Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Scaling issue with PS4?

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jackburtonme

Has anyone had trouble with certain games being scaled down on PS4 recently? I've noticed it with Rogue Legacy, Apotheon and The Swapper. The games are slightly smaller than the screen size, leaving a black box around the outside of the picture. I don't think it is a TV issue, because some games (Grim Fandango and Binding of Isaac) look normal. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this related to the 2.0 patch?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Either haven't had this problem or haven't noticed it, no.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 can only run indie games at 900p! Consoles are dead!

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Wacomole

From what you have told us, my guess is that for some reason the setting under [ Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings ] is smaller than your visible screen area.

I've tested it with two of the games that you have mentioned, "Rogue Legacy" and "Binding of Issac" and have recreated the problem you are having (ie the setting is not honored by "Binding of Issac" giving a full screen image, but is by "Rogue Legacy" therefore giving the black border)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wacomole: I was wondering if that was the issue myself. Sounds like it because I don't remember having issues with Rogue Legacy being full screen but I know I have those borders set to the very edge of the screen.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole: That may be it. I never considered that the games that are scaling correctly are overriding the setting. The borders on that setting are as small as possible. I didn't change it because I assumed that it would stretch the image. I feel like that display area setting must have been reset or added recently in a patch though, because I've had my ps4 since launch and it's never been an issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

It's only a problem if you let it be one, man

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.