Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSN Help please?

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've been having trouble signing into PSN for little over a day, I was signed in and able to get in a party at 5 pm yesterday, I redownloaded TLOU to my new HDD and chatted with my buddy until trying to load up Destiny to play with him. At this point Destiny says it's servers are down, I figure hey it happens we'll try infamous which has been sitting on both our HDD since it was on plus. It's at this point I realize my psn isn't working with games period, so I figure I'll restart and it should fix the problem as my friend is having no problems and my internet is working perfectly.

Unfortunately that was the last time I was able to sign into psn since then, despite booting my router, restarting the console multiple times(both restart and turning it right off) unplugging it from the wall, unplugged ethernet cables, tried connecting over wifi on the off chance that might work

I'm posting this hoping that some one has had prior experience with this and has something I can try as outside of calling Sony and seeing what they can come up with, I am out of ideas

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's OK for me to bump this, I'm hoping someone who missed it when I posted it may see it now, I'll leave the topic to die after this.

To give a couple more details my ps4 is still hitting the internet since it has pulled a few updates in and I can use the web browser. On my computer if I try to log in to the playstation website it can't load the page, this has been constant. I try to use their live support chat and the form comes up, I fill it out, enter the captcha and it puts a green check mark that it has verified but nothing happens, no other window opens up, nothing. The only thing I haven't been able to verify is my router settings to make sure somehow the ports they tell you to make sure haven't gotten blocked aren't blocked, I'm no networking expert, FAR from it actually but (and I'm sure I'll be corrected on this) it seems to me if the ps4 hits the internet, wouldn't psn be able to connect? I guess there's no reason that has to be true

UGH I can already see the saga this is about to become, I'm currently trying the twitter route hoping they could atleast suggest something to let me use their chat, as I don't have the patience to sit on the phone for hours today, but it's definitely looking like the only option I have left

Thanks for reading and any help I do get

schreibertyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It very well could be that one of the ports that the ps4 uses to connect to psn is blocked, I would make sure everything is squared away there first, unless you can't for some reason.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schreibertyler: Thanks for the reply, unfortunately someone other than me set up our router and didn't record the password or it's one only Rogers has which if true would be really stupid, I find that hard to believe and think it got changed and not recorded. Anyway sounds like I have some phone calls ahead of me, first to try and sort out the router and if that doesn't work I'll have to bite the bullet and call Playstation.

I'd guess it's not unheard of for a port to just get blocked out of the blue?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you have physical access to the router you can either reset the password (and other settings) with a small button somewhere on the router, or most routers i have seen nowadays have the password printed on the side. Some also use a default password like password or admin, so those are worth a shot.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ehbunner

@lego_my_eggo: Thanks I actually just figured that out lol probably at the moment you hit post haha, flipped it upside down to get model number and the details were just sitting there...*facepalm*

Now to figure out how to check these ports and hope I can get this problem sorted out, if anyone has advice on where I should be looking for TCP and UPD I would greatly appreciate that as well

Thanks for the help!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Portforward.com will set you up. It's a GREAT website with easy to follow instructions.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

PSN has been up and down for a few days now, depending on the area you're in. Store even went down for awhile, but looks like they fixed that. Things looks stable now.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright I figure I should update this in case any one has a similar problem in the future. While I can't say for certain what the problem was, I can tell you guys how it got resolved as well as my theory and someone can let me know if it sounds plausible.

So after fiddling around in my router settings and not having any luck figuring out where or what I should be doing, it dawned on me that a little over a month ago I had upgraded my HDD to the 2 TB drive. Now I had been debating the last few days whether or not I should try reinstalling the firmware to my ps4. The thing stopping me from doing that was the fact I would have to reinstall all my games, which ate up nearly all my internet when I did it a month ago. Which is where me remembering the original drive comes in, it dawned on me that I could test it out and see if a fresh install would fix the problem without having to get rid of all my games just to test it.

And what do you know it worked, I thought sweet now I just have to bite the bullet and do the same on my main drive, it'll suck but if it works and saves me having to sit on the line with someone who will likely want me to go through all the steps I've already tried. I take the ps4 apart and throw in the 2 TB HDD and it also dawns on me I should copy my witcher save just to be safe before the data is wiped. For whatever reason I think lets try and sign in just to see, and low and behold it totally signed in.

Now here is where I'm going to pose my scenarios and maybe someone could debunk them or let me know what you think it was

Scenario A) When I reinstalled the firmware is it somehow possible that something that's stored on something other than the HDD got reset

Scenario B) Is it possible that just simply unplugging the HDD and plugging it back in reset something

Scenario C)@getz: was right and it was simply coincidence that it all lined up perfectly with coming back right after I reinstalled

Scenario D) You tell me?

I find scenario C) hard to believe just based on how many days it was out for, with all the different hours of the day I tried at. Also my friend who lives pretty close (5 minute car ride) had no issues though that certainly doesn't rule it out...much weirder coincidences have happened than that.

I'm not sure if the other two are possible, I originally thought A was the answer but as I typed it out here I started questioning if the settings for that type of thing would be stored on something other than the HDD

Any other thoughts on what may have been the problem are more than welcome, I really don't NEED to know but my curiosity and thirst for knowledge has me intrigued enough that I'd love to hear any ideas

Finally I just want to thank @hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: as while I didn't end up needing the link in the end, it seems like a great resource to have and was promptly bookmarked for the next time I need help with that kind of thing.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I knew the GB community would come through and words can't accurately state how glad I am to have had all your help!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.