So I've decided to buy a PS4

#1 Edited by goonage (47 posts) -

So I've decided to buy a PS4 (So no console/pc comments), and I've been wondering what games should I get.

Most of the games I'm really interested in are coming out in 2015, so I'm looking for about 2 games to get me through the remainder of 2014. Are there any good existing games/ games that are coming out in 2014 that I should buy? (Preferably Single Player focused, I don't play a lot of multiplayer and I'm probably not going to get the PS+).

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11303 posts) -

inFAMOUS Second Son is a great game, but it's pretty short. If you're looking for something long in the near future, I'd suggest going for AC Unity, Far Cry 4, or maybe Shadow of Mordor? If I had to guess, I'd say all of those will have lengthy (20-30 hours) story modes, but I can't say, because obviously they aren't out yet.

And I wouldn't boo hoo the idea of PS+ just yet, you do get free games with it every month. But if the PS4 is the only Sony system you have, that's obviously fewer games that you'll get. I would suggest Destiny for a more online focused game (also not out yet, I know), but I wouldn't get that if you weren't going to be playing online.

As much as I love my PS4 (and I do!), I have to admit the pickings are pretty slim at this point.

#3 Posted by ozzdog12 (862 posts) -

I mean I liked Watch Dogs(after the first act) I took me a while to really get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I've heard Killzone is decent, but its probably more multiplayer focused. Also, Tomb Raider: DE. I played it on PS3 and loved so I can only imagine its just as good on PS4.

As for future releases, AC: Unity, Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 4.

2015 will be crowded

#4 Posted by Goldone (84 posts) -

Assassin's Creed IV wasn't bad if you've not played that, but with Unity coming out you may just want to wait for the new one instead. inFamous Second Son was good too, hell I didn't mind Thief all that much. Recently though I've been playing a lot of The Last of Us, Trials Fusion, Don't starve and Rogue Legacy, all of which I think are great and well worth getting.

Really depends on what games you're after, I know some people say there's not a lot to play on the PS4 right now but I have a pretty decent backlog thanks to PS+ discounts and their monthly games.

#5 Edited by peffy (14 posts) -

Maybe consider Diablo 3 and The Last of Us? Also, Dragon Age Inquisition in November.

These 3 games are probably great single player experiences.

Really, it depends on what kind of games you are into. When making these kinds of threads, it would be helpful to explain a bit about previous platforms you've owned and what genres you like.

#6 Posted by Jesus_Phish (983 posts) -

@goonage: You should get PS+. You'll get 2 games per Sony system a month even if you don't own those games. That means if you ever pick up a Vita or PS3 down the line you'll already have a back catalogue of games to play on them. There's also bonuses of usually 10-20% off on sales and new release titles on the PSN store for PS+ members.

#7 Posted by Budwyzer (598 posts) -

Netflix

But, for serious, Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition. Local co-op, Diablo with a controller. Fan-fucking-tastic. I hope. I still have to make it home, alive, from work today to actually try it. D:

#8 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3429 posts) -

What kind of games do you like?

Dragon Age: Inquisition (November) is the obvious pick for single-player games so far as RPGs go.

Some other thoughts:

- Need For Speed Rivals (underrated acradey racer)
- Transistor (hype went away fast but a great single player tactical turn based action game)
- AC: Unity should be out soon, I'd wait for that rather than do Black Flag

Don't want PS+ huh? Any reasons why? For the price of 1 major game release (59.99) you get 24 games a year per device. With games being 5 to 60 bucks that's a value of 120 -1400 bucks or something like that. Think about it. Been worthwhile so far.

#9 Edited by OldManLight (886 posts) -

Congrats! I just bought a PS4 also via Buy.com's Ebay store. Got it for $360 with no sales tax and free shipping (toot toot) That said, i've also been stockpiling the PS4's PS+ games for a few months now so when i turned it on i already had a 15 games waiting for me to install. It's because of this that i think you're making a huge mistake ignoring the value proposition of PS+. Even if you have no intention of playing multiplayer games on your PS4, the total cost of the games i have in my library because of that service far outweighs the $50-60 a year cost of it. Especially if you own another Sony device like a PS3 or Vita.

Also, since we're on the subject of the value of PS+, newegg's ebay store has year memberships for $40. Try it out and if you don't want to keep it, don't renew it. My first actual purchase for my PS4 was Diablo 3 that is out today. i did the digital version of that because i know it's something i'll come back to for a while.

Cheap PS+ 1 year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301240626504?afsrc=1

#10 Posted by Glottery (1322 posts) -

Wolfenstein - The New Order worked swell on PS4.

#11 Posted by pyrodactyl (2188 posts) -

If you didn't play the last of us play the last of us. It's fantastic.

Aside from that, if I could only buy 2 games this year on PS4 I would pick dragon age and AC:unity. There's also Shadow of mordor that looks cool.

For now you could buy Transistor and AC:4 for cheap. They're both fantastic games.

#12 Edited by dkessler175 (88 posts) -

Assassin's creed 4 was a blast the whole way through. Wolfenstein is my favorite ps4 game so far but it was short at about 8-10 hours. I just picked up diablo, I have never played a diablo game before so I will report back once I sink my teeth into it.

#13 Posted by LawGamer (240 posts) -

1. Get PS+. Believe me, I'm just like you - someone who prefers single-player games, but PS+ will pay for itself pretty quickly with the free games. What's on offer tends to be pretty high quality too. As someone who made the switch from the 360 last gen, I was pretty shocked by how much value you get out of PS+ as opposed to XBOX Live.

2. As for games, here are my evaluations of the games currently in my library for the PS4:

• Wolfenstein: The New Order - I honestly bought this just for something to play and thought it would be a one and done given that I don't like FPSs that much. Then it somehow turned into one of my favorite games this year. They managed to make a really good shooter that feels old-school while still bowing to modern sensibilities. Before I knew it, I'd played though it three times. It's probably not enough to get you through until next year, but I'd say it's definitely worth a look.
  • Assassins Creed: Black Flag - How much you get out of this will depend on how much you like AC games as well as whether you played it on last gen. I enjoyed it immensely, but if the AC gameplay bores you, it might not be worth. As others have mentioned, Unity is coming out soon, so you might wait for that.
  • Infamous: Second Son - I found this to be solid, but unspectacular. It really looks nice, so it's a game that can show off the power of the PS4, but I thought the gameplay started to lose its legs pretty quickly.
  • Killzone: Shadowfall - This looks good, but it's a bog-standard shooter beyond that. In fact, for how good it looks, in many ways the gameplay feels ancient with invisible walls and such. It's also mostly MP focused so once your done with the campaign, there isn't much left. I probably would have passed on this except that it was a launch title.
  • Watch Dogs - Skip it. This is essentially a not very well made GTA clone. None of the activities feel worthwhile, the hacking isn't used in an interesting way, the protagonist is an immense asshole, and they somehow made a city as iconic as Chicago feel incredibly generic. If you're dying for an Ubisoft open world game, AC: Black Flag is considerably better.
  • Transistor - Hard to judge, since it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of game. I was in the "hate it" crowd. I didn't find the central gameplay loop very satisfying and the story was poorly told. I wish they had just re-released Bastion instead. That said, you can find tons of people who will swear by it, but it wasn't for me.
  • Child of Light - If you can get past the obnoxious not-rhyming dialogue and sometimes cloying whimsy of it, I actually found this to be a pretty enjoyable RPG. It isn't terribly long, but there was enough there to hold my interest. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack and I loved the way the game sounded.
  • Mercenary Kings - I can't really say much about this one. It looks like an homage to Metal Slug and it has tons of crazy weapon unlocks and such. Therefore, it seems like a game that should be tailor made for me to love. That said, I have not been able to play past the first few areas, despite numerous attempts. Something about it just makes me bored, but I can't quite figure out what that something is.
#14 Posted by Marcsman (3239 posts) -

infamous Second Son is the best PS4 exclusive.

The Last of Us Remastered if you never played it

Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition

Assassin's Creed IV Black flag is good.

Resogun is a blast.

#15 Posted by Tyrrael (250 posts) -

Infamous: Second Son is a great game and is the graphical powerhouse of the console so far. It really does look phenomenal

Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of those games I actually wasn't planning on buying, but then I saw some reviews and gameplay, and it turned out to be fantastic.

Killzone: Shadow Fall has a much different pace than Wolfenstein but is still quite good. If you're into shooters, then pick it up.

Resogun is a phenomenal pick-up-and-play game that can be started and stopped at a moments notice, and you can have fun whether you decide to play it for 3 minutes or 3 hours at a time. The expansion is also pretty fun, and for 7 or 8 bucks, you can get all the future expansions too.

Call of Duty: Ghosts was pretty good in my opinion. If you're not that into CoD, then skip it. It won't change your mind. However, I actually thought the single player was rather enjoyable despite a lot of the hate it gets.

These are games I haven't played but plan on buying:

Transistor

Child of Light

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

All these games are games that I plan on buying, but with Destiny looming on the horizon, and me having limited funds, I decided to wait and not spend money on them yet.

#16 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

There's also the F2P stuff. Warframe is good and War Thunder is also good. Blacklight is okay if you want to shoot dudes in the face for a bit.

Being a broke ass gamer I pretty much stick to PS+ games and F2P stuff. Hopefully Planetside 2 shows up on PS4 soon...

#17 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

Check out Warframe. It's a pretty well made 3rd person action game with a great loot and crafting grind.

Diablo III for a fantasy loot grinder.

You can blow many hours playing loot grind games and having fun, as long as you are into that sort of thing.

Otherwise Wolfenstein and an AC game are good action game choices with tons of side quests. Wolfenstein has some fun alternate play modes you unlock through collectibles. Finding the collectibles is actually fun because the level designs are so good.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -

Get PS+. Even if you don't use it to play multiplayer, the free games more than make up for the cost.

#19 Posted by goonage (47 posts) -

Thanks for the advice! So after reading the suggestions and looking up some reviews, I'll probably buy The Last of Us first, then wait a bit until some more games come out and then decide the next one (Though I'm really on the fence with AC: Unity).

A LOT of people suggested that I get PS+, so I'll probably get that for a month and see if it's worth it.

Thanks!

#20 Posted by greedy_fly_x (6 posts) -

You're going to find the best stuff on PS Plus. Transistor, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are great games. Next month, PS Plus members are getting Velocity 2x for their free game of the month which looks insane.

Infamous was a good experience but I'm having the most fun I've had in a while playing through the Diablo III campaign on co-op.

The holiday season is going to be packed with third party titles as well...

#21 Posted by Shindig (547 posts) -

If you haven't played Fez its on PS Plus for the next week or so. Metro Redux is incoming, too on a budget price tag.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.