Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

So not entirely sure how all this video share stuff works.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So I remember Brad saying tap is share menu, double tap video, and hold is screenshot. My issue here is I'm not sure how the video portion of this works. Isn't it always supposed to be recording? So when I double tap is it starting a recording point? I've missed two decent moments in Battlefield tonight that I wanted to record because I don't have a grip on the video stuff yet.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

With my limited use of it so far; It's just a single tap as far as I know, and then it asks you "What do you want?" You can choose a 1080p screenshot, or 720p video. When you choose screenshot you get a shot of the screen still when you pressed the button (of course). When you choose "Video" it gives you a 15 minute clip of your previous gameplay, and I guess you edit that from there.

I'm going to work, so I won't be around to give any replies, hopefully other bombers can help you out with this.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By buneroid

When you double tap the share button it will save the last 15 minutes of whatever you were doing; even if you were just browsing the XMB (or whatever it's called now). Yes it is always recording. If you know you are going to do something cool and want it on video, double tap the share button so it will save the last 15 mins of footage, and then it will start a new recording point right from where the last one ended so you dont have to scroll all the way to the end of your 15 minute clip to find the cool part.

Also anytime you bring up the share menu by tapping it, it will also save the last 15 minutes of video automatically (and take a screenshot I think?).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My understanding is that it's a single tap. I foolishly took screenshots and assumed it does a video at the same time.

You can also change the settings once you're in the menu. Probably hit Options or something.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

@buneroid: this is actually not accurate.

I made a thread about it but I was considering doing a blog. I did some testing of my own and this is how ice seen it.

When you start a game the ps4 automatically starts to record. If you go past 15 minutes the video will save and restart to do another 15 minute loop. Now, when you press share and bring up the menu it cuts off the recording at that exact spot, say 8 minutes. But if you do not press share button before it gets to the 15 minute mark, no video footage will be made.

Now what the double tap does is create a starting point for your video. Let's say you've started battlefiled 4 and you are looking in the menus for a few minutes until you start playing. You can press share twice when the game begins and it will essentially get rid of all the footage before (in this case menu surfing) and begin it's 15 minute loop right when you double tap share. Then to save it's the same process, it'll save at 15 minutes or whenever you go into the share menu.

It's really kind of confusing and hard to explain but I hope that helps.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By musubi

I made a thread about it but I was considering doing a blog. I did some testing of my own and this is how ice seen it.

When you start a game the ps4 automatically starts to record. If you go past 15 minutes the video will save and restart to do another 15 minute loop. Now, when you press share and bring up the menu it cuts off the recording at that exact spot, say 8 minutes. But if you do not press share button before it gets to the 15 minute mark, no video footage will be made.

Now what the double tap does is create a starting point for your video. Let's say you've started battlefiled 4 and you are looking in the menus for a few minutes until you start playing. You can press share twice when the game begins and it will essentially get rid of all the footage before (in this case menu surfing) and begin it's 15 minute loop right when you double tap share. Then to save it's the same process, it'll save at 15 minutes or whenever you go into the share menu.

That actually makes sense and could be exactly why I lost the moments I had. I had a blasted double headshot with one bullet with a sniper rifle tonight! It was fantastic! Now it is lost to the void because I double tapped assuming it was going to "save" the last 15. So I guess what I should have done instead is tapped share to cut that video off at that point then post-match trimmed that file down. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@demoskinos: I literally did the exact thing you did. Something amazing happened in battlefield as it tends to do because it is battlefield! Anyway I double tapped expecting a save and nothing. Hence the reason I started experimenting and came up with the conclusion I said. Since then I have never had an issue.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, that seems like a wierd way to handle it but you seem to know more than I do about it :S

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cloudymusic

There have been multiple occasions where I've wanted to make a video clip of something that's just happened, so I push the Share button, but the clip that shows up ends at least a minute before where I'm currently at in the gameplay, so no footage of that particular moment is actually available. I've also had it work perfectly several times, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or why it doesn't always seem to work the same way every time.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There are also two settings for the share button, the default where one button press opens the menu, and"easy screenshots" where one button press just saves a screenshot.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Lord_Xp

Just throwing this out there, but you can change your Share Button settings. By this I mean you can edit that if you just tap the share button and that can take a screenshot or hold it down and it brings up the Share Button menu that you see all the time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I've been consistently baffled at the amount of times this thing has failed me. I had a great moment in AC4 multiplayer where I completely suckered a guy with my disguise ability in a fun way. Figured that would make for a fun 15 second clip. I press the share button to save the last 15 minutes aaaaaand the thumbnail of the clip looks like the video I want only when I go to edit it its footage from HOURS previously in the night where I had played single player for a bit.

Consistently still stumped at trying to get the random moments that will pop up that I want to retroactively grab. I've gotten it to work a few times successfully but still this thing seems to not be working the way it was intended to.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time in a few months, I gave this a shot. It saved a proper video once, the next day it recorded something from an hour ago.

Is this still buggy? Or am I seriously an idiot? Seems completely unreliable to me and I'm wondering if anything was discovered since launch. I'm gonna have some cool Infamous battles to save, dammit.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shared several game glitches with no problem. So I think it works.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker: Are you just hitting the Share button once? And you get a video clip saved each time?

I just did the Rebuild Database thing, wondering if that'll help.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Yeah I just hit hit once and click and click share video, then I edit it so I can get what I needed. Each time I tried it I had the video there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.