Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Q: Playing US games online with a European PSN account

nielsvaes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have 2 PSN accounts:

• one Belgian with PS Plus
    • one American without PS Plus.

I really want to pre-order Destiny, but the digital price is just ridiculous for my Belgian account. It's on the Playstation store for 69.99EUR. That's $95. Compare that to the American Playstation store where it's selling for $59.99. That's 44EUR.

So if I were to buy the game digitally with my American account, would I still be able to play online using my Belgian account? Or would I have to add PS Plus to my American account as well?

As far as I know, 1 PS Plus subscription works for 2 Belgian accounts on the same PS4. But I'm unsure if it will also work for 1 Belgian account and 1 American account.

Has anyone tried this?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

You would need a PS+ sub for your American account in order to do it legally and not have to worry about Sony banning both your accounts and losing all your digital games etc.

Your EU PS+ account will not cover you for a NA PS+ account. You can have both though (1 EU and 1 US) but you have to pay for them both.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I really cannot stand how you can't switch regions on Sony stuff. When I moved to Europe from Canada, I switched my Xbox account region to Germany in November and now that is where it stands. When I go back this month I will be able to switch it back to NA because it's been after 6 months and Microsoft just lets you do that. I was also able to play every single Xbox game I have on my PC (Windows Store games) without the region being an issue, which leads to me believe that once you buy a game you can play it in any region, regardless of where you bought it.

But with Sony, they don't even give you the opportunity to switch back. I am stuck with the EU PSN account I have over here, and thus all my Vita games, and so I have to buy EU PSN codes from amazon when I want to buy something. Add the fact that Vitas can only support one PSN ID and it's completely ridiculous. If I want to start using my NA account again, I will lose all my games and saves and will have to restore the card to work with another PSN.

tl;dr: region stuff is garbage.

nielsvaes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would need a PS+ sub for your American account in order to do it legally and not have to worry about Sony banning both your accounts and losing all your digital games etc.

Your EU PS+ account will not cover you for a NA PS+ account. You can have both though (1 EU and 1 US) but you have to pay for them both.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It sucks though, there is absolutely no reason to buy digital games with them being this expensive. Also no way for me to get into the beta then, which is a real shame.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nielsvaes marked this as the best answer

Is there a source for this?

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IroN1c

@nielsvaes: Sent you a private message on that matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.