Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

System Update 2.0 (Here come the Themes)

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Sony just announced some of the planned changes to the PS4's firmware in the upcoming 2.0 update. I'm personally super excited for themes! How do you duder's feel about some of the additions?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/16/ps4-system-software-preview-usb-music-player-new-home-screen-colors-more/

No Caption Provided
    • USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
    • Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
    • Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the ‘What’s New’ section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.
    • Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
    • Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
    • Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
    • Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
    • Back Up Data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more.
    spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Themes will be cool.

These updates sure are slow compared to Xbox though. What about suspend and that share feature?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I like the idea of themes. I enjoy changing them from time to time, but I don't think I've ever actually bought any. Just got any that were free or came with game purchases(like the one I got for buying Castle of Illusion on PS3). The rest of the stuff seems cool, but it's just not stuff I will use all that much. Except maybe the option to add PS+ games to your library instead of starting a DL of it. I'll probably use that a lot at some point, but not until my HD gets full.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

themes are more or less pointless and thats why i like em. i hated the original "theme" of the ps3 so much that i actually bought the heavy rain theme only because it was dynamic and dark so it did not light up my living room every time i turned on my ps3. same problem with the ps4 although at least that one is slightly more dimly lit.
    what i would also like for them to impliment in to the system is something also from the ps3. cant remember what its called but its basically so you can acces your shared files on your network from your ps3.
    not something i used a lot but it was still nice to have

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat, I'll change my PS4 background color to green immediately since it's my favorite color. Now, they just need to get the damn servers back online.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Dude Naomi Katoda has a TON of trophies

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

The people you may know and the add to library/don't download option for PS+ is pretty legit. Shame there's no mention of allowing a PS3 Media Server-type extension though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Finally, I can be rid of that sterile blue UI.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just gimme the ability to pause and resume downloads. It's crazy that you still can't (properly) do that a year later!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Still no direct video upload link to youtube though...?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm going to set my background to pink. Maybe purple. I hope they add a fireplace dynamic theme like on PS3.

Also, yeah, where's direct upload to YouTube?

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Themes are nice but I wish they would change it back to where it didn't announce on my activity feed everytime I open Netflix. It bugs me.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I never really liked PS3 themes. The images they're sharing look kinda nice, though. Most of those updates seem sort of flimsy, though. I dunno, I guess getting a music player for external files is probably pretty nice for some people, right?

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Seems like an okay update. I am pleased that I can change the background color (too something darker hopefully so it doesn't light my entire room) and that there is some measure of content bar organization. The "Add to Library" feature is nice for PS+ people.

Though I'm not sure the sorting or whatever will be enough. I really liked having the customizable folders on the PS3 (Arcade, Classics, Demos, Free Games are examples I used) and I want to remove the Music Unlimited and the other stuff I never use.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know it wouldn't be in Sony's interests for some crazy business reasons, but I would love an "always add PSPlus games to library" button. On the other hand,I can't wait to get rid of that sterile dashboard, so themes are a cool addition.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cloudymusic

The example shown there definitely looks pretty restrained, which is an improvement over most of the PS3 themes I ever saw, which were usually full of visual noise and just really overwrought in general. The ability to sort and filter your library is really welcome too, because the size of that list has been out of hand for a while now.

Still hoping for native PS1/PS2 Classics support at some point, since having to switch over to my PS3 just for that is a little annoying.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Can you pause downloads yet?

No? Not turning the fucking thing on then.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It truly is the future, the "most powerful video game console ever made" can now play mp3s!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: What, did you expect us to actually PAY ATTENTION?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mooseymcman: @yummylee: I think that is what is mentioned in the link posted on the blog.

Ah, cool. I figured everything worth noting had already been posted in the OP so I didn't think to check the link.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff: I'm a big fan of the dynamic fireplace theme on PS3, so I hope they bring that over. It's like those fireplace DVDs, but without the hassle of putting in a DVD!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By GERALTITUDE

It's not a bad update I just wish there was something more. Really most of these I'll never use. Maybe change the theme? They do look better than PS3 themes anyways.

Depending on what the Library change is that may be the most exciting thing for me. I'm bummed their solution to the front side is just limit your most recent apps to 15. I feel that's a bad sign. If the library becomes *the* place to look at all your content, I'd prefer to be able to boot into that. Ideally they make the "Content Area" actually friendly at all and just let me A-Z that baby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the default theme automatically change color and brightness based on the month and time of day like the PS3's does? That's all I want. That, and an option to alphabetize the "content area".

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff: @mooseymcman: Hmm I didn't see something mentioned about Dynamic Themes. Did I miss it? I forgot that the theme I've used on my PS3 forever is this great looking dynamic underwater scene. Looks like a big fish tank in my room. I'd absolutely get a dynamic theme like that for the PS4.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they let you install custom themes again. There weren't that many great PS3 themes available (for free anyway), but I had a few pretty awesome custom themes. Although just being able to customize the background wallpaper is enough for me.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the PS4 doesn't get this then someone fucked up.

Loading Video...

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The add to library feature is something I've been seriously wanting. I like to add every free game to my library and now I don't have to start/stop the download.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PLAYSTATION! FIND FACE!

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PS4 has voice commands? I was not aware of this and I've owned one for a while now. Excuse me as I go yell at my PS4.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@acidbrandon18 said:

Sony just announced some of the planned changes to the PS4's firmware in the upcoming 2.0 update. I'm personally super excited for themes! How do you duder's feel about some of the additions?

You should probably just add this to the first post in the thread:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/12/upcoming-ps4-system-update-to-v2-00-to-add-share-play-youtube-and-more-to-come/

Let’s go from sitting back and watching friends play to actually jumping into games remotely and sharing great experiences together in real time. Today at the PlayStation press conference at Gamescom, we will deliver on yet another promise from the PS4 announcement and introduce Share Play, coming to PlayStation 4 later this fall.

The best way to think about Share Play is like a “virtual couch”. PlayStation 4 will create an online local co-op experience by allowing you to invite a friend to join your game—even when they don’t own a copy of it. With this first-of-its-kind feature, you’ll be able to play games with a friend just as if you were together in the same room. Let’s say that with games… you’ll be able to invite your friend online to play against the Miami Heat for the championship as the San Antonio Spurs in NBA2K, tackle the challenging Towerfall Ascension Quest Mode together, or aide, heal, and protect you as Igniculus in Child of Light’s local co-op mode.

With Share Play, you can even jump into a game to assist a friend. For example, if there is part of a game that you can’t quite finish, you can invite a friend to take over your controls. Like handing over the controller to a friend on your couch, your screen will be shared as your friend gets through the part of the game that has been giving you trouble—can’t get past that part in The Last of Us: Remastered when you’re hanging upside down? Get a little help.

Share Play will be coming to PS4 as part of the upcoming system software update v2.00, scheduled for release this fall. The update will also add highly requested broadcast and video share features, including both uploading you game play footage and dedicated app support for YouTube, which we mentioned on stage at E3. Finally, What’s New will get enhanced real-time activity through friend-of-friend suggestions, allowing instant access to friends’ and recently played games’ broadcasts, and a real name search function will also be added. More features to come when v2.00 is made available this fall, and we will have more to announce in the coming months..

We always want to hear your feedback and look forward to what you are most excited to experience together first Share Play when the feature comes to PS4 this fall. What will you co-op first with Share Play?

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reccomdening friends based on people you play with seems annoying and or pointless. It seems like it boils down to "hey! You are friends with this guy and he plays with these people so you should friend them to!"

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Corevi

Can you use PS3 themes, at least official ones from the store? I'd really like to keep my Jet Set Radio one.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The playing songs from USB thing is a welcome addition, particularly if it works with any game - that said, it seems crazy that we're getting that and not DLNA support.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be great if you can upload your own background themes but I'll take it!

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The only themes I'll ever get are whatever I get from uplay. Just like the 360. Uplay is dumb.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By peritus

I'm cautiously optimistic. Don't really like the default look on the PS4.

@acidbrandon18: I would go crazy though, would never actually get around to booting a game!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is there any form of release date on this? I'm very much looking forward to the MP4 playability, can then officially move the PS3 to storage as that was one of its main purposes for leaving connected.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I think netflix have one of those, but it might just be for christmas.

I look forward to getting rid of that blue background. I don't know what it is about it, but it's just too blue. The MP3 update gives me hope that they might get Vib-ribbon on PS4 working with MP3 files. And I'm glad they're adding in a way to filter through your content because my god it's already getting out of hand after just a year.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody has Knack on the left of their bar.

Also, neat update. I could do the whole "where's ____?!" thing, but I won't. Just happy to see an update with additional features.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hey guys remember Knack? Me neither.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for DLNA and the ability to import your own wallpapers. Oh well, maybe next time around.

Does the USB Music Player mean you can plug your Iphone/Ipod into the system to play playlists? Or does it have to all be on a USB stick in a "PS4" folder?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

It won't matter if they put an advertisement in the default item slot. On PS3, Pal region players get to look at two people playing SingStar. The advertisement cannot be removed and there is a horrendous blue background behind the models. This is the first thing you see when you turn on your system. Yuck. It does not set a good impression and I expect PS4 to be the same.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some nice additions but what is taking so long with the suspend mode?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good stuff, just wish they were faster at getting these updates out the door.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.