Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony's genius with its camera

wario2295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

One of the nicest things about the PS4 is that you can chose whether or not you want its camera. Now many say that this will lead to horrendous third-party support as the camera will not be anywhere near guaranteed to be with every PS4 unlike the Kinect. However this exact point is what nullifies the previous, because Kinect is standard, developers will be much more willing to make games compatible with the Kinect, and while it is different (and much more advanced I imagine) than the PS4 Eye I can't imagine the dev time to take Kinect features and transplant them to the PS4 Eye will take very much dev time. Therefore Sony is literally letting Microsoft do the hard part, while giving its customers the option for a camera that will have much broader support than it would have without Kinect while keeping the price down for others who don't give a damn. Anyway excited for launch and hope both consoles end up being competitive, go games!

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rick_Fingers

The more you know!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Yeah alright, I could agree that some percent of Kinect games/features will be ported to PSeye, but, like you said, depends how easy that is to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

That's really a best-case scenario for Sony. It's more probable that the technical differences between Sony's camera and the Kinect make it cost-prohibitive to port Kinect features for the camera.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

Let's be honest, the one thing core games will be using Kinect for, in all probability, is voice commands. Heard we'll be able to do that through our headsets on PS4, even if one doesn't buy into the PS Eye. Don't think porting voice commands is all too much of hassle either. Not that I care.

Seeing how Ryse went from being a Kinect game to what it is now, you can be sure that Microsoft puts zero stock in Kinect being a viable core game input device. The whole body tracking technology will remain an additive gimmick for flavor. It's just not the gamechanger Microsoft made it out to be.

I'd be surprised if anything comes from Kinect and PS Eye, that I personally would want. Definitely see the appeal for party games and fitness thingies and such, but that's not what I'm into gaming for.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't imagine the Kinect will be more than just a peripheral for the entertainment side of the Xbox One, and only a small-side project when it comes to games. I think the last generation of Kinect really told Microsoft that it's consumers don't want that sort of integration everywhere, but I enjoyed the little bit they ported into the dashboard. If I can just tell my television to change to the channel Walking Dead is on, then honestly it's money well spent.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey

it will be as successful as ps move

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So does that mean Kinect 2.0 will be as successful as Kinect? Because Kinect was kind of hot garbage, for the most part. Or are we just wearing our fanboy hats?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By PandaBear

This is ALL total conjecture. You have no idea the development tools used to make Kinect work or if this same data is transferable to the PS Eye.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By monetarydread

@kindgineer said:

I think the last generation of Kinect really told Microsoft that it's consumers don't want that sort of integration everywhere

The Kinect sold a bajillion copies, and at least for a while, was the fastest selling piece of electronics ever. If anything, that tells Microsoft that people want Kinect integration. Remember, the hardcore gamers that care enough to debate on a forum are a tiny minority of the customer base.

Edit: To be more on topic, instead of flame-baiting. The PS Eye != Kinect 2.0

The PS Eye is nothing more than a stereo camera. It does not come with the infrared lazers to pinpoint depth, it goes off of the difference in contrast between the player and the background. This makes it potentially a lot less accurate than the original Kinect.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@bitcloud said:

@seppli: It would be really interesting if Sony can match a lot of features with the PS4 Eye. I'm more impressed with the iPhone like motion control the Sixaxis has now. Things like BF4's lean system being built into Sixaxis or Shadowfall's OWL into the touchpad are great examples of touch and motion gaming enhancing a core experience.

The Vita has definitely shown me that I enjoy good gyro controls. Is leaning in BF4 via Sixaxis confirmed?

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be wrong on this, but I wasn't under the impression that the Kinect 2.0 and the PS4 Eye was even close to comparable tech/precision wise?

I can't imagine the dev time to take Kinect features and transplant them to the PS4 Eye will take very much dev time.

"Porting" features (or writing them from scratch, as would be the case) through a different SDK to lesser/incomparable hardware? Nah, I'm sure it'll be a breeze. I'm also pretty sure you haven't written a line of code in your life.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By PandaBear

I might be wrong on this, but I wasn't under the impression that the Kinect 2.0 and the PS4 Eye was even close to comparable tech/precision wise?

@wario2295 said:

I can't imagine the dev time to take Kinect features and transplant them to the PS4 Eye will take very much dev time.

"Porting" features (or writing them from scratch, as would be the case) through a different SDK to lesser/incomparable hardware? Nah, I'm sure it'll be a breeze. I'm also pretty sure you haven't written a line of code in your life.

That's exactly I think. People here no nothing of programming video games for PS Eye or Kinect. It's all conjecture and typical gamer "well why don't they just port it, derp" shit.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By matt_f606

@pandabear: But.... Speed-Cam middle ware :-) From the makers of Speed-Tree.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like that it's not required to purchase it up front and it being relatively cheap doesn't preclude an impulse purchase later on just to mess with it. There is not much up front for the camera to be used with aside from Double Fine's game. Kinect 2 doesn't really have much aside from a Kinect Sports demo. They are both on even ground as far as lack of content goes yet at least Sony was smart and dropped the camera for sake of competitive pricing.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not being in the box means it will get no support, just like the PS2 and PS3 cameras. I don't care about Kinect, but at least there's the possibility someone (Rare?) can make something cool for it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a lot of thought, my problem isn't with motion gaming. That's whatever. It's not something I'm excited about in the least and I don't see anything on the horizon that seems interesting in the slightest. That goes for both peripherals. Maybe one day there'll be something compelling but I'm not counting on it. I liked Wii Sports....the first time.

My problem is the terms of service for those devices. I think they're terrible. I read the new one for the Kinect and it's garbage and not something I want to continue accepting. I'm sure it's going to be the same for Sony's camera. I'm just happy I don't have to purchase it.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may end up getting a PS4 camera just so I can use the head tracking stuff that's in War Thunder and MM's new game.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    No Caption Provided

It will forever be called the Eye, years after it still doesn't have the Eye name..

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazielCuts

I..I thought the Move was kind of cool. It was like a Wiimote that actually did what it was supposed to do.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969

I say Kinect won't be used for games very much in the final result. I just don't see as much sensory redundancy being employed as it woudl need toi be a reliable input device. The perfect room for a Kinect is still a cubical room, with a decent amount of room, and no weird angles on furniture or walls....and a room where there are two theoretical Kinects all giving data to the box.

It all comes down to how accurate an input device needs to be to "feel" accurate or to "feel" like no inputs or nuances were missed that the player expected to be picked up. I'm not sure what they number is but is it probably 99.5 % which I don't think Kinect can even do now outside of a controlled environment.

Hey, I willing for MS to prove me wrong...but it isn't MS who decided if this thing is accurate it will be the users. The same thing goes for Sony's system...except Sony isn't promising very much nor relying on it working in any capacity. Sont merely want it to work, except somewhat less crudely, than PSEye.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish these cameras went the way of 3d and just disappeared.

What a waste of time and resources.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

I..I thought the Move was kind of cool. It was like a Wiimote that actually did what it was supposed to do.

It was except there weren't enough games that made good use of it. Shoehorning move controls into shooters and crappy dance games didn't cut it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts said:

@bigjeffrey said:

It was except there weren't enough games that made good use of it. Shoehorning move controls into shooters and crappy dance games didn't cut it.

Well let's hope whatever Media Molecule are doing with it turns out alright. That clay sculpting seemed like a fun tech demo.

wario2295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By wario2295

@sharkethic: Currently a first year computer science major in college so I'm at about 1000 lines of code but thanks for being an assuming asshole. But sure, taking code designed for Kinect 2.0 will probably take a long time, but I meant design time and a willingness to think about using camera technology in-game, not that the camera works exactly the same

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

So does that mean Kinect 2.0 will be as successful as Kinect? Because Kinect was kind of hot garbage, for the most part. Or are we just wearing our fanboy hats?

Except for the fact that first gen Kinect sold like crazy. Also, people who knew what they were doing when programming with it made good games that worked. It's also fun having my Kinect hooked up so when I'm watching Netflix I can yell at it to pause and play when I leave/re-enter the room. Very cool.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@greggd said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Except for the fact that first gen Kinect sold like crazy. Also, people who knew what they were doing when programming with it made good games that worked. It's also fun having my Kinect hooked up so when I'm watching Netflix I can yell at it to pause and play when I leave/re-enter the room. Very cool.

I think people are underrating the Xbox One with Kinect integrated like this. Not that it will be great for games, but there will be some good apps for it (the workout one sounds great) and just using it for navigation and controlling even you cable box and everything.

I have a four friends who are casual gamers (sports games, the occasional CoD or what have you) and they are all getting an Xbox One at launch mainly because of these kind of features, plus it will also play their games that they want. I think the appeal is being very underrated on the forum crowd. Which makes sense. PS4 is more just about games but I think the Xbox One may surprise a lot of the hardcore crowd with how well it does. A lot of people like to watch TV and would love a far superior way to navigate that, they would like to be able to get Xbox invites while watching TV, they'd like all the apps that can overlay over all these experiences. There is broad appeal there.

But beyond all of this, like you say, Kinect sold very well. It's funny whenever I see it talked about on forums and the like everyone acts like this thing was a disaster. It was a great success for Microsoft.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shiro2809

@razielcuts: I love the PSMove =/ in all the games that have had move support that I've played, only like...3 of them I've prefered the controller (tweaks to the psmove controls would've made me like it more on there, though).

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Honkalot

@bigjeffrey said:

By february this year there were over 24 million kinects sold. I would hardly call that anything but successful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.