The PlayStation 4 is Real!

Posted by Colorwind (277 posts) -

So the PlayStation 4 was announced last week and I was really impressed. Unfortunately, due to the closing of 1up the following day, I’ve neglected to write anything about the PS4 until now. The tech specs for the console were really vague but I like that the console was designed to be friendly to designers. Developers had a real problem harnessing the power of the PS3 its first few years. Hopefully, this won’t be that much of a problem for the PS4 due to this design choice. The new controller also I think is a positive step. The triggers look improved, though I think I need to test them out personally before I decided whether or not they’re better than the Xbox 360 triggers, and I like the new design of the analog sticks. The share button also is intriguing to me if they allow me to use the social network of my choice. Making videos of and streaming gameplay could be helpful as I write for a gaming website and the possibilities for original video content is exciting.

The games looked pretty good. Though typical, the Killzone demo looked real good and if it’s released at launch, I’ll probably pick that game up. I am interested in Knack but not much was shown of the gameplay. So I need to see more before I get excited about playing that game. I’m a big fan of Braid so I’m looking forward to The Witness, another game said to be at the console’s launch. Watch Dogs also looks amazing and now that I’ve seen more of how the game plays, I’m really intrigued about the world and the gameplay. The demo for Deep Down by Capcom looks real good but I doubt it’s real gameplay footage. Everything else either looked kind of dull or not enough info was shown for me to care at the moment. A couple of low points – Square Enix should have just not shown up as they had nothing new to even show off and while I’m glad those who haven’t played Diablo III on PC will be able to on the PS4 and PS3, I personally don’t care because I won’t play that game with the always online requirement.

I never get consoles at launch but I was rather impressed by what the PS4 can do and by some of the games. However, I need confirmation as to what the launch titles will be and what features will be available at launch before I actually put down any money. Nonetheless, I’m excited about the next generation of consoles and as a primary Xbox 360 gamer this generation, Sony has succeeded in getting me excited for the PlayStation 4 and I don’t know how Microsoft could top it.

What do you think? Are you excited for the PlayStation 4? What do you think Microsoft could do to top it? Is the Wii U where it’s at? Let me know in the comment section below.

#1 Posted by Marcsman (3261 posts) -

There a plenty of threads about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.