Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

What price it TOO much for the PS4?

• 115 results
    djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll What price it TOO much for the PS4? (424 votes)

$599 44%
    $529 38%
    $429 15%
    I plan to buy an next XBox 3%

After last night's PS4 announcement, there seems be a general consensus that Sony didn't mess up their next gen console. The hardware specifics were scant, but its safe to assume it will be out this year by the holiday and they will make some type of release/price announcement at E3. I personally am ready to pre-order but my enthusiasm is not unmitigated. I'm not willing to pay $599 and I hope Sony doesn't make this mistake at they did with the PS3.

So, what would you pay for a PS4, let's say the base model is everything announcement for the meeting with a 500gb HDD and some (not all) the online services went behind a pay wall that requires a PS+ sub.

Kotaku speculated $429 and $529 which seems good to me but with all that DD5 ram I'm dubious about the cost unless Sony is willing to sell the console at a huge loss.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

• 
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Needs more poll options or some humor like "3DO price scaled to inflation"

No Caption Provided

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

Some Swedish online retailers are already taking pre-orders on it, and the cheapest one I found (with price guarantee) was priced at 4595 SEK, which is roughly $714. Another retailer wanted 6995 SEK ($1090).

lols

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli

At this point, I will pick up a new console day 1, regardless of price. It could be a 1000$ pricetag for all I care. Hell - my shopping cart will amount to a 1000$ for sure.

I'm pretty sure it'll go for between 500-600$, but will be widely available subsidized by ISPs for much less (even to the point of being a 1$ purchase), together with a lengthy and rather expensive data plan commitment. Sony will likely also put it out for cheaper with a 2-year PSN+ commitment. Or whatever premium service the PS4 will offer. To the tune of 299$ or so.

Guesswork. My favorite type of work.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

PS4 will be the premium, and you'll feel that you're paying a PS3 price again. Solid PS4 exclusives though.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaMisterChief

$400-$599

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly believe if they go past a $400 - 450 price scale for the "everything" model, they will have screwed up. If they want to sell the thing and batter Microsoft, I'd say a $399 deluxe version (biggest hardware, controller, etc.) and take the loss at first to get ahead and just make up with it on having killer software (don't do what the Wii-U has by not having any damn games), and that will do them well.

But, I have a feeling we're looking at $400 base model and 500 deluxe, which is too much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I wouldn't pay a dime over $450 for it.

I also am not going to pay a new bill every month for my console. If that's the route that Sony's committing to, then it will take a few exclusives on the level of mindblowing that Morrowind, Ocarina of Time, and Half-Life had in their days to convince me.

Maybe I'm just too old fashioned or something, I would just rather pay a flat price and own something than I would feel like I was renting it until it was paid for - that sort of thing is reserved for houses, cars, and (begrudgingly) smartphones.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing is too much including my firstborn. NOTHING I SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

@cincaid said:

Some Swedish online retailers are already taking pre-orders on it, and the cheapest one I found (with price guarantee) was priced at 4595 SKR, which is roughly $714. Another retailer wanted 6995 SKR ($1090).

lols

I thought we were supposed to call it SEK!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that $500 is a magic number. North of that and it becomes difficult to consider it viable as the sort of mass market product Sony needs it to be. The system sounds extremely powerful, but it also needs to be affordable.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pay whatever.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I know that <$500 is the goal for actual market saturation, but I'd probably be willing to drop $800 on it if it means everything they described works and the games turn out to be good.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Cincaid

@azteck: Whoops! I'll correct it. :)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think if the good model is priced over $500 than they have made a mistake. It really depends on the difference between SKU's though. I don't care if there's a $700 version, as long as that doesn't mean the cheaper models were stripped of meaningful features. Also it depends on how honest the price is. The Vita may be advertised as 250-350, but with the memory card shenanigans that isn't what the system really costs.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sooty

Why are you saying they made a mistake with the PS3 launch price? It didn't really affect them in the long run, what affected them initially was how piss poor the system was before it got a lot of features added via updates, as well as possibly one of the worst line up of launch titles I've ever seen. And let's not forget that awful controller, no vibration and games having to be patched to support it later on, what a mess.

They came out a year later than the 360 with a much higher launch price but now they are almost 1:1 with the amount of 360s worldwide and Europe is still Sony's territory.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Dude, $1000? Let's not get crazy. If I walk away spending more than $650 bucks in all I'm going to be pissed. And that means I want the premium console with at least one disc game in addition to buying some PSN download only games (eg The Witness).

@hunter5024: Will a base model over $500 be too much? The base ipad is $500 and I know many who routinely drop $1000 on new laptops and iphones. I agree $500 is a stretch, but its going last like ten years right?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

They have a great streak going for them: spectacular hardware, some potentially worthwhile innovations on the software side, and a slew of games ready to be shown. They can't fuck this up with a $599.99 price. Anywhere above $499.99 is too much for this economy.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to buy it at launch.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they hit under 500$ and don't completely fuck us living in EU it will be ok. That's pretty expensive but I'm really happy about the 8Gb GDDR5 RAM, that will make a huge difference in three years or so when developers really know the system. I just hope that Durango will have something comparable so that multiplatform games can actually use it effectively.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna get my bad self all up in this thread and say that I won't pay more than $300 for a PS4. Keeping in mind that I have no plans to purchase one anywhere near launch and that my purchase hinges on The Last Guardian actually coming out.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

At $399 I'd definitely consider getting one, at $450 a little less so and anything over that then probably not right away, unless the next xbox is more and/or seems way worse.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

@zaccheus said:

If they hit under 500$ and don't completely fuck us living in EU it will be ok. That's pretty expensive but I'm really happy about the 8Gb GDDR5 RAM, that will make a huge difference in three years or so when developers really know the system. I just hope that Durango will have something comparable so that multiplatform games can actually use it effectively.

I doubt it will make a huge difference. No PC games need more than 4GB of total system RAM. (BF3 on ultra only uses 1.8GB according to task manager)

The GPU and CPU will bottleneck long before RAM becomes a factor this time around, assuming they have at least 6GB to spend on running games. I wonder how much is sectioned between VRAM, background processes and then whatever is left for games.

Contrary to the belief of many games themselves don't actually use that much RAM, certainly not in their current form and I'll eat my hat if any game in the next 5 years actually uses 6GB to run. (that one game, not total RAM inside a PC)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pr1mus

400-500 sounds good. 430-530 is fine too.

I do feel people really need to tone it down with the price of the ram. GDDR5 has been in use for years in video cards. There are 200$ card with 2GB of the thing and the RAM is only a fraction of the cost of the cards. That ram will not cost Sony a 1000$. 8GB of that thing for some cheapass generic chips bought in bulk directly from the manufacturer probably doesn't cost Sony more than off the shelves 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

Key words there. I would like to get one of these consoles at launch but with their choice of gddr5 ram i have a feeling this will be pricey. I would rather save the money to put into a graphics card.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the astronomical prices of Apple products, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony thinks people will be willing to pay more than $500 for a console.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: I wonder if its possible for Sony to pull an Apple and corner the market on these chips like Apple did with flash memory? I know Sony is a big company with a prominent manufacturing operation. PS4 and all the mobile hardware seems like the biggest thing going for them. If its possible for them to retool their factories to start producing more affordable parts maybe the console won't be a wallet buster.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could have had a wider range of choices in the poll, because as is I can't select one. $599 is not too much for me, considering that if all their promises bear fruit I would pay that. For Sony's sake that should be the absolute top of the mark, and they should also offer skus with a smaller HDD to drop the price down from there.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will pay up to 4500 sek (702 usd) for the PS4

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Where is the "no price is too high" option?

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The specs seem really nice. I highly doubt they will be able to sell this around $399, but $599 is too much. The sweet spot for the console you want will probably be $500.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 cores and 8 gb DDR5 costs money, don't expect it to be cheap. I'd pay more upfront to not have to juggle multiple subscriptions to services.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think anything over $500 is... well, it's not too much for me personally right now, but how many people bought $600 PS3s? Not many, right?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Where is the "no price is too high" option?

775 million

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

i can see a 399 base system and a 499 deluxe

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be happy to pay over $400 and probably wouldn't pay over $450.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is, after the reaction to the PS3s initial pricing, they won't go over $500. I hope that's the case anyway. I'd really like to see Sony succeed with this system. They've made some great customer-friendly moves in the last few years and I hope that continues.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seamus85 said:

i can see a 399 base system and a 499 deluxe

So, is local harddrive space going to be what defines a "base system" from a deluxe one?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: @starvinggamer: I guess I meant the $599 choice to be $599+. Although I think this price would be an extremely gutsy move by Sony. Everything about the meeting yesterday implied that they don't want to relive the mistakes of the PS3, even the new new logo ditched the PS3 branding and went back to the PS2 classic. Cerny even took a swipe at the "cell" chip.

A base model at that price would be expensive. You could build a near comparable HTPC for $500 and that does factor the economy of scale Sony will have.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoozilla said:

Considering the astronomical prices of Apple products, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony thinks people will be willing to pay more than $500 for a console.

Sony isn't Apple. As much as they like to think they are a cool brand, they aren't. Other than the Playstation, and maybe some of their cameras, their products just aren't as popular as they used to be. LG and Samsung destroy them in the TV market and Apple and Samsung destroy them in the phone and tablet market. It would be a huge mistake on their part to think people are willing to spend crazy money just because it's a new Playstation. I just can't see this thing be a success until it hits the $399 price point. Maybe they launch it at $499 to get those non-price-sensitive consumers, but I just can't see mass market success at $499 or more.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Im willing to go to about £300 UK money, not sure how that works out in todays dollar but for me thats a lot of money to spend, I would rather stick with PC but truth be told there are always console exclusives i want early in the cycle and my PC while fine now will probably need a serious upgrade by then and the cost on that is just as high.

TheLighterDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>$550 is too much for me.

I'm hoping for someone near $450.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda envy Americans crying about the price. I paid $600 for my first 360 (Jan 2007) and $300 a year later for another one, and avarage salary in my country (Poland) is around $900 a month maybe? You're not buying console that often, sheesh. I might be coming across as weird but I'd love to have US prices, even with the current salary.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care what the price is unless it is something utterly ridiculous.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By MikeFightNight

As long as it's $599 or under I will buy straight up. Also I think the idea of buying these new systems on a contract is something that will happen. DIdn't the 360 try this contract model at MS stores and prove that it could work?

If you are worried about the price tag of the PS4 just wait until you hear the price of the PS9!

Loading Video...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlexW00d

@kidman said:

I kinda envy Americans crying about the price. I paid $600 for my first 360 (Jan 2007) and $300 a year later for another one, and avarage salary in my country (Poland) is around $900 a month maybe? You're not buying console that often, sheesh. I might be coming across as weird but I'd love to have US prices, even with the current salary.

Yeah having US prices for everything except for Internet and Mobile Phone contracts would be so lovely.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pay up to 500 at launch I think. Anything too much above that and I'll wait for a price drop. As much as I would like to own one, it's just not worth it for me to pay that much for one when I already have a really powerful gaming PC.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sickVisionz

The lowest entry point being above $500 is too much imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.