Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Thoughts on Dualshock 4 touchpad

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wasn't too sure about the touch pad at first, but I've given it a bit of though over the past few months and think it could be pretty cool if used right. For example, I'm not sure how sensitive it can be to where your thumbs come down on it or if different gestures could be used in game. If so, what if each thumb had a few basic gestures (swipe up, down, left, right, slow drags, circles, etc...) This could be really good for games with lots of items and powers to use (MMOs.)

The one thing that I think would have been better would have been if the pad were on the back (bottom?) of the controller by my middle fingers. I thought of this when considering the Vita rear touch screen, which is kinda not so useful. I'd have rather had some buttons back there... and it's difficult to not touch the back bad sometimes. But on the Dualshock, I think the rear touch pad would have felt much more natural and removed the need to let go of the sticks.

Just a few thoughts. What does everyone else think about the touch pad? How would you like to see it used? And if you could change something on the DS4, what would it be?

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Only real use has been AC4. I like the idea of controlling the map with it, but it's sensitivity seems low and it's too hard to press in quickly....

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Steadying

I think it's.....okay? I mean, I don't really see the need for it and it definitely seems like it's kinda there just to be there, but, whatever I guess. Trying to use it to navigate AC IV's map is terrible, though.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Works just fine in Warframe.

10/10 would caress again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It potentially adds like 5 different buttons (up, down, left, right, click in). So more complex control schemes bringing it closer to keyboard potential. Made Killzone a little more interesting.

I dunno, seems to work ok.

More buttons!!

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I think the best part about it is that it adds 4 more inputs (if you consider the click as basically the select button on the PS3 controller), and swiping left, down, right and up feel natural, and work 100% of the time. This will be great for switching inventory and the like.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Opus

@kierkegaard said:

Only real use has been AC4. I like the idea of controlling the map with it, but it's sensitivity seems low and it's too hard to press in quickly....

Does it control in eight directions? So far the games I've played only use the four standard up/down/left/right. If so it would be great for things like weapon wheels.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

I love the touchpad, used it in Injustice and Assassin's Creed IV. I had a few issues with the Assassin's Creed map mostly because they tried to make analog movements instead of you using gestures to scroll the map (which would probably work out better). In Injustice it works flawlessly.

I think as long as people use it for gestures and to simply scroll things up and down / left and right (like a web page) it should be fine.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By r3beld0gg

@opus said:

@kierkegaard said:

Does it control in eight directions? So far the games I've played only use the four standard up/down/left/right. If so it would be great for things like weapon wheels.

I haven't played AC4 yet (on the fence... burned out after 2 and swore off AC.) I wonder if the sensitivity issue is hardware or software based? Like could future games have touch pad sensitivity options?

I'd like to know more about what they can/can't do with it. Swiping in four directions is useful, and I hear is can detect pinching, dragging, taps and long presses. Even if it can't tell if you tap the right side of the pad vs the left side (which would be AWESOME) there are still WAY more than four extra inputs. Up/down/left/right, double swipes in each direction, tap then swipe, press then tap (like say to charge a move then fire.) All of this would be game specific as to it's usability. Also, having too many inputs to remember would be difficult for many users. There would have to be something in the hud to help you remember.

I'm just hoping we see some really innovative use of it rather than having it be just another useless gimmick... like sixaxis... Which honestly I've probably liked more on PS4 than PS3 so far. I actually use the lean in BF4 and played Flower for the first time with it. The typing option, once you get used to it, is good. Wish it was a bit less sensitive for that. The only PS3 game I thought it was cool in was TLOU.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's righteous but it needs a lot more functionality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.