Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 this year! ok but it's really worth?

• 67 results
    Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alastir

PS4 launch this year is a great news, I'm among those who believe that the current generation has gone on long enough. But on the other hand also think they have done a poor release schedule. Many resources have been put to ps3, and extended his generation, now the lineup of ps4 is pretty average in my opinion.

And you will think, "hey just because you do not like the launch games does not make it poor," hey, come on ... I do not know anyone around me who wants to buy PS4 for Killzone or Knak (even if I love these games from the golden era of PSX). I know they have said that in 2014 there will be 20 games and 12 of them are brand new IP's, but those titles are confirmed for PS4? And even they have 20 games in 2014, Where are they announced? Seriously, 20 games in 2014 and are not announced yet? You can expect it to see PS4 in five months and they still have not announced more than 2-4 games for ps4, and those games are not killer apps.

If we look at xbone, microsoft has announced a few more launch titles, and last but not least, it has left some more for the future. They really have a great launch line up and future games announced. While playstation users only have the "security" that Sony has magnificent first partys (which is true) and we can also expect big games. But for now only that, "we expect", nothing more. There are no facts.

I know there is still the gamescom and TGS ahead, but I have no great expectations. Now throw the question, Are you happy with ps4 line up? You think that will be enough to sell well? I think in Japan has a average games launch to start, in Europe (where I come from and sorry for my poor English) I do not think they have a good line up but it is not bad at all, and I think that USA can not compete with the line up of xbone.

Every day that passes I'm thinking to cancel my preorder and wait 6 to 8 months to get a PS4.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Launch games are usually not that great.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By artelinarose

Buying a console early on is always about purchasing potential. You don't buy a Playstation 4 on launch day JUST because you want Knack or Killzone. Canceling a preorder and waiting 6-8 months until the console has games is silly thinking because if you want it early on and you buy it early on, you'll have it that 6-8 months later. If you planned on buying a Playstation 4 and all the games that come out within 8 months, it doesn't matter if you buy it launch day and the games as they come out or all at once half a year later; it's still going to run you the same amount of money.

"But Lina, video games drop in price, so wouldn't it be like $40 less expensive if you wait?"

oh shut up

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

After the whole red ring of death situation and Sonys many hardware/software fuck-ups, I'm surprised that anyone preorders a brand new console. It seems like the PS3 is the place to be for the next 6 months anyway.

Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alastir

@artemesia said:

Buying a console early on is always about purchasing potential. You don't buy a Playstation 4 on launch day JUST because you want Knack or Killzone. Canceling a preorder and waiting 6-8 months until the console has games is silly thinking because if you want it early on and you buy it early on, you'll have it that 6-8 months later. If you planned on buying a Playstation 4 and all the games that come out within 8 months, it doesn't matter if you buy it launch day and the games as they come out or all at once half a year later; it's still going to run you the same amount of money.

"But Lina, video games drop in price, so wouldn't it be like $40 less expensive if you wait?"

oh shut up

But that's the problem, I mean, yes, we know that Sony has potential with his first partys, but they has not announced any games to prove it either right now. Sony needs to reveal his future plan with PS4, right now Sony just talks about PS4 filosophy, and i'm ok with that because it sounds promising, but c'mon, where are the brand new games? How can u really drop 20 games for ps4 in 2014 without announce? What they are waiting for?

Anyone remember Mark Cerny talking about the most awesome and big line up for a playstation launch? So where is exactly this line up? :S. Anyway, I buy one at launch for what you say, but I'm worry cause they have not yet revealed much about ps4 games right now.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By artelinarose

@alastir said:

@artemesia said:

oh shut up

But that's the problem, I mean, yes, we know that Sony has potential with his first partys, but they has not announced any games to prove it either right now. Sony needs to reveal his future plan with PS4, right now Sony just talks about PS4 filosophy, and i'm ok with that because it sounds promising, but c'mon, where the brand new games? How can u really drop 20 games for ps4 in 2014 without announce? What they are waiting?

Anyone remember Mark Cerny talking about the most awesome and big line up for a playstation launch? So where is exactly this line up? :S. Anyway, I buy one at launch for what you say, but I'm worry cause they have not yet revealed much about ps4 games right now.

Take third party games into account as well. PS4 will be launching with Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Watch_Dogs, Diablo 3, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4, Drive Club, Skylanders, Warframe... more that I can't remember off the top of my head that I am not going to google because you caught me right on my way to bed.

Point is, the things that Sony is doing internally are not the only video games available for the system. I mean, if you don't care about any of the games coming for it for half a year or more, by all means, avoid it. Save your money. Wait until there's something that interests YOU. Don't just jump on this bandwagon cause you want to be a part of it if you're not interested in what's there.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's what stopped me pre-ordering one in the end. No point buying it until there's something I wanna play on it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/RadicalStar/Miles%20Edgeworth/bth_edgeworth-shrug.gif

It'll be worth it to some people. Just depends on differing priorities and expectations.

To me, buying either console at launch is going to be a mixed bag, as launches rarely have great titles. So, you're investing for the potential to get better games later. Personally, I'm not a fan of that, and I am not going to buy them at launch. Yet, if everyone was like that, none of these consoles would sell, and that would mean no one would get the consoles. So, your getting in early is a kind of investment in the platform, supporting its eventual blossom into something more worthwhile. That's a necessary role that some gamers play, and while that isn't me, I can understand why people would buy early. And I'm glad that so many do.

Buy it whenever you personally feel it is worth it.

Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah third party games are fine, most of them are killers apps on market. But I just talking about first party here, where they are not going so well compared to exclusive games for xbone, plus the same third party games. Even if titanfall its a temporary exclusive, they have 14-15 exclusive games as a MS being the publisher right now, itis nice. I dont know the future of xbone, but it has really good early start up. Sony needs to improve and say to his fans; Hey, look at all this future awesome games just for PS4 only. Even if that games are stated for fall 2014.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli

I will certainly keep my preorder. The PS4 will play all games coming out better than any hardware I currently own, my PC included. Battlefield 4 being a launch title, it's a no-brainer for me. Especially since I've missed the much more even playing ground that is online console gaming. It's a god send for competitive online games. Also - there aren't any cheaters on Battlefield on consoles. Closed platform & dedicated servers = 99.9999999999% certainty of being hacks/cheater free. Lovin' it!

So first and foremost, I look at my PS4 purchase as this year's gaming upgrade. Rather than upgrading my current PC, or building an all new one - I'm getting the equivalent of a 1500$ PC for 399$, which is a conservative estimate - since all the games coming out on these new boxes will be quite unprecedented in terms of produciton values - many of 'em built with the new hardware standards in mind, and no longer built to be in-line with the outdated DX9 fundament of current console hardware, like pretty much all games were prior to the upcoming release of this new generation of consoles. The effective value of these new generation boxes is likely more akin to building an ultimate gaming PC with components like Nvidia's Titan GFX card, which would make for a 2500$ PC - because the effective progress happens on the software engineering side of things. That's who is getting unshackled, and so the slight upgrade from current gen PC to new gen console will feel akin to me building an all new 2500$ PC. These new generation games will look like nothing we've played yet, regardless of how great our PC hardware is.

At 399$ the PS4 seems like a killer deal to me. All the major releases are built to scale up. Just look at pretty much all the big games of the last couple of years. Pretty much none of 'em ran all too well on current console hardware. All of them were built for much more powerful hardware, and had to be squeezed onto current gen systems - and developers managed that just barely. Now finally can we play console games again that aren't pressed for ressources and run like shit, or have been scaled down to the point of being different games (like Battlefield 3 for consoles was, in comparison to the PC version).

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

@alastir said:

Yeah third party games are fine, most of them are killers apps on market. But I just talking about first party here, where they are not going so well compared to exclusive games for xbone, plus the same third party games. Even if titanfall its a temporary exclusive, they have 14-15 exclusive games as a MS being the publisher right now, itis nice. I dont know the future of xbone, but it has really good early start up. Sony needs to improve and say to his fans; Hey, look at all this future awesome games just for PS4 only. Even if that games are stated for fall 2014.

Doesn't Sony have substantially more first party exclusives in production than Microsoft? Last I heard, Sony Worldwide Studios has 30 titles in production, 18 of which are supposed to be new franchises? Regardless of the veracity of their claims, there certainly isn't a grand disparity in first party exclusives in favor of Microsoft Studios - launch line-up or otherwise.

Sony is pushing much more aggressively into the Free-2-Play space too, and having a solid line-up of internal efforts, such as Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online - I fully expect Sony to pull ahead launch line-up-wise in comparison to Microsoft.

What does Microsoft really have at launch? Forza 5? And then what?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

Without crazy people like us investing for the future at launch even though we know we have to wait for titles that really really make it worth it, console launches are doomed.

(more launch titles are to be presented for both upcoming consoles, late August, late September)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

The Witness, NBA 2K14, Watch Dogs, and BF4 (or Killzone if it impresses me before launch) are reasons enough for me to keep my pre order. I've never gotten a console at launch so it is a new experience for me and I am looking forward to it. Now I just hope it doesn't launch on Sunday because then I have to try and find one on launch day and then sell my Amazon one, ugh.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Look at it this way . The PS4 probably won't drop in price in the first 2 years , so might as well get it asap .

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mandude
    @alastir said:
    And even [if Sony] have 20 games in 2014, Where are they announced? Seriously, 20 games in 2014 and are not announced yet?

microsoft has announced a few more launch titles, and last but not least, it has left some more for the future.

What's with the disparity here?

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alastir: The fact that you're calling Xbone should be enough for you to get the PS4. I pre-ordered mine day one and can't wait to play Battlefield 4 (No need to upgrade my PC for another few years thanks to 64-player yay!). Exclusives will come, if you like Sony (and like @artemesia said) and have the money then why not?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Diablo III. Apparently with an offline mode so I can actually play it now!! The PS3 supported mouse and keyboard over USB & bluetooth so here is hoping the PS4 will do the same.. I know it's a dumb thing to get excited for but I'm excited.

The still have 5 months to try and sell you on the box. I imagine they need something in reserve to keep the hype rolling out up until launch.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be busy with just about all of the games at launch. They seem to promise long enough stories to keep me going. The online parts of Battlefield and CoD will keep me having fun anyways until more games come out just like this generation does for me.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Buying either a PS4 or Xbox One on launch is for early adopters who don't necessarily care about the launch titles. That's why MS thinks it can take advantage of the hardcore with the $500 price.

System launches always have crappy games mixed in with a few mediocre ones. The best launch game in history was Mario 64 and look what else that came with. Honestly outside of the N64 I can't think of a single launch game that sold me on a system.

I preordered a PS4 but no games. I'll wait to see if Watch Dogs is any good before I buy. There's a good chance there will be a system shortage into 2014 with the number of preorders they are taking and the rumors of yield problems for MS. It won't be tough to find the game you want, but getting a system when you want it maybe a different proposition. I won't be devastated if I buy no games with the system, since I'm still polishing off my PS3 backlog. Getting a launch system is more about future releases than current games.

If anything I would argue this will probably be one of the strongest launch line ups in gaming history. Both because the 1080p graphics upgrades and additional social functionality the systems integrate with the games. I can live with prettier games with a few gameplay improvements for a few months.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

After the whole red ring of death situation and Sonys many hardware/software fuck-ups, I'm surprised that anyone preorders a brand new console.

^This, definitely this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunkulese

Both consoles look they they'll have a better launch lineup than any console I can remember. It's not they they haven't announced anything else. There are games like Infamous, The Order and Deep Down coming out.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I know I'm going to get a PS4 if I get any next-gen console at all. Before I make the purchase though, I'm gonna wait about half a year to see what happens. If the console ships and there are hardware problems or the games are nowhere near as good as I thought they'd be, I don't wanna spend 400 dollars on a box and then regret it.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look at it like this. Will I eventually get the console. My answer is Yes. Then if I already have the money I will get it as early as I can so I can enjoy it longer. If I waited 6 months then I would still not save money on something I could have been playing already for 6 months.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting it Day One, there's a lot to be said for launch window hype and excitement, being one of the first people to see the interface and how things work. I would argue that there are several launch day games to be excited about , Killzone: SF looks phenomenal, Knack will be great for what it is, Drive Club looks great (and it'll only look better, Evolution knows how to bring it) and games like Watch Dogs from 3rd parties will offer more functionality on next gen platforms than they do on current gen with the tablet integration and things like that.

Early next year we'll get Infamous Second Son and Sony has a bunch of announcements to make at GamesCom and TGS. I don't think there's any reason to not get one at launch if you have the option, it's not going to be a system that goes unused because of a lack of titles, even if a lot of those titles at cross-gen games that will just look and run better on the PS4 than PS3.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck the games, I just want to hear that sweet new start up sequence.
    400$ well spent.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Drive Club looks great (and it'll only look better, Evolution knows how to bring it)...

The best thing about Drive Club? It's going to be free of charge with PS+, which means pretty much everybody will have it. Given how I enjoy autolog-like leaderboard chases and such the most about driving games (even if I prefer Criterion-style arcade racers really), those should be instantly populated, and offer loads of longterm challenge. Hopefully it'll be good enough to warrant such attention.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PhilESkyline

I normally don't buy anything launch other than games. Consoles (hardware) I wait to see what the failure rate is, reviewer feedback and wait for better discounts. I'll do the same with PS4. I'll get an Xbox One a year or two later. I can put that $500 toward a gaming PC.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@mandude said:
    @alastir said:
    And even [if Sony] have 20 games in 2014, Where are they announced? Seriously, 20 games in 2014 and are not announced yet?

microsoft has announced a few more launch titles, and last but not least, it has left some more for the future.

Always wary of people who sign up for an account specifically to come into a console forum and try and poison the water somehow.

Dude signed up today, has 3 posts, all in this thread, all trying to downplay the momentum Sony has right now. He's the Microsoft equivalent of "I made $3500 working from home, click here to find out how!"

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only launch title I'm interested in for either system is Watch Dogs. I've got a PS4 pre-ordered because it is the more powerful console and $100 dollars cheaper.

It seems like obvious bias to me that you would paint the unannounced exclusives for the PS4 in a negative light without even knowing what they are, yet talk about the unannounced XB1 exclusives in a positive light without knowing what they are either.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Without crazy people like us investing for the future at launch even though we know we have to wait for titles that really really make it worth it, console launches are doomed.

(more launch titles are to be presented for both upcoming consoles, late August, late September)

Not doomed, they'd just need to have a better game ready for launch.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Launch games aren't really that great to be honest. I think that Microsoft launch titles will be more successful than Sony's because they have a smaller fan base for the launching exclusives than Microsoft's. In my opinion though I am tired of the exclusives from Microsoft. I just can't take another Forza, Halo, or Gears of War game... even if it is next gen and looks shiny. Sony has had a fantastic track record with their IPs and while some of them going third party like Kingdom Hearts is a little disappointing, I think that the low price of the PS4 will still encourage people to really research which console is going to be beneficial to them in the long run.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@krakn3dfx said:

@mandude said:
    @alastir said:

Always wary of people who sign up for an account specifically to come into a console forum and try and poison the water somehow.

Dude signed up today, has 3 posts, all in this thread, all trying to downplay the momentum Sony has right now. He's the Microsoft equivalent of "I made $3500 working from home, click here to find out how!"

Hey, I made $3500 from home by attacking the PS4 on forums, click here to find out how!

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@whitestripes09 said:

Launch games aren't really that great to be honest. I think that Microsoft launch titles will be more successful than Sony's because they have a smaller fan base for the launching exclusives than Microsoft's.

I'm not sure what that means. I think you overestimate Forza sales. As of last November, GT5 alone was almost 9 million sold which is right around what all Forza games have sold combined.

@whitestripes09 said:

In my opinion though I am tired of the exclusives from Microsoft. I just can't take another Forza, Halo, or Gears of War game... even if it is next gen and looks shiny. Sony has had a fantastic track record with their IPs and while some of them going third party like Kingdom Hearts is a little disappointing, I think that the low price of the PS4 will still encourage people to really research which console is going to be beneficial to them in the long run.

As far as launch window titles, MS only has Forza as a known reliable title for them. There's no Gears announcement, and the next Halo will be holiday 2014 at the earliest. They have Titanfall, but that's certainly not a given success at this point, it's slated for Q1 2014, and it's coming to the PC as well.

A lot of people (parents, more casual gamers) are going to walk into a store and see $500 on one box and $400 on another and think 'that another $100 for a couple of games' and pick up the cheaper option, that's how things have gone historically at least, and historically in times when the economy wasn't as bumpy as it is right now.

People who do actual research are people like us, people that are online looking at specs and policies in addition to prices. Those people are going to make their decisions based on either those things or personal preference, and that pool is a lot smaller than people who just walk into a store and buy a new game system.

There's a really well written article in the new Edge Magazine that talks about how MS has a hard road ahead with the Xbox One based on company perception pricing, among other things. From a post on Gaf that ran down the points pretty well:

To go through their reasoning and some of the more cutting comments:

- PS4 focusses on players, that it is cheaper is 'merely one of its various advantages'

- Success isn't merely about price, but unfortunately for Microsoft PS4 is more powerful, and more developer friendly and has far better brand perception

- Microsoft's brand perception after the DRM reversal may no longer be 'down the toilet' but is still 'dangling somewhere around the rim'.

- Sony is willing to let indies self publish and release on PC and that, along with Sony's 17-strong WWS, leads Edge to believe that 'leaves little doubt as to which of the platform holders will offer the broadest range of games, at least early on'.

- Edge believes Microsoft has 'alienated the most vibrant development community in the modern era' and that their approach to indies is akin to them not courting EA or Epic last generation.

- Edge thinks their policies may see hundreds of game losses to PS4 over time

- After weeks of mixed messages Microsoft is 'a difficult company to trust'.

- Xbox One is the latest in a line of Microsoft experiments that consumers have rejected for similar reasons - a line that arrived too late with features that were too early for the market. Microsoft 'has constantly misjudged consumers' expectations', their new box 'equally confused'.

- Microsoft has 16 exclusive titles but are "trapped in the shadows of a mythical magic box that 'solves a hundred problems you never cared about solving in the first place".

- "In turning things around, Microsoft faces the kind of challenge that once drove the mighty Sega out of the hardware business"

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@krakn3dfx said:

...Drive Club looks great (and it'll only look better, Evolution knows how to bring it)...

The best thing about Drive Club? It's going to be free of charge with PS+, which means pretty much everybody will have it. Given how I enjoy autolog-like leaderboard chases and such the most about driving games (even if I prefer Criterion-style arcade racers really), those should be instantly populated, and offer loads of longterm challenge. Hopefully it'll be good enough to warrant such attention.

I'd wait until we find out exactly what the PS+ version of Drive Club is before you get too excited.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@seppli said:

@krakn3dfx said:

I'd wait until we find out exactly what the PS+ version of Drive Club is before you get too excited.

They've said it's the full game but without some of the cars and tracks, and that you will be able to upgrade for a discounted price to the full game. If I have to guess, I would say they'll put the upgrade price somewhere in the $20-$30 range, which is still half the price of the full game. More likely that it'll be $30 than $20, but we can always hope.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't think of any reason to pick up a new system on launch day. It's expensive, the hardware is unproven (look at how the 360 turned out), there are few games and the quality will be very hit and miss. Wait a year and if you're not able to get one for a cheaper price by then, they'll at least be a much stronger library of games and perhaps by then the Ouya will have proven itself to be the only worthwhile console, leaving all the Xbone/PS4 early adopters with expensive paper weights (yeah, that won't happen, but you get the point).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunkulese

Weren't all the broken 360s just replaced free of charge? I know mine was and I still have the fucking thing without an HDMI port.

Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Alastir

@lethalki11ler Yeah I'm a psx fan since 1997, even if I bought other systems, I've never been happier compared with ps consoles. But this time I only see that they are talking about his policies (which are very promising, we all love the psx and ps2 era period) but have shown 2-4 games, and noone of them are killers on the market.

@mandude what I said was either incorrectly interpreted or may have been unclear, my intention is not to reduce the momentum of Sony with PS4. I want a nice console, we are not on 2005 anymore, and now PS4 has the poor line up of both next gen launch, with permission of wii u (sorry just a bad joke). Even if u like it, the only games u can find post launch are Infamous and The Order, then what? There are no first party games announced for 2014, just the promise u can find 20 first party games for 2014. (btw I've been watching giant bomb for a while, I sign up now and have put my first post here, thats makes me look like a troll or something? Please ... what a welcome)

To state clear: My only concerns are about the games, not with the console. I love it. Problem is we are assuming that the launch of a console is poor ... Why? We're not in the 90's, early 2000 or 2005 anymore. In that sense MS it does very well, they have a more diverse content and great for his land, and that is undeniable. Do not underestimate Titanfall, is probably the biggest marketing of EA for many years, as I have read.

I think the catalog is very important for casual people, ok, we know that eventually Sony is benefited, because his first party are much better. But right now, someone is going to the store and he will find that it is more attractive the variety of titles of xbone, meanwhile PS4 just stands out more for third party titles. KZ or Knack are not good for sell each machines. (in my opinion ofc).

Maybe i'm wrong, gamescom/tgs are powerfull and Sony change my mind.

Anyway I want to state clear that I will buy the ps4, I'm not a fan of MS and less with everything they are doing, and if I had to recommend a console, would be PS4. With this post I just wanted to know if you're excited about the launch of ps4 and their games, and if you think that will sell well with a selection of games lower than his direct competition.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I neva owned a console at launch so I'm just getting one on launch cuzzz.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Killzone: SF, Planetside 2, Warzone, Knack, Diablo 3 (haven't seen anything to indicate this is coming to the XBO at launch, but I could be wrong), and Drive Club are the launch day exclusives. 3rd party launch day titles w/ PS4 exclusive content are Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs. Mad Max and Destiny will both have PS4 exclusive content at launch as well.

We're not even into Gamecom or TGS yet, where Sony has said they will be announcing new titles. Sony has come out and said they have 30 PS4 exclusive titles in development, 20 of them coming out within the first year of the console, and 12 are new IPs. If I had to guess, I'm betting Sony will announce at least 5 new exclusives at Gamescom and probably that many at TGS.

Second Son and The Order aren't launch titles.

There's a good argument to be made for not dropping a lot of big titles on launch day because too many and some will get lost in the shuffle. If Sony only had Killzone, Knack and Drive Club at launch, that would be plenty of content out of the gate. The PS4 is also going to have some great indie titles at launch and beyond, thanks to their freedom to self publish. We're already seeing the love from that with titles like Hotline Miami and a ton of other indie games coming to the PS3 and Vita right now.

There, now you know.

Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx I know all of this, just saying all we know atm is The order and Infamous are for 2014, then what? No games announced. Maybe I have not made a clear state, but I'm always talking about exclusive games, it is useless to put in the same bag third partys games, that are in xbone too, whats the point?

Gamescom and TGS are fine, maybe this year that gamescom would be big, they has to announce dates, and I hope some new games that are not psvita games or casual games like buzz or books.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Seppli

@alastir said:

@krakn3dfx I know all of this, just saying all we know atm is The order and Infamous are for 2014, then what? No games announced. Maybe I have not made a clear state, but I'm always talking about exclusive games, it is useless to put in the same bag third partys games, that are in xbone too, whats the point?

Gamescom and TGS are fine, maybe this year that gamescom would be big, they has to announce dates, and I hope some new games that are not psvita games or casual games like buzz or books.

Mutliplatform titles include games like MGS5 and The Witcher 3. Need I say more?

The point is games. I buy a new generation console to play games. Not first party games. Just games. Why would I dismiss multiplatform games? You sound like a Nintendo fan in that way. Do you want to know what games I'm going to buy at launch for my PS4? Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed Rivals. Why? Because that's the games I want to play. With utmost certainty, they'll look and run better on PS4 than they will on my PC, and they'll absolutely destroy current gen console versions. If the techwizzes from various outlets are right, then these games will also look and run better on PS4 than on Xbox One, because it has the more simple and elegant and powerful architecture. All of which it does at a 100$ lower pricepoint.

To be honest, none of the platform exclusives that have been shown thus far on either platform are all too enticing to me personally. Titanfall being the exception, and that's not even a real exclusive, nor is it a proper next gen game. It's a source engine game, that's not all too hardware demanding, it's built to work as it is on 360 too, and hence it will run perfectly fine on my current PC (and it's highly unlikely that PS4 won't get Titanfall sooner rather than later either). Titanfall ain't a launch game, and by the time it ships, I can likely just as well spend my time with Destiny, which looks just as amazing - if not even more so - with a much stronger singleplayer and coop component.

The most anticipated exclusive for me? Deep Down, which is currently only announced for PS4. If you've dug as deep into Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen's Bitterblack Island dungeon as I have, you'd understand.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way I always handle console launches is this: even if there are no games I want at launch, I'd rather get the big purchase out of the way as early as possible so when games I want do start coming, I can just buy them without having to plop down several hundred dollars for the console at the same time.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hunkulese

@alastir said:

Why wouldn't you look at third party games? The majority of people buying a console this year wont be buying both. If you want to know if your console purchase will be worthwhile then you need to look at all the games that you can play on it. If you're wondering if it's more worthwhile than an Xbox One, it's entirely up to the type of games you're interested in. If you're really into multiplayer online shooters than the Xbox is a better option but as it looks know you'll probably be happy if you choose to buy a PS4 or an Xbox One.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jimbo said:

That's what stopped me pre-ordering one in the end. No point buying it until there's something I wanna play on it.

I dunno, the thrill of a new console is pretty fun in and of itself.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No consoles have been worth on launch day since the N64 with Mario 64. The point, though, is the excitement that comes with the new console you'll get. The games themselves will most likely be forgotten within a couple of months/years. Launch titles usually don't hold up the test of time very well.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@zajtalan said:

I neva owned a console at launch so I'm just getting one on launch cuzzz.

Right there with ya buddy.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

None of them are worth it. Wait a year.

Alastir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I've canceled my preorder, I think Sony is not pushing his first party games until the end of the year (2014). Not really interested on KZ, BF4 o CoD, it's not my cup of tea games :/.

besides announcing ratchet and clank for ps3 put me mad, srsly? a new r&c for ps3 when ur releasing a new fucking console? Ok, don't count with me until you announce a new games.

I think Sony have a good console, but MS put a really better and interesting line up for xbone, besides third party games ofc. I hope they announcing something new on GC and TGC... I have not much hope srsly, Sony always launch his PS with no first party gaems. Im sure ur think im a fucking troll, sorry I dont care, is what I think.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By subject2change

@joshwent said:

After the whole red ring of death situation and Sonys many hardware/software fuck-ups, I'm surprised that anyone preorders a brand new console. It seems like the PS3 is the place to be for the next 6 months anyway.

Purchase an extended warranty, for the 50 bucks it'll be worth it. I plan to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.