Sony Japan Press Conference Thread (Happening Tonight!)

#1 Edited by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

Tonight Sony Japan is holding their pre-TGS press conference, where they are saying they will bring "...the news you've been waiting for..."

Interestingly, Sony will be providing an English translation stream which you can view here. (Tried to embed into the post but Giant Bomb's message board doesn't seem to like Ustream)

I find this interesting because I seem to recall they didn't do an English stream last year, so by them doing one this year they must want to talk to the whole world in addition to Japan.

The presentation is scheduled to begin at 11pm San Francisco Time (3pm tomorrow Japan time) so adjust time accordingly.

(Hopefully the camera work will be better, then the Gamescom one.)

#2 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

The Last Guardian? ...Please.

(7am UK time)

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

I'll try and watch. 1AM CST... O_o

#4 Posted by csl316 (7344 posts) -

What are the TGS dates this year?

#5 Posted by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

@csl316: Actual TGS is the 19th - 22nd. With the last two days being public days.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

So that'd be 2AM Eastern, eh?

#7 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2140 posts) -

"the news you've been waiting for" and "beyond your expectations." Bold claims there, Sony. Hope you aren't setting yourselves up for a massive disappointment.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

If I remember to watch it I will watch it.

#9 Posted by Asmo917 (356 posts) -

With it being at 2 am Eastern the only way I'll be able to watch is if my usual Sunday night insomnia kicks in. So while I'd be happy to wait until the morning...I'll probably be watching. Dammit.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (20542 posts) -

"the news you've been waiting for" and "beyond your expectations." Bold claims there, Sony. Hope you aren't setting yourselves up for a massive disappointment.

Sony Computer Entertainment Presents:

The long-awaited sequel to C-12 Final Resistance!

#11 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@hitchenson: YES or maybe a western release of the new YAKUZA. A man can dream...........

#12 Edited by Pie (6934 posts) -

This is just going to be the Japanese release date right?

#13 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@pie: Most likely yes but sources have said that a new Yakuza game and other titles will be shown off.

#14 Posted by SaFt (372 posts) -

I just hope they actually show something interesting this time around. E3 and Gamescom were kind of dull.

I know this is a Japan thing but it would be nice with some Yakuza 5 new for us!

#15 Posted by Damodar (1155 posts) -

THE NEWS YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! HOME FOR PLAYSTATION 4!

#16 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2140 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@turtlebird95 said:

#17 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

@pie: Most likely yes but sources have said that a new Yakuza game and other titles will be shown off.

Ts Yakuza Isshin and is set I think near the end of the Edo period and he will have a sword and a gun. Otherwise it will be really interesting what they will be showing tomorrow. WE will get the Japanese launch date for sure and maybe the Oculus rift like device rumors are true as well. As for games. I somehow doubt it since they also will have a TGS conference so do not expect that much gaming news^^

#18 Posted by Seppli (9729 posts) -

8:00 CET. I'll be up. I'll be watching. Talk about a waking up to good news. That and this delicious fig jam I've recently discovered. Butter up a toast. Put a rich helping of the stuff on top. Fill my mug with hot coffee. And I'm good to go.

#19 Edited by Seppli (9729 posts) -

Oh, a rich helping of Deep Down gameplay would make the day complete.

#20 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@turtlebird95 said:

That game had such promise :(

#21 Posted by Yummylee (20542 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

@yummylee said:
@turtlebird95 said:

That game had such promise :(

Well, I certainly enjoyed it anyway. Though I was also, like, 12 at the time so... my standards must have assuredly been a lot lower :P

#22 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

@yummylee: exact same! i do remember there being some mad twist where you got turned into one of the aliens, but it happened over the course of 5 seconds during what seemed like a missing cutscene at the time.

Was massively hyped before it came out and it was certainly good fun - but not the barnstormer the press had me believe it was.

damned marketing

#23 Posted by Morningstar (2042 posts) -

Unless they reveal Persona 5 is coming for Ps4 at launch it's not the news I've been waiting for.

#24 Edited by narujoe93 (2421 posts) -

Ill try to watch it, as Im still very looking foward to the last guardian (a lot of people have stopped caring, but I still do :) )

If not, Ill just read the news on kotaku in the morning

#25 Posted by pyrodactyl (1639 posts) -

Unless they reveal Persona 5 is coming for Ps4 at launch it's not the news I've been waiting for.

or a trailer for Persona 5, or an interview from the develloper or ANYTHING! PLEASE OH GOD!

but it will most likely be something about the last gardian. Something underwelming and not playable if I had to guess.

#26 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

Holy shit, 2 a.m. over here. What to do, what to do? I want to stay up and watch it but that's pretty damn late to be watching a press conference.

#27 Posted by falserelic (4941 posts) -

That's Clean right there.

#28 Edited by Seppli (9729 posts) -

@morningstar said:

I think that might be a hint at a The Last Guardian reveal for PS4, since that seems to be something certain people seem to have been waiting for. Namely videogame critics and videogame enthusiasts.

#29 Posted by pyrodactyl (1639 posts) -

@seppli said:

Anything they showed or said past the initial reveal made me less and less interested in that game.

A plain looking MMO with a dash of horror. No thank you.

#30 Edited by Seppli (9729 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@seppli said:

Anything they showed or said past the initial reveal made me less and less interested in that game.

A plain looking MMO with a dash of horror. No thank you.

It's supposed to be somehow related to Dragon's Dogma. While I agree that the latest teaser was shit, I think it's entirely too soon to write it off. The first trailer, which seems to have been a target trailer, certainly gives me hope that it'll hit my niche squarely on the jaw.

Watching the target trailer again, assuming that's the direction it goes in, it certainly gets me excited all over again. Deep dungeons. Big monsters. Deep RPG systems. Execution-driven smooth action gameplay. Coop?! Hells yeah. I'm in!

P.S. Dunno where from you've gotten the idea about Deep Down being MMOish. If Dark Souls is a MMO, then sure. If it isn't, then Deep Down isn't either. Experimental online multiplayer is what I'd call Dark Soul's online component, and that's what I expect from Deep Down - an experimental online multiplayer experience. Something new.

#31 Posted by Dixavd (1131 posts) -

PS4 and Vita bundle announcement would be great. Also, a mention of the state of the Last Guardian as others have pointed out. I'll try an catch glimpses of it while I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow morning (7 am here in the UK).

#32 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@seppli: Man, I'm not a fan of anything Capcom makes but that looks fantastic if it's actual PS4 gameplay. I forgot how good that looked. Can't wait to hear more about it at TGS. Or tonight?

#33 Posted by Nodima (938 posts) -

Since I don't have cable and am generally up all Sunday night waiting for high quality episodes of Breaking Bad to hit the net, I'll definitely try to be around. Curiousity, you know.

#34 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

ooo 1AM. Sounds good.

:|

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9727 posts) -

They're probably just going to announce the PS4 launch date in Japan. That hasn't been announced yet, right?

I'm not staying up to watch it. The "news" will still be there in the morning.

#36 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4968 posts) -

They're probably just going to announce the PS4 launch date in Japan. That hasn't been announced yet, right?

Where were YOU when The Last Guardian was re-announced? That's right. Sleepin'.

Sucka.

#37 Posted by Syed117 (386 posts) -

People really asking for another announcement for the last guardian? Really?

I'd love to play it some day but lets hope there is something more interesting than a game that has apparently been in development for the past 6 years.

Guess we will find out tomorrow morning

#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9727 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

Sucka.

When it gets re-announced as a Vita exclusive, I will continue to not care.

#39 Posted by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

It'll probably be something very unexciting like their own version of the Oculus Rift that's been rumoured.

#40 Edited by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles 4 for the PS3 or GTFO... come on SEGA take some of that miku bullshit money and put it to good use.

#41 Posted by Aegon (5117 posts) -

@ollyoxenfree said:

@mooseymcman said:

Sucka.

When it gets re-announced as a Vita exclusive, I will continue to not care.

Oh, how silly you will look in approximately 3 hours (maybe).

#42 Edited by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

Yu Suzuki walks out on stage to announce that he has formed a new studio and gained the rights to make Shenmue 3 and will be exclusive to PS4. His studio will also oversee development of a new Valkeria Chronicles, Rez and Skies of Arcadia.

#43 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Almost there!

#44 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

Almost there!

Oh shit. I'm still awake.

#45 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Stream is live at the moment. Getting closer! Video games!!!!!!!!!!

#46 Posted by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

The feed is live. (Conference hasn't started yet though.)

I want predictions to this question: How many Monster Hunter rip-offs do you think they will show at this thing?

#47 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

How many Monster Hunter rip-offs do you think they will show at this thing?

#48 Posted by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

It sounds like the translator will translate after a person in the hall has talked. So I imagine the translator might be talking over the people in hall.

#49 Posted by Morningstar (2042 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

Sucka.

Haha!

#50 Edited by TepidShark (1044 posts) -

15,000+ people watching. not bad. Conference is starting!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.