Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sub accounts from PS3?

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Ok, so my main account on my PS3 is a sub account. I know I fucked up, but hey, I am where I am. My question is, how does account creation/migration work on PS4? It's not out here in the UK yet so I can't really check for myself. I just want to know if I can have my sub-account on my PS3 be a master account on the PS4? Having to switch accounts to add money to the wallet or accept Terms of Service is just a massive ballache. Does creating a new account on the PS4 simply reset the details and you can carry over your PS3 stuff? Or is it a separate thing all together?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@soulblitz: Currently it's not possible to upgrade a sub account to a full account, though Sony annouced just earlier this week that a way to do it is in the works.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like a real oversight by Sony. I shouldn't have had to lie about my age when I made an account on my launch model PS3 just so I could have full functionality. Either let a master account give a sub account the ability to do everthing, or just screw the whole thing altogether.

So how does the account creation work on PS4? Will I put in my email for my sub account and it'll say "This is a sub account, you need a master one first" or something similar?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By e30bmw

@blacklagoon: Do you have a link to that? Last I saw they said it wasn't an option.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklagoon: Thanks, hopefully that gets implemented soon. Still can't believe that this was ever an issue.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the article:

Update: Contacting Polygon, a Sony representative explained that account-upgrading functionality is not yet in effect. "Sub accounts can't be upgraded to master accounts on any PlayStation platform," the representative said. Asked for clarification, the representative added: "We don't have any additional comment at this time."

Now it says not yet in effect, but does that mean it's coming in the future? I don't want to have to throw away 6 years worth of trophies and stuff over something like this.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulblitz: I have actual money (PS+ through March) tied up in my sub-account. So if I get a PS4 before that and have to make a new account, I'll be paying extra money. All that on top of a bunch of trophies and my friend's list. And I actually like my PSN handle.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly. All my friends, trophies etc are all on this sub-account. The process of having to swap accounts just to do wallet stuff is bad, but even worse with my Vita. I turned it on earlier to check the store and it prompted me to sign into my master account to accept the new ToS. However, the master account is on my PS3, and you can only have one account on the Vita anyway. So I had to turn on my PS3, swap from the default sign-in of my sub-account to the master account, accept the terms, shut off the PS3 and then sign in again on my Vita just so I could connect to PSN to look at the store.

The wallet limit is the worst thing. I have the sub account set to unlimited spending, but if I run out of money in the account, I have to do it via the master account. I can't just add funds or use my card through the sub-account, I have to swap to the master then manually pick one of the set amounts, then swap back to buy it with the sub-account. Ugh. It's painful to type this out let alone do it.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulblitz: Yeah, I just went to download the Playstation app to check it out and it won't let me sign it until my master account accepts the terms of service. So annoying. I was prepared to just get a new account, but because it appears that there might be a chance of me keeping my current one, I'm gonna wait until then to buy a PS4.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flameboy84

I have a similar problem caused by moving regions....at least your accounts are in the same region and there is a solution being worked on...no such luck with region swapping. Once I get PS4 I think ti's going to be a case of going with a new Canadian account (moved from UK). It just causes too many problems with DLC etc....

Annoyingly though I have content tied to UK account like Flower and Sound Shapes that can be played on PS4....

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By psylah

Preorder canc-oh shit

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Lava

I'm in the same situation. Damn sub account. Maybe that article is a glimmer of hope that this is coming at some point. We'll just have to hold on until it does. I keep posting about it in the PS4 forums and on the PS Blog, a representative told me one time they look at that stuff and if is requested enough it could actually happen. So maybe with enough pestering. Or we should create an online petition... Because those work... Hopefully soon though.

My little sub account and I have been buddies for so long now I don't want all those trophies and friends to go away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.