Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Psn download speeds

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

I've always heard that psn download speeds suck but wondering if anyone can shed any light on what kind of speeds that means. Downloading a file at just over 200kB/s. Does that sound about right or should I do some fiddling with ports on the router. I'm in Hong Kong if that makes any difference.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

200 kb/s is kinda low, but maybe it's due to where you are? It all boils down to how fast you are able to download something vs how fast Sony's servers are going to give it to you. As it stands (and this seems to be an issue, to some extent, on all 3 major consoles) their servers aren't on the bleeding edge of internet speeds. Steam, on the other hand, will download "FASTER THAN THE DRIVE CAN WRITE". Its baffling to me that Sony and Microsoft's services don't even rate compared to steam. It just makes no sense.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats very slow it doesn't sound right 1 MB = 1024 KB your download speed should be 10% per second of your download. I have 60mb connection when PSN is behaving I get 6-7 mbps from steam I get 5 mbps.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By outlawtorn13

@thepanzini: @rongalaxy: Thanks guys, I have a 100MB/s connection which gives me around 6MB/s on steam. I'll try messing around with ports.

@mike: I tried that honest, but my search only showed a few specific searches in the last year and one of them made me think to ask if anyone had any experience in my area.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@outlawtorn13: Oh I know - I meant the post more as a resource so you can look through all of the other threads with people complaining about PSN download speeds. It's a pretty common issue, they've even discussed it on the Bombcast a few times.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawtorn13: Does PSN always give you this speed or is it a one off? PS3 or PS4? Wired or Wireless?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its really inconsistent. I have 100mpbs and I never get that, which is fine but often for big downloads I ahve to restart the ps4 to get a better download speed

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in one of those "flyover" states people make fun of and I get amazing PSN download speed. I have a 105mbit cable and on average I download at about 1-3 Megabytes per second. Which still pales in comparison to steam which I have hit 13 Megs a second at peak when I used to have 150mb cable.

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darth-Malum

I've found putting the ps4 in rest mode makes a significant difference, just this morning I started downloading mlb the show 15 which said it was gonna take 24 hours, popped it on rest, and it was done in 4 hours.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: I don't really download much on the ps4 as the games are so cheap here, picked up phantom pain for around 35/40 usd but I do occasionally get a few MB/s on ps4 with a wireless connection.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give them a try and hope the October 6 patch for phantom pain isn't going to be crazy big.

fabjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: @rongalaxy: Thanks guys, I have a 100MB/s connection which gives me around 6MB/s on steam. I'll try messing around with ports.

It's a regional thing. I get between 5 and 10 MB/s downloading from PSN.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawtorn13: Wifi in the PS4 is pretty bad I'd recommend using a wired connection if you can't looking into getting a powerline. Using games & apps throttles your download speed this is why alot people find success with rest mode, pausing and resuming a download will eventually jolt the speed back even if it takes a dozens tries. Speedof.me is a htm5 speed test that works with the PS4 browser.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The WiFi is fucking AWFUL on PS4 and it's pretty shocking that it shipped in that state.

michaelsuen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

On a separate but related note, when you buy a physical copy of a game does the install onto the system (whatever is being installed) require an Internet connection? My Internet is as active as a wet piece of lettuce.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.