Resogun Reactions?

#1 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

One of the things that sold me on PS4 is Playstation Plus. I've been a subscriber on the PS3 since they began throwing out free games, and I've loved the service. (And Xbox has been pretty pathetic with their answer, if you ask me!)

So my decision on Xbox One vs PS4 was largely around value. I didn't want to have to buy too many games right out of the gate to enjoy the system, and the promise of PS Plus on the PS4 clinched it for me.

I'll admit that I was underwhelmed by Resogun at first. It was getting such great feedback, and my expectations were pretty high. But I also had played a bit of Super Stardust (mostly for the 3D) and never got crazy about that.

A couple hours of Resogun gameplay in my pocket, though, and I'm really loving it. It's both simple and beautiful with just enough variety. And the fact that I didn't pay a dime for it (well, not directly anyway) makes it all that much better. So how do you feel about Resogun so far?

#2 Edited by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

It's a well-made score-based shoot-'em-up in an age where we don't have nearly enough of those. The fact that it looks and sounds really nice is icing on the cake.

#3 Posted by Hosstile17 (762 posts) -

I picked up a PS4 with AC4, Killzone, Need for Speed, and BF4. I have been playing Resogun more than any of the disc games. I loved Geometry Wars and Super Stardust HD/Delta. So, it is nice to have a game like this.

I am getting my Xbox One tonight and it is a huge bummer to not have a Geometry Wars kind of game to go with it. You would think they would have gone hard at that since the first two games did so well for them. But, eh well. ON TO FORZA!

#4 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

I like it a lot but am still having a hard time understanding exactly what's going on.

#5 Edited by TurboMan (7340 posts) -

I think I've put about 10-15 hours into it so far and will probably continue doing so. Got a platinum trophy out of this also (surprisingly easy to get one).

EDIT: Hot Tip. When you have a human and in the area of another human, press Boost and then Throw Human to send that fucker to the moon. Great to use when you need to be in two places at once.

@geraltitude said:

I like it a lot but am still having a hard time understanding exactly what's going on.

How so?

#6 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

@geraltitude: Me too, actually. I have no idea how to find the humans. I have no idea when I'm supposed to be looking. I lose so many where I have NO IDEA where they are.

#7 Posted by Zirilius (566 posts) -

@geraltitude: Me too, actually. I have no idea how to find the humans. I have no idea when I'm supposed to be looking. I lose so many where I have NO IDEA where they are.

So everytime you "Keepers Spawned" that is when one of your Humans is in danger. To save the human you have to kill the glowy (want to say it's green but I'm colorblind) spawns that happen. You have a set time and the keepers run in a set pattern. If you kill them all then the human is released from its cage. You an see which human it was cause the last keepers essence travels towards the cage and you can save it by taking it to a portal. If you don't kill them the human is lost and you can't rescue them

#8 Edited by Zirilius (566 posts) -

The keepers will spawn near your craft so don't travel far but the human you rescue can be anywhere near the map.

#9 Edited by spraynardtatum (2523 posts) -

I got that high score itch. I'm 122 in the world on one map. Can't remember which one. That Nemesis ship is amazing. I love boosting through groups of enemies and essentially using my ship as a destructive paint brush.

Resogun is Resofun.

#10 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@irishdoom said:

So everytime you "Keepers Spawned" that is when one of your Humans is in danger. To save the human you have to kill the glowy (want to say it's green but I'm colorblind) spawns that happen. You have a set time and the keepers run in a set pattern. If you kill them all then the human is released from its cage. You an see which human it was cause the last keepers essence travels towards the cage and you can save it by taking it to a portal. If you don't kill them the human is lost and you can't rescue them

@turboman: I think zirilius just explained it? I didn't understand what to do when I would see the human jumping up and down in the box and the box is glowing green. I thought the keepers were just the ships that abduct the humans, but I guess they aren't.

#11 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Awesome, I get it now. I thought that keepers thing meant one of the humans was going to be running around. So if I hear the keepers thing, I kill the glowy guys, then a guy will get out of his cage.

#12 Edited by OmniscientCajun (115 posts) -

@spraynardtatum said:

I got that high score itch. I'm 122 in the world on one map. Can't remember which one. That Nemesis ship is amazing. I love boosting through groups of enemies and essentially using my ship as a destructive paint brush.

Resogun is Resofun.

This sentiment exactly. Late on Saturday, I put together my best Experienced run (39.8 mil) and was 23rd in the world. Woke up the next day, to see I had fallen to 39th and the fellow bomber @fluxwavez was a few spots ahead of me. I have since fallen much further down those top scores.

Flux is still killing it on all difficulties, and I cracked the top 30 or so with my 50+ Veteran run yesterday. But I'm gonna be playing far less now that I got the Platinum. Great game, scratched that Geometry Wars itch perfectly, despite not being that similar a game.

@geraltitude: When the box blinks/glows around a human (the respective human icon in the top left will also be shaded blue now), the set of keepers that unlock that box have spawned, and upon killing them, the box will unlock and the human will pop out (the icon will now be shaded green).

#13 Edited by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

I had thought that when the keepers message went off, I had to boost around and find the human that got released. I think I got confused by the first time I saw a ship actually beaming a dude up. Like the keepers message meant they were in the process of beaming a guy up.

#14 Posted by FinalDasa (1451 posts) -

I'm surprised with how much I'm enjoying it. Despite beating it once I'm going back and trying to beat it on higher difficulties and getting trophies. Maybe that says more about the lackluster launch lineup but for a free game like this to keep me coming back, it's pretty awesome.

Having a similar experience with DCUO.

#15 Posted by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@irishdoom said:

In addition to the "regular" keepers, there are occasionally two other rarer conditions for freeing humans:

1) Sometimes a set of keepers will spawn that needs to be killed in a specific order (they will have target markers shown on them).

2) Finally, some humans require your multiplier to be over a certain amount at a specific time, and if it isn't, the human will just die immediately. (The second-to-last human on the first stage works like this, at least on Experienced.)

#16 Posted by Aquablak (184 posts) -

I love it, and I think I enjoy it more than I did Geometry Wars. I love boss battles in my schmups.

#17 Posted by Zirilius (566 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@irishdoom said:

In addition to the "regular" keepers, there are occasionally two other rarer conditions for freeing humans:

1) Sometimes a set of keepers will spawn that needs to be killed in a specific order (they will have target markers shown on them).

2) Finally, some humans require your multiplier to be over a certain amount at a specific time, and if it isn't, the human will just die immediately. (The second-to-last human on the first stage works like this, at least on Experienced.)

Ahhh I didn't realize about number 1 or 2. Never seen number 1 though playing on Experienced but number 2 makes sooooo much more sense about why one of them dies without any warning.

#18 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Not sure if I'm missing something, but is there a way to get screenshots off the ps4?

Took some great ones in resogun and would love to have the files.

Haven't tried the co-op yet. How is it?

#19 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (529 posts) -

From my initial 30 minutes with it, I came away feeling underwhelmed. There was a lot of talk and hype leading up to the PS4 launch, about the voxels and all that. It didn't really blow me away from a visual standpoint, in fact I don't think it even looks as good as Super Stardust HD. That probably has more to do with the minimalist art design in Resogun than anything, but I was expecting more. The game did seem fun though and I need to put some more time into it.

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I'm playing it a bit too much. It's a very fun game, especially on higher difficulties, but it can get frustrating at times too like when dudes just spawn right on your ship and fuck you over. It's a game with a fair amount of depth and as someone who doesn't usually put much time into score based games, I'm surprised at how much I've been playing Resogun.

I gotta reach Hero difficulty as well as try to usurp the #1 Master position.

#21 Posted by TurboMan (7340 posts) -

@fluxwavez: I've been following your progress in Resogun, and you are foiling my plans to be the #1 player in my friends list.

#22 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

Played a little bit. It took me a little while to grasp what was going on but it seems fine. I might return to it at some point but it didn't exactly blow me away or anything.

#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

I like it as much as I liked Super Stardust Hd, which is to say a lot.

#24 Posted by churrific (470 posts) -
#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

Just wanted to say thanks to the tips in this thread - it's going a lot better for me. Pretty cool seeing FluxWaveZ's name up there too.

For what it's worth, I'm having better luck with the Nemesis ship than the others.

#26 Edited by Zirilius (566 posts) -

@syed117 said:

Not sure if I'm missing something, but is there a way to get screenshots off the ps4?

Hold the share button down until you see the picture icon come up on the screen.

#27 Posted by spraynardtatum (2523 posts) -

I'm playing it a bit too much. It's a very fun game, especially on higher difficulties, but it can get frustrating at times too like when dudes just spawn right on your ship and fuck you over. It's a game with a fair amount of depth and as someone who doesn't usually put much time into score based games, I'm surprised at how much I've been playing Resogun.

I gotta reach Hero difficulty as well as try to usurp the #1 Master position.

Holy nuts

#28 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

it can get frustrating at times too like when dudes just spawn right on your ship and fuck you over.

OH MY GOD. This is what has fucked me out of the 1CC trophy several times. It's the only trophy I have left to unlock D: I like that in rookie they prevent that from happening with slower enemy spawns and the pausing of enemy spawns if you're directly on top of them.

EDIT: You know if you can do the 1CC trophy in coop? If so, will you want to help me get through it tonight or this weekend?

#29 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

If Resogun was out this week only on PS3, would anyone care about it?

#30 Posted by spraynardtatum (2523 posts) -
#31 Edited by Lava (659 posts) -

I'm loving resogun a fair bit. The RA in my apartment building came and checked out the PS4 and was questioning why I was playing it when I had Need for Speed, Killzone, and Battlefield 4 sitting there. I said sometimes ya just need a simple, fun, fast paced, dual stick shooter to finish off the night. I love it a lot. Still trying to get better at it.

#32 Edited by xenosagachick (2 posts) -

I'm currently greatly enjoying it and trying to hunt down all the cheats and trophies. I'm using this site as a guide: PS4 Trophy Guides

Pretty awesome that it has a platinum trophy right? Don't usually downloadable titles not have platinum trophies?

#33 Posted by TaunT (52 posts) -

It's pretty cool I like it

#34 Edited by R3belD0gg (72 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@syed117 said:

Hold the share button down until you see the picture icon come up on the screen.

Quick tip, if you don't know: Get to the share screen (By default, press the "Share" button.) Press the "Options" button. Select "Share Settings." The first menu option is "SHARE Button Control Type." Change this to "Easy Screenshots." This setting should be the default, I think. One press of the button gives a screenshot, long press for menu and double tap for start a new video clip.

EDIT: Just realized he wants to get the screenshots off of the PS4... Yeah, upload to FB or Twitter. At the moment, that's the only way. Hopefully we'll be able to connect to our desktops and/or Vitas for that kind of thing later.

As for Resogun, I like these kinds of games but I can't play them for hours on end. As far as they go, this one is the bees knees, though. They really didn't do a great job of explaining how the hell to play, but once you understand what's going on with the humans and all, it's pretty fun. I like the lower difficulties on Vita when I'm laying in bed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.