Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

So what's the next big "thing" on the horizon?

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So we have played some launch games and they play like well, launch games. What are the next games in the future we should be looking forward to playing. Right now all I see is Infamous: Second Son and while that seems great and I will be happy to give that a shot I am curious what else people want to play in the near future.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Infamous, Driveclub, Destiny, The Order 1886 (might not be the right year) and Watch Dogs are the only ones that spring to mind.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@taunt: I think at this point as a PS4 buyer I think you're just betting on whatever Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch produce as being the primary reasons to buy the console (unless the graphical differences between XBONE and PS4 become radically more pronounced over time). And maybe God of War or a new Little Big Planet or something like that.

Personally, I don't have a PS4 yet, but new inFamous and Uncharted and potentially another Last of Us game are pretty much all I need to get me on board that platform when those games start hitting.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There is also The Division, but that might not come out until 2015.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

driveclub, infamous second son, the order 1886, losts of ideies (tranzistor, witness, etc..), Destiny, Witcher 3, Theief, Dragon Age, The Division, the new AC game

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By tread311

The PS4 feels like the 360 did at launch. Cheaper and in position to better execute third party titles. If it continues to better handle third party content than for me the PS4 is the choice. Personally I'm looking forward to next years MLB game in March.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli

Chronologically off the top of my head - Planetside 2, Thief, Infamous: Second Son, Diablo 3 & Expansion, Watchdogs, Elder Scrolls Online, The Witcher 3, Destiny, Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. Maybe Tomb Raider Definitive Edition in January. The Division, whenever that comes out. Also - there's a shit ton of awesome indie games coming soon, like Transistor.

I'd also not bet against some of the most successful Kickstarter games coming to these new consoles, with how self-publishing is now a thing. I mean if Obsidian has the scratch to port Pillars of Eternity, why wouldn't they release it on PS4 and Xbox One? They'd leave crazy money on the table, especially if they manage to release before the first wave of RPG hits for these systems.

The release schedules are still pretty much empty for the latter half of 2014. There's gotta be loads of games hitting Holidays 2014. E3 is going to be a bloodbath this year. Console Wars Phase 2 - The Games!

Bez__o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping they get Gaikai running within the next year. Sold my 360 and my PS3 broke, I missed out on TLOU and GTA V. Hope I have the opportunity to play them soon.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexanderSheen

*zip*

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

inFamous: Second Son (March 21, 2014) and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (March 18, 2014) are the only next "big" things in the horizon. Nothing else has a release date announced. March is actually the time to buy either console as they get their first big releases.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By cloudymusic

Depends on what you care about, but PS4 games in the first half of 2014 that I'm personally looking forward to:

Beyond Q2, there are other games I'm really looking forward to like The Witcher 3, Gran Turismo 7, MGS V, Final Fantasy XV, etc (not to mention the large amount of indie games that we'll undoubtedly be seeing) so there's lots to look forward to. Just like with the 360 and PS3, the great games are coming.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think this is a pretty good list, I removed teh exact day for some since...who know things might get shifted.

GAMES WITH FIRM-ISH DATES
    Tomb Raider Definitive Version Crystal Dynamics Jan-2014

Don't Starve Klei Entertainment Jan-2014

Thief Square-Enix Feb-2014

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Techmo Koei Feb-2014

Final Fantasy XIV Square Enix Mar- 2014

Infamous: Second Son Sucker Punch Mar 2014

Secret Ponchos Switchblade Monkeys Apr-2014

Amazing Spiderman 2 Activision Blizzard May-2014

Watch Dogs UbiSoft Montreal April-June 2014

SOMETIME EARLY 2014 FOR THESE OTHERS
    Bound by Flame Spider's Games

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments Frogwares Studio

TowerFall Ascension IndieHouse

Dragon Age Inquisition BioWare

Rayman Legends Ubisoft

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Nicalis Spring 2014

The Crew Ubisoft Reflections Spring 2014

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Kojima Productions Spring 2014

MLB 14 The Show SCE San Diego Spring 2014

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By superfriend

InFamous.

The only thing you need. There might be some other stuff out next year though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Im excited for January. Dont Starve is going to be on PS+ granted I could go play the steam version right now but something about playing on PS4 has me all excited.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Other than Infamous, I'm pretty sure Destiny and Watch Dogs should come out next year. Hopefully they won't be delayed, but with those game I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm actually hoping there are some games yet to be announced in the works, because the release dates for all of the other stuff like The witcher 3, the division, kingdom hearts 3, final fantasy 15, the order 1886 and Metal gear solid 5 are up in the air. I hope we can at least play some of these games sometime next year.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#16  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm hoping to end up with a PS4 sometime this Spring. I figure with both Infamous: Second Son, and MLB The Show 14...that'll give me plenty of things to play.

Although, I'm most looking forward to SOF Studios new Socom-esque game, "H-Hour." That's January 2015 at the earliest though...

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Master_Funk

Infamous and The Order look like the two major first party titles of 2014 , unless uncharted somehow comes out too. Also the rumoured space game from sony santa monica. Best first party lineup by far.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm waiting for Watch Dogs and MGS V. Whatever the new Uncharted turns out to be should be interesting. At this point I'm down for pretty much anything Naughty Dog does at this point.

The Division looks pretty cool too, but I have no idea what that will even be, and it probably won't be something I would want to play on consoles anyway (same for Watch Dogs now that I think of it assuming the PC ports aren't busted to all hell.)

Other than that (barring anything that hasn't been seen/announced yet) I don't really see much I'd be into with the new consoles. I'll probably end up buying one around this time next year, or possibly in early.mid 2015 assuming there isn't anything crazy that comes out between then and now that I need to play.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Today I was at the store and they finally had some PS4's in stock (good job on launching before you were ready console manufacturers!) and initially I got excited, but then I realized there are no games I want to play on it now and I have no idea when stuff like Tom Clancy's The Division or Watch Dogs are actually coming out. So after weeks of looking everywhere to get one of these I just walked out completely indifferent to it.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully they announce some killer stuff at E3, Xbox already has a fair amount of interesting exclusives set for 2014.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as someone who has both consoles but has chosen to play 3rd party games on the XBOX One, Infamous: Second Son is really the only game scheduled for the near future for the PS4 that is of any interest. Driveclub seems kind of cool, but who knows when that will be coming out. Same for The Order: 1886. I guess the new baseball game might be a big deal for some.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me it's Infamous, Transistor, The Witness, and Uncharted.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969:

Don't Starve comes out in 2 days. It'll be added on the 24th of December, and be free for PS+ players.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I'm in it for Destiny, and I'll probably try Diablo III now that they've decided to release a version worth spending money on.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TaunT

So Don't Starve is the next PS+ free game offering. Do we know if Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil edition comes out along with the expansion pack?

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im really excited for the new Infamous game and Metal gear solid 5 on ps4. I also cannot wait till the Witcher 3 comes out but Im not sure if I will play it on ps4 or pc.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

I'd also not bet against some of the most successful Kickstarter games coming to these new consoles, with how self-publishing is now a thing. I mean if Obsidian has the scratch to port Pillars of Eternity, why wouldn't they release it on PS4 and Xbox One? They'd leave crazy money on the table, especially if they manage to release before the first wave of RPG hits for these systems.

Obsidian has already said on their official forums they have no plans to release Eternity on any console or mobile. PC/Mac/Linux only. Their reasoning being that the game is designed from the group up for keyboard and mouse and would be too hard to get working on a controller, and even if they did get it going on a controller it would play like crap.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By fobwashed

I'm looking forward to eventually getting my hands on that new Blow game The Witness. It looks interesting.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glots

@seppli said:

@monkeyking1969:

Don't Starve comes out in 2 days. It'll be added on the 24th of December, and be free for PS+ players.

Looking at Twitter, I'm afraid we'll still be waiting 'till January. 7th for NA, 9th for EU to be exact. I could've used both that and Mercenary Kings for holidays, but no can do I guess.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Netflix is pretty good you guys.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#32  Edited By sammo21

I am excited for Thief 4 but I have a slight, sinking feeling that the game is going to be kind of bad thanks to how long its been in development and the rumors of it being troubled for a while. After that there is inFamous: Second Son.

I personally don't need a new video game every few weeks like some people apparently do. I have been playing a metric ton of Battlefield 4 and there are still other games to finish and play more. I also have a social life and I am married so I don't have countless days to do nothing but play video games. If I had such free time, or no job, then I would also have a lack of funds for so many video games and I would be in the same situation.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli

@karkarov said:

@seppli said:

Obsidian has already said on their official forums they have no plans to release Eternity on any console or mobile. PC/Mac/Linux only. Their reasoning being that the game is designed from the group up for keyboard and mouse and would be too hard to get working on a controller, and even if they did get it going on a controller it would play like crap.

Sounds more like pandering to the PC blowhards to me, and like a lack of imagination. Ever used the gyroscopic virtual mousepointer for typing in messages on PS4 (push R3 when the virtual keyboard comes up)? I can imagine CRPG controlschemes working perfectly with that. Change characters with L1/R1. Hold down L2/R2 for extensive commands list. Use gyroscopic mousepointer to issue commands. Or whatever. There are not only ways for it to be done, there are good ways.

Why CRPGs shouldn't work on a Dualshock 4 - I don't know. It's defeatism to say it can't be done well. Lazy.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Sounds more like pandering to the PC blowhards to me, and like a lack of imagination. Ever used the gyroscopic virtual mousepointer for typing in messages on PS4 (push R3 when the virtual keyboard comes up)? I can imagine CRPG controlschemes working perfectly with that. Change characters with L1/R1. Hold down L2/R2 for extensive commands list. Use gyroscopic mousepointer to issue commands. Or whatever. There are not only ways for it to be done, there are good ways.

Why CRPGs shouldn't work on a Dualshock 4 - I don't know. It's defeatism to say it can't be done well. Lazy.

You could be right. I won't even go into it other than to say there are some seriously hard core niche/letists on their forums for Eternity that would literally flame you to death for just insinuating PS4 could play the game. A guy made a post suggesting it as a stretch goal and the next 10 posts weren't too pretty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.