Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 - Something slightly moving inside - Advice needed

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maxap

Guys, I would like to hear your opinion.

While taking a new PS4 out of the box, it can be noticed that something is gently moving inside if you tilt the console. The sound is probably coming from the blu-ray drive and sounds like a sliding mechanism. The similar thing can also be observed with the PS3.

Is this normal and do you have it? Or is your PS4 completely silent when you get it in your hands and tilt from one side to another (without using force)?

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very funny. Is there anybody who can tell me what his/her experience is?

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maxap

If you tilt your PS4 (when you place it somewhere else or unpack/repack it), do you hear this sound? I doubt it is a fan. The sound is coming from the area where the blu-ray drive is. I thought those are two sliding rolls which form part of the disc sliding mechanism. I am a bit worried...

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked my PS4 up and gave it a good hearty tilt and just remembered my copy of One Piece Pirate Warriors was in there, and so help me it better not have been damaged in the process.

But no, I did not hear any weird jingles or jangles inside my PS4, not even what would sound like a fan or the lens moving. I would say just use it and if something stops working, send it in. Unless you rip the thing open, the warranty should cover you.

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By maxap

@atomicoldman:

Thanks a lot for trying! I really appreciate it. :) Your disc/console didn't get damaged.

I think that this sound can be heard when there is no disc inside. Some people on another forum confirmed that they have the same sound, which probably comes from the sliding mechanism of the blu-ray drive.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 and PS3 don't make any noise when tilting. If there is a disc inside it, there is a slight *click* but no rolling? As long as it works it should be fine. If anything contact Sony via chat or email, they have been pretty good at support with the PS4 unlike previous systems.

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maxap

@cbyrne:

I have just contacted Playstation Support (over the phone) and they have no idea what they are talking about. "There can be different reasons for this sound: the cables inside the console, the moving lens..." Right... I don't believe any of this.

Strange that you have no noise at all when tilting your consoles. Maybe there is too much background noise around you. It would be great to know that other consoles don't have this issue before I send mine back.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxap: I'll double check when I get home. I know the 360 had a tilt switch that was actually a little tiny ball in a cage type thing that made a bunch of noise.

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By maxap

@cbyrne:

Thanks a lot! I will be awaiting your reply.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You sound like my uncle...

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maxap

@crazybagman:

Your uncle must be a great man and you are probably very proud of him. :)

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazybagman: Wait until you talk to him for the holidays and he asks "have you ever heard of that Giant Bomb?"

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maxap

Strange, there are people on other forums claiming their 12xx PS4s make the same rattling sound when you tilt the system. Probably, it is completely normal.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it work? Is it brand new or used? If it's really worrisome i would take it back to the store and get an exchange, if it's a gift hopefully you have a gift reciept or can talk to the people who got it for you. Personally if it works i wouldn't worry to much about it, but you could also check and make sure the HDD is secure.

maxap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maxap

I had a chance to talk to two other PS4 users who experience exactly the same. Today, I have opened a new PS4 and guess what: it makes exactly the same sound.

So, those who are worried, don't be. It isn't a "defect", it's a "feature" given that Sony knows what they are doing, especially considering the fact that it is the newest version of the console that is being sold 2 years after the release of the original.

Happy holidays and a Merry Christmas, everyone! :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop tilting your PS4.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to make a post about gremlins in your Playstation but my PC just started making some weird sounds just now. I guess I'll take that as my queue to be more courteous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.