Sony's Cloud Gaming Service Is PlayStation Now [UPDATED]

• 147 results
#101 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@dewar:

I think what they're saying is you can pay the subscription fee or rent. I don't think you'd pay twice. At least I hope not.

#102 Posted by Monkeyto (30 posts) -

I remember OnLive being a smidge laggy, then going on to play GaiKai's ME2 demo and being smooth as a baby's bottom. I also like the idea of a digital rental service just like Netflix, if it turns out that that. It'll be perfect for me!

#103 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

Does anyone know if all games will be available from the PS1 era?

#104 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

My big American FIOS connection says bring it!

#105 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@dewar said:

Paying for the service and then paying again to rent the game is a bad deal. It's why On-live failed and it doesn't make me hopeful for this service.

Oh, I fully expect this to fail. This is an excellent point you make, but just how much bandwidth do you need for the streaming for it not to lag and/or have poor image quality.

This is feel-good nonsense so they can look like they give a crap about BC for the first year or so. I give it that long to end up like gameroom.

#106 Posted by Zace (92 posts) -

WILL PAY FOR GAMES

#107 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@yukoasho said:

@dewar said:

Paying for the service and then paying again to rent the game is a bad deal. It's why On-live failed and it doesn't make me hopeful for this service.

Oh, I fully expect this to fail. This is an excellent point you make, but just how much bandwidth do you need for the streaming for it not to lag and/or have poor image quality.

This is feel-good nonsense so they can look like they give a crap about BC for the first year or so. I give it that long to end up like gameroom.

From IGN:

"Sony has confirmed that PlayStation Now will be a subscription-based service -- though whether it will tie-in to existing subscriptions like PlayStation Plus remains to be seen -- and will support online multiplayer and Trophies. Players can also opt not to subscribe and rent games on a by-game basis."

It looks like you can subscribe OR rent individual games. It doesn't look like both.

#109 Posted by DeadPanJazMan (64 posts) -

As a PS plus subscriber I think it's totally fair to charge an additional fee for this service given the potential catalogue it could encompass. But ya know, maybe a little discount for us PS plus guys? :-D

#111 Edited by billyok (193 posts) -

@yukoasho said:

@dewar said:

I cannot fathom why you think Sony would buy Gaikai and build this infrastructure just to engender some feel-good nonsense about backward compatibility. This isn't some half-assed ROM dump like Gameroom was.

Never mind that the poster you're quoting has it all wrong. You don't pay twice. You either rent or subscribe, not both.

#112 Edited by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@joshwent: Your bias/emotional immaturity clearly prevented you from properly reading my post. If you did you would have seen that I wasn't taking a side in a console war, only noticing the disparity between those complaining about the quality of their internet connection in regards to this feature and Microsofts early plans. I dont plan on buying a One if it makes you feel any better.

#113 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

A service where I can rent old ps1 games that I haven't played in years or games that I missed...I'm sold. I guess this means I'm gonna buy a ps4 a little sooner than I thought.

#114 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2312 posts) -

This is going to be a shitshow, but I'm prepared to pay an extra $50 a year if they have something usable when the dust clears.

#115 Posted by DM (72 posts) -

Yeah new things suck! Good job Sony giving me an optional avenue to try games i've been interested in but haven't had a chance to try. And what am I supposed to do with the games I already have...play them on the system I bought?Yeah right.

#116 Posted by joshwent (2113 posts) -

@brendan: Sorry. I guess my emotional immaturity made me think that they were obviously two incomparable situations. One that would penalize a user and lock them out of playing games if their internet ever happened to go out or was inaccessible for any reason, and another that's an online service which a user can choose to engage in when they can. So no disparity exists. But I was probably just blinded by bias. Thank you for correcting me.

#117 Edited by Samba_P (7 posts) -

Might actually pick up a PS4 now, this sounds awesome but I need to know how much I will be paying first and how many games will be included. Been waiting a Spyro 1-3 re-releases and if they are included in this it is a must buy for me.

#118 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

This is pretty cool. On my PS3 I can play PS1, PS2 remasters, PS3, and PSN games. I don't have to make recurring payments for this privilege, just a one-time purchase for each title. Unfortunately I cannot buy my favourite PSX game, Ape Escape.

Not everyone cares about playing old games and I think it's a good decision they have moved these costs off of regular gamers so that the people that do want these old games pay for the privilege.

#119 Posted by kagato (895 posts) -

Not sure how i feel about this, OnLive was fine but never lived up to expectations, from what ive heard the UK wont see this service until next year (2015) anyway so not something i need to really concern myself with just now. Not sure i fancy paying another sony sub ontop of PS Plus and Music Unlimited, the shine is starting to wear off a little...

#120 Posted by Sykosis (123 posts) -

I'm pretty torn on this. On one hand I don't know if I like the idea of paying to play games that I already owned even though it wasn't much of a catalog. That said I pay for Netflix in order to have access to streaming movies, a lot of which I already own. hmmm . . .

#121 Edited by tablefloor (28 posts) -

As long as the service runs reasonably well and doesn't cost a bomb, it can't be a bad thing. I'm sure they wouldn't release a service with the same issues we saw with Onlive.

I for one am pretty excited that they may have found a viable way to allow us to utilise backwards compatibility without increasing the price of the core system in any way.

Regardless, at the end of the day, the service will be entirely optional. If you don't like the idea, you won't be forced to take it on.

#122 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@joshwent: I dont understand how this keeps flying over your head, but if you read my post you'll see I'm not comparing the One vs. PS4. I'm comparing peoples ability to play games under that scheme vs. peoples ability to play games under this specific feature. Regardless of how much more attractive the overall package is, based on feedback of players inability to reconcile the One's always on feature with the quality of their internet connection *specifically* I'm surprised at the proportion of people who dont have a problem reconciling playing with this feature *specifically* in regards to the quality of their internet connection. There. The English language cannot explain this any clearer.

#123 Posted by StrainedEyes (1321 posts) -

It's nice that they are at least trying to address the Backwards Compatibility thing that always becomes a big thing around console launches. If they can build a good infrastructure and improve on it over the PS4s life-cycle, they would never have to answer the "well is this one backwards compatible?" question again.

#124 Posted by ultrapeanut (380 posts) -

I liked Gametap enough to go to the trouble to redeem MyCokeReward points for probably a year's worth of free use. I even thought OnLive had potential (the proto-PS4 sharing was its best feature), so I'm probably in the target audience for this. I hope it doesn't suck!

#125 Edited by super_machine (1930 posts) -

I don't have a lot of faith in this. They can't even get their music streaming service done right.

#126 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1171 posts) -

This is huge. Microsoft has to offer something like this to stay as relevant as Sony is because this could be the future distribution model for games in general.

#127 Edited by hughesie27 (190 posts) -

@patrickklepek, I think the Gaikai services are only being launched in the States thisSummer. I've previously read that Europe can expect it in 2015. Has this changed now?

#128 Posted by aquacadet (219 posts) -

This gif makes me a little worried about PlayStation now's input lag.

#130 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

@brendan said:

@joshwent: I dont understand how this keeps flying over your head, but if you read my post you'll see I'm not comparing the One vs. PS4. I'm comparing peoples ability to play games under that scheme vs. peoples ability to play games under this specific feature. Regardless of how much more attractive the overall package is, based on feedback of players inability to reconcile the One's always on feature with the quality of their internet connection *specifically* I'm surprised at the proportion of people who dont have a problem reconciling playing with this feature *specifically* in regards to the quality of their internet connection. There. The English language cannot explain this any clearer.

Damn you're salty.

#131 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -

@aquacadet said:

That's in optimal conditions. They should probably perpetually call it "in beta" like PS home.

#132 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: Frustratingly dumb conversations on the internet bring it out of me, I apologize.

#134 Posted by Benmo316 (407 posts) -

@zornack: Yeah, shortly after I wrote that comment it dawned on me.

#135 Posted by AlexGBRO (274 posts) -

@grantheaslip: maybe but the trick here is that all ps2-ps1 games will look ugly because those games were in sd rez or lower in 4:3 so only the ps3 games are most efected by the artifacting and compresion

#136 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Right at this moment, all I want are some actual new PS4 games to play on my PS4 :(

#137 Posted by Generic_username (591 posts) -

@aquacadet said:

That's in optimal conditions. They should probably perpetually call it "in beta" like PS home.

oh god no

#138 Edited by totaboy (44 posts) -

I'm sure Europe will be stuck with the slower and squished PAL versions of PS1 and PS2 games...

That, along with the (unavoidable) lag, makes it hard for me to care about Playstation Now.

#139 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1524 posts) -

@alexgbro said:

@grantheaslip: maybe but the trick here is that all ps2-ps1 games will look ugly because those games were in sd rez or lower in 4:3 so only the ps3 games are most efected by the artifacting and compresion

There's a visual difference between upscaling and compression though. A lot of 360 and PS3 games are technically running at near-SD resolution, and they still look great.

Either way, I'm more worried about latency/lag than image quality, and the above GIF backs up that concern.

#140 Posted by spraynardtatum (2606 posts) -

I really hope I don't have to rebuy games I already own.

#141 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

hmmmmm, still wonder if this solves the problem of games I bought off of PSN that I can't play on PS4 but I could play on PC as streaming

#142 Posted by DFSVegas (350 posts) -

You know, I was looking into buying an Xbox One, but now that I know the PS4 is only 2 1/2 beer cans tall, I'm going to have some things to reconsider.

#145 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@makari said:

"Here at Sony, our vision is offering a paid, digital-only, online broadband-requiring drm future with microtransactions, unlike our competition :trollface:" *audience claps*

lolwut

#146 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

@thephantomstranger said:

@aquacadet said:

oh god no

Any input lag is going to be exaggerated by a slow-mo. The same would happen for any existing console. I wouldn't make any judgements about the quality of this service until it actually comes out because there are SO many variables.

#147 Posted by Psykodoughboy (14 posts) -

awesome, i never got the chance to play Ps1 or Ps2 games

#148 Edited by Cameron (595 posts) -

Input lag is the worst and there is no way they can completely eliminate that. That combined with the bandwidth required to stream games in decent quality makes this a tough sell. Onlive used about one megabyte per second, which meant it used a gigabyte of bandwidth in less than 20 minutes. That's 3GB per hour, which would add up quickly if you play games regularly. Maybe Sony has made improvements in compression, but even half of that would be rough. With bandwidth caps as the norm for people in North America, I think this is a neat idea that will be limited by the poor infrastructure we have here.

#150 Edited by jackmessiah (14 posts) -

I'd pay extra for PSNow. My PS+ subscription is well worth the price of admission as-is, and if this means I can binge play 20 yrs of missed JRPG's netflix style, I'm ok with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.