Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Sold Over 5.3 Million PS4s Prior to Japan Launch

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

By February 8th, Sony has sold 5.3 million PS4's to end consumers. Sony's sales numbers are about to jump another million or two, when it releases in Japan on the 22nd of February. Their internal goal was to sell 5 million units worldwide by the the end of March. Sony has surpassed the 5 million mark nearly two months early. It seems fairly certain that Sony will sell through more than 10 million units worldwide by the end of 2014.

With how pretty much every game runs better on PS4 than on Xbox One, it will likely also lead the competition in software attachment rates - where the real money is made. The Playstation division really hit a homerun with the PS4. By golly!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That's, what, like a half-million away from the Wii U's global sales to date? Bonkers numbers. I'm glad to see someone running away with sales in a sea of worries and doom and gloom.

I'm very excited to see how it does in Japan.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

How much do you think they will sell in japan ?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

@jimmyfenix said:

How much do you think they will sell in japan ?

everything they can ship. The Japanese launch lineup is pretty strong.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I sometimes find it a little odd that Sony does so well in video games, and not very well in everything else these days.

Either way, good for them! Now they've got to get some good exclusives coming our way!

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I know it's not a perfect comparison, because the 360 came out a year early, but does anyone know how this compares to global sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 in a similar time frame?

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@hyuzen: Microsoft has said the Xbox One is selling faster than the 360 did so it's safe to say the PS4 is as well. Both consoles are doing very well so far and hopefully things keep up as more and more games come out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

I sometimes find it a little odd that Sony does so well in video games, and not very well in everything else these days.

Either way, good for them! Now they've got to get some good exclusives coming our way!

The craziest thing about Sony's current state is that they're basically reshaping the entire company around video games, as they back away or downsize in every other market they've had their toes in over the years. Their efforts at phones have crashed, their marketshare in digital cameras has fallen over half, they split up their TV business, discontinued the their PC line and sold the brand off to someone else, and this goes on and on. But video games? They've basically doubled down on that portion of their global business.

There's so much consternation and worry from other companies over how expensive the industry has gotten, but Sony is going all-in. It's totally nuts, and so far appears to be totally the best thing they've got going.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darji

@hyuzen said:

I know it's not a perfect comparison, because the 360 came out a year early, but does anyone know how this compares to global sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 in a similar time frame?

No Caption Provided

only for US though.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyuzen: A user on Neogaf posted this on how the PS4 is tracking with PS1 , PS2 and PS3 in the same time frame.

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million

10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million

16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million

22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million

28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million

7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million

13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million

19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million

22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million

4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million

7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million

10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million

13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million

2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million

1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million

3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full steam ahead on the PSN Express

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

Could they sell 1 mil in Japan? Is the market big enough/hungry enough for that number?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nightriff: Japan's console market is pretty limited (handheld market is huge), but the 360/Xbone have absolutely no presence so a higher number is feasible; though a Monster Hunter being out for it would be helpful.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I don't get why people keep jumping up about how it hasn't even sold in Japan. Japan does not buy that many consoles compared to the rest of the world. Which is why it drives me crazy that Nintendo and Sony always put their best special editions and colors out in Japan. Japan buys maybe a third or fourth the number of consoles that North America or Europe does.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sergio

@thehbk: Anything to back these claims up? A quick Google search and it looks like historically Japan buys half the number of consoles that North America does, and even then it's still 10s of millions over the lifetime of each console. Even if those 10s of millions were a fourth of what is sold in North America, it's still a sizable market.

Edit: Correction on the 10s of millions, that was PS2 only. PS3 doesn't have those types of numbers in any market alone.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how big the gap is between the Xbox is now. Last we heard Xbox sold around 3 million? Wonder if it's at 4 yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

That's, what, like a half-million away from the Wii U's global sales to date? Bonkers numbers. I'm glad to see someone running away with sales in a sea of worries and doom and gloom.

I'm very excited to see how it does in Japan.

Oh god. I was wondering if it was close to the Wii U's total life time sales, that is just freaking sad. Nintendo has to step up their game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Now all we need is a torrent of "HOW WORRIED SHOULD MICROSOFT BE" posts and this thread will fill the day's armchair economist quota.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Video Games are dead, you guys... stop trying to fight it..

might as well just hop on aboard the iPhone Master Race bandwagon. Anyone want some pigs for their farm?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now all we need is a torrent of "HOW WORRIED SHOULD MICROSOFT BE" posts and this thread will fill the day's armchair economist quota.

There was one already with the almost 2:1 sales news that these numbers include.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It is good to see all the gloom and doom about consoles were not true. I really don't think most analysts and pundits understand how much people 'like' the level of ease of use and complexity of gaming consoles have..at least in the west. The cost/benefit works in console-like systems favor, and probably always will.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Killing it. Good to see MS being punished by the market for their nonsense.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@jimbo said:

Punished? More like expunged. It won't be long before the golden PS2-era of gaming is reinstated.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By fattony12000

Launching in Japan...

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By GERALTITUDE

so who's got the hot sales numbers man come on I gotta know

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

322k sales under its first two days in Japan!

..from a 350k unit shipment, beating the WiiU's Saturday-Sunday launch week by a respectable amount. This is not spelling doom for consoles or a sign that the 3DS has ruined the market (which it has), this is the third best selling console launch in Japan behind the PS2 and the Wii. There is a god. Lets see how software numbers are doing tomorrow.

Six million sales total before March world-wide.

Now get on those JRPG developments..

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Darji

@somejerk said:

322k sales under its first two days in Japan!

..from a 350k unit shipment, beating the WiiU's Saturday-Sunday launch week by a respectable amount. This is not spelling doom for consoles or a sign that the 3DS has ruined the market (which it has), this is the third best selling console launch in Japan behind the PS2 and the Wii. There is a god. Lets see how software numbers are doing tomorrow.

Six million sales total before March world-wide.

Now get on those JRPG developments..

wiat the 3ds has ruined the market what? Mobliegamming has ruined the market not the 3DS.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EXTomar

I don't think the 3DS has anything to do with it. Or more importantly that 322k (or whatever) is even that great. It is more the case that all over the world the market for phones and tablets have exploded while the market for desktops and set tops have shrunk. Even TV is stagnating.

edit: fixing up grammar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sales numbers are perfectly solid for a Japanese home console launch, particularly when you compare it to other console launches (being the third best) and consider that it didn't have a holiday to prop up sales (unlike the Wii and Wii U launches). The real issue will be keeping those numbers afloat with so few immediate game releases on the horizon.

@extomar said:

I don't think the 3DS has anything to do with it. Or, more importantly, that 322k (or whatever), is all that great. It is more the case that all over the world the market for phones and tablets have exploded while the market for desktops and set tops have shrunk. Even TV is stagnating.

This is something that always gets lost in the conversation about a contracting video game market; the video game market isn't alone in this. TV sales have slumped and there's nowhere near the excitement over them there used to be, PC sales have declined, the markets for digital cameras and dedicated portable media players have declined sharply, and this goes on and on. The market for consumer electronics (particularly high-cost non-phone electronics) as a whole has struggled in the last handful of years, due to a number of factors.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a better number than I would have thought really. The store I picked up mine (Yodobashi Chiba) had a smaller crowd for the PS4 launch than the Vita, so for it to hit a number like that looks like a good start to me.

Really happy with mine at least^^

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:

Sounds like a better number than I would have thought really. The store I picked up mine (Yodobashi Chiba) had a smaller crowd for the PS4 launch than the Vita, so for it to hit a number like that looks like a good start to me.

Especially this retailer was sold out completely at I think Sunday. It is a quit launch with no mass panic because Sony actually shipped many consoles. In General his launch was excellent in terms of supplies.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@mooseymcman said:

The craziest thing about Sony's current state is that they're basically reshaping the entire company around video games, as they back away or downsize in every other market they've had their toes in over the years. Their efforts at phones have crashed, their marketshare in digital cameras has fallen over half, they split up their TV business, discontinued the their PC line and sold the brand off to someone else, and this goes on and on. But video games? They've basically doubled down on that portion of their global business.

There's so much consternation and worry from other companies over how expensive the industry has gotten, but Sony is going all-in. It's totally nuts, and so far appears to be totally the best thing they've got going.

Nee, the only reason they are still alive is because their insurance division in Japan is very profitable. Hence the joke: Sony is a successful insurance company with a failed tv division.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

Punished? More like expunged. It won't be long before the golden PS2-era of gaming is reinstated.

PS2 had games, not sure if a monopoly is what the industry needs but whateva...

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By spraynardtatum

@donpixel said:

@marokai said:

@mooseymcman said:

Nee, the only reason they are still alive is because their insurance division in Japan is very profitable. Hence the joke: Sony is a successful insurance company with a failed tv division.

That's a joke?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, 332K is not to bad for two days. It will be interesting to see what sort of sales in makes after a month.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DonPixel

@donpixel said:

@marokai said:

@mooseymcman said:

That's a joke?

Nerdy Joke, but apparently a common one in financial circles.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@spraynardtatum: No their insurance business is going really well.

Contrary to people believe Playstation division is profitable but not by a lot, not to sustain the whole company. I can't find the link but I think revenues are not that amazing.

Its all about insurance.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@kadaju86 said:

Especially this retailer was sold out completely at I think Sunday. It is a quit launch with no mass panic because Sony actually shipped many consoles. In General his launch was excellent in terms of supplies.

Only checked their stock availability on their website on late Saturday and the one in Hachiouji was the only store to be out of stock of the non-camera pack, rest had stock of both packs, so looks like a "slow" burn through the weekend rather than everyone lining up first thing on Saturday.

Seems like a really good job on Sony's part to have enough stock for the demand as well as selling through close to everything, so overall a really good launch for them I'd say.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By fattony12000

The top five selling PS4 launch games

1. Knack - 322,083 (PS4 First Limited Pack bundles)
    2. Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin - 73,086
    3. Battlefield 4 - 26,878
    4. Killzone Shadowfall - 25,978
    5. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - 13,576

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201402/26048892.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.