Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Whine. "Wee ooh. Wee ooh. Wee ooh." ARGH!

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Title says it all. Finally decided to buy a PS4 to play some exclusives I can't get on PC, and I had to turn off Bloodborne after 30 minutes because of the NON STOP disc reading. I pressed the option button and it looks like the game is fully installed (28-ish GB), so I don't think it's still installing while I'm playing. Even if it was, though, I'd think the disc would be consistently spinning at speed, not up/down/up/down.

It's a high pitched motor spinning sound, not a crunch, grind, buzz or vibration. It's the same sound you hear when the disc first starts spinning up, like a far away dentist drill, but it never stops. Spin up for a second, spin down. Spin up, spin down. Wee! Oooh. Wee! Oooh. Wee! Oooh.

Is this normal?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's not normal. The disc shouldn't be spinning at all after you've booted up the game.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, this didn't happen for me.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thetenthdoctor

It's this, right here, just a bit more rhythmic and not so random. This exact sound.

Loading Video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLIyLFIVSs

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sure it's not the Tardis?

Either way, return it or send it to Sony. When I had a PS3 issue last year, I found Sony's UK support line rather helpful (even when they said they wouldn't be able to fix the issue).

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

my ps3 has started to do the same with discs mostly because it has gotten old. its sounds like its constantly trying to read something of the dics even when its not needed. without knowing to much about it it really sounds like the disc drive is having some issues. so if its brand new try trading it in for a new one. that should help. also buy then digital will also reduce it.
    basically what i think the problem is is that its either a problem with some joints in the disc reader or the actual reading of the disc.
    but again im just guessing, i dont have extensive knowledge about this

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem solved, and I'll leave the result here in case anyone in the future needs it.

After some googling, it appears Bloodborne acts very weird if you play it before it's FULLY installed. I initially started as soon as the patch was downloaded, but this time I deleted the game entirely, put the disc back in, and left it alone for about an hour. Once it was completely installed, it started back up fine with no crazy disc accessing.

Seems to be unique to Bloodborne because I didn't have the same issue with Batman. So there it is, person from the future who is reading this. That's how you fix it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.