So, sixaxis is gone, right?

#1 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I'm assuming it is because it hasn't been mentioned, but have they straight out said that there will be no more sixaxis capabilities? If this is the case, do you care?

Oh, and if its gone, I wonder how they would handle games with sixaxis when they add ps3 games to the psn store (assuming they do)

#2 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: I recall Jeff saying that in Drive Club you'll be able to steer by tilting the controller, so there's some sixaxis business going on inside that thing.

#3 Edited by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

Those gyros and shit are dirt cheep these days, I'm sure they are in there. I think it just wasn't worth mentioning.

Confirmed:

DUALSHOCK®4 incorporates a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor, as well as a touch pad located on the front of the controller, which offers gamers completely new ways to play and interact with games.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221b_e.html

#4 Posted by EVO (3780 posts) -

Isn't that light bar essentially the same thing?

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

I can't remember the last game that actually used sixaxis... Did Killzone 3?

#6 Posted by John1912 (1742 posts) -

Sounds like there is something that does the same thing, but it may no longer be "sixaxis"

#7 Edited by MB (11297 posts) -

Of course the new controller is six-axis compatible...how else do you expect Sony to re-sell you all your old games over PSN again on the new console?

#8 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@evo: no, not really. It's just a bright ass light that the camera uses to track position in a space, though they continue to claim that it's for "visual feedback." Both Move and the controllers need the gyroscopes and accelerometer to actually calculate the majority of movement.

@liquidprince: yep, arming the explosives in both 2 and 3 required it.

#9 Edited by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

You need sixaxis for Killzone to get pass missions outside of that fuck I know LOL ^__^

#10 Edited by Snail (8468 posts) -
@nekusakuraba said:

Oh, and if its gone, I wonder how they would handle games with sixaxis when they add ps3 games to the psn store (assuming they do)

I'm not sure they will. Backwards compatibility really isn't being the focus here.

Other than Flower I'm not coming up with a case when lack of Sixaxis might be an issue though. In most cases Sixaxis implementation seems to be optional, but more importantly Flower is most likely the only game where any sane person would ever want to use Sixaxis. And maybe the new controller is still capable of motion controls via interaction between the light between the triggers and the camera - like a move controller.

#11 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@snail said:

Other than Flower I'm not coming up with a case when lack of Sixaxis might be an issue though.

Lair... :P

But yeah, not surprising that six-axis is still gonna be around.

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

Is it weird that I'm kind of glad it's still around? I feel like no one ever really gave it a chance.

#13 Posted by illegalnull (109 posts) -

Sony says they've "incorporated a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor", so it sounds like they're upgrading it?!

Actually, I find the Vita/Move has a way better motion sensor feel than the DualShock3. Since the design was specced back in 2006 for the DualShock3, its due for an upgrade.

Click on the "Controller" at the URL below:

http://us.playstation.com/PS4/

#14 Posted by Eujin (1293 posts) -

The Move controller used a much more advanced gyroscope than the six-axis, and it is pretty much the most accurate motion controller that currently exists. If the new controller uses that, or an even more advanced version of the six-axis gyroscope, then it'll probably be pretty decent.

Whether it'll be used for anything decent is totally up in the air.

#15 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Well they have to act as Move controllers somehow.

#16 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

I believe there is some kind of motion-sensing, hence the inclusion of the Playstation 4 Eye. Hopefully they find some use for it other than mini-games and quick time gimmicks.

#17 Edited by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

They are cheap so I wouldn't be surprised if they're still in. As well I can see the light on the back + the new eye toy being able to do this feature without gyros etc. Maybe even add to that with depth (think flying a airplane having to pull back the controller and steer with it like that).

#18 Posted by Pr1mus (3512 posts) -

I can't remember the last game that actually used sixaxis... Did Killzone 3?

Journey used it. Initially they wanted to make the whole game control only through sixaxis.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.