PS4 supposedly releasing November 17th with base model $429

• 62 results
#1 Edited by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

According to Lens of Truth, they say that they have a source stating that the North American release date is slated for November 17th, 2013 with a base model of $429 and a premium model of $529.

I don't particularly trust Lens of Truth in their comparisons because they usually sound biased, and I just overall prefer Digital Foundry, but this bit of information sounds pretty reasonable seeing as how the PS3 was released pretty much exactly in that time frame seven years earlier. What do you guys think? Reasonable? Unlikely?

#2 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Can't remember what specific outlet it was, it was a Japanese one mentioned on 8-4 Play, that said the PS4 would be priced at 40,000 yen, which is close to $429.

That would be a reasonable price I think, in the 400 dollar range. Of course, it's not confirmed at all so I'm not holding my breath for it to be priced at that.

#3 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

That wouldn't be too bad but I would still wait for one hell of a price drop!

#4 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

That sounds about right.

#5 Posted by Strife777 (1519 posts) -

I think 399 and 499 would be preferable, but they know best. Maybe that 30$ difference is important for their margin.

#6 Edited by Aegon (5484 posts) -

I think that's the same day the PS3 was launched.

Edit: Oh, you...kind of mentioned that.

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3868 posts) -

That's the second time these prices are rumoured. They either have the same source or there's some truth in there. Actually it's not hard to imagine it being price around that. If the base model has just a smaller hard drive and is no smaller than the current base model for the PS3 i'll go with that as long as they maintain the possibility to put whatever hard drive you want in there later.

#8 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

It sounds accurate and also slightly less than I predicted. Let's hope it's true.

#9 Posted by John1912 (1857 posts) -

Sun doesnt sound right. Id think the prior Friday, or following Wednesday.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

four hundred and twenty nine U.S. Dollars doesn't have the same ring to it unfortunately...

#11 Edited by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

@animasta said:

four hundred and twenty nine U.S. Dollars doesn't have the same ring to it unfortunately...

Actually the $29 part is pretty common in things like cell phone prices. I wouldn't be completely surprised if this ended up accurate.

#12 Edited by Morrow (1829 posts) -

That's cheaper than I imagined. But I'll resist the urge to get one and wait for a price drop. Plenty of unfinished business on my PS3 anyway!

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Depends what they launch with compared to what Xbox launches with.

#14 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Man I hope the next Xbox announces a cheaper price and forces Sony to drop those extra thirty dollars. It makes a big difference especially with California tax being at 9%.

#15 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

This sounds about right, as long as they don't exceed $500 I think it's reasonable.

#16 Edited by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

I wonder what will be included in the premium SKU.

#17 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Guess I'm waiting on a PS3 then! Can't justify affording that on top of whatever small selection of games they have this year.

Call me back when you have a cheap plastic, top-loading, slim version of the PS4 Sony.

#18 Posted by troll93 (385 posts) -

Suck it all of you American cry babies, over here in Aus, EB is estimating $899. We win at expensive shit.

#19 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Sounds good to me.

#20 Posted by Nightriff (4986 posts) -

Whatever happened to September launches? I want my new console now

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

This $429 price is probably converted from the value of the Yen. They will round down to $399 and $499. The initial prices are almost always just straight up yen conversions. They almost always round the prices before dropping in America.

#22 Posted by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

I'm guessing just HDD differences.

#23 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Is that price an indicator of the PC parts inside the machine being not-so-top-of-the-line after all? Meaning the high end PCs of November 17th will be remarkably more powerful than the PS4 on its release day?

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (8134 posts) -

Is that price an indicator of the PC parts inside the machine being not-so-top-of-the-line after all? Meaning the high end PCs of November 17th will be remarkably more powerful than the PS4 on its release day?

It was never meant to be top-of-the-line. Top-of-the-line PC's can easily cost $2,500 or more. But it should be significantly more powerful than any PC you could build for a comparable price.

#25 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

530 that seems a good price for me I thought it would be at least 600 for the base model but 530 means I will be able to buy it on launch.

#26 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@philantrophy said:

Do you think the premium SKU might include the Move camera and a controller, or do you think that will be a separate bundle?

#27 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Considering that I paid more for my current graphics card, that seems entirely within reason.

#28 Posted by Cameron (596 posts) -

If this is true it could be good as long as the $430 one isn't much worse than the $530 one. The core 360 (at launch) and the white Wiiu were both terrible, so I have a feeling the $530 one will be the only good one.

#29 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@azteck: Same here. That puts things in perspective.

I'll get the PS4 but that's probably all the console I'm getting this generation, judging by what's rumored about the new Xbox.

#30 Edited by Excast (905 posts) -

That price seems very reasonable for the horsepower Sony is claiming to offer.

#31 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

I'm dubious about the validity to these price leaks. The console is nine months out and they most likely haven't even finalized the specs and begun manufacturing which is when Sony will get an accurate sense of the final price based on the amount of unit they actually want to produce.

There may be a price point they want to hit, but it only works in their favor if they leak low ball / misinformation to keep Microsoft guessing. Last week nobody was even sure the name of the console or if one was actually going to be announced which signals to me that Sony is keeping things tight lipped and leaks will only happened on a controlled basis. An article like this from a site that doesn't quote a source is just fishing for links.

#32 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Even if the leaks aren't true, there are a few things to consider that will determine the final price:

• GDDR5 8GB Memory- Expensive
  • Bundled controller with a touch screen built into it- expensive
  • PS4 Eye packed in with every system- expensive

It's definitely going to be over $400. The question is how much higher will they be going with it.

#33 Posted by PhilipDuck (542 posts) -

So that's going to be around £300 for the UK. I would be alot happier with that sort of price then paying £425 like i did for a Ps3 :| Had a great time with no games for months lol

#34 Edited by Milkman (16637 posts) -

Sounds about right. But I'll wait until it's confirmed from somewhere else besides some random website I've never heard of.

#35 Posted by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@philantrophy said:

Do you think the premium SKU might include the Move camera and a controller, or do you think that will be a separate bundle?

I didn't think of that. That seems reasonable. If I were Sony though, I would put that camera into every bundle to make sure everyone had it.

#36 Posted by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

@Agnogenic said:

@liquidprince said:

@philantrophy said:

I didn't think of that. That seems reasonable. If I were Sony though, I would put that camera into every bundle to make sure everyone had it.

I agree with that; if the strategy behind motion controls is to bring in kids and casuals, adding $100 to the price is counter-intuitive.

#37 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

One Sku $299!

#38 Posted by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

Sony might be willing to subsidize it a bit more and get to $399.

There is no way they would release at anywhere close to the original PS3 price.

Also a lot of the parts are practically off the shelf PC parts.

There is no touch screen in the controller, it's just a touch pad, which are dirt cheap and extremely common in many devices, like laptops.

$400 seems right, $350 would be a dream if they're willing to subsidize more.

Who has the first show at E3? They'll be the one who determines pricing more than the parts. Neither wants to reveal early, and both will adjust the price as best they can according to how the other one prices.

For as much as the GDDR5 will cost, the new Kinect will add on just as much to the price of the One, so the two consoles are going to be pretty much on par.

#39 Posted by probablytuna (3610 posts) -

Well if it's true then it's probably gonna be $899 here in Australia.

#40 Posted by Brendan (7752 posts) -

Man I hope the next Xbox announces a cheaper price and forces Sony to drop those extra thirty dollars. It makes a big difference especially with California tax being at 9%.

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

#41 Posted by Ezakael (931 posts) -

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Looks like I have to start saving now if I'm going to be able to afford the PS4 (if this is true)

#42 Edited by Icemo (642 posts) -

That could be the base model price if we are lucky. I'm a bit sceptical about the $399 price considering the parts it has, that would be the absolutely cheapest price sony could go for. But we'll see.

#43 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

The 17th if a Sunday. Not sure if that will be the exact launch date, but I bet it's pretty damn close to that date.

#44 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

Not really sure if a home console has even been worth that type of money, especially at launch.

#45 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Looks like I have to start saving now if I'm going to be able to afford the PS4 (if this is true)

Don't you guys take advantage of the BB or FS E3 deals? Basically it's around $40 per game if you preorder 3.

Also guys, BOM for the system is estimated to be less than $300(Beyond3D). Sony will probably get it cheaper through volume purchasing.

#46 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1406 posts) -

Consoles always cost more in japan then they do here so if its 429 there it will most likely be less here

#47 Edited by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Don't you guys take advantage of the BB or FS E3 deals? Basically it's around $40 per game if you preorder 3.

Also guys, BOM for the system is estimated to be less than $300(Beyond3D). Sony will probably get it cheaper through volume purchasing.

Do they still do those deals? BB has been stingy lately, they used to give you $5 off any pre-order online but they stopped that. Also yeah fucking Ontario tax sucks. Main reason I purchase a lot of games off PSN, no tax. Eshop, XBL abd Steam all tax you but not PSN.

#48 Posted by Patman99 (1574 posts) -

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Canada represent! BC just got rid of HST but we still have 7% PST and 5% GST. I would guess that we would probably pay both for a vidja game console. I find it suspicious that BC has a lower tax rate than Ontario... We are supposed to be the expensive province not you damn Easternors.

Regardless, I am pretty sure the UK pays like 20% sales tax on most non-essential stuff (Thanks, socialized pharmaceuticals). I guess we have something to be thankful for...

#49 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Sounds about right - I can imagine Sony would stay as far away as they can from $599.

#50 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@msavo said:

@bitcloud said:

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Do they still do those deals? BB has been stingy lately, they used to give you $5 off any pre-order online but they stopped that. Also yeah fucking Ontario tax sucks. Main reason I purchase a lot of games off PSN, no tax. Eshop, XBL abd Steam all tax you but not PSN.

Right now they have a few games that are on preorder with 800 Reward Zone points which is $10. If you preorder 3 select games you will get 4800=$60, the select games usually comes to all of them coming out after E3. If you are using a Reward Zone Visa, you get an additional 2 points for every dollar you spend at BB on top of the 4800. Also the certificates expire in 12 months instead of quarterly. Needless to say, if you buy from BB with their Visa the payoff is better.

Futureshop usually does $15 off each game for every 3 games so that's $45 before tax.

Hopefully the Digital Day 1 program for PS4 takes like 10% off every game and 20% for PS+ on new games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.