Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Why does Dualshock 4 use USB 2.0?

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ErEl

The console itself has USB 3.0 ports. However, I can't help but be very disappointed in Sony's decision to use a USB 2.0 port on the Dualshock 4. It doesn't make any sense to me. Any possible reasons as to why?

Fustigate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep cost down?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By e30bmw

What benefit would putting USB 2.0 on the controller give? That's a serious question, does it charge faster or something?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4 Justin258  Online

Keep cost down?

Probably this.

They also probably don't need the faster speeds of 3.0 and I don't think that 2.0 is obsolete yet. They may also be planning on releasing PC drivers for it, but I don't know if you could plug a 3.0 device in a 2.0 slot and still use it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cause why would a controller need USB 3.0?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

Why on earth would a wireless controller need USB 3.0? It will charge the same speed either way...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fustigate said:

Keep cost down?

Probably this.

They also probably don't need the faster speeds of 3.0 and I don't think that 2.0 is obsolete yet. They may also be planning on releasing PC drivers for it, but I don't know if you could plug a 3.0 device in a 2.0 slot and still use it.

You can.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why on earth would a wireless controller need USB 3.0? It will charge the same speed either way...

I believe 3.0 charges faster.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Nubster

@erel said:

@chavtheworld said:

I believe 3.0 charges faster.

They've already said that the controller will charge when the console is in standby, though, right? They're probably counting on most people leaving the controller plugged in while they're not playing so that they can use a 2.0 to save some money.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Because the only time it will ever be connected is when it is off while it charges. Why are you complaining about this?

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker said:

Because the only time it will ever be connected is when it is off while it charges. Why are you complaining about this?

Because it would be nice to only have 3.0 cables lying around which I can use across any hardware.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

Shhh.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erel said:

@kaos_cracker said:

Because it would be nice to only have 3.0 cables lying around which I can use across any hardware.

That's the nice think about 3.0, all of it works fine with 2.0 stuff. 3.0 cable works on 2.0 ports. It's basically the same cable with a little extra on the side. If the console is 3.0 out, you should be fine just using a 3.0 cable to the controller.

And I believe 3.0 can be "super charged" for putting more power through it for the purposes of charging, but lets be honest, it's not going to be a problem.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mmzOne
    @erel said:

Any possible reasons as to why?

I bet one of the reasons is interference to wireless devices that USB 3.0 causes.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

It's probably just a realistic consideration of what type of data throughput is necessary. The controller isn't going to need a 3.0 port.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erel said:

@kaos_cracker said:

That's the nice think about 3.0, all of it works fine with 2.0 stuff. 3.0 cable works on 2.0 ports. It's basically the same cable with a little extra on the side. If the console is 3.0 out, you should be fine just using a 3.0 cable to the controller.

And I believe 3.0 can be "super charged" for putting more power through it for the purposes of charging, but lets be honest, it's not going to be a problem.

A usb 3.0 type-B plug cannot enter a usb 2.0 type-B receptacle as it is slightly too big, but a usb 2.0 type-B plug can enter a usb 3.0 type-B receptable.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By bacongames

If at any point you can plug that thing into a PC, using USB 2.0 is probably better for that too.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously the company chose to utilize 2.0 over 3.0 for some reason.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The faster charging of USB 3.0 can be implemented on USB 2.0 devices and often is.

Honestly, the battery in the DS4 is unlikely to be much over 500mAh and Sony isn't going to charge the battery at over 1C (500mA) anyway. So higher powered charging probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The faster charging of USB 3.0 can be implemented on USB 2.0 devices and often is.

Honestly, the battery in the DS4 is unlikely to be much over 500mAh and Sony isn't going to charge the battery at over 1C (500mA) anyway. So higher powered charging probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

What about the fact a 3.0 micro-B port can connect with both a 2.0 and 3.0 cable, but a 2.0 micro-B can only take 2.0 cables of that format? In other words, the 3.0 version has wider compatibility.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't think of any reason it should have 3.0 aside from faster charging, but they already did better than the PS3 with letting the controller charge when the console is on Standby. I haven't had a need for USB 3.0 yet.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cancel your preorder then.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony needs to get their act together. USB 2.0? Preorder cancelled.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The controller doesn't need it, so why add it if it may increase the cost to produce. Makes total sense to me. Some consumers having to keep both USB 2.0 and 3.0 cables around doesn't, and shouldn't, factor into their decisions.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The console utilizes 3.0 for hard drives and such due to faster data transferring. A controller doesn't transfer data, its just getting its energy through the port. And as people have said, the port being 3.0 means then controller will charge just as fast as if IT had a 3.0 port. I.E. it doesn't matter

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to come with the cable anyway right? I don't think we've removed the USB cable from the PS3 since we got it. Couldn't care less if it's 2.0 or 3.0 as long as it can charge the controller overnight.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erel: why do you think a controller needs to use USB 3.0? Its a controller. It isn't transferring large amounts of data like a hard drive. Do you understand what USB 3.0 is and what types of devices use it?

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By II_SpadeX_II

Keeping the cost down and faster charging I guess.. USB 3 on the PS4 was a good option for the other devices like your phone, keyboard, external hard drive, etc..

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You only need USB 3.0 for storage, anything else is a waste of time and licensing money.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Dagbiker

As believe said, I bet they will release drivers. I also disagree that you need 3.0 for storage as more on said. I can store the same amount of data using 2.0, it takes longer to write, but it's possible. The data flow might just not require it.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Keeping the cost down and faster charging I guess.. USB 3 on the PS4 was a good option for the other devices like your phone, keyboard, external hard drive, etc..

Wait, using 2.0 makes it charge faster? Burn! There could not possibly exist a better reason to use 2.0.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love these topics about computer hardware asked by console only gamers who don't understand how anything works. It's like an Amish person explaining how a cell phone works. They may understand it lets you speak to someone far away but if you start asking tech questions they will sound like idiots too.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep cost down?

This.

Anything that controller needs to do can be done with 2.0, simple cost effectiveness.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
    sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a non-amish console gamer who understands how cell phones work, I have to acknowledge that it seems kind of backwards for a new console to have old technology...but did someone on this thread just say he's canceling his preorder over this? huh.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What would Brian Altano do?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.