more money to spare and to save. Not right now though since I had to spend my the money I saved for a dishwasher and Washing machine so I sadly had to cancel my pre-order for now and could not get a PS4 at launch. So yes Money is always an issue for me as well but I set up my priorities of what I want and what I don't need^^

#40 Edited by rethla (425 posts) -

Its not like PS4 would be all sold out in Germany and avalible to christmas in spain thats crazy talk no matter what kind of "depression" you think is going on. Firstly Sony is directing more PS4s to the bigger markets and secondly if that was the case Germans (and rest of europe and probably world to) would import from spain. I know for an example Xbone was very popular to import from Spain, irland etc. but seems to be sold out now aswell in all of europe.

#41 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

consoles are dead

I do find this news funny when compared to all the earlier hand-wringing about "Are we excited? Do we want another console?" that was happening on, what felt like, every game website before these systems launched.

#42 Edited by Teoball (575 posts) -

No PS4's in Norway either. The largest eletronics store here got 900 machines and a 100 different stores all over the country. My closest one got 30.

I've been told the Killzone bundle will arrive in the middle of december, but most of those have already been pre-ordered.

#43 Posted by spraynardtatum (2608 posts) -

That's a lot of broken battlefield 4 that people probably thought they could play.

In all seriousness, that's a ton of console.....if only bf4 was ready.

#44 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

Fantastic, great job everyone!

*shakes hands with 2.1 million PS4 owners and the manufacturers who made them*

#45 Edited by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

Only 2.1 Mil? You realize that's the most any console has ever sold right?...

#46 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@snail said:

@nictel said:

@grillbar said:

i find the fact that they only sold 2.1mil worldwide kinda weird

i might et my facts wrong but as i heard the ps4 sold over 1mil in america on day one. seeing that black Friday was just around the corner

so even if no other consoles were sold in america that means it "only" sold 1mil in Europe over the course of 3 days

and seeing that Europe is or at least were more sony focused i find the number low

now i diddent start reading anything else since i really dont care

You know when you get a PS4 if you order it now in Europe? 2014. I expect you can go to the store and pick a PS4 up without problems not until around March.

Stop talking about Europe like it's a country. That may be the case in the UK and Germany, but that's probably not the case in Portugal or Greece, for instance.

'probably'. [politics]Still I hope so cause it would mean the Northern Europeans payed for the South to play on their Playstations. Portugal and Greece should be working not playing videogames. [/politics]

In proper Europe: UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Scandinavia it is sold out.

#47 Posted by BRich (431 posts) -

Both consoles are sold out everywhere. The "sold through" numbers are equivalent to the "consoles produced" numbers, which makes them pretty irrelevant at least until early 2014.

But awesome that demand for both of these consoles is so high!

#48 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5239 posts) -

Cool Cool Cool

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.