Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The current Playstation Store (on PS4) design is just the absolute worst

garrettross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly surprised with how often the library/games view on XB1/PS4 gets brought up nobody mentions this.

The design on the individual games pages on the PS4 view of the Playstation Store is just the absolute worst. If you want to watch the trailer for a game, there's a gigantic overlay taking up a solid 1/3 of the screen that shows you a thumbnail of the video you're already watching behind it, and the video stops after 3 or 4 seconds (sometimes 3, sometimes 4, not sure what triggers this) requiring you to hit play to get past the production logo screen. Then the overlay stays up for another 5 seconds or so as the trailer plays.

As a graphic/web designer myself I honestly can't believe how this made it to production, it's such a dumb concept and execution. The old version was so much better. Just had to vent about this.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I buy everything PSN-related on my PC. It's not a fantastic layout but a hell of a lot better than the PS4 store.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dave_tacitus: The site is definitely speedier. However, AVOID THE PHONE APP.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like the PS4 store interface much, but I think the Xbox One's store front is WAY worse. I don't use either to browse though, when I know I want something it's launch store, purchase, get the heck out, all within 2 minutes.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WheresDerrick

And to view the screenshots, you have to go through the trailers tab, but that will always automatically start the trailer, so while you look at screenshots the trailer will all of a sudden be back on the screen after a few seconds until you switch to a different screenshot

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

My main issue with it is how slow everything is. I have to use the website whenever I want to download something because nothing ever loads properly on the PS4. It's really frustrating.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only issue I have with it is that it uses that weird keyboard.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mathj

yeah i agree with you, the old layout was much better. that overlay shit is annoying. also, sometimes stuff that comes out and is new is hidden behind older shit they want to sell, so ill have to manually search for the title, instead of them just inserting it to the new section. despite the complaints, i do like everything else though, but for what its worth i feel as though neither consoles have gotten their store layout right yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Classic PS3 Store layout was so much easier to navigate. There was no need for the change a few years back.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BonOrbitz

Woof. Yeah, I noticed that also (graphic/web designer too here). I have to wonder if the decision to immediately feature a video is an attempt to hook people into remaining on a product page and taking more time to consider purchasing a game instead of risking them taking that time to search for that same video (with no guarantee they'll find it or watch it) which could possibly lead to people saying "fuck it" and backing out of the page to look at something else. Seeing a trailer or gameplay is more compelling than reading a description and seeing screenshots, after all, and could lead to more sales.

Maybe this was done as a reaction to publishers' requests, information gleaned from surveys, numbers indicating how long people stay on product pages, or a mix of these things? Oh, then enforced by individuals who want it done without knowing if it could be done well.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I can at least get to stuff quickly rather easily. Still nowhere as bad as the design of nearly everyone on XB1.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's that bad. Some of the Plus stuff is laid out weird, but other than that, it isn't abysmal.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

The Classic PS3 Store layout was so much easier to navigate. There was no need for the change a few years back.

Yeah, the old PS3 store was pretty good, it's damn near unusable after the update about three years ago. You can't even browse the full lists of PS1 and PS2 classics, you can only find a small list of featured games, for everything else you have to search for specific titles, making it impossible to find anything you're not already aware of.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. It had been a little while since I bought anything on the store (I mean a purchase with money, not PS+), and I thought that something was wrong with it loading, or that I had clicked on something I shouldn't have. It just looked terrible. The way it was just a few months ago was way better. At least from an individual game view. It also seems to be missing some menu options on the top menus, particularly demos. I had to dig to find a place where I could look at them without typing in an individual game first. Also, there are some errors too. On the browser on my PC, it says there is a demo for the new Odin Sphere, but when I go to PS4, I can't find it. I hate that kind of shit. Maybe it was a preorder bonus or something, but regardless, take it off the store if nobody can actually download it that doesn't already have the game. Honestly, I didn't hate the layout of the PS store when the PS4 first launched and even on the PS3 for a while. The PS4 was pretty much the same but way faster. It didn't need changing, and even if they did change it, it didn't have to the nearly unusable state it's in now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

For whatever reason Sony keeps bloating everything up. I get that you don't sit as close to a TV as you do to a PC monitor but can we please have the option to see more than 4 items on the screen at a time? Why is everything so huge? This new store takes it to another extreme where every individual piece of info requires the ENTIRE page dedicated to it forcing you to scroll through several screens instead of just having all that info on a single well organized page.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@dave_tacitus: you ever get errors right after purchase? Every time I'm on the site it successfully purchases then kicks to a "page not found" 404 type page, then I see the game/app in my library. Not a dealbreaker since I know it purchases correctly, and I'd much rather use the PC on both Xbox and PS4 purchases but it happens consistently. Not looking for troubleshooting just wanted to see if I'm the only one.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dave_tacitus: I do the same. I'm not a fan of the layout either, but if I already know what I'm going to buy I do it either through my PC or I just search it, buy, done.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By rorie

Their web store is no great shakes, either. Trying to filter down to the PS+ games is a hassle without a bookmark, and don't even get me started about trying to enter a credit card without it getting rejected.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_mccallister said:

@dave_tacitus: you ever get errors right after purchase? Every time I'm on the site it successfully purchases then kicks to a "page not found" 404 type page, then I see the game/app in my library. Not a dealbreaker since I know it purchases correctly, and I'd much rather use the PC on both Xbox and PS4 purchases but it happens consistently. Not looking for troubleshooting just wanted to see if I'm the only one.

I actually get errors at purchase. I can't use their site at all to buy anything, it's some weird conflict with my card. My boyfriend, however, uses his just fine (same card, same exact account as he's secondary holder). I end up having to grin and bear the PS4 store in order to purchase games during sales and whatnot (because if I use the store from the console it works fine for whatever reason).

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I've ever had a problem purchasing stuff. Maybe it's because I use a debit card rather than a credit card? No idea.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fine to me. I use it daily.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's terrible and I also have CC purchase issues. Ironically I got a Playstation credit card and the Playstation Store does not play nicely with that. For awhile it rejected it entirely, then I called customer service and now I can get it to work from my cell phone if I input the CVV number every time, but can't make purchases from the web store from my laptop for some reason.

Also, and I've said this before but it bears repeating, they once charged me twice for a game. When I called customer service they told me to dispute the additional charge with my credit card company, which I did, and got it removed. I was then banned from PSN and had to spend like an hour on the phone explaining to get reinstated. I also had to repay, via a PSN card I bought from Amazon, the double charge fee to get reinstated. Now to be fair to PSN they did eventually spontaneously refund me that additional charge* so I only ended up paying once total, but man was that whole thing a huge hassle. Plus when you're banned you lose access to your digital library, and with the PS4 so low on hard drive space that means losing a lot of games as a practical matter.

I know other people have had similar nightmare experiences with Xbox but I've never had a problem like that with Microsoft.

It's strange that these companies who have invested so much in an all digital future want to make it so clear that that future will be dystopian and awful.

*If the customer service rep had just told me "The system will catch the double billing and refund you in a week or so" the drama could have been avoided.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox phone app is really good imo. Wish all the stores were good like it. Playstation app is garbage for browsing the store... Just opens a web browser.

And while we are at it... The Steam store could be better designed.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes the new layout for games is so bad. to get screenshots you have to press up up right down. its like a fucking code.

garrettross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to know I'm not alone with this opinion. It's insane to me that a company as big as Sony or Microsoft have this much trouble doing one of the most time-tested design projects: the storefront.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sterling

I don't like the last few changes they made either.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither are great experiences. Much easier to navigate stores and make purchases in a web browser.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, the newest version of it is fucking awful.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't used it in a while but man it was really hard just to find things, i had trouble finding that overwatch beta I think i had to use the search engine. It may be different now but at one point i couldn't even find the section where the demo's were, and when it first launched I couldn't even figure out how to list all the games that were available on the store to buy. Those issues may be resolved now but yeah from my experience it was always a hassle.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've said it before and I'll say it again, PSN has been worse than Xbox Live was when it first launched and it's stuck there.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Playstation Store gets worse and more of a time-wasting hassle to navigate with every single update. The store is virtually unusable on PS3. They updated it to match the PS4 store, but the PS3 isn't capable of running it. It's just nothing but freezing and crashing and I don't know why they think that it's acceptable to leave it like that.

Now the exact same problems are starting to arrive on the PS4 and it's a shame because you know they don't care at all. The PS3 store wouldn't be in the state that it is if they did.

The PC store is also probably the worst digital storefront I've ever seen, but at least it's much, much easier to navigate and use. The one positive of Sony abandoning the Vita is that they will probably never force a god awful store update on it.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

I can at least get to stuff quickly rather easily. Still nowhere as bad as the design of nearly everyone on XB1.

Yeah, I don't like the PS4 store but I really, REALLY don't like the XB1 marketplace. I can't get over how fucking bad it is.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bluefish said:
    @sammo21 said:

Yeah, I don't like the PS4 store but I really, REALLY don't like the XB1 marketplace. I can't get over how fucking bad it is.

This. Absolutely this. Hell, the entirety of the Xbox One interface in general is so bad that I rarely even turn the system on. The thought of digging through that muck is just so disheartening.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god someone elese made this topic. I kicked around the peanut of making the same thread myself as I've been in the store a bit lately with the big sale and just found it borderline horrific. Same reasons most have stated but the "video trailer first " thing has actually cost them 2 sales in my case. Previous store at least went to a summary page with text and some pics plus info first, regardless of whatever problems it had of its own. Lump me in the pile of not wanting to even navigate it on PS4, if I can help it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

They've reduced the density to an absurd degree. There's like, two buttons per page, which is kind of insane when you take into account that this is on the biggest screen I own.

And the keyboard for searching the store is a million times worse than the default system keyboard. Having to scroll through the alphabet for every single letter feels really inefficient.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
    deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSN is bad? Xbox needs to do some cleaning up, especially their credit system is weird as fuck.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It's also just unbearably slow. Like, that main page where you scroll to the right to see all their featured games or whatever takes forever to load the images for each game. At this point I use the website for everything.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish: At least the games tab is accessible on the XB1 store. The all games tab is buried under so many layers of trash on the PS4 store. The other nice thing about the Xbox store is that all the DLC for a game is right there. Again, the PS4 requires a bunch of digging since the DLC is a separate page on the store

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad someone was venting about the Exact thing about the new PSN store that I hate the most: that stupid trailer pre-play overlay garbage on individual game pages.

I'm right there with ya yelling into the void about how shitty it is!

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the trailer nonsense, but it's so much better than the ps3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.