Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Update 1.70 - This is a biggun

Rustafur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Also update for Vita

Can't wait to watch Cigs66 in 720p, all that shredding

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6aa5db70cc5
    deactivated-5e6aa5db70cc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really hoping for a pause/resume for downloads.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Nodima

Can't figure out where to turn on the twitch/ ustream archives. Excited to kick to HD though, and share factory looks neat. I just wish you could export to your desktop directly somehow. I don't own a USB device :(

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Steadying

I'd like a library feature that only shows full games that you own, regardless of whether or not it's currently downloaded. Like Steam, basically. It's kinda there already, but it shows stuff I don't even own in it which makes the list needlessly cluttered. I hope they add something like this eventually.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@nodima: You'll most likely have to make sure they are turned on via the website. Even on the website they are turned off by default as is permanently saving broadcasts that are archived.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just watched the video on the Share Factory and for being an app on a console that actually doesn't look that bad. It doesn't do as much as the software I use on my pc to do video editing with but being able to do some of that stuff right on the PS4 is kind of cool.

I'll be interested to see how long it takes to render some of these videos on the PS4 though.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Man, it's such a good feeling turning on your console, going to system update and seeing that the update is already like 80% finished downloading. Love it.

No HDCP is awesome, but I noticed that even on the "dim" setting, the controller light is still pretty prominent. I wish it had an off function until a game specifically requested it being on.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By PimblyCharles

Embiggen that biggun (sorry couldn't help myself).

It's about time the light can be dimmed. That's really annoying at night.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not even all the updates too. There's more and for the lazy people, I'll copy/paste all the things in this update. I'm copy/pasting from PlayStation LifeStyle.

Big stuff:

• SHAREfactory, a free rich video editor, will elevate game sharing by allowing users to easily customize their gameplay videos with special effects including filters, transitions and themes. SHAREfactory provides access to a robust suite of tools to personalize videos by adding text and video commentary with picture-in-picture capability using PlayStation®Camera. PS4 owners can also add a custom soundtrack to their videos using the included audio tracks or by importing their original music.
    • The 1.70 update builds on this by adding the ability to automatically download select games pre-ordered from PlayStation Store prior to the release, so it’s ready to play as soon as the game launches. When the auto-download feature is enabled, the game will automatically download up to several days in advance of launch. As the release date approaches, a new countdown timer will appear to show how much time remains, to the second, until the content is released and accessible.
    • Disable High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection (HDCP) for games.
    • The ability to export captured videos, screenshots or edited SHAREfactory videos by pressing the DUALSHOCK®4 controller’s SHARE button to USB drive
    • users will have the option to broadcast their gameplay in 720p HD resolution and archive their broadcasts via Twitch and Ustream.
    • Brightness settings for the light bar will be available in Bright, Medium and Dim, accessible in the Settings menu. Users also will have the option to control the on-screen keyboard using the DualShock 4 controller’s touchpad, with inputs registered by clicking the touchpad or pressing the X button.
    • Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) will be introduced for content purchased within PS Store, including PayPal support.
    • Updated settings will allow users to upload screenshots or video clips during a live broadcast, change the default recording time for gameplay captures, and select only the specific screenshots and video clips they want to save on their PS4 system. In addition, users will have more control with the privacy of their uploaded SHARE videos or screenshots on Facebook, with the ability to select the audience to whom the upload will be visible.
    • Find Friends easier and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
    • Trophies will be able to be sorted by rarity from the Options menu.
    • PlayStation Camera and Headsets will respond to additional voice commands, enabling users to launch select installed apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.
    • PS4 users with a subscription to Music Unlimited will be able to share songs by pressing the SHARE button on the DualShock 4 controller.

Little Stuff:

• You can now select the length of video clips that will be saved. The length can be 1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes. This setting is located under [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Length of Video Clip].
    • [Capture Gallery] has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved.
    • Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select [Broadcast Gameplay] in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select [Upload Screenshot] or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select [Upload Video Clip] or press the Square button.
    • You can now set the audience on Facebook for sharing your screenshots and video clips.
    • [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
    • The screen layout for when you are broadcasting has been improved.
    • [Stop Broadcasting] is now under [Broadcast Settings].
    • [Language], [Blu-ray Disc Data Management] and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
    • [Login Settings] and [Initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [Users].
    • You can now set a screensaver. [Start Screensaver] has been added under [Sound and Screen].
    • You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close PSN friends of your own close PSN friends. Your close friends are friends who have accepted your real name requests, or friends whose real name requests you have accepted. This setting is located under [PSN] > [Privacy Settings] > [Real Name and Profile Picture].
    • [From PlayStation] has been added under [Notifications]. You will receive notifications and other information from PSN.
    • Services under [TV & Video] can now be started with voice recognition. Also, the following keywords have been added to the voice recognition feature: “Save video clip” and “Start video clip”.
    • You can now sort trophies by their rarity level.
    • [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback.
    • You can now use the PlayStation App to set your profile picture. To use this feature, you must update the PlayStation App to version 1.70 or later.
    • You can now use the touch pad to operate the software keyboard.
    • You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

YO

Is anyone else experiencing weird screen flickering and black screens? I just updated last night and my PS4 has been bugging out on me ever since. I googled it and it seems like it isn't a wide spread issue. Has anyone heard about this or if Sony is aware of it?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@papercut said:

YO

Is anyone else experiencing weird screen flickering and black screens? I just updated last night and my PS4 has been bugging out on me ever since. I googled it and it seems like it isn't a wide spread issue. Has anyone heard about this or if Sony is aware of it?

Nope.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercut said:

YO

Just saw this on PlayStation LifeStyle:

According to reports, going into the PS4′s Video Output settings and disabling ‘Deep Color’ will prevent the screen flickering some have experienced after downloading 1.70.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The update had virtually no feature I've found myself wanting. Good to see that some people like the updates, though :)

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of this update is of no use to me but it's still a pretty good one.

Even though I don't do video capture myself, I have to say that not being able to put HDCP on auto, so that you don't have to turn it on again when you when to go on Netflix or watch a movie, is preeeetty stupid.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select [Broadcast Gameplay] in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select [Upload Screenshot] or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select [Upload Video Clip] or press the Square button

Does this mean I could stream to twitch, and instead of using twitches export to YouTube function, I could save the video on the HDD, then transfer it to PC and upload a better quality video to YouTube?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Got the archives working on Twitch but my PS4 is still VERY selectively recording things, usually in 30-50 second chunks days apart from each other so Share Factory isn't very useful for me.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Ever since the winter updates that preceded this one, PS4 has not being properly recording game play in the background. Like when GB went back to see that skin color glitch in Madden NFL, I can no longer do that.

In the fall when I first got the PS4, clicking the share button immediately gave you a video recording of exactly the last fifteen minutes of game play before the moment the button was pressed. Now, it gives 30 seconds to about 8 minutes (different every time) of footage that begins like twenty minutes before the button was pressed and ends 19-12 minutes before the button was pressed. It never captures my most recent Call of Duty match in which I did great, rather bad rounds from a half hour ago. It's terrible, and a big concede to what Xbox One does well. Now Xbox easily saves game play and does live streaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.