Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Issues statement on 5.5GB rumor

• 151 results
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@mcfart said:

The only reason that kinda bothers me is because MS will likely be much more efficient with the Xbone, probably giving ~6.5GB to games on the offset (since they are experienced with developing software).

Oh well, 4.5gb is still more then 256MB.

Again, Sony managed to get the OS on the PS3 down to 50MB from 120MB at launch, they're not using college interns here, they have skilled software engineers working on this stuff, both companies will squeeze as much as they can out of system resources over the life of the consoles.

The Apocalypse is cancelled.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@krakn3dfx: we aren't gaf. We don't flip out over this stuff. And I think both systems will cut down the OS footprint before release.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@krakn3dfx: we aren't gaf. We don't flip out over this stuff. And I think both systems will cut down the OS footprint before release.

someone's gotta spin this stuff positively for sony.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117: you mean that Sony needs space for their OS system? How is that bad? It means hopefully it won't be crap.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#105  Edited By Sergio

@mcfart: I think this is absurd. Sony has primarily been an electronics company in the past, but that doesn't mean they don't have experience developing software. They didn't just take the guy who designs TVs and told him to program the OS for PS4. Any company can hire skilled software engineers.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sergio said:

@mcfart: I think this is absurd. Sony has primarily been an electronics company in the past, but that doesn't mean they don't have experience developing software. They didn't just take the guy who designs TVs and told him to program the OS for PS4. Any company can hire skilled software engineers.

Yes, but when it comes to developing for X86, nobody can deny that MS probably has the best people out there. Plus, MS is making the OS similier to Windows. I just can't see Sony winning this RAM battle.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By jimmyfenix

@mcfart said:

@sergio said:

Yes, but when it comes to developing for X86, nobody can deny that MS probably has the best people out there. Plus, MS is making the OS similier to Windows. I just can't see Sony winning this RAM battle.

I think sony will be fine. Look what they did this gen with only 256 ram. Uncharted and the last of us. Sony still has the more processing power but since it is both x86 things should be even except the DX11 hurdle that sony will need to face.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Syed117

@syed117: you mean that Sony needs space for their OS system? How is that bad? It means hopefully it won't be crap.

No no. I dont think this is a big deal We never knew how much ram the PS4 OS was going to use. People assumed that it would only take 1gb and leave 7gb for games. No one knows where that came from.

It's just the internet being the internet. This kind of stuff really doesn't matter. Especially since the XB1 is only using a little less according to what has gotten out there.

You're going to have people trashing the PS4 because of this and you'll have the sony defense force jumping in to defend their lord and savior Sony at any cost. Both groups are foolish.

We've already see which giantbomb members are on which side. I'll give you a hint, the sony ones usually win out because they constantly go to the xbox forum and create topics just to explain how terrible the xbox one and microsoft are. The microsoft guys tend to stay on their own side.

The only real fact to take away from this seems to be that the PS4 has baseline ram allotment of 4.5GB that developers can use. That flexible 1gb nonsense seems like nothing but that, nonsense. Saying that the OS will have to allow the extra ram to be used is a bit ridiculous. How exactly do you force the OS to give up extra ram? I guess that's why the article clearly says that it will be difficult to use. I wouldn't expect third parties to make use of it. First parties absolutely.

I think it's safe to assume that this won't be the last bombshell to rattle the internet babies cages. Oh well, can't wait for gamescom and then November

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games on PC dont even use 4GB of RAM half the time, I dont get why people are getting soo jumpy.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have faith in our Lord and Savior Mark Cerny, that he will fix this issue and add more RAM in the later times of the Ps4's life cycle.

Ps4 Launch Console is not equal to the rest of Ps4's life cycle. As previous console's have shown, is that console's evolve over time and improve more and more. This problem will barely be remembered 6 months to a year after launch I bet.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Syed117

@lord_xp: you can't just "Add more ram" to a console

That's called a PC

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sasnake said:

Games on PC dont even use 4GB of RAM half the time, I dont get why people are getting soo jumpy.

That's probably because they were developed with consoles in mind. I think even when they are PC exclusive games they have to keep the ram need low for more coverage of computer specs.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117: You could make it possible to make the OS use less ram and giving that ram to the game. That's later on though.

I apologize by saying "Add more RAM" Not what I meant.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Sergio

@mcfart said:

@sergio said:

I can deny that. There are a lot of great developers who don't work for Microsoft. That doesn't mean that they don't have great software engineers also, but I would never say they have the best. If they did, we wouldn't have gone through generations of blue screens. Heck, even current Windows has its issues, even if you don't see those blue screens anymore.

Considering nothing has been confirmed regarding this rumor yet, having proven better RAM, I can easily see Sony still having the edge in terms of RAM.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@scampbell: streaming games/video as well as redcording. Id say it only uses that much doing something like remote play on a vita across wifi.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@xyzygy said:

So when the X1 was revealed to use 3 gigs for OS, people shitted on that. Now when the PS4 needs 3.5, people don't care? WTF Internet?

GDDR5 is suppose to be way better or something than DDR3 from what I gather, that's one of the reasons of the uproar over MS using that much.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Big'ass theory #2:

A constantly rolling 15 minute looping recording would be murder on HD life and performance. So it goes into RAM instead.

While that may be a possibility, DVRs already do this with hard drives. A TiVo keeps a 30-minute buffer of live programming per tuner. My TiVo Premier has 4 tuners, so it's constantly buffering at least 2 hours of programming, with the capability of playing back a previously recorded program at the same time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By LiquidPrince

This is not a big deal.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen: I was thinking Unix, but I guess by that context OS X is just as close as Linux.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benny said:

do games use more than 4gb? seems like a non issue.

That's not really a valid metric to work from. Each game is different and on top of that most games in the PC space up until now have been 32bit applications which limits them to 4GB's of addressable memory.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC devs would kill to be able to have a guaranteed 4.5 to 5.5 gig minimum of RAM and VRAM to work with.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Waffles13
    No Caption Provided

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Devildoll

Remember, 3,5 GB is reserved for everything except gaming.

The operating system isn't using 3,5 GB constantly, it is just keeping it reserved for that time a fool wants to use facebook, and stuff.

@aspaceinvader said:

@humanity said:

Who cares

it still plays games right?

exactly

what games though, crysis 4 or pong?

in all seriousness, i think 8 GB's for games is a lot.
    Most games on pc are still 32 bit, ( even fucking BF3! ) and cant eat more than 2 GB by themselves.

i'm not sure these console have the horsepower to render out a scene with 8 GB's worth of assets anyway.
    They should know what they are doing by this point, i doubt, and really hope that they haven't under dimensioned the ram this time around.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The operating system isn't using 3,5 GB constantly, it is just keeping it reserved for that time a fool wants to use facebook, and stuff.

@aspaceinvader said:

@humanity said:

Who cares

exactly

in all seriousness, i think 8 GB's for games is a lot.Most games on pc are still 32 bit, ( even fucking BF3! ) and cant eat more than 2 GB by themselves.

i'm not sure these console have the horsepower to render out a scene with 8 GB's worth of assets anyway.

They should know what they are doing by this point, i doubt, and really hope that they haven't under dimensioned the ram this time around.

I will link this again for emphasis and you are correct in saying 6-7g of rams is unneeded, at least for the next 4 years at the very lease. Just so people can get some perspective, the last of us's Joel model are made to work with only 5m of ram! Fucking incredible those guys at naughty dogs.

I feel like social media will someday destroy us all. After E3 and this pre-console launch thing, I finally understand why the governing bodies of the world keep as much secret as they do. A singular human is smart but human as a race is incredibly stupid.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a update on Eurogamer saying the Flex ram is 512 Mb.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@devildoll said:

@aspaceinvader said:

@humanity said:

Who cares

exactly

in all seriousness, i think 8 GB's for games is a lot.Most games on pc are still 32 bit, ( even fucking BF3! ) and cant eat more than 2 GB by themselves.

I will link this again for emphasis and you are correct in saying 6-7g of rams is unneeded, at least for the next 4 years at the very lease. Just so people can get some perspective, the last of us's Joel model are made to work with only 5m of ram! Fucking incredible those guys at naughty dogs.

I feel like social media will someday destroy us all. After E3 and this pre-console launch thing, I finally understand why the governing bodies of the world keep as much secret as they do. A singular human is smart but human as a race is incredibly stupid.

Since last gen consoles were able to run Crysis 4 I assume next gen ones will too, although I know you were joking.

The whole issue is that people are getting really riled about about how much ram, how many cycles, how much memory, how many transistors these things might have but it's a console so it really doesn't matter. If I was buying a new PC I'd be really specific about what parts I'd purchase because I know PC games continue evolving and the system I buy today might not run games very well in 5 years. When I buy a PS4 today, not only will it always run games games that come out for it, but it will probably run games even better in 5 years than it does now as developers get familiar with the system architecture. Essentially I don't have to care what is inside of it - and since it will never evolve on a hardware level, dissecting what hardware is inside it and comparing it to PC's is pointless.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Since last gen consoles were able to run Crysis 4 I assume next gen ones will too, although I know you were joking.

The whole issue is that people are getting really riled about about how much ram, how many cycles, how much memory, how many transistors these things might have but it's a console so it really doesn't matter. If I was buying a new PC I'd be really specific about what parts I'd purchase because I know PC games continue evolving and the system I buy today might not run games very well in 5 years. When I buy a PS4 today, not only will it always run games games that come out for it, but it will probably run games even better in 5 years than it does now as developers get familiar with the system architecture. Essentially I don't have to care what is inside of it - and since it will never evolve on a hardware level, dissecting what hardware is inside it and comparing it to PC's is pointless.

Next gen systems have SO much more ram anyways. This again is mostly about the " Ha ha PS4 has so much more ram" thing being smacked down a bit. Nothing more.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Well at this point a very clear line has been drawn where if the XBO has less ram then it's "haha it's so much weaker GG Micro$oft c u next generation" but when it happens to the PS4 then it's "well you don't REALLY even need all that ram anyway!"

Console launches bring out the worst in people.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#130  Edited By Deranged

@humanity said:

Unfortunately.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

@humanity said:

Unfortunately.

But it makes twitter awesome.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Devildoll

@humanity: what? crysis 4 has been released? i must have missed that.

The amount of ram a ps3 has compared to a ps2 is about 12 x, and ps3 to ps4 it's 14x.
    Although, its been a longer wait, so its pretty much on track.

If we take whats available to games, which is 462 MB vs 4,5 GB , its about 10x, so not to shabby, especially depending on what games will actually use, 4.5 , 5 or 5.5.
    And taking into account that the ps3 initially only had 392 MB available for games at launch, hopefully sony will be able to make some adjustments on the ps4 as well.

comparing specs vs pc's isnt totally pointless, better is always better.
    The difference is that the games will be tailored around the ps4 no matter what it is, as opposed to people tailoring pc's around the games.

I'd rather have 5 years of nice looking games than 5 years of okay looking games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The XBOX ONE uses 3 GB of ist 8 GB of DDR3. Sony gives you 4.5 GB of faster RAM and XB gives you 5 GB of slower RAM. It all comes out in the wash because 4 or 5 GB of RAM is fine for a console. Those folks blowing up over this obviously don't realize that the OS of a system take up 'some' room and has done so since the 32 bit era.

Also, keep in mind that the amount the OS uses can change. Sony or MS might find that it can slim down it OS, or they might find efficiencies so the OS does more but does not require more RAM.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: It's decent of ram now, but these consoles will be around for nearly a decade. 7 was more future-proof than 4.5.

Sony were playing up that 'we're all about the gamer' garbage, while nearly half of the memory your paying for is being used up for OS and not games. Microsoft were using 3 gigs for their multi OS and people were wondering if they had forgotten that they were a games console first. Sony seemed like they were doing it the right way, and now -- nope.

What happened to that stuff about developers telling them that they needed 8gb when they weren't sure if they were going to go with 4 or 8?

There is no way those developers saw an OS eating 3.5 gigs of 4 total, so an OS of that size couldn't have been a factor when they were requesting 8.

So all that listening Sony did lasted about 6 months until they decided the front-end was more important than the games?

It seems like they saw MS using 5 and said, 'We only need to match that. It's more important to future-proof the OS than the games so we can match whatever MS do there.'

Which is the opposite of what I want and is the opposite of the image they tried to portray.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By jimmyfenix

@the_laughing_man:

It's decent of ram now, but these consoles will be around for nearly a decade. 7 was more future-proof than 4.5.

Sony were playing up that 'we're all about the gamer' garbage, while nearly half of the memory your paying for is being used up for OS and not games. Microsoft were using 3 gigs for their multi OS and people were wondering if they had forgotten that they were a games console first. Sony seemed like they were doing it the right way, and now -- nope.

What happened to that stuff about developers telling them that they needed 8gb when they weren't sure if they were going to go with 4 or 8?

There is no way those developers saw an OS eating 3.5 gigs of 4 total, so an OS of that size couldn't have been a factor when they were requesting 8.

So all that listening Sony did lasted about 6 months until they decided the front-end was more important than the games?

It seems like they saw MS using 5 and said, 'We only need to match that. It's more important to future-proof the OS than the games so we can match whatever MS do there.'

Which is the opposite of what I want and is the opposite of the image they tried to portray.

In truth out of the 140 million people who bought current gen care about ram and specifics ?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@explodemode said:

@the_laughing_man:

It's decent of ram now, but these consoles will be around for nearly a decade. 7 was more future-proof than 4.5.

In truth out of the 140 million people who bought current gen care about ram and specifics ?

Apparently all of Neogaf.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: I'm not talking about other people or whether it's the right move. Honestly future-proofing your OS is probably really smart and more people seem to care about that than I do. I'm only talking about me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: what? crysis 4 has been released? i must have missed that.

The amount of ram a ps3 has compared to a ps2 is about 12 x, and ps3 to ps4 it's 14x.

Although, its been a longer wait, so its pretty much on track.

If we take whats available to games, which is 462 MB vs 4,5 GB , its about 10x, so not to shabby, especially depending on what games will actually use, 4.5 , 5 or 5.5.

And taking into account that the ps3 initially only had 392 MB available for games at launch, hopefully sony will be able to make some adjustments on the ps4 as well.

comparing specs vs pc's isnt totally pointless, better is always better.

The difference is that the games will be tailored around the ps4 no matter what it is, as opposed to people tailoring pc's around the games.

I'd rather have 5 years of nice looking games than 5 years of okay looking games.

I guess it's just because all Crysis games look the same that I forgot 3 was the last one.

Seeing as a lot of PS3/360 games looked pretty damn good for their specs, I think the next generation will look more than O-K. Although at this point I'm so exhausted by this current generation that I'm leaning more towards better gameplay than flashy graphics. Killzone might look nice but it looks like any other game from this generation, just more flash on the screen, and that is not doing it for me anymore.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony issued a statement. which is stated in my original post.

It proves none of us know what the hell we are talking about!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: Well I was going to get a PS4 but now that I know it's such a festering, slow, piece of trash I guess I'll wait for the inevitable Phantom release instead.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@jimmyfenix: Well I was going to get a PS4 but now that I know it's such a festering, slow, piece of trash I guess I'll wait for the inevitable Phantom release instead.

Both systems have a Atari JAGUAR processor which means it will suck! im waiting for the sega pluto myself.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Both systems have a Atari JAGUAR processor which means it will suck! im waiting for the sega pluto myself.

Or you could always be a PC holdout

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Syed117

November can't come soon enough. Just want those two black boxes under my TV so the speculation can end and the next generation can begin.

Hopefully we will get some interesting news from gamescom.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jimmyfenix

@syed117 said:

November can't come soon enough. Just want those two black boxes under my TV so the speculation can end and the next generation can begin.

I think Sony might release it in October i just have that feeling. Its going to be a great couple of months!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Darji

Interesting that they never answered the how much ram question but according to some gaf specialistsit is 6 GB for ram + the 512 extra one. This sounds also way more plausible^^

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By shinjin977

@darji said:

Interesting that they never answered the how much ram question but according to some gaf specialistsit is 6 GB for ram + the 512 extra one. This sounds also way more plausible^^

I will say this, tune in for Gamescom. Heard a lot of exciting thing about that, from both sides. If they are going to announce ram usage or whatever. The info will come out then.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you people dont think you use 100% of your 8gb just for games on your pc? Steam uses at least 1.5 gbs and i bet you run that when you are playing games.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Play...the...game...

Reigi was right. Console OS doesn't mean a thing.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117 said:

I think Sony might release it in October i just have that feeling. Its going to be a great couple of months!

I just hope we get dates for both consoles at gamescom. Too many weird rumors flying around. Microsoft has said November, but Sony has only said "holiday." I don't think October really classifies as holiday. They might drop a huge bomb at gamescom with an early release, but I don't see it happening.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#150  Edited By Rowr

remember that time when they were only putting 6 gigs of ram in...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.