Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

So, think they'll charge for online this time?

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I feel that playing multiplayer will be free as always, but to make use of the streaming/ sharing functionality and maybe even the background downloads will be put behind the pay wall of Playstation Plus. Sound reasonable to you?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Kerned

I think you are exactly right.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I doubt they will need to if they keep that instant game collection initiative going, I think the thing stopping a lot of people buying a Playstation Plus subscription right now is that they already have a game collection so it seems less worth it, when people are picking up a ps4 and have no games getting PS+ with a bunch of free games would look really tempting.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikey87144

I think that's what they'll do also. I think the streaming stuff will also stay the same. They know that more people use the PS3 instead of the Xbox for streaming because it isn't kept behind a paywall.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so to be honest, ustream is free, saving video clips would be on PS4 HD, and uploading video/screenshots unless it was to a sony social hud would be free as well.

I don't think Sony would try and push the pay-content so soon, I suggest looking for that sort of stuff right before launch or shortly afterwards.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

I think it is inevitable.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a 100% certainty.

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope not. I certainly hope they don't start charing for multiplayer or randomly gating services we already pay for like Netflix.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

If the service is WORTH IT, why shouldn't we accept paying, because of principles? We pay for all sorts of stuff related to our gaming hobbies.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they will. Microsoft made a lot of money off of XBL, and it costs money to create and maintain a fast/stable online service.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I think your core online multiplayer will remain free. All the other bells and whistles will be put behind the PS+ service. Especially the Gaikai streaming function. For those wanting to play BC games on the PS4 you will pay a monthly fee.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By pr1mus

What's free right now will remain free.

The vast majority of new features will be PS+. This is the Giant Bomb model.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

If the new stuff is under PS+ but they keep the ridiculous quality/value of PS+ then I really don't care, because I'd be signed up for it anyway. As really almost anybody who has either a Vita or PS3 [for games] already should be.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely will. They see how much MS rakes in and they want a piece of that pie.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They probably will, I just hope that they do it well.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem paying for service like a "cloud storage" as long as it is completely optional (ie. no game/software requires it). Paying for online access is not something I am willing to pay.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

It would be kind of a bummer, but at the same time, I already subscribe to PSN Plus and love it, so if they keep the same stuff that comes with Plus on the PS4 and it just moves MP behind the pay wall, I'm fine with it for the most part. I don't play much online anyway, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18 MattyFTM  Moderator

Considering the speculation, if Sony had decided 100% that multiplayer would be free, they would have announced it at the conference. It would have been good press. No reason not to announce it if it was the case. So that leaves two options:

• They've decided to charge for multiplayer and are waiting to announce it.
    • The decision hasn't been made and is in flux

I suspect it's the latter, and that ultimately they'll err on the side of caution and announce free multiplayer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.