Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 supposedly releasing November 17th with base model $429

• 59 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

According to Lens of Truth, they say that they have a source stating that the North American release date is slated for November 17th, 2013 with a base model of $429 and a premium model of $529.

I don't particularly trust Lens of Truth in their comparisons because they usually sound biased, and I just overall prefer Digital Foundry, but this bit of information sounds pretty reasonable seeing as how the PS3 was released pretty much exactly in that time frame seven years earlier. What do you guys think? Reasonable? Unlikely?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Can't remember what specific outlet it was, it was a Japanese one mentioned on 8-4 Play, that said the PS4 would be priced at 40,000 yen, which is close to $429.

That would be a reasonable price I think, in the 400 dollar range. Of course, it's not confirmed at all so I'm not holding my breath for it to be priced at that.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That wouldn't be too bad but I would still wait for one hell of a price drop!

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That sounds about right.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think 399 and 499 would be preferable, but they know best. Maybe that 30$ difference is important for their margin.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aegon

I think that's the same day the PS3 was launched.

Edit: Oh, you...kind of mentioned that.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pr1mus

That's the second time these prices are rumoured. They either have the same source or there's some truth in there. Actually it's not hard to imagine it being price around that. If the base model has just a smaller hard drive and is no smaller than the current base model for the PS3 i'll go with that as long as they maintain the possibility to put whatever hard drive you want in there later.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds accurate and also slightly less than I predicted. Let's hope it's true.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sun doesnt sound right. Id think the prior Friday, or following Wednesday.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

four hundred and twenty nine U.S. Dollars doesn't have the same ring to it unfortunately...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

@animasta said:

four hundred and twenty nine U.S. Dollars doesn't have the same ring to it unfortunately...

Actually the $29 part is pretty common in things like cell phone prices. I wouldn't be completely surprised if this ended up accurate.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Morrow

That's cheaper than I imagined. But I'll resist the urge to get one and wait for a price drop. Plenty of unfinished business on my PS3 anyway!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends what they launch with compared to what Xbox launches with.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Man I hope the next Xbox announces a cheaper price and forces Sony to drop those extra thirty dollars. It makes a big difference especially with California tax being at 9%.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds about right, as long as they don't exceed $500 I think it's reasonable.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Philantrophy

I wonder what will be included in the premium SKU.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'm waiting on a PS3 then! Can't justify affording that on top of whatever small selection of games they have this year.

Call me back when you have a cheap plastic, top-loading, slim version of the PS4 Sony.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good to me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Whatever happened to September launches? I want my new console now

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This $429 price is probably converted from the value of the Yen. They will round down to $399 and $499. The initial prices are almost always just straight up yen conversions. They almost always round the prices before dropping in America.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing just HDD differences.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OfficeGamer

Is that price an indicator of the PC parts inside the machine being not-so-top-of-the-line after all? Meaning the high end PCs of November 17th will be remarkably more powerful than the PS4 on its release day?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Is that price an indicator of the PC parts inside the machine being not-so-top-of-the-line after all? Meaning the high end PCs of November 17th will be remarkably more powerful than the PS4 on its release day?

It was never meant to be top-of-the-line. Top-of-the-line PC's can easily cost $2,500 or more. But it should be significantly more powerful than any PC you could build for a comparable price.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

530 that seems a good price for me I thought it would be at least 600 for the base model but 530 means I will be able to buy it on launch.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@philantrophy said:

Do you think the premium SKU might include the Move camera and a controller, or do you think that will be a separate bundle?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that I paid more for my current graphics card, that seems entirely within reason.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is true it could be good as long as the $430 one isn't much worse than the $530 one. The core 360 (at launch) and the white Wiiu were both terrible, so I have a feeling the $530 one will be the only good one.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck: Same here. That puts things in perspective.

I'll get the PS4 but that's probably all the console I'm getting this generation, judging by what's rumored about the new Xbox.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By excast

That price seems very reasonable for the horsepower Sony is claiming to offer.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm dubious about the validity to these price leaks. The console is nine months out and they most likely haven't even finalized the specs and begun manufacturing which is when Sony will get an accurate sense of the final price based on the amount of unit they actually want to produce.

There may be a price point they want to hit, but it only works in their favor if they leak low ball / misinformation to keep Microsoft guessing. Last week nobody was even sure the name of the console or if one was actually going to be announced which signals to me that Sony is keeping things tight lipped and leaks will only happened on a controlled basis. An article like this from a site that doesn't quote a source is just fishing for links.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the leaks aren't true, there are a few things to consider that will determine the final price:

• GDDR5 8GB Memory- Expensive
    • Bundled controller with a touch screen built into it- expensive
    • PS4 Eye packed in with every system- expensive

It's definitely going to be over $400. The question is how much higher will they be going with it.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that's going to be around £300 for the UK. I would be alot happier with that sort of price then paying £425 like i did for a Ps3 :| Had a great time with no games for months lol

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Milkman

Sounds about right. But I'll wait until it's confirmed from somewhere else besides some random website I've never heard of.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince said:

@philantrophy said:

Do you think the premium SKU might include the Move camera and a controller, or do you think that will be a separate bundle?

I didn't think of that. That seems reasonable. If I were Sony though, I would put that camera into every bundle to make sure everyone had it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Agnogenic said:

@liquidprince said:

@philantrophy said:

I didn't think of that. That seems reasonable. If I were Sony though, I would put that camera into every bundle to make sure everyone had it.

I agree with that; if the strategy behind motion controls is to bring in kids and casuals, adding $100 to the price is counter-intuitive.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Sku $299!

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony might be willing to subsidize it a bit more and get to $399.

There is no way they would release at anywhere close to the original PS3 price.

Also a lot of the parts are practically off the shelf PC parts.

There is no touch screen in the controller, it's just a touch pad, which are dirt cheap and extremely common in many devices, like laptops.

$400 seems right, $350 would be a dream if they're willing to subsidize more.

Who has the first show at E3? They'll be the one who determines pricing more than the parts. Neither wants to reveal early, and both will adjust the price as best they can according to how the other one prices.

For as much as the GDDR5 will cost, the new Kinect will add on just as much to the price of the One, so the two consoles are going to be pretty much on par.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if it's true then it's probably gonna be $899 here in Australia.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man I hope the next Xbox announces a cheaper price and forces Sony to drop those extra thirty dollars. It makes a big difference especially with California tax being at 9%.

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Looks like I have to start saving now if I'm going to be able to afford the PS4 (if this is true)

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Icemo

That could be the base model price if we are lucky. I'm a bit sceptical about the $399 price considering the parts it has, that would be the absolutely cheapest price sony could go for. But we'll see.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The 17th if a Sunday. Not sure if that will be the exact launch date, but I bet it's pretty damn close to that date.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Not really sure if a home console has even been worth that type of money, especially at launch.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consoles always cost more in japan then they do here so if its 429 there it will most likely be less here

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RE_Player1

@bitcloud said:

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Looks like I have to start saving now if I'm going to be able to afford the PS4 (if this is true)

Don't you guys take advantage of the BB or FS E3 deals? Basically it's around $40 per game if you preorder 3.

Also guys, BOM for the system is estimated to be less than $300(Beyond3D). Sony will probably get it cheaper through volume purchasing.

Do they still do those deals? BB has been stingy lately, they used to give you $5 off any pre-order online but they stopped that. Also yeah fucking Ontario tax sucks. Main reason I purchase a lot of games off PSN, no tax. Eshop, XBL abd Steam all tax you but not PSN.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael said:

@brendan said:

@darthorange said:

Ontario HST 13% says hi.

Ontario represent!

Canada represent! BC just got rid of HST but we still have 7% PST and 5% GST. I would guess that we would probably pay both for a vidja game console. I find it suspicious that BC has a lower tax rate than Ontario... We are supposed to be the expensive province not you damn Easternors.

Regardless, I am pretty sure the UK pays like 20% sales tax on most non-essential stuff (Thanks, socialized pharmaceuticals). I guess we have something to be thankful for...

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By zero_

Sounds about right - I can imagine Sony would stay as far away as they can from $599.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.