The share button sounds dumb.

#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Do you really need an actual button for that? I don't want to share crap, because you don't what I just did in a game and the other way around. Wonder if it'll make, making quicklooks easier.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

I don't even know what you're saying.

#3 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

You should probably visit youtube. People LOVE to share what they do in games.

#4 Posted by Ryanmgraef (237 posts) -

I think it sounds really fun! I would wait to be negative until they talk about it. It could be like the wii u stuff but with video capturing, and that really sounds like a lot of fun.

#5 Edited by handlas (2719 posts) -

Yes if there is an actual share button the controller that is a waste of space on the controller. Hopefully its a button on the touch screen perhaps (if there actually is one) or just a menu option. Not a physical button plz.

#6 Posted by Turambar (6842 posts) -

What are we talking about?

#7 Posted by MB (12911 posts) -

I think of it more as a "get your friends to buy more of our crap" button.

Moderator
#8 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

I'm sure it's going to be like what the Vita does. If you allow it, the Vita will share everything you do like buying things on the store, show when you do certain things in games or get trophies, etc. and people can like and comment on those things. Which makes it more social which I like. To me, I think it's a neat idea since I'm sure it'll share way more things then what the Vita does.

#9 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

I was thinking it would be similar to what the Vita has, where there is a feed on each app as well as on your friends list that lets you know what everyone is up to and you decide what you want to share. The Wii U does the same thing. It's not a big deal, it is just another feature that you can use or choose to ignore.

#10 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -
@awesomeusername
Fuck you just beat me to it. Great minds think alike.
#11 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4467 posts) -

I like how OP doesn't understand the concept of optional.

Online
#12 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@awesomeusername:
Fuck you just beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

:D The share function is pretty cool though. I like to see what my friends are buying, playing, etc. I'm glad they'll be implementing it into the PS4. Because we know they'll do it.

#13 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Can someone explain what this is about? Where is this coming from?

#14 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Yeah the xbox has a share achievement feature, i think that dumb

#15 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

#16 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1723 posts) -

im not sure if this would need a dedicated button on the controller, but the actual idea is pretty smart imho.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@triple07 said:

Can someone explain what this is about? Where is this coming from?

There's no inherent danger to the rumored share button. The next Playstation records the last 15 minutes of gameplay, and the share button will let you access managment tools, likely to edit and upload said footage - making "Let's play!"-videos everybody's business.
 
And it's a great fucking idea.
#18 Posted by Akyho (1692 posts) -

I used this little trick people call Googling. This is what I found.

The controller
Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.
A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

I think this is also a good time to link this.

An evil-but-clever anonymous game fan, writing under the name X-Surface, has done us all a favor by showing us how little fact-checking some news sources do before they start treating random rumors as fact:
Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/01/23/a-helpful-reminder-that-rumors-are-not-facts/#ixzz2Jos4vTkh

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

A dude hoaxed many news sites by pretending to be an Microsoft Employee and had people thinking info on the new "xbox" was real or possability

I dont believe this new info untill Sony reps walk out and tell us.

#19 Posted by Turambar (6842 posts) -
@mordukai said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

If that's true, then I hope the implication is the PS4 is going to come with either pretty big HDD or unrestricted access to cloud storage.
#20 Posted by Danteveli (1210 posts) -

The whole thing is interesting concept but a lot depends on the editing and voice recording. Trophy guides and making let's play would be super easy but I'm not sure if its the feature that would appeal to most gamers.

#21 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@Danteveli said:

The whole thing is interesting concept but a lot depends on the editing and voice recording. Trophy guides and making let's play would be super easy but I'm not sure if its the feature that would appeal to most gamers.

Most gamers don't use not care for most features on consoles anyways.

#22 Posted by TAFAE (154 posts) -

I'm totally content to ignore it for the most part, but I hope it's not a "fuck, I just hit this button on accident, now I have to wait for 20 seconds while something I didn't want to use loads up and signs me in just so I can close it" kind of button, which would be especially egregious if it were a physical button on the controller.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5892 posts) -

Sharing what you play is becoming a bigger and bigger part of gaming culture, and it's not like it's a new thing either, this is just the evolution of high scores, and sending your accomplishments into magazines and such. Regardless of whether or not I use it, I think it could potentially become a pretty awesome new feature.

#24 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

You should probably visit youtube. People LOVE to share what they do in games.

This.

The one feature of Origin that makes me happy is that Twitch streaming is built in

#25 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (166 posts) -

@Akyho said:

I used this little trick people call Googling. This is what I found.

The controller
Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.
A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

I think this is also a good time to link this.

An evil-but-clever anonymous game fan, writing under the name X-Surface, has done us all a favor by showing us how little fact-checking some news sources do before they start treating random rumors as fact:
Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/01/23/a-helpful-reminder-that-rumors-are-not-facts/#ixzz2Jos4vTkh

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

A dude hoaxed many news sites by pretending to be an Microsoft Employee and had people thinking info on the new "xbox" was real or possability

I dont believe this new info untill Sony reps walk out and tell us.

Keep in mind this is EDGE. They tend to be a fair bit more rigorous than most other games outlets.

That said though, it's not like they've never fucked up, either. I just tend to give their reports a fair bit more weight than another game site.

#26 Posted by ch3burashka (5175 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

You should probably visit youtube. People LOVE to share what they do in games.

Therein lies the problem - there is too much fucking content. Moderation and general voting can float the best to the top, but allowing anyone to share anything is inherently trusting that the consumer can create decent content, which is simply not true, especially not if everyone has the same exact game and tool.

#27 Posted by smokeyd123 (332 posts) -

@Akyho: "Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller"

"redesigned controller"

Don't you fuck with me Sony. Don't you fuck with me.

#28 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (166 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Strife777 said:

You should probably visit youtube. People LOVE to share what they do in games.

Therein lies the problem - there is too much fucking content. Moderation and general voting can float the best to the top, but allowing anyone to share anything is inherently trusting that the consumer can create decent content, which is simply not true, especially not if everyone has the same exact game and tool.

Those that make crap will inevitably give up, especially when they see that all of 2 people are watching their videos. Not worth the time, not worth the bandwidth.

It also depends who's hosting the content. My money's on it having a YouTube upload/stream function. In which case nothing will happen and YouTube will continue being YouTube.

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Seems like a weird idea coming from Sony. Not sure I buy it.

#30 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (166 posts) -

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see this feature, connect to my network, record the footage and just send it to my network where I can edit the raw files from my computer.

Like I said, it'll never happen, but that would be rad.

#31 Posted by Akyho (1692 posts) -

@LevelUpAdrian: i browse youtube alot. You would think people with poor veiws would give up....they dont. I have found 10 year old kids use their Iphones to record lets plays. Siting on a stand recording a tv and commenting from miles away of the mic. with most videos being 0 to 10 veiws. Yet they have hundreds of these poor videos.

Another is a friend of my dropped money for a hauppage. He likes to record his games and put him up no comment. Just the raw footage for people to watch. He has no plans to get big on youtube and dosnt act so. However a guy did go out of his way to steal a number of his playthroughs. The guy was stupid half his stolen playthroughs had peoples names and such watermarked into the video. Yet fought they were his videos.

He did this for 6 months beofo

r crossing my friend who found out and let all those who had vids stolen now. Useing screenshots and lenght times to find the video then watching it to match it up.

Some people dont recognise they are wasteing their time and continue doing subpar acts on youtube.

#32 Posted by Nilazz (618 posts) -

I think it's kinda neat, if Sony are going to put anything in a controller that's not vibration I would rather have the function to record some gameplay than that stupid sixaxis.

#33 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@mordukai said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

If that's true, then I hope the implication is the PS4 is going to come with either pretty big HDD or unrestricted access to cloud storage.

15 minutes of video (assuming it is compressed) is like a few hundred MB. They won't have big hard drives.

#34 Posted by Rafaelfc (1411 posts) -

yay, now I can share my unparalleled ability to find glitches with the world!!!!

#35 Posted by Humanity (9825 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I like how OP doesn't understand the concept of optional.

Micro transactions in Dead Space 3? I won't stand for this! You can't force me to purchase cheat codes in a totally separate menu! AND NOW this share button?! Gaming is going to hell.

#36 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Turambar said:

@mordukai said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

If that's true, then I hope the implication is the PS4 is going to come with either pretty big HDD or unrestricted access to cloud storage.

15 minutes of video (assuming it is compressed) is like a few hundred MB. They won't have big hard drives.

It'll have to be really compressed to only be a hundred MB, assuming it's going to be 1080P.

I uploaded that, the file was a fairly modest quality 1080P video but it still turned out around 230MB. :/

#37 Posted by RazielCuts (2981 posts) -

@Akyho said:

The controller
Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.
A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Why couldn't information like this been in the first post? Instead of the broken ramblings of a 12 year old 'I don't want to share crap, because you don't what I just did in a game and the other way around' (yesh). Weird the thread went on so long without it.

I think this is actually a pretty cool feature if true. Haven't you ever done something flukey cool and thought 'damn I wish I was recording that' even just for yourself to look back on to see what the hell happened. Halo 3 really got me into the habit of checking out after game footage and kept me engaged and care about the game months after I probably would have. I think this is a great idea.

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

You'll love it in a year.
 
Or In a year you've grown up enough to not care about it.

#39 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

If it makes uploading easier for the people who make good youtube vids, then that sounds great.

#40 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Nothing is final until retail. We`ll have this conversation again when that time comes.

#41 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Turambar said:

@mordukai said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

If that's true, then I hope the implication is the PS4 is going to come with either pretty big HDD or unrestricted access to cloud storage.

15 minutes of video (assuming it is compressed) is like a few hundred MB. They won't have big hard drives.

It'll have to be really compressed to only be a hundred MB, assuming it's going to be 1080P.

I uploaded that, the file was a fairly modest quality 1080P video but it still turned out around 230MB. :/

Huh? You disagreed with me then proved my point?

#42 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (166 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@LevelUpAdrian: i browse youtube alot. You would think people with poor veiws would give up....they dont. I have found 10 year old kids use their Iphones to record lets plays. Siting on a stand recording a tv and commenting from miles away of the mic. with most videos being 0 to 10 veiws. Yet they have hundreds of these poor videos.

Another is a friend of my dropped money for a hauppage. He likes to record his games and put him up no comment. Just the raw footage for people to watch. He has no plans to get big on youtube and dosnt act so. However a guy did go out of his way to steal a number of his playthroughs. The guy was stupid half his stolen playthroughs had peoples names and such watermarked into the video. Yet fought they were his videos.

He did this for 6 months beofo

r crossing my friend who found out and let all those who had vids stolen now. Useing screenshots and lenght times to find the video then watching it to match it up.

Some people dont recognise they are wasteing their time and continue doing subpar acts on youtube.

Sure, but on an ecosystem like the one YouTube has, it doesn't matter, because it'll get filtered to the bottom of the shitcans of YouTube where hardly anyone (or really stoned people) will look at it.

#43 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Sooty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Turambar said:

@mordukai said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Turambar: @triple07: He is refering to a recent article by Edge Magazine about the PS4 new feature.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

If that's true, then I hope the implication is the PS4 is going to come with either pretty big HDD or unrestricted access to cloud storage.

15 minutes of video (assuming it is compressed) is like a few hundred MB. They won't have big hard drives.

It'll have to be really compressed to only be a hundred MB, assuming it's going to be 1080P.

I uploaded that, the file was a fairly modest quality 1080P video but it still turned out around 230MB. :/

Huh? You disagreed with me then proved my point?

When people say few it usually means 2-3, at a push 4, so I was more trying to prove that a 15 minute video will probably be far more than a few hundred meg.

I can't say for sure because I didn't put much effort into compressing that video further, but it certainly wasn't using the highest quality I could have, still turned out over 200MB for slightly over 2 minutes.

#44 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

@Sooty: Ah sorry didn't see the disparity in length. A few definitely doesn't mean 2 though :P I was thinking between 500 and 1000. It varies from person to person. And if the recording won't impact performance I can't believe it'd be of the best quality.

#45 Posted by hermes (1584 posts) -

I think its a cool idea. Offline play is good, but sometimes I would like to show my friends something cool I made, my skyrim character or my xcom squad made after them. If this is an easy way to send that to YouTube or Facebook, I think its great.

#46 Posted by BoFooQ (713 posts) -

when I first heard of it has a facebook/tweet buttton it sounded horrible, but as a record button sounds better. If it's a button where I can hit and than record the 15 minutes of game play to my hard drive that sounds easy and handy. I put 200GB hard drive in PS3 and have plenty of room for videos. I want it to be as easy as it was in ps3 to replace hard drive, and I'll do it right away this time rather than waiting years and I'll save random videos.

#47 Posted by jakob187 (21728 posts) -

February 20th.

#48 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

The share button is absolute genius considering the prevalence of youtube, walkthroughs, stuff like that. I personally feel it's an idea that's been a long time coming -- The only problem with this idea, is that there's no way to go back in time and record all the gameplay I've ever played in my life!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.