Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

SSD Support

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone know if you will be able to replace the hard drive with a SSD?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Highly likely. I mean it is just a SATA device. The PS will not even know the difference. I also plan on doing this at some point.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geirr

I really hope PS4 will support it properly. The PS3 could utilize one but it had no impact on load times or anything from what I read, which was a bummer.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Most definitely. Whether or not it will have any tangible improvements in loading is the real question.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No reason why not, as to if the software is able to make use of the read/write speed well that's another question.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By noremnants

That is my main question I guess. I know you could in the PS3 but it was virtually useless since it was no faster than a standard HDD.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Syed117

No real reason why it shouldn't work, they have to be building the hardware in a way that would take full advantage of an SSD.

Only problem is the price. A 512gb SSD costs about the same as the console itself. Not sure how practical that is. They better also offer usb 3.0 external hdd compatibility like the xbox one. Obviously not as fast, but you can get 1-4TB drives for a fraction of the cost of an SSD and you don't have to sacrifice the internal drive.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jking47
    Loading Video...

I hope you can, otherwise my horses will be so slow!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agentboolen
    Jetpaction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've noticed loading times for Last Of Us are really short with an SSD. I did bought the digital version so no reading from the disc. I can imagine it has the same sort of impact on the PS4. It'll be a bit more smoother and faster overall, but the biggest win for me is no HDD read/write noise but pure silence. The original 80GB HDD in my PS3 was very loud.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.