Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSN is going UP in price

• 56 results
    deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deepcovergecko

Sony has announced that the price of a one year subscription to PlayStation Plus will be raised to $59.99 USD / $69.99 CAD in North America and Canada respectively on the 22nd September.

As well as that, a three month subscription will soon set you back an extra $8 as the asking price increases to $24.99 USD / $29.99 CAD. The monthly plan will remain at $9.99 in the US, but Canadians can now expect to pay $11.99 a month.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/08/playstation_plus_price_increase_confirmed_for_us_and_canada

Between this and Neo I cannot be more glad I'm building a new PC in 12 days.

Edit: PS Plus *

Will the extra money go towards their download servers not being reminiscent of 2003 era broadband speeds?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bigsocrates  Online

This price raise amounts to less than 85 cents per month.

I have a hard time caring much. It's still a ridiculously good deal, especially when you factor in the extra savings you get on a lot of PSN sales for being a plus member.

Hopefully they'll use this extra money to get some slightly better games, especially on Vita where they've started giving away ancient PSP games, but they probably won't.

Still I find it hard to be upset over an 85 cent a month price raise after 6 years.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You mean it wasn't already $60? Hmmm, I just have it on renewal so I never noticed.

I'm getting in the mode of just paying for online things PSN, GiantBomb, Tested, Netflix, Amazon Prime, New York Times, Patrion, etc. The free Internet was getting a bit too annoying, free content is "lowest common demonstrator" content. If someone make something I'd rather just pay them, and that goes just as much for the New York Times as it does GiantBomb.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I must say at that is not a huge increase, but the "value" definitely went down in the last two years. If I counted the ammount of money I saved on the PS+ deals, it would not make up for the subscription price for me. The "free" games are mostly bad too, VITA ones as mentioned above are a joke and on PS4 I played maybe 4 good games last year. I play online from time tho, but it's definitely a thing to think about if it's still worth it. Too bad, when PS+ started on PS3 it was so good!

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Kingpk

Honestly, you're a chump if you pay full price for a XBox Live or PS+ sub in the first place; they are constantly on sale somewhere either online or in stores. I don't think I've paid more than $40/year in my 9 years on Live.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deepcovergecko

@kingpk said:

Honestly, you're a chump if you pay full price for a XBox Live or PS+ sub in the first place; they are constantly on sale somewhere either online or in stores. I don't think I've paid more than $40/year in my 9 years on Live.

I always bought codes for Xbox Live, almost 50% cheaper for a good while but the price seemed to increase during the last few years of the console.

@monkeyking1969 said:

The free Internet was getting a bit too annoying, free content is "lowest common demonstrator" content. If someone make something I'd rather just pay them, and that goes just as much for the New York Times as it does GiantBomb.

I think that varies wildly; some of the best tech/PC related content online is completely free on YouTube and I don't pay anything for it.

There are definitely some cases where I prefer to pay than "put up" with the competitive but ultimately inferior free options.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigsocrates  Online

@kingpk said:

It is true that you can usually get a discount (I wouldn't call someone a 'chump' for just paying for the service, that's not nice) but it is also true that the price increase is likely to be reflected in the discounted prices. So if you could get it for $37 before you might now pay $45. Still a price increase.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bigsocrates: Eh, still cheaper than full price. And if it means better download speeds or new features, then that's a bonus.

I'm just a cheap bastard (coming from a family of cheap bastards) so people not looking for a deal on something just seems odd to me. Hey, it's your money.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I could of sworn I was paying $60/yr already.

Hopefully this means the PS+ games will be better?

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deepcovergecko

@turboman said:

I could of sworn I was paying $60/yr already.

Hopefully this means the PS+ games will be better?

Loading Video...

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see how as an American this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but as a Canadian this is a $20 price hike, it's hard to justify $70 to play online, and that is how I will always look at it since that is the only guarantee, I don't buy enough games for the discounts to pay for themselves and while I download the free games they aren't an incentive to subscribe just an added bonus, I subscribe to plus because I have to in order to be able to play online with my friends.

For a while people were complaining about the free games and all I could think is I'm paying $10 less than I was last generation on the 360 whatever games I do get whether it's 2 or 6 a year(that I actually get use out of) is a bonus because I have to pay this money to play online, now I'm paying $10 more and don't know what to do.

Part of me wants to not resubscribe and hope that enough other people did the same that Sony is forced to at least only go up to $60 but knowing that, that won't happen, and that doing that is effectively giving up gaming and wasting the money I've already put into this generation I don't know what to do, if I wasn't so strapped for cash right now, I'd go buy a couple more cards from costco for $47 and stock up for a couple years

In short DAMN YOU CANADIAN DOLLAR

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By enemylandlord

Well this will likely be the end of my the time subscribing to PS Plus. Online play isn't super high value for me and in 2016 they haven't offered a single free game I've had any desire to play that I didn't already own. I've been feeling pretty bad about the services value at the current price since my last re-up, and there's no chance it's worth $70 in its current state. I guess this at least makes the decision to resubscribe in a couple months a lot easier.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i should really play all those ps plus games sometime

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have still never used PS+ in the near year since I've had my PS4. Still not really been using it for multiplayer.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was 50usd before, and that was too much lol.

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By virtualpolecat

I really hope that this means more AAA games will be free with PS+.

IIRC the only AAA games that have been on PS+ were Injustice, 2k16, and rocket league if you call that an AAA game(I personally wouldn't, but I could see some merit.) If they don't step up their game I'll probably stop paying for the service, I haven't played any multiplayer games since Destiny.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@quipido said:

I must say at that is not a huge increase, but the "value" definitely went down in the last two years. If I counted the ammount of money I saved on the PS+ deals, it would not make up for the subscription price for me. The "free" games are mostly bad too, VITA ones as mentioned above are a joke and on PS4 I played maybe 4 good games last year. I play online from time tho, but it's definitely a thing to think about if it's still worth it. Too bad, when PS+ started on PS3 it was so good!

I disagree with that. I think some people think it was giving away full retail games at the start. It was a couple of years before it started getting really good. It was stuff like Sonic the Hedgehog, Burn Zombie Burn, Golden Axe, Lead and Gold, and Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves at first. Though the quality of current games may have decreased, I would take Rebel Galaxy and Yakuza 5 over that stuff any day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

@bigsocrates said:

I have a hard time caring much. It's still a ridiculously good deal, especially when you factor in the extra savings you get on a lot of PSN sales for being a plus member.

Hopefully they'll use this extra money to get some slightly better games, especially on Vita where they've started giving away ancient PSP games, but they probably won't.

Still I find it hard to be upset over an 85 cent a month price raise after 6 years.

So after they raise it again it's going to be also only 85c? and then when it goes up to $80 a month it's just going to be 85c more? The thing to get upset about is that they are rising the price without offering anything to the consumer in lieu of said price hike. It doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10 - they're simply taking more money from you and you're just ok with it and thats not right. Especially considering how painfully slow PSN can be at times. XBL gives you backwards compatible titles at least. Sony is asking you to pay for those and unlike the XB1 they sometimes work worse on the PS4 through PS Now - a service that by the way, is still not available in my region of Europe, so I simply don't get access to it. I don't get to pay less because not all of their services are available to me, I just have to deal with it.

It's the principle more than anything in this case.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigsocrates  Online

@humanity: I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. This is also a 20% price increase after 6 years, which is about twice the amount of inflation since 2010, so inflation adjusted this is just an increase of $5 a month. Now you can argue that the dollar has also appreciated about 10% against the yen since then, but Sony is an international company and has lots of operations in the U.S./Europe.

You can't expect prices to stay static forever, just because of inflation if nothing else. If this turns into a pattern then I'll be outraged, but so far it is a one off small price increase after 6 years.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @bigsocrates said:

So after they raise it again it's going to be also only 85c? and then when it goes up to $80 a month it's just going to be 85c more? The thing to get upset about is that they are rising the price without offering anything to the consumer in lieu of said price hike. It doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10 - they're simply taking more money from you and you're just ok with it and thats not right. Especially considering how painfully slow PSN can be at times. XBL gives you backwards compatible titles at least. Sony is asking you to pay for those and unlike the XB1 they sometimes work worse on the PS4 through PS Now - a service that by the way, is still not available in my region of Europe, so I simply don't get access to it. I don't get to pay less because not all of their services are available to me, I just have to deal with it.

It's the principle more than anything in this case.

PS Now has nothing to do with PS+. It's a separate service with a separate sub.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Humanity

@metalbaofu: Well that is even worse then.

@bigsocrates:By being complacent about it now you are basically letting them know that you're ok with this becoming a pattern, because you're ok with it now. You are seriously perfectly fine with paying more with no justification apart from "we want to make more money from this" - that is an absolutely ok reason to you, as a consumer?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly thought it was $60 already, so this doesn't bother me much.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bigsocrates  Online

@humanity said:

@bigsocrates:By being complacent about it now you are basically letting them know that you're ok with this becoming a pattern, because you're ok with it now. You are seriously perfectly fine with paying more with no justification apart from "we want to make more money from this" - that is an absolutely ok reason to you, as a consumer?

As far as I can tell the real justification is "We're the market leader, so why should we price lower than Xbox?" Also it appears that they might be running into cost problems getting games, based on the recent lineup. It's also probably partially an inflation adjustment, but going to $55 doesn't make sense when Xbox is at $60.

In a world where a lot of prices have gone completely ridiculous (like epipens for example, or cable costs) I find it hard to get too angry over a very modest price increase after 6 years. Now if this continues I'll sing a different tune, but gamers have a tendency to get super outraged over every small increase in price, even if it's necessary. I remember when XBLA games went from $5 to $10 and then to $15. It was because the games were getting bigger and more expensive to make and the old prices just weren't profitable. Yet gamers were furious.

Is all you want better messaging? If Sony said "We're increasing the price because of inflation and because we're going to increase spending on our network infrastructure" would you be happy? I agree that some kind of messaging would be useful, but then they run the risk of people screaming bloody murder the next time there is an issue with PSN because of that messaging.

I'm no huge Sony supporter. I think their customer service is terrible, and I think they handled the giant PSN outage of 2011 very badly, but this is one small price increase. I don't want to extrapolate from a single data point. As I said, if price increases continue with no improvement of services, then I'll be happy to join everyone else in outrage.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I do hope that they buy some more/better servers with that money.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By TheMasterDS

Maybe I should cancel it. I can't remember the last online game I played on PSN. Probably Rocket League which I played for a week. I dunno.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

If you mean about the quality of PS Now, then I can't comment. I haven't used it since it launched. I tried a bit during that free beta time they had or whatever and it was fine, but that's the extent of my experience with it. I was just commenting on the notion of paying less for PS+ because you don't have access to PS Now. Doesn't make sense since they are separate services.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I was already leaning towards not resubing when my subscription is up, add this to the list? Honestly I don't care about a minimal price hike, I just don't play things online and I don't like the plus games, rarely play them and am never impressed by them over the past 2 years

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Humanity

@metalbaofu: It's good to know. I wasn't aware because PS Now has never even appeared on the menu for me.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If it leads to a better selection of PS+ games and more consistent download speeds, I'm fine with it. If it doesn't, I'm out.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Meh, it sucks but ill deal with it. I just hope they are doing it for better servers/games and not just because they can.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I barely use online features outside of Dark Souls and Bloodborne but the idea of subbing for freebies (yeah, I know) still appeals to me. I have about 10 more months til a hike hits me any way. Assuming it's UK bound.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have 4 or 5 years on my account from when they went on sale on Amazon.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still less than I pay for FFXI yearly, which adds up to about $168 CAD a year ($14 per 30 days).

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks, but i will most likely still pay for it.

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if I'll still be playing Overwatch when my subscription is up... I haven't been too excited about the PS+ games lately.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Well, I have too many ps+ games installed at this point to stop...

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If things like the psn store and downloads didn't seem like they were handled by drunken monkeys from outer space smashing bananas against their keyboards 24/7 then I would be okay with this, but as it is now? I'm not exactly keen on this price raise.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels especially gross as a Canadian because of the $20 price jump. A 40% increase is pretty harsh.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They picked some good timing. Holidays will come around, a bunch of PSN accounts will be renewed and nobody will remember the price increase.

Eh, I never seem to play those included games more than a few minutes and I play mostly on PC so I think I'm just going to let this thing expire. For those that keep paying I hope the download speeds stop being hilariously awful.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBL has been $60 for awhile now and it seems like it's constantly on sale for $40.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who say that isn't that big of a raise, while partially right, are completely missing the point on why so many people are upset with this.

PS Plus has been going downhill for a long time, with a lot of it's users complaining about the current state of PS Plus and PSN without having any feedback from Sony or any hint that the services will get better and now they raise the price of a service people already had problems with, without fixing any of it's problems. But let's hope this raise fixes them.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it leads to a better selection of PS+ games and more consistent download speeds, I'm fine with it. If it doesn't, I'm out.

This was essentially my response to the news that they were charging for online play on the PS4 back in 2013. I felt like as long as basic server and infrastructure stuff got a lot better I was fine paying for all the cool games they gave away alone. The problem is it didn't get better, in fact I don't think it's crazy to say it hasn't improved at all since the PS3 days. I don't think I'm giving them another chance at this.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

It was bad enough that Sony started charging for PS+ when it was free on PS3. It would have been justified if the service was better, but its still as crappy as before. Another problem is that the so called free games aren't free. Once your subscription is up, those games get locked out and you have to pay retail price. And finally, the so called free games on PS4 have been really crappy - mostly indie games that people have already paid for and played. They only recently offered some decent games like NBA 2K16 and Furi which is a new Indie game. My subscription doesn't end until the beginning of December and I'm now wondering if I should update it before the price increase or just let it die and wait for one of those rare sales before renewing. Anyway, advantage Microsoft. The price for internet is now the same and Xbox have better free games. They recently made Tekken Tag Tournament 2 free.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Anyone know of an active sale going on right now for PS+?

Thinking of adding another year or two onto my service if there's a sale going on. Other sales seem to be expired from what I've found so far.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By VoshiNova

I don't really think it's too bad. PS Plus and Xbox Live have added so many perks since the last generation that I can't complain. I have a ludicrous amount of games in my Xbox library thanks to Xbox Live's Gold subscription. Legitimately good games too.

Also, it does seem like any mention of Playstation's service brings a multitude of customers pointing out it's download speed's deficiencies and what-not. So maybe some sort of public mention regarding that would ease the mark up.

Edit: "PlayStation Plus strives to enrich your PlayStation experience through a world-class service built for our fans. This marks the first time that PS Plus membership prices will increase in the U.S. and Canada since the launch of the service in 2010. The new pricing reflects the current market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members."

I will never know how these statements are still acceptable. It's literal horse shit.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ezekiel

I pay twenty dollars a month for Netflix DVD and I split a regular Netflix subscription with my brother. That's a high price, but I get a lot of value out of it. PlayStation 4 doesn't have a big enough library of good exclusives that could be rented to justify paying a premium for online play that should be free. PlayStation is a joke. Well, modern gaming in general is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.