Soul Calibur: Kratos and Yoshimitsu

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by footch (13 posts) -

The following videos show why Tekken and Mortal Kombat can have a crossover because the Soul Calibur characters Kratos and Yoshimitsu are shown in these games.

Soul Calibur's Kratos in Mortal Kombat:

Soul Calibur's Yoshimitsu in Tekken:

So why not a PS4 crossover game for these two franchises say it may be called "Mortal Kombat and Tekken Alliance".

#2 Edited by Zeik (2457 posts) -

They "could", but that doesn't mean they "should".

#3 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1709 posts) -

Ummm......... Kratos isn't from Soul Calibur, he's from God of War.

Also, this means nothing. Sonic is in Super Smash Bros with Solid Snake, does that mean we're getting a Metal Gear and Sonic the Hedgehog crossover? You're looking way too hard for any sort of meaning in two random fighting game guest appearances.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8698 posts) -

Wait.... wait wait wait wait wait. Mortal Kombat and Tekken Alliance.

This is the same topic that came up last week. It stuck with me because of its massive synopsis and design document. I recall there was no Heihachi included, and then I got a reply about the Mortal Kombat Realm and the "Tekken Zone." And that you uploaded a picture of penguins.

Footch... you are an enigma.

#5 Posted by CorruptedEvil (3412 posts) -

Please stop with these inane Mortal Kombat Tekken crossover fanfic threads, one was enough to get your point across.

#6 Posted by ADV215 (44 posts) -

Yoshimitsu is originally from Tekken. Technically he is a guest character in Soul Calibur.

Anyway, modern MKs do kind of play like Tekken. (Both have string based combos/buttons that correspond to a limb)

I don't think it would work though. The tones are just too different, even though gameplay wise they should mesh together better than something like SF X Tekken (which barely played like Tekken at all)

#7 Edited by Damodar (1393 posts) -

Kratos was in both Mortal Kombat and Hot Shots Golf. Is that cross over inevitable?

I'm not against the idea of cross over fighting games. Capcom have made a bunch of really good entries in to their versus crossover series and Street Fighter X Tekken is a really good competitive fighting game that just had its reputation seriously tarnished by some bad business ideas and some massive internet over-reaction. I'm super jazzed by the fact that Tekken overlord, Katsuhiro Harada, continues to claim that Tekken X Street Fighter is being worked on and could still come to be a product that is actually released.

That being said, every time the idea of mixing Mortal Kombat with anything comes up, my immediate reaction is to say no. Street Fighter and Tekken are worlds apart in terms of their actual gameplay systems, but the worlds that each game lives in, the tone they have etc, that sort of thing is congruous to each other. It allows the characters to co-exist and to also be re-imagined without feeling misrepresented. The reason it works is because the characters feel like they can co-exist. Julia Chang feels like Julia Chang. She's in a 90% Street Fighter engine, but her moves are recognisable as being a selection of her Tekken moveset etc, but the character is also able to exist fully in that setting. She is a super fun and interesting character to play, exploring how the merging of the two styles affects what she can do, and she totally feels like Tekken's Julia Chang.

If you mix Mortal Kombat with anything else that doesn't have that super violent style, one or the other is going to suffer. You'll either get something watered down which misrepresents the MK side, or you'll get Anna Williams getting her head ripped off or something, which is beyond out of character for Tekken. Either way, at least one group of fans is going to be unhappy.

I love Mortal Kombat, I've been a fan since I was like seven years old, playing MK1 on Mega Drive. So this is not out of a dislike of MK (even though it was terrible for a good... 10 years or so) but I don't want it mixed with anything that it doesn't fit with tonally. I'm also a bit iffy about the idea of NRS playing around with fighting game franchises belonging to dev teams that are better at making fighting games. NRS have come along massively with their last two games, but they've still got things to learn.

Also, I don't know what I am doing with my life, giving lengthy responses to things like this.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (24868 posts) -

@adv215 said:

Yoshimitsu is originally from Tekken. Technically he is a guest character in Soul Calibur.

Anyway, modern MKs do kind of play like Tekken. (Both have string based combos/buttons that correspond to a limb)

I don't think it would work though. The tones are just too different, even though gameplay wise they should mesh together better than something like SF X Tekken (which barely played like Tekken at all)

If you want to get really technical, the Yoshimitsu in Soul Calibur and the Yoshimitsu in Tekken aren't even the same guy.

#9 Posted by ADV215 (44 posts) -

@hailinel: Word. Yoshimitsu is one of the coolest characters in fighting games. I love how drastically different he looks in every other game.

I might as well post this dope Yoshimitsu combo video. One of my favorites from Tag 2.

#11 Edited by Tharrington (145 posts) -

The idea that someone could think that Kratos is a Soul Calibur character is blowing my mind right now. Even if you haven't played God of War you must have heard of it, right? Hopefully I'm just misreading something or it something isn't being conveyed properly.

#12 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11061 posts) -

Locked due to it being YouTube spam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.