Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The PlayStation 4 Exists

Chrisbot84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Todays PS4 stuff was super-interesting, but not enough to push me into a day-one, hell even a year-one purchase. If you ask me it's never been that great am idea to get a console it's first year, with rare exceptions most systems don't see any really great, exclusive games until year two or three of their life. The only semi-recent example of a great, must-own launch game was Halo. Before that, Mario 64, I guess? Hell, I didn't bite on the PS3 until holiday 2009, and that was because of Uncharted 2.

Maybe there'll be some real barn-burner shit at E3, but as of right now I am very much in the camp of 'meh' on the next generation of systems. The Wii-U is a total non-starter for me, and the only game that would have pushed me to get one (Rayman) is coming to 360 and PS3. I'm way past the point of burnt-out with the regular stable of Nintendo exclusives with the exception of Metroid, but I doubt we'll see anything like the Prime games ever again, so I'm not holding my breath. So far based on what (admittedly little) we've seen from Sony I'm starting to get that way with the PS4. Everything they showed today either I don't care about (Killzone, Deep Down) or I can get on PC or current-gen systems (Diablo 3, Destiny, Watch Dogs). I'm sure The Witness will be interesting, but not $400-$600 interesting, and that's the whole vibe I got from everything today.

DrCripto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Sony did what they needed this time. The event seemed much more concise and intelligent unlike many of their other events. It almost seems like a brand new Sony. I am very excited to see what will come of this new Sony.

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm interested for sure but also very curious to see what Microsoft has to show.

anamanaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

That liveshow with the GB crew was freakin great. Great work guys!

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:
    No Caption Provided

Oh God. This is all I could think about while they were on-stage.

Put your hands in your pockets, or behind your back or SOMETHING.

I don't even think the guy who was speaking did anything with HIS hands. No gestures, nothing.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#156  Edited By Cybexx

I'm not exactly super psyched for the PS4 but I thought it was a good presentation. It was cool for them to run down the specs right at the top of the show, happy to see 8GB of ram. I mean its a PC but at least that makes it easy for developers and assuming Microsoft hasn't gone off the deep end it should mean that ports will be of higher quality than during early 360/PS3 development (and still occasionally see, Bethesda...). From the specs to the controller to much of the Gaikai functionality it all kind of leaked out early but it was nice to see it officially presented and locked down.

The Gaikai stuff seems easily the coolest system-level feature and placing that video streaming stuff on a separate dedicated processor is nice (it does other things too). Hopefully internet bandwidth limits don't crush my dream of spying on all my friends. Using the Gaikai streaming to be able to instantly play games (presumably at some point the game would actually make its way to your hard drive) would solve some of the problems PSN is having with these massive game downloads (Sly Cooper 4 was massive!).

Nice to see Sucker Punch on stage, figured it was about time for them to be showing something. I would assume the Uncharted 3 team at Naughty Dog is deep into their PS4 project, maybe we will see that at E3. Last Guardian continues to avoid Sony presentations. That Killzone video looked more like real gameplay than the Killzone 2 one, it looks not that far off from what I played of Crysis 3 last night. Media Molecule continues to be awesome and Square Enix continues to be confused with how the internet distributes its trailers.

Wesley_Hester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Wesley_Hester

More RAM for a console: f'ing finally. No mention of Ultra HD 4K like some tech sites were speculating because Sony is selling the displays.

matty44m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By matty44m

Looks like I'm going to be spending quite a bit of $$$ at the end of this year.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By DougQuaid

Sport coat - check!

Button-down shirt - check!

Blue jeans - check!

@theht said:
    No Caption Provided

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't tell; did they finally fix the L2 and R2 buttons? Like, are they still really resistant and springy, or are they clicky now? Whatup?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looked great, and although I really enjoyed the presentation the Bungie hands pic making the rounds is the best thing I saw today.

Can't wait for Infamous, The Witness, and running around Chicago in Watch Dogs.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By kerse

Now I gotta save up money to buy this thing.

John-Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty impressed with what their poising this console to be. Like, they just fucked up so hard with the PS3 towards at its start that it's impressive how well they communicated what this console will be like and who its for.

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchman: I agree, other than their lack of an announcement of price. To be fair, I didn't expect them to announce the price this early, but I think price was the biggest problem with the PS3 (initially, at least), and they aren't addressing it yet. And judging by the specs of this thing, it won't be cheap.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

good show overall. That House dude was interesting to watch. He did seem intense.

8gb of gddr5 was the best news of the show.

Jaguar cores instead of Bulldozer cores tho isn't so great. Maybe without the driver layer and OS overhead of a PC it won't matter so much.

Deep Down looked pretty cool. The rest, meh. Some of the open areas in the Killzone thing looked pretty good before they blew them up. Then it turned into a brown shooter. For some reason they were running a demo for that PC game, Watchdogs. Maybe they should get it running on dev hardware before showing it again at a Sony conference...

Diablo III. LOL.

Microsoft has some work to do. From the leaked stuff we've seen so far I'm thinking they don't have it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@wanderinghands said:

I was unimpressed. I honestly thought a lot of what they showed could graphically be done with the PS3. But, I will wait to see more in the months to come.

Actually have to agree with you there.

No, watch the feeds in HD look how smooth everything is, AA everywhere, high end lighting and shadows.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@yukoasho said:

I'm concerned. I'm not a gamer who wants or needs social integration in her games. I like going to GameStop for my disc, going home and playing an epic story by my God damned self! It really felt like Sony was going out of their way to say the system wasn't for me.

But all they showed where single player games, I'm sure you can turn the share features off, but what's wrong with recorded some cool things you do in games even only for your personal use. For example I wish I had this feature when finally pulling off Mile High Club or me and my mate doing the final mission on MW2 Spec Ops Challenges.

Rohay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Rohay

i googled "8 gb GDDR5 memory" for fun into google shopping $3,300 for a graphics card holy crap .

http://tinyurl.com/b5e3g46

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALTERNATIVE CAPTION:

"IT'S DENIM-BLAZER-TIME."

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen said:

good show overall. That House dude was interesting to watch. He did seem intense.

8gb of gddr5 was the best news of the show.

Jaguar cores instead of Bulldozer cores tho isn't so great. Maybe without the driver layer and OS overhead of a PC it won't matter so much.

Deep Down looked pretty cool. The rest, meh. Some of the open areas in the Killzone thing looked pretty good before they blew them up. Then it turned into a brown shooter. For some reason they were running a demo for that PC game, Watchdogs. Maybe they should get it running on dev hardware before showing it again at a Sony conference...

Diablo III. LOL.

Microsoft has some work to do. From the leaked stuff we've seen so far I'm thinking they don't have it.

there's not 8gb of dedicated video memory. I don't remember the exact amount (prob no more than 2gb) of dedicated video memory, but I believe the 8gb is RAM. GDDR5 is speed of video memory not system memory. Also the x86 CPU is a downplay on SONY's part as the actual architecture of the CPU uses 64 bit allocation of memory on all 8 cores. Don't hold me to fact on this, but it sounds right

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALTERNATIVE CAPTION:

"IT'S DENIM-BLAZER-TIME."

@dudeglove said:
    No Caption Provided

Jeff probably went nuts after they didn't show real-time gameplay footage

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#174  Edited By Y2Ken

I thought Sony did a pretty good job, all told. They touted a lot of very interesting features, and showed a surprising number of unheard-of titles at an event where most of us expected to see very few.

Don't think any of the games blew me away individually, but as a launch lineup goes they impressed me more than most of the other consoles in recent memory. I would say that Diablo III isn't what I was hoping for when Blizzard came out, but perhaps it's indicative of more to come. And they have been implying that they wanted to put D3 on consoles since it first came out.

Tweet of the night, from Alex on Drive Club: https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/304380026479063041

innervoicexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What will next gen Xbox bring? Sony did a hell of a job and have a lot going for. Think maybe the guys Microsoft took a shit all over them self or are they thinking.. We got this.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It was a pretty awesome presentation, not perfect, but far more impressive than any press conference in many years (unless you count the "joke" Konami ones). Count me hyped, we'll see if I get one around launch.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like video games. They had cool games. I'm hyped.

I would like to add that I like video game related hardware. And they had that, too. So I'm super hyped.

(The fact they also did a surprisingly good job presenting it didn't hurt as well.)

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#178  Edited By paulunga

@pimblycharles: x86 is still the correct term, x64 is a bit of a marketing thing. It being an AMD CPU based on the Jaguar it has to be 64-bit.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a pretty successful announcement. While the games were fine, the hardware specs and general user elements were what was really interesting. If they could meaningfully integrate the ps4 with the vita, I might actually get a vita. As it stands, the ps4 looks great and could potentially be more than an exclusives box (which it is for me, at least). I imagine E3 will be pretty interesting this year compared to 2012...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's exciting to finally be back in a world where you're sitting there thinking "oh man how is Microsoft going to top these features??" The idea of being genuinely excited about upcoming console features is so refreshing. I just hope Microsoft actually delivers as I like Xbox Live a bit more than PSN and trophies - although ultimately I'll go to where the better experience will be.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witness got me locked. Now just launch this fucker.

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Dberg

I am really concerned by the touchpad and motion thing. Granted, I don't play a whole lot of console games any more, I'm barely buying one a year, but I'm not even going to bother with the new generation if they're all going to be Wii-Us.

I get infuriated any time I have to play using more than 1 shoulder button on each side of the controller. I don't need more dumb shit on top of that.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I lose all the games I have bought from PSN on PS3?? or can I carry them over? lol doubt it's possible!!

Games are bound to your PSN account not the console lol!!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it was a pretty good show overall, I'm happy they did some talk about actual games and not about every damn tv show/sports streaming service and all that stuff that will be on the console, but I guess they're saving that talk for E3. Happy to see Watch Dogs is still looking great.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#185  Edited By Majkiboy

I kinda feel the same way. Also, kinect being non-optional is a retarded move! (if that is true)

I'm glad that they seem to have the developer support that they need, because in the end, games sell consoles!

@seppli said:

I'm in. I've heard everything I wanted to hear from Sony. Microsoft most likely won't get my business this time around. Microsoft would have to rethink their subscripiton model for Xbox Live, as well as deliver everything Sony did today. I don't think either is going to happen.

And I'm glad, that gaming is exciting again. It's been too fucking long.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great presentation, really got me excited for the next generation. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft respond.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suddenly realized I probably won't buy into this next generation for a few years.

I'm unsure why that is.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really excited about Jonathan Blow being on board. The Witness looks neat, but the fact that he is saying all this great stuff about the self publishing of indie games is great and sets a good precedent for high quality smaller games. I also don't care that they didn't show the console. It will accept games and will probably have USB ports, all I care about.

I was thinking about blowing all my money on a gaming PC this year, but now I may have to reconsider...

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#189  Edited By tebbit

Am I the only one who is disappointed that the logo font is the same as the revised PS3 font?

Otherwise, super strong showing right out the gate.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@seppli said:

Microsoft would have to rethink their subscripiton model for Xbox Live, as well as deliver everything Sony did today. I don't think either is going to happen.

Rumour would suggest the opposite is true. More PSN features, including online play are to be locked behind the pay wall. Makes sense, considering how willing people are to throw money at Microsoft for no reason, but I did really hope it would be MS rethinking their online strategy, not Sony.

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By TzarStefan

I really wasn't all that impressed.

• I don't even touch DIablo 3 now, and I have it on PC.
    • Another Killzone game
    • Another inFamous game
    • Watchdogs, a third person shooter
    • Destiny, a first person shooter
    • An already shown Square Enix tech demo

My PC already looks better than current hardware, so I would rather see games doing something different, rather than just looking prettier.

Why bitch about it? First few games will always look kinda ok...

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think that the only real way this will play the 1,2 and 3 games, including the PSN stuff is through the streaming services. Hopefully these will link up to your purchase history for the PSN games at least.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

Well I can't not get a PS4 eventually but like all consoles I'll wait patiently until the system has 3 or so must-haves for me and perhaps a discount from the initial RRP before I jump in.

I'd like to remind people I live in a country (Australia) where the PS3 launched at $1000 so whatever the US price is I suspect we will be getting butt-fooked a good couple 100 more initially.

innervoicexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By innervoicexx

@wintersnowblind: You are right. But I hear Sony is going to charge for PSN on PS4.. XBL needs a change. I hate to pay for live just to use Netflix. I don't like paying online with other people and the thought of paying for gold just to stream movies makes me sick. That shit is free all over the place but live.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Exactly what I wanted to hear from Sony, they seem to at least appear to have their act together and they talked business. Fascinated to see what Microsoft have in store.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyaza said:

Well I can't

not

get a PS4 eventually but like all consoles I'll wait patiently until the system has 3 or so must-haves for me and perhaps a discount from the initial RRP before I jump in.

I'd like to remind people I live in a country (Australia) where the PS3 launched at $1000 so whatever the US price is I suspect we will be getting butt-fooked a good couple 100 more initially.

There is no fucking way they are launching that thing at $1000 in this country again (seeing as how $599 in the US worked out very poorly) they will probably sell it at a loss.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@seppli said:

Microsoft would have to rethink their subscripiton model for Xbox Live, as well as deliver everything Sony did today. I don't think either is going to happen.

Rumour would suggest the opposite is true. More PSN features, including online play are to be locked behind the pay wall. Makes sense, considering how willing people are to throw money at Microsoft for no reason, but I did really hope it would be MS rethinking their online strategy, not Sony.

I highly doubt that. Source?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@seppli said:

@wintersnowblind said:

@seppli said:

I highly doubt that. Source?

I'd be shocked if Sony won't start charging for their online with the PS4. Or, at the very least, keep sharing and new fancy functions to PSN+ members only. Guess we'll see in the upcoming months, since there are no official sources on this just yet, but again...I'd be extremely surprised if that wasn't the case.

cozmicdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh.

It was certainly a slick programme, but it didn't tell us anything that hadn't already been leaked.

....and having a 2-year-old PC game as your major headline launch (window) title really sucks.

Does it have Ethernet or only wifi? USB3? Does it have BluRay? 4K? WTF does it look like? Cost?

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3, but I didn't see anything that makes me NEED a PS4. Hopefully they're just saving that for E3?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I thought the event was very good for Sony. They showed off more than people expected. The new controller might actually, and finally be an improvement over the Dual Shock 3, and the system level stuff of being able to quick resume, and play as you download are brilliant ideas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.