Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

What microphones are the PS4 using online?

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

There's mics on the camera, one in the controller, and the mono headset mic plugged into the controller. Which mics are being used for online multiplayer? I'm always hearing someone's microphone in AC4: Black Flag and am wondering if maybe they don't know which device is recording as well.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I would expect if a mic is plugged into the controller, the camera is disabled in MP - but if you're streaming, MAYBE the camera mic AND the controller mic is working at the same time? (actually you're asking a good question)

Someone should test this?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cant be that hard. Scratch the mics one at a time and see wich one makes an awfull noice.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I will be honest, the mic that comes with the PS4 works incredibly well for me. The volume goes loud and the voice quality is nice. However, the retail mic I purchased kind of sucks. The volume at its highest setting was incredibly low but the voice quality coming in and out seemed to be clear. I stopped using it and went back to the stock PS4 headset, for now. I will say that it seems like the mic has some issues with hearing my own voice and my friend noticed that he got the same, but only when using the PS4 mono-earbud. Not sure if there are some issues with the mic itself or something else.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By psylah

There's no mic in the PS4 controller, the holes on the face of it are for the speaker.

You have to plug in the earpiece to get any voice to the PS4. Or use the camera.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By cloudymusic

I believe that if you're using a headset mic, that takes priority. If you're not using a headset, then the camera's mic will be used if you have one. If you don't have either, you're out of luck. (To the best of my knowledge, there's no "built-in" mic on the controller, just a speaker).

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oops, I didn't realize the holes on the controller were just for the speaker.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pack in mic while pretty cheap in design is surprisingly good quality in use. I've been using that for chat. Would use my iPhone headphones but the mic is busted on it.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oops, I didn't realize the holes on the controller were just for the speaker.

No Caption Provided

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By abrasion

Who?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.